• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

How Canberra Became The Worst City for Transport in Australia ...

Started by ozbob, September 03, 2023, 09:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Redrient

Having lived in Canberra for 5 years (2015-2020) I can attest to most of what's been said here. I lived in Gungahlin and commuted to Woden, a drive of some 25 minutes via the Tuggeranong Parkway. The public transport trip was more than double this, not because the buses (or tram in later times) were inefficient, but mostly because City Bus Station is about the worst central bus interchange I've ever had the displeasure of frequenting. I'd love to see the light rail extended as a matter of priority, but am concerned the general consensus is the trip from City to Woden (not accounting for the interchange disaster at City Bus Station) will be slower than the current express buses. Making the trip slower hardly seems an incentive to use it. The NCA's innane requirement for no overhead power means so much extra effort getting batteries into trams so they can crawl through the Parliamentary Triangle. Just let the damned wires be put in, get it built and get the journey time as competitive as possible.

🡱 🡳