• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Bridge to Brisbane 2024

Started by SilverChased, September 09, 2024, 11:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverChased

This event has already passed (yesterday) but I thought I would share a post-mortem of how the transport options went.

I didn't see the timetable posted on here. The transport options were available here: https://bridgetobrisbane.com.au/transport-info/

I had studied this timetable prior to leaving and found that:
1) No trains were running my train line (Shorncliffe) due to works at Banyo that weekend.
2) There was a single event railbus running from my station at 4:40am (which is far too early). Other rail networks had a single event train as well.
3) Buses from my closest busway (Chermside) ran every 10 minutes.

I made the logical decision of waking up later and driving to Chermside so I could catch transport at an appropriate time. It seems many others from the eastern suburbs came up with a similar idea as the parking had spilled out all over Chermside, past the library.

Although I had no issues with hopping on a bus, I soon discovered anyone who was waiting at Lutwyche and Windsor were not so lucky. As the buses were always full at Chermside, there was no chance of them catching a bus. Our bus driver noticed this and notified someone over the radio. He then explained to the frustrated runners that a bus would come and pick them up from Windsor and drop them off at Chermside so that they could get on the bus before it gets full.
I can only imagine this extra delay would make them late for their expected start times. Hopefully there were learnings made from this.

🡱 🡳