• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Queensland TravelTrain - Time to think as a Nation...

Started by SteelPan, March 03, 2009, 12:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelPan

Time for the Aussie Amtrak (Comtrack). Given it's a state election, this may cause a stir, strangley I would think the states might be happy to do it.  Upteen "Boards and Management teams become ONE board/management team - Upteen marketing, maintenance, promotion, IT, and distributions systems - all become ONE system. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

The poor state of long-distance passenger train rolling stock and lack of promotion and coordination in this nation is a national disgrace. For example, I was a primary school student when the XPT's entered service and this month I turn 40 (sigh).

People once travelled on real long-distance trains, ate real food, in real dining cars, not plastic pre-cooked rubbish! Names like the Southern Aurora and Spirit of Progress, SHOULD have been as sacred to Australians as the Opera House or Harbour Bridge, but the bean counters tossed them in to history - after generations of service!

People always say "it's the cost" when they speak of rail, that translates into, rail is any easy target for mindless cutbacks. How much 24 Super Hornets, how much a next generation of submarines - 10's of billions. Rail asks for much, much less.

Now is the time for this nation, to establish a National, Federally Funded, long-distance passenger train system - with a new generation of GENUINE long-distance rolling stock - one centralised online/telephone booking service, greater co-ordination, uniform staff practices, marketing contracted to real world tourist and traveller experienced marketing experts, so if your in North Qld, Western NSW, Adelaide or the Northern Territory ONE organisation can handle all your long-distance passenger train requirements - we don't have different phone companies in different states, or change planes at the border, "Comtrack" to take over TravelTrain, CountryLink, GSR, VLine etc.

Bring a National Standard to Long-Distance Passenger Services - and easier to judge performance and maintain standards!
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

stephenk

It's not just the cost, it's the time. Air travel is currently faster and cheaper. So why take rail? When fuel prices make air travel un-viable, things may change.
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

SteelPan

HEAPS of folks get on and off BETWEEN capital cities and not all towns have commercial flight airports  :-t
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

ButFli

I think I've made my views on this pretty clear in (what I assume to be) your thread on Railpage.

I will add that I'd be interested to know how much it would cost to maintain a statewide fleet of vans and mini-buses that are used to shuttle passengers to the nearest major airport where they could make the trip to Brisbane or wherever else they were going. I reckon it might actually be cheaper than providing the train and it would be more convenient.

It is the Government's responsibility to provide affordable transport to passengers in regional areas and if a heavily subsidised train is the best way to do it then the train should continue to run. It is not the Government's reponsibility to provide a leisure activity for gunzels. To be fare to all taxpayers the transport should be provided in the cheapest way possible even if that means a Spartan train service.

Have you actually travelled on the XPT lately? I travelled on the XPT to Melbourne recently and even in Economy Class the experience was excellent. The rolling stock might be old but it has been refurbished and is in good condition. I suppose the food could be of a higher standard but it is as good or better than airline food and is as good as many passengers would eat at home on a regular basis.

SteelPan

One of the GREAT things I've liked about backontrack.org is, it actually is PRO-RAIL - in much the same way, the airlines are pro air travel and more to the point, the road transport industry are pro road transport, above and beyond any sane level of measurement - in fact, the road transport industry is so pro road, some would argue they have for some years contributed to unsafe road conditions, given the huge numbers of semis undertaking long distance road transport in this country - much of which SHOULD be carried by a world class long-distance rail network.

Why do pro rail people, want to see part of what should be an extensive rail network replaced by mini buses etc.   Why should rail not be one of the backbones of transit in this nation.  What is the real cost - REAL COST - of so much of our road network - what's the REAL cost of repairing roads, often in appearence little more than glorified suburban street style roads - that are used as major highways - what's the SHOCKING COST - of the numerous semi-trailer/cars crashes on those overtaxed roads.

I AM PRO RAIL - I reckon RAIL can offer alot more Australians than it currently does, a first class transport experience and I sure KNOW it can offer long-distance freight HUGE benefits - it's also about Building this Nation, real infrastructure, addressing real industry issues.

Sorry if that offends - but I got sick of sites like railpage, because 3/4 of the folks there are the most NON Pro Rail people you can encounter. ;)

ButFli

I would like to think that there a some people who, after an objective look at the facts, can decide what the best solution to a problem is without letting emotion get in the way.

One of the big problems with railpage or any train-focussed website is that it is split into two groups. One who thinks railways must be built and maintained no matter the costs or suitability. The other recognises that sometimes you have to cut your losses and devote a limited budget to worthy causes. Each group thinks the other is are a bunch of loonies.

I love trains and the gunzel in me would love to see more trains in this country. I am also a realist and can see that we have limited resources and must allocate them efficiently.

ozbob

No worries, all points of view are valid.

We are a strong voice for rail and will continue to do that.  There are occasions when alternate transport modes are perhaps a little more realistic.  One thing I have learnt from this site over the past three years is the value of properly integrated transport systems and fitting the mode to purpose.  For example light rail for the Gold Coast Rapid Transit.  Some situations in Brisbane Bus Rapid Transit may be better suited due to the lighter loadings and more dispersed passenger catchments.  One thing is clear though, rail does need to be stepped up for freight and passenger.  Our Citytrain system will be carrying a lot more passengers in the next 5 years and this is where the bulk mass transit capacity will be gained.

I would not be surprised to see more rail car type services in the future as well.  Travel train will continue but it will change.

:)

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

🡱 🡳