• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Citytrain Service Disruption 28th December 2022

Started by ozbob, December 28, 2022, 23:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

UPDATE: 11:50pm - Customers, rail replacement buses will remain in place until last train tonight as...

Posted by Queensland Rail on Wednesday, 28 December 2022

ozbob

achiruel

What is going on? This number of disruptions can't be a conincidence, surely?

@ozbob is it worth asking for a Please Explain from the Minister?

ozbob

^ no idea. I doubt the Minister knows.

Might ask community engagement to detail the circumstances.

???

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on December 29, 2022, 06:10:01 AM^ no idea. I doubt the Minister knows.

???

Done.    :hc

ozbob

ozbob

ALL LINES - UPDATE: 29/12/2022 6.10am : Customers, services have resumed operations on ALL LINES. Residual delays of up to 30 minutes are expected for customers travelling on train services. Rail Replacement buses will remain available to assist customers on their journeys. We thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

^ QR FB

ozbob

verbatim9

They need to upgrade the catenary from Roma Street to Bowen Hills to rigid catenary. In addition they should lay and bolt the track to a concrete bed for this part of the line.
This would hopefully reduce points failures and minimise ongoing track maintenance. It can also reduce dust at Fortitude Valley station.. I guess they will improve the track bed when they do stage two of the Valley Station revamp with the new Northern entry.

P.s. Been waiting for a Gold Coast train for about an hour now at Roma street.

#Metro

QuoteP.s. Been waiting for a Gold Coast train for about an hour now at Roma street.

Are there rocket buses going from the Roma Street busway to Beenleigh? That's what they put on when I caught it earlier in the week.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

No, during this week Beenleigh trains are express Roma St <> Moorooka via Tennyson, then all stations.

Gold Coasters express Roma St <> Altandi via Tennyson, then usual pattern.

>>> https://translink.com.au/updates/187706

ozbob

ozbob

Trains suspended - Roma Street to Eagle Junction, Ferny Grove, Geebung & Northgate

https://translink.com.au/updates/214511

Doomben line trains remain suspended between Central and Doomben stations due to congestion following overhead power lines down at Bowen Hills.

From 8pm tonight (29th Dec 2022), all services will be suspended between Roma Street to Eagle Junction, Ferny Grove, Geebung and Northgate stations due to the same incident.

Airport line
Services will be suspended between Roma Street and Eagle Junction stations.
You can expect delays of up to 60 minutes.
Rail replacement buses will operate between Roma Street and Eagle Junction stations.
A shuttle train service will operate between Eagle Junction and Domestic Airport.

Beenleigh line
Rail replacement buses will operate between Yeerongpilly and Park Road stations.
Shuttle train services will operate between Beenleigh and Yeerongpilly stations.
A shuttle train service will operate between Roma Street and Park Road stations.
Beenleigh line trains will not run between Yeerongpilly and Roma Street stations via the Tennyson Loop.

Caboolture line
Services will be suspended between Roma Street and Geebung stations.
Rail replacement buses will operate between Roma Street and Geebung stations.
Shuttle train services will operate between Geebung and Caboolture stations.

Cleveland line
Rail replacement buses will operate between Park Road and Cannon Hill stations.

Ferny Grove line
Services will be suspended between Roma Street and Ferny Grove stations.
Rail replacement buses will operate between Roma Street and Ferny Grove stations.

Gold Coast line
Shuttle train services will operate between Beenleigh and Varsity Lakes stations.
If you are planning to travel into Brisbane City or onto other lines, you can transfer to the shuttle trains at Beenleigh station.
Gold Coast line trains will not run between Yeerongpilly and Roma Street stations via the Tennyson Loop.

Ipswich/Rosewood line
Ipswich/Rosewood line trains will start and terminate at Roma Street station.
If you are planning to travel onto other lines, you can transfer to rail replacement buses.

Inner-City line
A shuttle train service will operate between Roma Street and Park Road stations.

Redcliffe Peninsula line
Shuttle train services will operate between Geebung and Kippa-Ring stations.

Shorncliffe line
Services will be suspended between Roma Street and Northgate stations.
Rail replacement buses will operate between Roma Street and Northgate stations.
Shuttle train services will operate between Northgate and Shorncliffe stations.

Springfield line
Springfield line trains will start and terminate at Roma Street station.
If you are planning to travel onto other lines, you can transfer to rail replacement buses.

Sunshine Coast line
Shuttle train services will operate between Geebung, Nambour and Gympie-North stations.

United Cup Tennis
Shuttle train services will continue to operate between Corinda and Yeerongpilly stations for the United Cup Tennis event.

ozbob

UPDATE: 11:50pm - Customers, rail replacement buses will remain in place until last train tonight as...

Posted by Queensland Rail on Wednesday, 28 December 2022

Fares_Fair

:ok:
No information on the cause of the dewirement?
Seems a bit odd.
Freight train perhaps?

Quote from: ozbob on December 29, 2022, 06:10:01 AM^ no idea. I doubt the Minister knows.

???
Regards,
Fares_Fair

verbatim9

Not sure exactly where fault occured, but they should install rigid catenary from Bowen Hills to Roma Street on all tracks, as a preventative measure.

verbatim9

I am on the train now heading back from the Gold Coast and we have been instructed to get off at Beenleigh.

RowBro

Quote from: Fares_Fair on December 29, 2022, 17:53:44 PM:ok:
Seems a bit odd.
Freight train perhaps?

???

I was told from an inside source that the dewirement earlier this month happened just after an NGR had left the station bound for the Airport. Apparently from the driver's recount, the wire above began shaking violently at which point they immediately applied the emergency brakes and lowered the catenary. The wire ended up laying on the ground beside the train, so it was a quite a serious dewirement. Thankfully the train was still partially on the platform so they could safely remove the passengers. I'll see if I can get any information about the one yesterday.

verbatim9

No trains to the city now, bus services only from Yeerongpilly.

verbatim9

People going to the airport from here at Beenleigh can get a cab voucher.

RowBro

Quote from: verbatim9 on December 29, 2022, 20:39:57 PMNo trains to the city now, bus services only from Yeerongpilly.

There are train shuttles from Park Road to Roma Street, then rail replacement busses between Roma Street and EJ (for the Airport shuttle), Northgate (for Shorncliffe), and Geebung (for Sunshine Coast & Redcliffe).

verbatim9

Still at Beenleigh awaiting to depart on an all stop shuttle. I think I might get off at Altandi and catch the 140 or 130 from there.

People travelling to the airport were lucky as they received cab vouchers so they could get their flights.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: RowBro on December 29, 2022, 20:35:15 PM
Seems a bit odd.
Freight train perhaps?

???

I was told from an inside source that the dewirement earlier this month happened just after an NGR had left the station bound for the Airport. Apparently from the driver's recount, the wire above began shaking violently at which point they immediately applied the emergency brakes and lowered the catenary. The wire ended up laying on the ground beside the train, so it was a quite a serious dewirement. Thankfully the train was still partially on the platform so they could safely remove the passengers. I'll see if I can get any information about the one yesterday.

There was a slight loss of tension on the ohle. Previous services went past unaffected. 776 departed under restricted signal so was going slowly. When the panto hit the gap between the wires on the crossover it caught the wire and onboard/ohle emergency systems activated. Panto caught in the ohle didn't detract. If you stand there at night you can see pantos spark on it.

Previous ohle failure had a tree branch come done in front of 707/747? as it was transitioning from the airport spur to the subs north of eagle junction. That delay was prolonged due to the NGR being stuck between the two lines and services stuck on the subs Northgate-Bowen Hills. These had to be removed manually by locomotive first including filling out forms before removing the ngr stuck on the crossover and finally being able to work on the ohle. This was a similar problem with Bowen Hills. All services between Bowen hills-Central through the valley were stopped while locos were and crews were brought in to remove rollingstock first. NGR recovery is longer because the couplers are hidden for diesel recovery.

verbatim9

Can they flag it and replace it with rigid catenary within that problematic section?

HappyTrainGuy

You can do many things but considering the cost for the amount of time there are failures doesn't really justify its expense.

verbatim9

It should come out of the general maintenance and operations budget.

Fixing these issues up properly are critical to ensure they don't happen again. Therefore funding these fixes from the general maintenance budget is justifiable.

ozbob

^ Dewirements are a fact of life with OHLE systems.

Rail operators fault check and do maintenance to help keep the equipment in best shape, but now and again despite these efforts they occur. 
Just google any major system and you will find that is the case.

As HTG as pointed out, the cost of solid rail systems for general use is far too expensive, other wise it would be done.

Just unfortunate timing these past few events. I am not concerned.

ozbob

Jonno

Quote from: ozbob on December 30, 2022, 00:06:45 AM^ Dewirements are a fact of life with OHLE systems.

Rail operators fault check and do maintenance to help keep the equipment in best shape, but now and again despite these efforts they occur. 
Just google any major system and you will find that is the case.

As HTG as pointed out, the cost of solid rail systems for general use is far too expensive, other wise it would be done.

Just unfortunate timing these past few events. I am not concerned.
The question I have is "Is the maintenance/monitoring being carried out correctly or are their cost pressures leading to maintenance not being performed when needed (either corrective or preventive)?"

ozbob

There is nothing to suggest that it is isn't.

I am not concerned with random dewirements, much more concerned with the constant signalling and related track faults.

I hope the entire Citytrain network goes ETCS L2 as a follow on from the current ETCS deployment.

HappyTrainGuy

OHLE inspections are very difficult to carry out by their nature (this includes rigid systems as well) but there are inspections by track vehicles (an automated process that uses a few methods like highspeed cameras, lasers and tension scales such as the old bronco bus and it's replacement MMY038. You can't see it during they day but at night/dark you can see some of the systems working such as in this YouTube video https://youtu.be/weVtTxoLDZc ) and crews. Parts also have a regular inspection scheme - some more frequent than others depending on the part. If drivers notice anything they can also report issues to control who can pass it along for crews to look at. Sometimes ohle faults/failures can be simple in nature other times they can be complex issues.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: RowBro on December 29, 2022, 20:35:15 PM
Seems a bit odd.
Freight train perhaps?

???

Thank you RowBro, Ozbob and HTG
Regards,
Fares_Fair

🡱 🡳