• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

On the Buses

Started by ozbob, August 16, 2007, 19:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowBro

Quote from: #Metro on February 02, 2023, 09:10:32 AMI don't quite understand why they cannot do what TransPerth does and box in the whole cabin.

TransPerth are using the same model of buses as BCC does.

:conf:  :bu

If i had to guess I'd assume its because BCC doesnt have the bus fitted with a handle on the outside of the cabin so there needs to be a way to reach in to open the cabin.

SurfRail

The Perth enclosures aren't particularly good either, they are just open cages.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Another bus driver on a 110 has been seriously assaulted. There was a security guard on the bus who seemed to do not much. 
There will be no drivers left at this rate.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

RowBro

Quote from: verbatim9 on February 07, 2023, 20:23:02 PMElectric buses coming to the Spring Hill Loop.

Grace Grace FB--->https://www.facebook.com/100050262799022/posts/pfbid06i18ux9R2jajaZdGDF5mxnZsza4VC2YNkXJYg2mjoG5PWbB8ovyndFu7Xbzs1eZal/?sfnsn=mo&mibextid=6aamW6

The bus in that picture is transdev. You can see the logo at the left of the image. Is BCC getting more electric busses?

Cazza

TfB will be getting 2 of those Volvo BZLs for the Spring Hill Loop.

ozbob

Queensland Parliament E-Petition

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Work-of-the-Assembly/Petitions/Petition-Details?id=3859

SAFETY BARRIERS FOR ALL BUSES IN QUEENSLAND

TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland

Queensland residents draws to the attention of the House to the urgent need for safety barriers to be installed in buses to separate the bus driver from passengers for the safety of the driver and declare all buses that don't have such barriers fitted as being un-roadworthy and that the buses registration is cancelled.

Your petitioners, therefore, request the House to have safety barriers fitted to all buses in Queensland as soon as possible and declare all buses un-roadworthy and cancel the buses registration until such time as the barriers are fitted.

ozbob

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on August 27, 2022, 00:06:44 AMQueensland Parliament E-Petition

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Work-of-the-Assembly/Petitions/Petition-Details?id=3800

FARE EVASION AND BUS DRIVER SAFETY

TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland
Queensland residents draws to the attention of the House the amount of fare evasion occurring on our public transport networks and assaults on frontline employees – in particular drivers.

Your petitioners, therefore, request the House to implement further measures to protect drivers from assaults, increase patrols, increase the amount of Senior Network Officers and strengthen laws to hold those who avoid paying fares on public transport accountable.

Response > https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/apps/E-Petitions/Home/DownloadResponse/a5febdf5-dbb3-4320-a15e-a2a5f626cd28

nathandavid88

For the first time in months, this morning I saw a morning 569 service again.

Back at the end of January, the morning 569 services were cancelled until further notice due to staff shortages - the service update is still up on the Translink website, and I haven't heard any announcements to the contrary, but I saw the 7am service on the road, and real time info for later services on the app.

ozbob

ozbob

Queensland Parliament

https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/tableOffice/questionsAnswers/2023/369-2023.pdf

Question on Notice
No. 369
Asked on 18 April 2023

MR M CRANDON ASKED MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS (HON M BAILEY)

QUESTION:

With reference to TransLink bus services operating in the Inala region—
Will the Minister provide the separate number of Protective Security Officers, Senior Protective
Security Officers and private security guards currently deployed on buses or at bus stops on a
Friday night?

ANSWER:

I thank the Member for Coomera for the question.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) is committed to providing an efficient and
integrated public transport network, while ensuring safety for passengers and frontline transport
workers.

TMR has been working closely with all stakeholders to enhance safety and security across the
network. The Palaszczuk Government is investing $60.7 million over the next five years to deploy
additional network officers and provide further police assistance on public transport. Our new
Network Officer strategy will provide an overwhelming increase to our frontline transport force.
Almost $4 million is also being invested in rolling out more full bus driver barriers across the public
transport network. Since 17 March 2023, there have been a minimum of four senior protective
security officers and up to four Translink senior network officers (SNOs) deployed to the Inala
interchange and surrounding services and stops each night.

TMR's delivery partner, Brisbane City Council, has additional arrangements with private security
with the deployment of rapid response vehicles and up to four private security guards at a range
of times and locations on Friday night across the Inala region.

The Palaszczuk Government is investing record levels of funding to deliver a reliable, safe, and
accessible passenger transport system right across Queensland.

ozbob

verbatim9

This is a feature of the Nextbus software and it's prevalent in NSW. It's a great feature and I too am excited of it getting rolled out in Queensland.

It's also displayed on front of the bus as well in NSW. I will have to check to see if it's displayed on front of the 30 here.

SurfRail

Please don't.  It's pointless information.

The fewer scrolls, the better.  Council has enough meaningless dribble in their destination displays as it is.
Ride the G:

verbatim9

It's good for route starters for example the 30, 412, and 444 at terminuses. It's not displayed enroute.

SurfRail

If a bus is at the stop showing a destination people would just board it.  Why overcomplicate things?
Ride the G:

Jonno

Bus stations should look something like this and have PIDs to match:

with lots these too

ozbob

nathandavid88

For what I believe is the first time ever (or at least the first time I can recall), my peak hour 555 service had network officers on board checking Go Cards.

Interestingly though,these weren't the usual Translink SNOs you usually see around the network, these two were kitted out in Clarks-branded shirts and vests. Aside from on the GCLR, I don't think I've seen provider-branded staff carrying out Network Officer roles before.

achiruel

^ I encountered two PRT-branded staff checking tickets on a 545 in December last year. I think I posted it on here somewhere, maybe in the fare evasion thread.

Arnz

IIRC there are also Gold Coast based TransLink SNOs that tend to live on Kinetic's Gold Coast bus network.  This is slightly old news but am a bit surprised that Kinetic hasn't jumped onto employing their own CSOs/AOs for their Sunshine Coast operations as well as compliment the SNOs on the Gold Coast network (e.g like what Bus Queensland, Queensland Rail, G:Link and now Clarks does)
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

achiruel

Despite welcoming increased surveillance, I'm not sure individual operator officers are the best idea. Translink SNOs lend more consistency to enforcement across the network. Some passengers unfamiliar with their operations might be suspicious of officers wearing different branding/uniforms. I also think it takes away from the core activity of bus operators, which is to operate buses. Any enforcement & security should be provided by TL IMO. The fact operators are providing their own indicates TL failing at their responsibilities.

James

Quote from: Arnz on May 30, 2023, 08:41:03 AMIIRC there are also Gold Coast based TransLink SNOs that tend to live on Kinetic's Gold Coast bus network.  This is slightly old news but am a bit surprised that Kinetic hasn't jumped onto employing their own CSOs/AOs for their Sunshine Coast operations as well as compliment the SNOs on the Gold Coast network (e.g like what Bus Queensland, Queensland Rail, G:Link and now Clarks does)

SNO's also have the ability to detain individuals and have the right to search individuals - they're almost like police officers, but their powers are limited to onboard the transit network.

CSOs / AOs don't have those samek kinds of powers. They could issue you a fine, however I don't believe they have the right to ask for a full name & address, or the right to put someone in handcuffs, should they be doing the wrong thing. Most people won't question them if they issue a fine, however a switched on individual would know they can just walk away and escape any consequences.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

ozbob

ozbob

Couriermail Quest --> Southside growth corridor gets $9 Million Boost in Public Transport $

QuoteWhere no buses have gone before — a southside growth corridor is now on the right route after a $9 million boost to public transport.

A southside growth corridor has benefited from a $9 million boost to public transport with two new routes for parts of Redland city which have never had bus services.

The state government announced the funding for the new services, which will also be expanded in Gold Coast, Townsville and Sunshine Coast. ...

ozbob

ozbob

Well Brisbane... we asked for more bus drivers, and you answered the call! 📣 100 new bus drivers have been onboarded...

Posted by Cr Ryan Murphy on Monday, 10 July 2023

ozbob

Couriermail --> Watch: 'Beyond scared' bus drivers being abused, assaulted, spat on $

QuoteQueensland bus drivers say they are "beyond scared" to go to work for fear of being assaulted, screamed at and spat on, as shocking new footage emerges of a bus driver being abused by a passenger.

The video, filmed on May 2, shows a passenger screaming at a bus driver aboard a service travelling between the Brisbane CBD and Chermside, in the city's north.

This incident comes after a 13-year-old girl was charged with assaulting a bus driver and a passenger in Cairns on Sunday night. ...

ozbob

Department of Transport and Main Roads

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7086464677886509056/

Connecting Queenslanders with better bus services.

17th July 2023

We've introduced over 4,000 new or extended weekly bus services to growing areas across the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Redlands and Townsville as part of the Queensland Government's four year $27.2 million Bus Services Growth Program investment.

The upgrades mean over 40,000 more Queenslanders can now access affordable public transport within 400 metres of their home.

Data shows local communities are enthusiastically embracing their new public transport options, with more trips to access work, education, medical appointments and retail hubs.

Gold Coast routes 721, 722 and 726 carried 84% more weekday customers in April this year compared to last, whilst Sunshine Coast route 616 experienced a 68% jump in weekday travel in May and we're expecting to see similar results in Redlands, Townsville and for the second stage of improvements for both the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

Check out all the details right here https://lnkd.in/gKz8dH6w

ozbob

RowBro

ozbob

Queensland Parliament E-Petition

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Work-of-the-Assembly/Petitions/Petition-Details?id=3859

SAFETY BARRIERS FOR ALL BUSES IN QUEENSLAND

Queensland residents draws to the attention of the House to the urgent need for safety barriers to be installed in buses to separate the bus driver from passengers for the safety of the driver and declare all buses that don't have such barriers fitted as being un-roadworthy and that the buses registration is cancelled.

Your petitioners, therefore, request the House to have safety barriers fitted to all buses in Queensland as soon as possible and declare all buses un-roadworthy and cancel the buses registration until such time as the barriers are fitted.

Posting Date: 13/2/2023
Closing Date: 10/8/2023
Tabled Date: 22/8/2023

Ministerial Response > https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/tp/2023/5723T1367-9AEE.pdf

ozbob

Queensland Parliament

https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/tableOffice/questionsAnswers/2023/976-2023.pdf

Question on Notice
No. 976
Asked on 24 August 2023

MR M HART ASKED MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS AND MINISTER FOR DIGITIAL SERVICES (HON M BAILEY)

QUESTION:

With reference to the installation of safety barriers for drivers on TransLink buses—
Will the Minister advise (a) the total number of buses and the number with barriers installed as of
30 June 2023 and (b) the forecast number of buses and the forecast number with barriers installed
as of 30 June 2024?

ANSWER:

I thank the Member for Burleigh for the question.

The Palaszczuk Government is serious about providing a safe work environment for bus drivers
and other frontline transport workers. In March 2022, the Palaszczuk Government announced
that driver safety barriers would be a mandatory requirement for all new contracted urban buses
purchased from 1 July 2022. In addition to mandating barriers for all new urban buses, the
Palaszczuk Government is investing $12.7 million over five years to roll out more bus driver
barriers across the public transport network.

As at 30 June 2023, full or partial driver barriers were installed on 1841—or 67 per cent—of the
2754 Translink urban bus fleet. It is expected that, by 30 June 2024, up to 2138—or 77 per cent—
of TransLink's estimated urban bus fleet of 2764 vehicles will be fitted with full or partial driver
barriers.

These numbers do not include the recently announced procurement of 200 Queensland-made
buses. All of these buses will be delivered with driver safety barriers, in line with the Palaszczuk
Government's March 2022 commitment

nathandavid88

Quote from: ozbob on May 23, 2023, 12:24:01 PMhttps://twitter.com/tamhus8/status/1660812793149558784

On the topic of bus destination displays, Clarks look to be playing with adding little illustrations into theirs. For the last couple of weeks, the Route 552 they've added this little train station icon - 552 services both Woodridge and Kingston Stations. Personally, I think they really should add this to the 560 as well, as it is provides a quicker, more direct rail connection from the Hyperdome.

While a new one I spotted the first time was this little factory icon on the 563. This one is a little more puzzling. Yes, the bus does go through some areas of industrial activity (the Chetwynd Street area of Loganholme and usually a little bit near the northern end of Harburg Drive but this was a Saturday evening short run that stopped short of it), but it's not like it's servicing any substantial industrial areas like Yatala, Crestmead/Berrinba or Slacks Creek, which is what I would use this icon for. 

Also, speaking of Clarks (and Kinetic on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts), we have a bus driver strike this coming Wednesday, with Clarks services running to a Saturday timetable + school buses. I was planning to use the trains as an alternative, but it coincides with a Beenleigh Line track closure which could make things interesting.

achiruel

Quote from: nathandavid88 on October 03, 2023, 11:16:09 AMAlso, speaking of Clarks (and Kinetic on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts), we have a bus driver strike this coming Wednesday, with Clarks services running to a Saturday timetable + school buses. I was planning to use the trains as an alternative, but it coincides with a Beenleigh Line track closure which could make things interesting.

Not sure where you're heading, but the line between Beenleigh and Altandi remains open. If you're CBD-bound, you can change at Altandi for Airport/GC services.

ozbob

https://translink.com.au/updates/362551

Gold Coast, Logan and Sunshine Coast industrial action disruptions

We have been made aware of protected industrial action between Gold Coast, Logan and Sunshine Coast bus drivers and their employers on Wednesday 4 October.

This action will result in:

Logan – the network will run to a Saturday timetable. This timetable is in the journey planner.
Gold Coast – there may be cancelled bus services and widespread disruptions, including on demand services.
Sunshine Coast – there will be no services.
Ferries and trams will continue to operate as normal, however, there will be track closures on the Beenleigh and Gold Coast lines. If you're on the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, use the advanced search options in journey planner to filter out buses from your search results.

If you do need to travel, please allow extra travel time or arrange alternative transport.

nathandavid88

^^ Sounds like Logan fared pretty well just getting lumped with a Saturday timetable, compared to the Gold & Sunshine Coasts (my understanding is that Clarks' workforce is far less heavily unionised than Kinetic's - 50 odd staff out of 140?)

Quote from: achiruel on October 04, 2023, 04:55:55 AMNot sure where you're heading, but the line between Beenleigh and Altandi remains open. If you're CBD-bound, you can change at Altandi for Airport/GC services.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I was travelling from Loganlea to Central and managed to get the Airport line service - I was concerned about my bus to train connection due to the action and local roadworks - wasn't sure if I would make it to work on time if I missed that airport service and had to change at Altandi.

SurfRail

^ The Sunshine Coast operation has always had a very strong union presence, moreso than other private operators throughout QLD.
Ride the G:

verbatim9

Rode this electric bus on route 600 last Sunday from Cotton Tree to Caloundra Bus Station. As well as the PID it had audio announcements for next stops together with boarding announcements, announcing the route number and direction, plus the terminating stop. Really good stuff and reminded me of the buses in the USA with all those extra features.

The buses also had USB charging points

🡱 🡳