• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Visiting from the Sticks

Started by Mick_L, February 02, 2009, 20:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick_L

Hi All,

Later this week I will be travelling down to Brisbane from the Far North for a few days and will be using the local public transport a fair bit. Generally, I will visit around three to four times per year. So the obvious question is: Is it worthwhile getting a Go Card? One of the obvious benefits will be having the suitably topped up card for future Air Train trips after landing at the airport.

As an FNQ resident, I had previously largely dismissed the Go Card as irrelevant, but after a recent holiday to Hong Kong and using the truly fantastic fully integrated "Octopus" Card system, I am thoroughly hooked  with the  concept. Be happy to do a post about it if anyone is interested.

So, for a three or four times a year visitor, is it worthwhile having a card for maybe half a dozen or slightly more PT trips per visit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

SockGap

Hi Mick

I would love to say "Yes" but I think the answer is going to be "No".

The Go Card is a brilliant system but is let down by the fare structure.   If you're travelling for 2 trips per day (into work in the morning and home in the evening) then the Go Card is fantastic.  But as soon as you make a 3rd or 4th trip during the day then you are better off purchasing a paper Daily ticket.  Unless you can do it within the windows for "Continuation of Travel".

The one thing the Go Card is good for though is saving you having to find the correct fare.  If you're only going to use it for 2 journeys per day then at least you don't have to worry about carrying change.

If you're planning to use it on the Air Train take note of the thread (I think it's linked at the top in the News (RSS) feeds at the moment) WRT the fare structure not being fair.  The Air Train is not included in the 20% discount - so you're better off Touching On at the Airport, Touching Off at Eagle Junction or Central then Touching On again straight away to continue your journey at the 20% discount rate.

My only other thought - if you put money on the card it's no longer in your account earning you interest.  I know it's only a few bucks (well maybe up to $20 if you're topping-up online) but it's a consideration.  Also would be a pain if you misplaced it up home - not sure how TransLink would go sending you one up there...

Cheers
SockGap

ozbob

G'day Mick,

As SockGap has pointed out you may well be better off cost wise at the moment with a daily or a weekly ticket, particular if making multiple journeys during the day.  But still there is the novelty factor with the Go card and it can be fun to use. 

Remember that after 10 journeys in a Mon to Sun there is a further 50% fare reduction.  Also under some circumstances it can be useful.  For example the other day I touched on at Central, went to Ipswich touched off. Normal fare (single minus 20%).  I then conducted some business at Ipswich and touched back on within an hour (this is then a continuation of travel).  I then travelled back to Oxley where I touched off. Zero fare for this trip as it is just a continuation back over same zones. You can do three such transfers and have up to 5 hours to complete, but each transfer has to be within an hour.  If you did 10 journeys, you could then have a cheap trip to the Gold Coast for example.

If you use the Go card, make you sure you present the card flat to the touch circle and check that it registers the touch properly, and then promptly remove it.

Have fun either way!

Regards
Bob
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Mick_L

Thanks for the replies there chaps!

I am aware of the anomaly with the airport line, thanks to Bobs releases, so I am prepared to do the touch off - touch back on thing at Central. There is only one trip on which I will need to do this. I also like the idea of not having to worry about finding change for a ticket so despite the cost disadvantage, I believe I will pay for the convenience of the card. Hopefully I won't need to make more than a couple of trips per day.

Now, tell me more about the touch on / off stuff. In Hong Kong with previously mentioned most excellent Octopus Card, all you had to do was wave your wallet (or hand bag) over the sensor and it would read the card quite adequately. If it didn't, the gates simply would not open to let you out or in - at all stations.

Oh, and occy card could be used at pretty well all convenience stores for purchases to the limit of your credit, parking meters and vending machines. Are there plans for similar features with the Go Card?

ozbob

Touching on/off is straight forward Mick.  Hold the card flat, in can be a wallet but make sure there are no other 'smart cards' near it.  They will interfere.  When you get your go card it comes with a grey plastic holder.  I just use that, but plenty of people keep theirs in a wallet or bag etc.

Just hold the card in a flat orientation, present it to the touch area, when the light comes on (green for normal card), you can read the balance on the card in the little screen if it is not damaged or in bright angled light.  There is an audible beep too, although the beep sound often fails.

Make sure you register the card. That way you can monitor your history etc. on line at leisure.

See here -->  http://www.translink.com.au/go  There some videos of the card in use as well.

Cheers
Bob
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Mick_L

Thanks Bob,

I must have got ripped off - I didn't get a wallet!

Registered as recommended - by yourself and the nice lady that sold me the card

cheers,

Mick

Mick_L

Okay the 'experiment'  work quite well, and its very comforting to know that if you running it a little close to catch the train, you don't have to worry about getting a ticket.

One query: the TO's were out in force during the visit (perhaps it is normal these days?) and I had to regularly show my card. Had I have chosen not to touch on or off for any of the journeys, is there any portable devise available to the TO's to see if I had indeed touched on? Showing possession of go card does not guarantee I have paid a fare for the journey.

Mozz

Yes I believe there is "a single" or at best "a few" portable device/s based on my impressions given that I have seen it used once and travel rail pretty much every day of the week most every week in the year. They started being used by TTO's around 9 - 12 months after the gocard went live.

🡱 🡳