• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Southern Infrastructure Corridor (SIC)

Started by ozbob, August 15, 2022, 00:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Gold Coast Bulletin --> Road west from Pimapama to Flagstone that could help solve Gold Coast housing crisis $

Quote'A road and rail route touted as a possible solution to the Gold Coast's crippling land shortage is back on the agenda, with the state being urged to accelerate planning for the 'visionary' project.'

The state government is being urged to accelerate long-standing plans for a road linking the Gold Coast with communities west of the Darlington Range.

Theodore MP Mark Boothman said the "visionary" project, known as the Southern Infrastructure Corridor (SIC), could help alleviate the Gold Coast's housing crisis by connecting the city with Yarrabilba and Greater Flagstone where there is abundant land for residential development. ...

A map printed in a 2009 report showing the approximate route of the proposed Southern Infrastructure Corridor (SIC).
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Ari 🚋

Of course, keep building out to solve the land shortage created by effectively forcing everyone into their own detached house. I'm sure that's going to be great for the climate and wildlife, and is definitely a better option than just making it legal to build denser housing
The best time to break car dependence was 30 years ago. The second best time is now.

Gazza

I think something like this would have to happen eventually.

If it's going to be the case that flagstone is a satellite city, it needs to have economic connections.

Whatever they build it absolutely needs to be road and rail.
Can you imagine if it was just a road link? They got clogged up twice a day and completely closed in the event of an accident.

If you were applying Sydney style thinking, it would be a standalone orbital line connecting Coomera, yarrabilba, flagstone and Springfield

#Metro

QuoteOf course, keep building out to solve the land shortage created by effectively forcing everyone into their own detached house. I'm sure that's going to be great for the climate and wildlife, and is definitely a better option than just making it legal to build denser housing

It is getting a bit too much. We cannot keep extending rail and road to locations 50+ 100+ km away at the cost of 5B+ 10B+ etc. It's not sustainable financially.

The current infrastructure isn't even up to standard, we need to fix that first.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Ari 🚋

Quote from: #Metro on August 15, 2022, 14:04:15 PM
QuoteOf course, keep building out to solve the land shortage created by effectively forcing everyone into their own detached house. I'm sure that's going to be great for the climate and wildlife, and is definitely a better option than just making it legal to build denser housing

It is getting a bit too much. We cannot keep extending rail and road to locations 50+ 100+ km away at the cost of 5B+ 10B+ etc. It's not sustainable financially.

The current infrastructure isn't even up to standard, we need to fix that first.

Exactly, it's the suburban/exurban infrastructure problem -  properly servicing the suburbs is a money sink that costs more than the suburbs themselves pay for in tax. Strong Towns did a great piece on this in regards to roads and utilities, but it's true for rail as well. As long as we keep 'freeing up land' for these developments, infrastructure spending will just keep burning more and more cash desperately playing catch-up rather than actually improving what we have currently.
The best time to break car dependence was 30 years ago. The second best time is now.

achiruel

While Flagstone wasn't a great idea, it at least had corridor in place if not infrastructure for heavy rail. Yarrabibla was just incredibly stupid and shortsighted, and whoever approved that slum development needs to be sacked immediately from whatever role they have within Government and marked as never to be employed by the PS again. Including whichever Minister thought it was a good idea - Stirling Hinchcliffe IIRC. He's not much chop in his currently portfolio anyway IMO, and probably wouldn't be missed.

SteelPan

I got a few $grand$ on Hell freezing over first!  :wi3

It's QQQQuuueeennnssslllaaannnddddd, I can't lose  :-t
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

🡱 🡳