• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Landsborough visit

Started by ozbob, April 21, 2023, 06:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Plan to travel to Landsborough on Thursday 27th April 2023 for a look around.

Works happening for car park and bus interchange.

8.33am Nambour service ex Central.  Arrival at Landsborough 9.58am.

Time for a good look around, then luncheon at the Landsborough Pub

> https://landsboroughpub.com.au/dining/

If you want to join me, more than welcome.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Works update: Landsborough park 'n' ride

> https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/projects/beerburrum-to-nambour-rail-upgrade-stage-1/construction-notice-august-2022

QuoteConstruction of the park 'n' ride facility at Landsborough will take place between August 2022 and mid-2023.

This new park 'n' ride facility will provide around 300 additional parking spaces on the eastern side of Landsborough station, reducing the need for people to drive across the level crossing to park.

The new facility will include accessible parking spaces, a bicycle parking area and a kiss 'n' ride drop-off zone.

A new bus interchange will also be created, servicing routes to the coast. Buses servicing hinterland routes will continue to operate from the existing, western side.

Dyer Street will have reduced speeds and temporary lane closures during construction.

The footpath connecting the train station to Caloundra Street on the eastern side of the station will be temporarily relocated during construction.

Signage and fencing will direct pedestrians to the temporary path, which will be suitable for users of wheelchairs and other mobility devices. ...

Fares_Fair

Regards,
Fares_Fair

Jonno

Looks like plenty of park n ride already! Doubling down on bad expensive ineffective policy? Bus let me guess half hourly at best?

ozbob

Unfortunately I have had to defer my trip to Landsborough for now.

Hope to do it in a few weeks.

ozbob

Tentative date is now Monday, 15th May 2023.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: Jonno on April 25, 2023, 17:52:07 PMLooks like plenty of park n ride already! Doubling down on bad expensive ineffective policy? Bus let me guess half hourly at best?
Alot of people that use these stations don't have an available bus service nor does it make sense for them to have one as you are just p%ssing money and resources into the wind. Same for those living on the coast where a trip to the station can be as long as the trip to brisbane.

We understand how much you hate park and rides but in a lot of instances it's just simply required.

Jonno

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on April 27, 2023, 08:59:25 AM
Quote from: Jonno on April 25, 2023, 17:52:07 PMLooks like plenty of park n ride already! Doubling down on bad expensive ineffective policy? Bus let me guess half hourly at best?
Alot of people that use these stations don't have an available bus service nor does it make sense for them to have one as you are just p%ssing money and resources into the wind. Same for those living on the coast where a trip to the station can be as long as the trip to brisbane.

We understand how much you hate park and rides but in a lot of instances it's just simply required.
Intriguing that it works elsewhere but not in Australia. Guess the kangaroo not the only thing unique to this country. Goodbye by taxes. It was fun.

#Metro

Horses for Courses.

I am not automatically against roads or P&R. It depends on the merits of the case.

The traditional model relies on high density and high frequency. If you don't have the density, pursuing this model actually damages PT patronage.

I know that may be difficult to hear.

The complementary rapid transit model/Perth model relies on larger access zones and fast services. That means minimum walk-up. By adding cars to the mix, the zone of access is greatly expanded.

A 10-minute car trip to the station gets you ~ 7 km from the station. By contrast a bus passenger would still be waiting at the bus stop at the station if the buses ran every 10 min (which they probably don't out there).

Perth incentivises people to catch the bus by placing a fee on the car park. So that those who have a bus alternative are prompted to use it. Note, prompted, not forced.

The cost of a P&R-once divided by the life of the infrastructure-I imagine would be similar to supplying more buses over the same period.

Once the condition potential pax from Density > pax from P&R is met then you can then develop the land.

Figuring out the context then choosing the appropriate tool is a much more considered position than simply trying to ban any and all interaction between citizens and cars.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

HappyTrainGuy

So properties in whoop whoop should have a frequent buses despite very low density? Show me where this is successful elsewhere without p%ssing money into the wind. I'm talking west of the railway line. Conondale needs more buz routes ASAP!

Jonno

Time to break the "PT only works in high density areas" and only the car will work.  These reports/research that thinking is actually failing many in rural communities or placing a financial burden that they are least able to afford.

https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-source/regional-planning-pdf/transportation/crd-2017-od-survey-report-20180622-sm.pdf?sfvrsn=4fcbe7ca_2

https://vtpi.org/tdmss.pdf

https://cms.uitp.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Knowledge-Brief-Rural-Mobility_FEB2022-web.pdf

#Metro

Context matters. PT can work in both high and low density. But the approach you would take would be different for each scenario.

You wouldn't eat soup with a knife, you wouldn't eat steak with a spoon.

So why do that here?
 :is-
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jonno

Quote from: #Metro on April 27, 2023, 12:27:09 PMContext matters. PT can work in both high and low density. But the approach you would take would be different for each scenario.

You wouldn't eat soup with a knife, you wouldn't eat steak with a spoon.

So why do that here?
 :is-
That makes no sense what so ever.  The research show that of course it requires a different approaches to PT in rural areas...but here is the kicker... it does work.

#Metro

In what way precisely is the approach different?

HappyTrainGuy

I bet Maleny, Montville, Peachester and everything else inbetween love their local very frequent 890/891 bus service. Actually that doesn't go to Peachester. What else does... what else does... ah yes the 911... but hang on. That's a school bus. Could it possibly be that Peachester has more school bus services than general Peachester-Beerwah services??? Ah well. What do old Gympie road residents think about their local bus...

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on April 27, 2023, 07:29:54 AMTentative date is now Monday, 15th May 2023.

Monday 15th May 2023 now confirmed.

Will be catching the 6:35am Nambour service ex Goodna.  Then the 8:35 649 bus ex Caboolture to Beerwah, for a quick look around.  Then the train from Beerwah at 9:52am for arrival at Landsborough at 9:58am.

Gazza

Should do some of these outings on a weekend for an RBoT meet down the track.

ozbob

Quote from: Gazza on April 28, 2023, 13:58:13 PMShould do some of these outings on a weekend for an RBoT meet down the track.

Yes, always open to suggestions. Any ideas for a weekend day trip post here please.

ozbob

Monday 15th May 2023

7:07am Nambour service ex Central.

Arrive Caboolture 7:56am.

649 bus 8:35am  arrive Beerwah 9:07am

Train ex Beerwah 9:52  arrive Landsborough 9:58am

Quick look around Beerwah station and precinct, longer look at Landsborough station and activities.

ozbob

At Central, breakfast. Arrival at Central 12 minutes late.

Door problems IMU101.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Stillwater

I went to Landsborough today. The car park and bus station on the eastern side of the station is operational. The carpark on the western side of the station was full. The eastern (new) carpark was less than one third full. It appears motorists regard the new carpark as an 'overflow' parking space.

Some observations:

Glasshouse Bus Service still operates from western side (makes sense)

The free shuttle bus to and from the SCU still operates from the western side

Curiously, the Nambour bus via Australia Zoo still operates from the western side, not the eastern

There needs to be a sign at the old bus stop on the western side notifying people that buses to Caloundra and Maroochydore now operate from the eastern side using the overhead walkway.

🡱 🡳