Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Gold Coast light rail - Stage 4  (Read 14247 times)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Gold Coast light rail - Stage 4
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:07:01 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast Light rail Stage 4: Southern Gold Coasters welcome Burleigh to border tram funding

SOUTHERN Gold Coast residents have welcomed a $10 million funding boost to extending the light rail towards the border.

The Gold Coast City Council has committed $8.9 million to the completion of the Broadbeach to Burleigh Stage 3 link, which began construction last month.

Yesterday’s budget also contained $1.7 million towards the planning of Stage 4, which will run from Burleigh Heads to Coolangatta stopping at Gold Coast Airport.

Mayor Tom Tate said he hoped this funding, the first to go towards the billion dollar project, would be matched by the State Government this year, allowing construction to begin once Stage 3 is completed.

“We are ready to go, it’s in our budget I will await the Premier to announce when she is ready to go,” he said.

Construction of Stage 3 is underway and is expected to be completed in 2023, a date commuters say cannot come soon enough.

“It can’t get there fast enough,” said Jo Drake yesterday.

“Because I live at Mermaid Waters I have to get a bus or a lift to Broadbeach South station to then get to work. It’s great because its one light rail trip for me rather than rail and bus.”

Surfers Paradise Clint Curry welcomed the news, saying the project would help the economy in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Division 14 councillor Gail O’Neill yesterday celebrated the “long awaited” extension down to the city’s southernmost suburbs.

“When I ran my first election in 2016 I got an overwhelming answer from anyone I spoke to about light rail,” she said.

“The answer was: ‘we want to be connected to the rest of the Gold Coast’.

“I’m over the moon, I’m absolutely over the moon because it’s been a long time coming. I think it will help our businesses. I’m really happy.”

The fourth stage of the tram system will require state and federal funding, both of which are expected to follow the completion of a business case.

Burleigh Head resident Lesley Hughes said she was excited about the extension.

“I’ve always been happy about the plan for the light rail into Burleigh, I’m pleased it’ll go ahead,” she said.

“It’s going to make things more convenient and the light rail service is great.”

But not everyone is happy. Burleigh resident Leo Harris said he was not in favour of trams.

“I think it’s going to be an eyesore by seeing what the light rail has done to the rest of the Coast,” he said.

“I would prefer a more climate friendly option, rather than the ugly piece of infrastructure on the tracks.”
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: Gold Coast light rail - Stage 4
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 01:34:01 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 4: Alternate Palm Beach route revealed

TOM Tate says he will end his war with anti-light rail “whingers” in Palm Beach by sidestepping the coastal town all together.

Southern towns such as Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun will miss out as part of a radical new plan to get the trams to the Gold Coast Airport.

A fed-up Cr Tate has raised the prospect of light rail Stage 4 turning right on to Nineteenth Avenue after crossing Tallebudgera Creek and skipping Palm Beach and Currumbin. The line would then follow the heavy rail corridor and join up with the airport at Coolangatta.

“People in Palm Beach are jumping up and down about the congestion (they think light rail will cause), well then we won’t go to Palm Beach — we’ll chuck a right at Nineteenth Ave.

“The congestion they worry about won’t be there but it will be near enough to Palm Beach that they can still walk.

“This option is just one I will put forward. It’s subject to consultation and if people want it to go all the way down (the coastal route) then that is fine too. I don’t mind that.

“All I want is to get to the airport in the best way possible.”

He wants to secure a business case study and community consultation before the October state election.

Cr Tate has been at war with some Palm Beach residents over the route of the final stage. It got heated last year when the Mayor threatened to run the trams express through the town.

The State Government wants the light rail to follow the coast through Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun.

A highly vocal group of Palm Beach residents is opposed to the tram extension, arguing it would bring traffic congestion, remove on-street parking and increase high-density development.

It argues the public transport system would destroy the area’s “village atmosphere”.

Burleigh MP Michael Hart has long supported an alternative route to West Burleigh before travelling south along the mooted heavy rail route.
A two-year study released in March by international consulting firm Jacobs Engineering found the controversial coastal route from Burleigh through Palm Beach was the preferred option.

Other routes considered in the study included a line west from Burleigh to heavy rail at Varsity Lakes and south through Palm Beach’s suburban streets. The coastal line was selected because it would be cheaper to build than other routes and deliver the most economic uplift, the Government said at the time.

Transport Minister Mark Bailey said the State Government was “right behind” the airport link.

“I know Tom Tate is a huge proponent of this project, and the Palaszczuk Government has worked closely with his council to get every stage of light rail up and running,” he said.

“We have identified the preferred light rail route to the airport along the Gold Coast Highway earlier this year and we will continue to work closely with council to get light rail to the airport done, and I’m confident we’ll be able to get started on a business case very soon.

“We are committed to building the infrastructure the Gold Coast needs and to creating local jobs.”

Stage 3 from Broadbeach to Burleigh Heads is under construction. It is expected to be running by early 2023.

In June, the council committed $1.7 million towards the planning of Stage 4. It wants to split the cost of the business case and community consultation with the State Government.

Cr Tate says he wants to fast-track construction of the final stage once a route is chosen.

If the cheaper coastal route is chosen, the Mayor has mooted building the bridges across Tallebudgera and Currumbin Creek before construction of the tramline begins.

“We really need to get the planning and work going on Stage 4,” he said.

“I remember well the delays we had with Stage 1 which led to many of the economic problems we had when it forced construction to be sped up and last longer. Let’s solve that problem now rather than wait for it to come up again.

“If we can get the community consultation happening earlier then I say let’s build the bridges before the tramline is under construction.

“To my critics I say this: We’ll build these two bridges so you can get over it.”

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 01:38:08 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail stage 4: Cost of Burleigh to Airport tram extension revealed

Engineers and council say taxpayers will save an eye-watering amount of money if the final light rail link to the airport runs through Palm Beach and Currumbin.

ENGINEERS and council say taxpayers will save up to $1 billion if the final light rail link to the airport runs coastal through Palm Beach and Currumbin.

Preliminary track costings for Stage 4 reveal it will cost about $100 million per kilometre, in line with Stage 3.

When broken down, the 11km route down Gold Coast Highway would cost more than $1.1 billion; the estimated 20km West Burleigh link would be upward of $2 billion, and Mayor Tom Tate’s new 14km 19th Avenue proposal about $1.4 billion.

Those prices do not include any property resumptions or bridges.

Southport-based businessman and engineer John Howe said delivering the project would be more costly than either stages two or three because of its length and the need to build two bridges.

“The challenges are the crossings over Tallebudgera and Currumbin creeks, particularly because there will be environmental issues in building bridges on the western side of the present highway,” he said.

“This will need very careful consideration, particularly with going through Palm Beach they will need to look at the impact of reducing the highway to two lanes in part and the loss of on-street parking.

“Stage 4 is something which needs to be started early and there must be a lot of consultation with the public — there must be absolute transparency with the community.”

Gold Coast Highway will remain four lanes from Burleigh Heads to just south of Nineteenth Avenue in Palm Beach.

From Nineteenth Avenue to just north of Palm Beach Avenue, the Gold Coast Highway will change to become a two traffic lane boulevard.

The first stage of the tram system from Gold Coast University Hospital to Broadbeach cost $1.7 billion. Stage 2 from Helensvale to Gold Coast University Hospital was about $500 million.

The Broadbeach to Burleigh Stage 3 link, which began construction this year, will cost $709 million before its 2023 completion.

The State Government is yet to commit funding to a business case for Stage 4, but it is expected to cost between $10-12 million.

The Gold Coast City Council committed $1.7 million to that business case in its June budget.

A State Government survey released in late 2018 found 91 per cent of residents who responded backed light rail running to the airport.
Stephen Harrison, chairman of the Gold Coast Light Rail Business Advisory Group, said a State Government commitment to a business case would continue the momentum from Stage 3.

“The connection to the airport will be an incredible important part of the city’s network and the quicker we can get efficient and effective public transport there the better,” he said.

“If we can get the more complex engineering and building approvals out of the way, all we will need to do is construct it, once a business case, community consultation and funding are sorted.

“Community consultation will be very important and must be done to address the concerns of stakeholders.”

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 01:40:54 AM »
Gold Coast Bullentin --> MAYOR Tom Tate has defused to an extent his crash or crash through approach to pushing light rail down to the airport.

The Bulletin’s report today still indicates he will play hard ball in getting the project up and running. “People in Palm Beach are jumping up and down about the congestion (they think light rail will cause), well then we won’t go to Palm Beach,’’ he says.

But the option Councillor Tate now raises of making a righthand turn into Nineteenth Avenue at Palm Beach and taking the trams west to the heavy rail corridor and then south to Coolangatta shows a concession to the fears of that very vocal group of Palm Beach and Currumbin residents, who have been campaigning against light rail running down the Gold Coast Highway through their suburbs.

On purely economic grounds, which are pertinent at a time when the nation is staring at massive debt from its bid to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus, the project is more likely to attract government funding if costs are contained. As reported, the 11km route straight down the highway – preferred by the State Government – would cost more than $1.1 billion. Cr Tate’s 14km Nineteenth Ave proposal would cost about $1.4 billion.

The 20km route through West Burleigh to the heavy rail corridor, favoured by Burleigh MP Michael Hart, would cost more than $2 billion. None of these estimates includes resumptions or bridge construction.

What is becoming obvious is that the Government and council will have to work hard to demonstrate how traffic jams can be avoided in Palm Beach if the favoured route down the highway proceeds, given it will be reduced from four lanes to two from Nineteenth Ave to Palm Beach Ave. Overhead rail perhaps? The mayor is calling for a business case study on this next stage of light rail development and, importantly, community consultation.

This is vital. Residents are protective of their village lifestyle – but the pressures of population growth, reflected in the walls of high rise development along both sides of the highway there, have already changed much of that vibe. If Palm Beach wanted to remain “a village’’, a determined stand against tower development should have happened long ago. With traffic volumes reaching ridiculous levels, this should have been thought through by authorities and representatives long before now. What were they doing?

Relief surely lies in an efficient public transport system – the very thing at the heart of this controversy. But as the mayor says, even with the Nineteenth Ave deviation, the trams would remain within walking distance ... at least for some. Many would miss out, and unless the city and state are prepared to build car parks near tram stations down the western corridor, what is the point in light rail rumbling along where few people will use it?

What is required now, in the consultation process, is sensible and informed debate. It is not an arena for grandstanding. It should not become a vehicle for abuse. It is an opportunity to put a case and find a solution.

Residents have an opportunity to put their case again.

If everyone is respectful and sensible, this could be a win-win.

Offline timh

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »
I'm with Tate in that the Palm Beach wingers are driving me nuts. They're blind if they think that Palm Beach still has a village atmosphere. Plenty of high-rises along the GC Highway through there already even without the light rail.

Taking the route West is a mistake imo because it would serve a far greater catchment Along the coast, and having it in the West is literally stealing the heavy rail alignment. Bad move.

That orange route is even worse. Literally goes through an industrial estate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 10:59:52 AM »
It won't go anywhere but down the GC Hwy.

I think a branch to Elanora is a perfectly reasonable step, especially if the heavy rail gets extended there in the interim before it goes all the way to the airport.  That would also be a good way to stage construction if needed.  That would only be an interim move though.
Ride the G:

Online verbatim9

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »
The original option via the Gold Coast Hwy is the the best option as it provides much needed new streetscaping. Plus a new shared path is included along the full length of Palm beach before connecting with the Currumbin shared path.  I agree with Surf rail a branch line to Elanora Heavy rail station would be a good idea once the heavy rail is completed down to the airport. Many say that there will unnecessary duplication with Heavy rail if LRT went behind Palm beach to the Airport.

Offline LRV 018

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 05:24:59 PM »
Many say that there will unnecessary duplication with Heavy rail if LRT went behind Palm beach to the Airport.

It’s not just an issue of unnecessary duplication. With the upcoming M1 widening project I am of the understanding that there would be no room in the corridor for both LR and HR without significant resumptions. Via GC Hwy is obviously the most logical and beneficial option, and one would hope that TMR will take the outcomes of the Burleigh–Tugun multimodal corridor study on board.

Online verbatim9

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
The next stage of the Gold Coast’s light rail tram network could see a radical change, with Mayor Tom Tate proposing to move the track inland to avoid Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun. The rail will instead link up with the Coolangatta Airport. http://7NEWS.com.au #7NEWS

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1286923127289573376

Mayor Tom Tate -

We don't want people lying on the on the track preventing construction

This is a soft political option

This should be an Election issue

That's what Public Transport is about

We will have a fly through

All Gold Coast residents will have a say from Helensvale to Tugan not just the Palm Beach residents

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:38:13 PM by verbatim9 »

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:59 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail Stage 4: Palm Beach residents and business owners reveal what they really think about tram

Southern Gold Coast business owners are aghast at Mayor Tom Tate’s push for light rail to sidestep Palm Beach and its “whingers”, fearing they will miss a huge commercial bump.

SOUTHERN Gold Coast business owners are aghast at Mayor Tom Tate’s push for light rail to sidestep Palm Beach and its “whingers”, fearing they will miss a huge commercial bump.

The majority of a dozen Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun business operators spoken to at the weekend wanted the original track plan to go ahead, running along Gold Coast Highway.

Newly opened Palm Beach fish and chip shop Hunky Dory owner Tory Trewhitt said he “can’t wait” for the light rail Stage 4 to Gold Coast Airport to follow the Gold Coast Highway as originally planned.

“It will add value. I’m an advocate,” he said. “The more people who can get here, the better.

“I understand absolutely why locals don’t want it, but they probably don’t own a small business. My uncle lives in Palmy and he’s against it. He doesn’t want it because he bought here 30 years ago.”

Wildernis Cafe and Bar manager Isaac Burton agreed with the original State government plans.

“It would be great news to bring it this way (along the Gold Coast Highway),” he said.

“It creates more (customer) traffic for us. My previous job was at the Southport RSL and they had the exact same issue.

“When they were (building) that, people were worried about the traffic. (But) It made it so much easier.

“It’s a short-term pain for a long-term gain.”

Their reactions comes after a fed-up Cr Tate revealed a radical new plan for light rail Stage 4 to the Gold Coast Airport that bypassed the three southern suburbs Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun. He raised the prospect of it turning right onto Nineteenth Avenue after crossing Tallebudgera Creek. The line would then follow the heavy rail corridor and join up with the airport at Coolangatta.

Some southern businesses rejected both the original plan to go south along the Gold Coast Highway and Cr Tate’s alternative Nineteenth Ave proposal outlined on Saturday.

Cr Tate said all voices would be heard: “We all have a view on what is best for light rail stage four.

“With stage 3 funded and the tender process happening, it is done and dusted so the plan now should be what can be done to light rail stage 4 all the way to the airport and Coolangatta, as well as start negotiations with the NSW Government to find out their political will to take it into northern NSW.

“It is important we start the planning and consultation process in the near future and this is why we have put funding in the budget so we are ready, willing and able to roll up our sleeves with our resources and funds.

“I await the Premier’s announcement and we can get going with this.”

Tugun Village Florist owner Penny Mavroidis said she wanted the light rail to pass by her shop.

“To take it straight through is good because it brings more business. I don’t think it’s a bad thing,” she said.

Ralph White, owner of Palm Beach shop Ralph White Music for 52 years, is not in favour of it coming his way.

“It’s bad news. There’s a saying - if things are working, don’t change it,” he said.

A Ralph White Music shop assistant agreed, believing light rail would see crime rise.

“Everywhere it has gone has had crime rates go up,” he said.

“Thousands of residents who live in the Hinterland would l have to travel all the way out to the highway just to catch the tram.

“It should be more in service for Hinterland people.

“The best thing they could have done was hit right at (Burleigh) and go through Bermuda st. It would have serviced more of the Gold Coast. It won’t be as much as value (here).”

A newly opened business along the Gold Coast Highway - who didn’t want to be named - was worried it would “bring in the wrong crowd”.

“Around here is very local and community orientated. It’s going to ruin the vibe,” they said.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 01:53:05 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Ann Wason Moore: How to make Palm Beach residents happy over light rail, development on Gold Coast

There are some questions that are just impossible to answer - for the Gold Coast, one of this is: “What in the hell does Palm Beach want?” This week, Ann Wason Moore tries to find an answer.

LIKE the existence of God, like a tree falling in the forest, it’s an enigma for the ages … what in the hell does Palm Beach want?

I know I’m asking for it, and by crikey I know they’ll let me have it, but I’m truly perplexed as to how on earth anyone can make this southern suburb’s very vocal anti-light rail residents happy.

When Mayor Tom Tate announced the option for light rail to sidestep Palm Beach, turning right at Nineteenth Avenue to follow the heavy rail corridor to the airport, I was certain I would hear the celebration from my place in Mermaid.

But no.

Listening to ABC Gold Coast on Monday morning, I heard presenter Matt Webber interview area Councillor Daphne McDonald and she was anything but jubilant about the alternative plan. Then came the callers. One suspected it’s a council conspiracy to build high-rises down Nineteenth Avenue, another rang in with even grander theories of corruption at the highest level.

It seems there is just no pleasing this extreme Palm Beach population. They’ve positioned themselves as the anti-vaxxers of infrastructure issues.

It’s Not In My Backyard writ large. It’s their needs before the rest of the city’s.

Too bad if the bulk of us would like a functioning, accessible piece of public transportation — such as modelled in every successful city around the world — this crowd says “no” and the rest of us must agree or be targeted.

Believe me, I know.

Every time I write something about the light rail, I get tagged in abusive posts on these “community-minded” pages.

Fair enough, I’m putting my opinions in print, I can cop that. I don’t mind if they disagree with what I write and I really do respect their passion, but what I don’t respect is personal attacks; and beyond that, an inability to compromise or even converse.

It’s one thing to disagree and work on a solution together, it’s another to refuse to engage in any discussion and then call people names.

Take this comment from one such community supporter: “The light rail needs to be stopped all together. It harbours crime, drugs and tourists from China. None of the latter is wanted in this country. The three have already wrecked THIS country.”

That commentary is hardly helpful.

To be clear, I am not a blind supporter of light rail, it has its issues and these must be addressed. Personally, I think Councillor Hermann Vorster’s call for the State Government to create a uniformed marshal service to clamp down on drug users and fare evaders on Gold Coast trains, trams and buses is spot on.

I’ve previously written about precisely that, along with the need to take care of our businesses during construction. And yet still I was called a “muppet” and an “idiot” by the anti-light rail brigade.

Seriously, how does anyone make this mob happy?

I can’t say I’ve always been a fan of Tom Tate, but full credit for trying to find a solution to this Palm Beach problem.

Alas, according to their social media pages, they’re not happy with any light rail option presented and would prefer to derail the entire project, or at least send it away from the Coast at Burleigh. Which is not what the rest of the city wants, as demonstrated by the numbers using light rail, but I guess it’s Palm Beach First.

I would love to know what the suburb as a whole thinks. Is this just a vocal minority? Certainly most business owners in the area support the original path of the light rail along the Gold Coast Highway.

I am genuinely interested, and have in fact taken the time on many occasions to try to hold peaceful, considered conversations with the group’s leaders, in an attempt to understand what could pacify this civil incivility.

Look, I understand that it’s hard to watch your city change. And sometimes things were better in the old days, but we can’t go back.

Certainly we can do things better - but to do so, both sides need to be prepared to compromise.

We need to listen to concerns about over-development, but we also can’t demolish and forbid all high-rises. By closing off our beachside suburbs to all higher density development, we are denying the very lifestyle we sought to others. By stopping progress, we restrict the future.

Our city has changed as our population has exploded — but as it has grown, so too have the opportunities for our residents and our children.

Maybe it is true that the Palm Beach brigade don’t need the light rail … but maybe what they really want is a time machine.

Neither, sadly, is a realistic option.

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
All this anti-LRT carry on from the Palm Beach crowd certainly doesn't make much sense, and if anything opposing the proposed alternative just makes them look like a bunch of NIMBYs unwilling to compromise on anything.

Palm Beach is changing just like the suburbs north of it progressively have over the past 50 or so years. Old houses get either done up or torn down and replaced with apartments, the beachfront corridor densifies and the "vibe" changes. Just send it down the highway, it's clear nothing will change the minds of the community in this area until it is built and they experience the benefits the rest of the coast has.

PS - If the state government was canny, they'd look to build the railway line down to Elanora and gobble up the proposed LRT corridor through there to make a GC Highway corridor a fait accompli once the motorway is widened.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 01:08:32 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail stage 4: Palm Beach critics blast Tate over proposed route

Critics of the proposed $1 billion light rail extension have been given a bold message ahead of community consultation beginning on the Palm Beach extension.

TOM Tate has told Palm Beach’s anti-light rail “whingers” to bring their tomatoes during community consultation to decide where the controversial Stage 4 will run — “so I can catch them and throw them back at you”.

The Gold Coast Mayor has urged robust debate between “keyboard warrior” critics and the entire city as it maps out a preferred route for the final stage of the trams from Burleigh Heads to Gold Coast Airport.

“With the next stage of consultation important, it is important we take the whole of the city on the journey, not just a vocal few in Palm Beach,” Councillor Tate said.

“I believe the majority in Palm Beach will want to have the greater accessibility to the light rail.

“That’s why I will be front and centre in the community consultation.

“Bring out your tomatoes to throw at me so I can catch them and throw them back at you.”

Cr Tate added fuel to his war with a group of anti-light rail Palm Beach residents at the weekend when he proposed the tram should sidestep the coastal town.

His radical plan included the light rail turning right on to Nineteenth Avenue and proceeding down the heavy rail corridor parallel with the M1.

The State Government wants the light rail to follow the coast through Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun.

Burleigh MP Michael Hart has long supported an alternative route to travel via West Burleigh to Varsity Lakes before proceeding south.

Among the most staunch critics of all proposals tabled so far is area councillor Daphne McDonald.

She has urged the council and State Government to look at other “more modern” forms of public transport technology.

“The community is well aware of the routes which are proposed for the light rail and I understand the State Government have already done planning for the M1 corridor and they say that will be the heavy rail route,” she said.

“Wherever the tram goes there is sure to be certain impacts, from the dense development we are already seeing to the noise factor.

“There will be a loss of car parking and I do not know how the Gold Coast Highway will cope.

“I believe it is time to look at more modern technology and examples from around the world.”

One major concern surrounding the coastal route is that the Gold Coast Highway will revert to two lanes through the heart of Palm Beach.

Cr Tate wants to secure a business case study and community consultation on where the track will go before the October state election.

A two-year study released in March by international consulting firm Jacobs Engineering found the controversial coastal route from Burleigh through Palm Beach was the preferred option.

Stage 3 from Broadbeach to Burleigh Heads is under construction. It is expected to be running by early 2023.

In June, the council committed $1.7 million towards the planning of Stage 4. It wants to split the cost of the business case and community consultation with the State Government.

Cr Tate says he wants to fast-track construction of the final stage once a route is chosen.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:10 AM »
Gold Coast Light Rail --> Gold Coast Light rail: First look at $5 million koala bridges for Burleigh and Currumbin

Artist impression of the proposed Burleigh koala bridge

THEY look quirky, colourful and cost $5 million each: Meet the Gold Coast City Council’s proposed koala bridges proposed for the Stage 4 extension of light rail.

Mayor Tom Tate will on Wednesday unveil two colourful proposed wildlife overpasses to be built over the Gold Coast Highway, irrespective of which route the city and authorities eventually agree on.

Preliminary designs drawn up by council engineers show the bridges would be constructed using verenoid-style patterns similar to the Home of the Arts (HOTA) art gallery.

The northern bridge would run between Burleigh Ridge Park and Burleigh Heads National Park.

The southern bridge would cross from the Kandra Reserve to the Currumbin Hill Conservation Park on the highway’s eastern side.

Mayor Tate, a qualified civil engineer, has worked closely with the council team on the design and said he has the “koalifications” to make it a success.

Cr Tate said the bridges would strengthen the city’s environmental credentials and protect local wildlife.

“Regardless of whatever happens (with the route), we should now build koala crossings. We should do it now so that when the light rail comes underneath, it’s already done,” he said.

“I don’t think there is anyone who will say they don’t want koalas to be able to cross from Burleigh Hill to the bushland reserve.

“It’s like a green bridge on steroids.

“The other important thing will be to have the approvals for the two bridge crossings in place.”

Council data published in 2019 revealed an estimated 5900 koalas inhabit 41,000ha of preferred koala habitat in the city.

There is no estimate of how many koalas have been killed on the Burleigh Heads corridor.

The State Government is supportive of building at least one wildlife bridge, with one included in the proposed Palm Beach light rail link unveiled in March.

Council candidate Zac Revere also campaigned on building such an overpass in the lead-up to the March elections.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 01:59:06 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail stage 4: Community consultation results revealed

TRANSPORT Minister Mark Bailey says the Gold Coast community will get its say on how the light rail will get to the airport.

The topic has become a hot-bed issue since a “fed-up” Mayor Tom Tate unveiled a radical plan to bypass Palm Beach, Currumbin and Tugun. The Mayor said he was tired of the opposition of a “vocal minority” group and would instead sidestep the “whingers”.

Mayor Tate’s controversial proposal involves the tram travelling west on Nineteenth Ave and down the heavy rail corridor.

Politicians, residents and business leaders have all expressed their option on where Stage 4 of the light rail from Burleigh Heads to Gold Coast Airport would travel.

Irrespective of the final route, Mr Bailey said all the community would get its say.

“When a business case is started, there will be further opportunities for the Gold Coast community to get involved and have their say on the proposed project,” he said.

Mr Bailey revealed initial results from the first round of consultation held in March showed support for the highway route.

“We’ve identified the preferred route for a future stage of light rail to follow the Gold Coast Highway from Burleigh and we’ll continue to work closely with council to get light rail to the airport done.

“The heavy rail corridor needs to be preserved for a future connection of the airport to the SEQ heavy rail network.

“The State Government ran community consultation on a potential future light rail route along the Gold Coast Highway between Burleigh and Tugun in March and April this year.

“That initial round of consultation followed a two-year comprehensive study that recommended extending the next stage of light rail from Burleigh to Tugun along the Gold Coast Highway to the Airport.”

The next round of consultation will be held after a deal is struck between the council and government on a business case.

Cr Tate stoked the fire in his war with anti-light rail protesters this week by asking them to “bring tomatoes” to community consultation “so he can catch them and throw them back at you”.

On Wednesday, he said he looked forward to constructive criticism.

“I welcome that because it will make it better,” he said.

“Light rail Stage 4 belongs to the whole of the city and there will be the to-and-fro of criticism but it will be up to us to educate and learn what is the best solution going to the airport.

“I have my view but now is the time to think it through. If you are an easy-going person, take carriage of it and put your ideas out there when the consultation process begins soon.”

Offline timh

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 07:02:19 AM »

Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail stage 4: Community consultation results revealed

“We’ve identified the preferred route for a future stage of light rail to follow the Gold Coast Highway from Burleigh and we’ll continue to work closely with council to get light rail to the airport done.

“The heavy rail corridor needs to be preserved for a future connection of the airport to the SEQ heavy rail network."

Good to see some common sense from Bailey here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Gazza

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 09:21:10 AM »
It's funny reading the comments on the GCBs FB page on articles about Light Rail.

The main opponent to the extensions, Karen Rowles basically abused anyone who supports the extension the comments, but now anytime she does that these days people make fun of her for literally being a Karen, so she might have to rethink the approach of YELLING AT PEOPLE ONLINE IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
 :-r

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Palm Reach residents, business owners fear retribution over Gold Coast Stage 4 light rail debate

Palm Beach business owners and residents fear retribution from the anti-light rail movement as Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate slams “cowardly” behaviour from the group.

MANY Palm Beach business owners and residents are reluctant to voice their opinion about the proposed Stage 4 light rail due to fears of retribution.

The Gold Coast Bulletin asked 70 business owners, residents and staff if they supported the light rail running through Palm Beach on its way to the airport at Coolangatta.

It comes after Mayor Tom Tate last week urged a robust debate between anti-light rail “whingers” and the rest of the city.

Cr Tate said it was important the whole city shared their views on the light rail network, not just a “vocal few in Palm Beach”.

A majority of businesses owners and residents asked about the light rail were not keen to go on the record because they feared backlash if their answer differed to the community.

More than half of the 70 people interviewed declined to comment. Some said they had already faced negativity from the community.

A restaurant owner explained his business partner was reported in the Gold Coast Bulletin supporting the final stage of the light rail and was called out by his customers.

He said some Palm Beach residents were not happy his business partner had endorsed the final stage of light rail because it “didn’t support what the community wanted”.

Another business owner, who also declined to comment, said customers were both for and against the project and she did not want to upset them by voicing her opinion.

Cr Tate said now more than ever local businesses needed support.

“This is cowardly behaviour,” he said of the alleged threats to business owners and staff. “Right now we need to be supporting local businesses more than ever.

“Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion and it’s disturbing to think that business owners are copping it for supporting an infrastructure project that supports the economy and ultimately their livelihood.

“The vocal minority strikes again.

“I would remind this vocal minority that this is a whole-of-Gold-Coast matter. It is not just about Palm Beach.

“Are they going down to Coolangatta and voicing their opinion there or going up to Helensvale? We will consult with the whole of the Gold Coast about this project.”

The Gold Coast Bulletin asked Facebook group Palm Beach Locals 4221 if business owners should fear speaking up about the project, but most sidestepped the question.

Nikki Archer wrote that if business owners were certain of the light rail’s merits and were “adult enough” to run a business, they could have the conviction of their words in public.

“It’s a little revealing they’ve not done their market research on this by looking to Stage 2 business precincts like Southport and Surfers. Palmy businesses will be lucky to last through the years of construction. Be it on their own heads to advocate for it.

“If the light rail works, if it will economically and socially benefit the communities they live and work in, then they should have the confidence of their facts.

“(The) issue is there is no community consultation. We have divisive ‘leadership’ bringing discourse down to throwing tomatoes.”

Steve Mackney said if business owners thought the light rail would improve their traffic flow and turnover, “they’re delusional”.

“If they are relying on it coming through for this to happen they really need to have a good look at their business plan.” ...

Online verbatim9

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »
#EXCLUSIVE: #GoldCoast City Council and the Queensland Government are set to commence a business case for the Stage Four of the @gclightrail, in a bid to fast track a particular part of the project. @BrendonWolf9 #9News https://t.co/SSUAtRNwaz

https://twitter.com/9NewsGoldCoast/status/1290915338650099719

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/AnnastaciaMP/status/1291181107594002433

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »
http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/8/6/plans-on-track-for-light-rail-to-the-gold-coast-airport

Media Statements

Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Thursday, August 06, 2020

Plans on track for light rail to the Gold Coast Airport

Plans for a future light rail link to the Gold Coast Airport are on track thanks to a pledge by the Palaszczuk Government and the City of Gold Coast to start the business case.

Future east-west bus and light rail connections will also be explored with a study to prioritise rapid transit options on the Broadbeach – Robina and Broadbeach – Nerang corridors.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was on the Gold Coast to announce the $7 million deal today, which would be funded under a 50/50 partnership between the State and Council.

“This business case will support the next critical steps needed to push major transport investments on the Gold Coast forward which is vital for Queensland’s economic recovery,” the Premier said.

“This is about building a pipeline of projects that can continue to support and create jobs, boost our economy and improve transport for locals, particularly those living on the southern end of the Gold Coast.”

The Premier said the global pandemic impacted economies around the world, including here in Queensland.

“But it’s because we’re continuing to manage the health response that we’re able to focus on Queensland’s economic recovery plan,” the Premier said.

“At the heart of that plan is a $50 billion guarantee to invest in large infrastructure projects that will support and sustain jobs for Queenslanders for years to come.

“We’re already doing that on the Gold Coast with the $1 billion M1 upgrade between Varsity Lakes to Tugun underway now, supporting almost 850 jobs and we’re nearly ready to award the contract to build the next stage of Gold Coast Light Rail from Broadbeach to Burleigh, creating 760 jobs.

“I want to thank Mayor Tom Tate for his continued support for light rail, this partnership funding means we can now start planning for the 13km corridor from Burleigh Heads to Coolangatta.”

City of Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said the southern light rail link was of strategic importance to the Gold Coast, Queensland and New South Wales

“It will result in a 40km public transport spine linking key employment, transport, health and education nodes, with an opportunity to also connect with the growing northern New South Wales economic region,” Mr Tate said.

“I thank the Queensland Government for their commitment to this business case.

“The entire light rail project is an example of the great things that can be delivered when all 3 levels of government work together collaboratively and I expect Stage 4 to prove that once again.

“Ideally we will finish Stage 3 and immediately break ground on Stage 4.”

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the partnership with Council had been critical for supporting light rail on the Gold Coast.

“Earlier this year, G:link celebrated its 50 millionth passenger trip since services began in July 2014,” Mr Bailey said.

“Much like its famous beaches and surfside towers, the iconic blue and yellow trams are now inextricably linked with the Gold Coast’s identity.

“Locals and visitors love light rail, and our government has backed each new stage thanks to the support we’ve received from the City of Gold Coast.

“It was Labor that got light rail started on the Gold Coast, and we built stage 2 in record time for the Commonwealth Games.

“We’re underway with stage 3, and now we’re moving forward with plans for stage 4 and beyond.”

Member for Gaven Meaghan Scanlon said work would start this year on the $5 million light rail Stage 4 (previously known as Stage 3B) business case, as well as on the $2 million east-west transport corridors study.

“The study into those key east-west road corridors will determine short and long-term options to improve public transport, including rapid bus services and whether they can accommodate future spur lines for light rail,” Ms Scanlon said.

“Building light rail is a priority, but we also need to plan for the future of public transport on these key east-west arterial routes.”

Ms Scanlon said the east-west transport study would assess the potential for light rail to connect to Metricon Stadium and look at locations for infrastructure such as bus stops and stations, electric vehicle charging requirements and depot infrastructure along those corridors.

“With work rapidly progressing on stage 1 of the Coomera Connector, which will connect to Nerang Broadbeach Road near Metricon Stadium, this is the ideal time to be putting plans in place for future public transport,” she said.

The transport planning partnership comes as the results of an independent survey revealed community support for the Stage 4 light rail alignment sticking to the Gold Coast Highway instead of going west to use up the heavy rail corridor.

Minister Bailey said the survey of southern Gold Coast residents and businesses conducted in March and April this year showed a clear preference for light rail to run along the highway between Burleigh and Tugun.

''The survey revealed 58 per cent of respondents backed the light rail extension from Burleigh Heads to Tugun compared to 25 per cent who preferred bus lanes,” he said.

''The resounding message from many residents was that taking this approach would result in improved walking and cycling paths, reduced traffic congestion and a faster and easier journey for commuters.

“It doesn’t make sense to send the light rail west towards the M1 and then use up the heavy rail line, as local LNP members have called for.

“The LNP plan would effectively cut the connection between the Gold Coast Airport and the rest of south-east Queensland’s heavy rail network.

“The community understands the importance of preserving the option of future heavy rail to the Airport, with 87 per cent of people in this survey backing that option.

“We’re planning for a future light rail extension that actually takes locals and tourists where they want to go - to the beach, dining and retail centres and beachside accommodation, as well as connecting them to the airport.”

Gold Coast Highway (Burleigh Heads to Tugun) Multi-modal Corridor Study community consultation report is available at on the TMR website www.tmr.qld.gov.au/goldcoasthwymultimodalstudy

ENDS

Offline kram0

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
A 'smart state' government would be building the rail extension to the southern GC and airport now, in partnership with the M1 extension works and trying to find infrastructure cost savings by doing so.  :frs: 

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail: Millions to be spent on business case for airport link

MORE than $7 million will be spent on a business case on extending the light rail to Gold Coast Airport.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Mayor Tom Tate on Thursday morning announced the deal, which will also see investigations into rapid transit options to Robina and Nerang.

The $7 million will be spent evenly between the state and council.

“This business case will support the next critical steps needed to push major transport investment on the Gold Coast forward, which is vital for Queensland’s economic recovery,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“This is about building a pipeline of projects that can continue to support and create jobs, boost our economy and improve transport for locals, particularly those living on the southern end of the Gold Coast.”

“It will result in a 40km public transport spine linking key employment, transport, health and education locations,” he said.

“Ideally we will finish stage 3 and immediately break ground on stage 4.”

That would occur in 2023.

The east-west transport study will assess the potential for light rail to connect to Metricon Stadium and look at locations for infrastructure such as bus stops and stations, electric vehicle charging requirements and depot infrastructure along the corridors.

Online verbatim9

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
It's not really specified when they expect the East West electric BRT to take effect. With the aging bus fleet on the Gold Coast one would think that 2022 would be the most ideal and latest date for an East West electric BRT system to become operational.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 09:30:34 PM »
It's not really specified when they expect the East West electric BRT to take effect. With the aging bus fleet on the Gold Coast one would think that 2022 would be the most ideal and latest date for an East West electric BRT system to become operational.

Why?
Ride the G:

Offline Gazza

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

Why?
Im guessing because a new Woolworths is due to open out there or something  :conf

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »
Has Karen succeeded in getting you banned from the ACE page yet?   :pr  :hg

Ride the G:

Online verbatim9

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

Why?
As you have mentioned in the past the Gold Coast fleet of buses are approaching end of serviceable life. If the electric BRT East West network gets up and running by mid to late 2022? It means that Qld can meet ongoing emission controls, as well as redeploy newer low emission buses to utilise on other parts of the GC network. I can't see the Government building an East West LRT network within the next 6 years. So this electric BRT articulated proposal is a very good plausible solution.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »
As you have mentioned in the past the Gold Coast fleet of buses are approaching end of serviceable life.

No they aren't.  The fleet gets renewed regularly.  There have been over 30 new buses on the Gold Coast since the start of last year with more coming, so around around 5% of the fleet strength each year gets swapped out.  In any event, this should represent an increase in services so more buses will be needed than ongoing replacement.

If the electric BRT East West network gets up and running by mid to late 2022? It means that Qld can meet ongoing emission controls, as well as redeploy newer low emission buses to utilise on other parts of the GC network. I can't see the Government building an East West LRT network within the next 6 years. So this electric BRT articulated proposal is a very good plausible solution.

Or we could just run more of the buses we already have and don't waste time trying to generate patronage through expensive gimmicks that come at significantly greater capital outlay.

Leave the electrics for when they don't cost twice as much as a low emission diesel.  That time will come, but it isn't now.
Ride the G:

Offline City Designer

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
A 'smart state' government would be building the rail extension to the southern GC and airport now, in partnership with the M1 extension works and trying to find infrastructure cost savings by doing so.  :frs:

Do a multi-modal station at Nineteen Avenue and transfer to heavy rail? Spit balling here.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
Nah, who wants to interchange one stop from their final destination, especially since heavy rail runs at a mismatched frequency.

Besides, LR has benefits for Kirra and Cooly town center...You want to have the LR continue past the airport to the border for good local connectivity and to fully replace the 700.

I reckon this is being positioned to be a wedge issue. LNP members have already said they dont want it in Palm Beach, so its easy to paint them as being anti PT and demonstrate a route that bypasses the suburb is both expensive and silly.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:37:05 PM by Gazza »

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »

Do a multi-modal station at Nineteen Avenue and transfer to heavy rail? Spit balling here.

If you were staging heavy rail it would be to Elanora with a light rail spur from the highway via Thrower Drive.  That spur would have utility in and of itself even if both light and heavy rail cross Currumbin Creek - it could be the southern terminus of the coastal light rail route until it pushes further south, either on an interim basis while the rest of Stage 4 is built or for longer if the money dries up.

I'm of the view Elanora, Tugun and the Airport should be the only stations south of Varsity (in QLD anyway).  Tallebudgera wouldn't be a lot closer than Varsity or Elanora to anywhere significant.  Tugun I'm less opposed to since it has the John Flynn Hospital, the Cobaki development and good park and ride potential (since a lot of the surrounding land can't be intensively developed due to proximity to the airport and other factors).

Far better would be for the Commonwealth to pull its head out of its arse and just fund heavy rail to the airport and light rail to Coolangatta in one hit, and to do likewise for other necessary projects around the country.
Ride the G:

Offline Gazza

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 06:00:21 PM »
it could be the southern terminus of the coastal light rail route until it pushes further south, either on an interim basis while the rest of Stage 4 is built or for longer if the money dries up.
I don't think there is any political license to not push all the way to the airport.
In many circles people were already annoyed that stage 3 stopped at Burleigh and wanted stage 3 done in one huge hit.

That's been the hot topic of discussion in terms of "getting it done", imagine the disappointment if it terminated at a Kmart. The government would be crucified.

....Maybe if the money dried up you could forget about going to Kirra and Coolangatta proper, and do that as a separate little 2.5km stage.

But yeah in summary it has to get to the airport in the next package or bust.

Re heavy rail station, agreed, but Tugun shouldn't be built until Cobaki lakes starts.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
^ Absolutely should be a single package of light rail works all the way to Coolangatta, but I think they need to look at opening it progressively. 

From the Burleigh shunt neck to somewhere in Chalk St at Coolangatta is somewhere over 13km, so about the equivalent of Stage 1.  If you go from that spot in Burleigh to Elanora, it's about 6.5km, and from Thrower Dr to Chalk St is about 8km.  You could treat these as stages 4A and 4B.

They can't afford to do what they did in Stage 1 or what happened in Sydney and have early works packages all over the shop indefinitely.  When the time comes for the heavy construction work, they need to get in, blitz the area and get out ASAP.

Build the whole thing, but do all the heavy lifting work from Burleigh to The Pines so that can be opened first while the rest south of Thrower Drive is built.  Idea would be to get to Burleigh by 2024, Elanora by 2026, Coolangatta by 2028.  The program can be kept rolling so by the time we are at Elanora we are already in procurement for Biggera Waters, Robina etc so we can keep a rolling program of extensions opening every 2-3 years.
Ride the G:

Offline Gazza

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »
Is Coolangatta really 8 years away?

As far as I know Stage 3 is due to be complete in 2023.

Planning is kicking off for stage 4 already
(Recall 3A planning commenced in 2017)
This would indicate it should be ready to start basically as soon as Stage 3 is done, so i think it would be closer to 2026.
(Ideally start work before the 2024 election)

Yes it's longer, but is there any reason you couldn't have multiple work sites being done at once. By all means get in and out of Palm beach as quickly as possible.
But theoretically the 6km or so south of Tugun shouldn't be as disruptive given how generous the easement is.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 04:01:52 PM »
^ Question of funding.  They need to do their usual thing and try to extract some dollars out of Canberra for anything south of Burleigh - indications are that is likely because of past form from both sides of the political spectrum, but those announcements were all pre-COVID.  My timeframes assume there's the usual argey-bargey on that topic, plus competition for workers due to the torrent of transport projects in NSW and Vic.  If anything, I think 2028 is being optimistic.  If they can get the whole thing done more quickly then I'd be delighted of course.
Ride the G:

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2020, 12:43:14 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast light rail stage 4: Mayor gets a laugh at Palm Beach light rail critics' expense

“We know now it’s going to go straight down the highway – whether we stop at Palm Beach or not, that’s another question.”

THE controversial light rail extension has become the butt of a joke, with Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate appearing to take a subtle swipe at vocal critics from Palm Beach.

The Reimagine Gold Coast business forum erupted in laughter yesterday when Cr Tate spoke of the fate of the light rail stage four and whether it would carve a path through the beachside suburb.

Cr Tate grinned as he addressed a crowd of industry leaders – after he was dubbed a “rockstar” by Moncrieff MP Angie Bell – and acknowledged consultation would have to be undertaken with the community.

Some residents of Palm Beach have been the most vocal critics of the light rail.

They have repeatedly raised concerns the extension would disrupt businesses, lead to overdevelopment, a loss of Palm Beach’s character and that it would increase crime.

But Cr Tate has described detractors as minority “keyboard warrior critics”, spoken of the light rail bypassing Palm Beach and called for light rail opponents to bring tomatoes “so I can catch them and throw them back at you”.

“There’s one thing we’ve got to do, is all these ideas, we’ve got to have outcomes otherwise we’re just going to go around in circles,” Cr Tate told the Reimagine Gold Coast forum on Thursday.

“So one of the outcomes (is) from the local level, that’s what we’ve got to do. The next level on advocacy (is) for state, then we’ve got to articulate that and then let’s branch it out and let’s hunt it as a pack.

“Let’s get out there and (say) ‘we want this, we want that’ – like light rail Stage 4 for instance.

“We know now it’s going to go straight down the highway – whether we stop at Palm Beach or not, that’s another question.”

Most in the room chuckled as Cr Tate added with a smile: “There’s consultation, they say, so we’ll do that.”

He said “we know we’ve got to get to the airport in Coolangatta”.

The mayor seemed to enjoy the reaction he drew by raising the heated light rail debate in front of a supportive crowd.

Earlier, City Heart Taskforce chair Ms Bell gave a glowing introduction of Cr Tate

She said walking through the streets of the Gold Coast with the mayor after her election win “was like walking through the city with a rockstar” due to approaches from constituents.

In recent days, Transport Minister Mark Bailey doubled down on the importance of running the light rail extension along the Gold Coast Highway in a letter to the Bulletin.

“No other route is viable for light rail to be well patronised and tie in with other modes,” he said.

ORIGINAL: Mayor Tom Tate has come face-to-face with one of his staunchest critics.

But rather than have tomatoes thrown, as he challenged anti-light rail advocates to do in late July, they posed for a quirky selfie.

Nicolle Archer, who has challenged the proposal to extend the light rail south to Gold Coast Airport via Palm Beach, said her meeting with the Mayor on Wednesday morning was “serendipitous”

“I was in Burleigh for a dental appointment and I saw the media set up at the pavilion. It was funny, I heard the voice and thought ‘I know who that voice belongs to,’ she said.

“I went and asked if I could get a selfie and he was quite friendly. He wasn’t rude at all.

“I have to admire him - he suggested we hand my phone to someone to take the photo to adhere to COVID-safe precautions.

“Someone kindly took our photo.”

Cr Tate was in Burleigh Heads to inspect sand replenishment works.

The Gold Coast Mayor in July urged robust debate between “keyboard warrior” critics and the entire city as it maps out a preferred route for the final stage of the trams from Burleigh Heads to Gold Coast Airport.

His call for the anti-light rail movement to bring tomatoes – “so I can catch them and throw them back at you” – has divided residents.

The chance meeting came just a day after Ms Archer had suggested she would get along with the Mayor on his own Facebook page.

“I’d love to have a cuppa and chat with you, Mayor Tom Tate, any time btw. If we met, we’d probably shock ourselves and get along like a house on fire,” she wrote on Tuesday.

“Just don’t throw any produce at me please.”

Offline Gazza

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/exclusive-transport-minister-mark-bailey-calls-on-lnp-to-dump-mp-michael-hart-from-light-rail-planning-over-perceived-conflicts/news-story/ead9061f31e8eca437667920beb74809

Exclusive: Transport Minister Mark Bailey calls on LNP to dump MP Michael Hart from light rail planning
BURLEIGH MP Michael Hart has been asked to step away from light rail planning because he has two perceived conflicts —

Full article elsewhere?

You cant make this up. LNP claims that Boggo Rd station was built to benefit Jackie Trad and they ignored the expert advice, conveniently ignoring that boggo rd has been planned for a decade.

Meanwhile, Michael Hart wants to ignore expert advice with his pet Varsity Lakes route, for the benefit of two properties (His high rise apartment in Palm Beach, and his brewery in West Burleigh), and says that hes’s had the idea since 2012.

Online verbatim9

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2020, 01:31:13 PM »
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/exclusive-transport-minister-mark-bailey-calls-on-lnp-to-dump-mp-michael-hart-from-light-rail-planning-over-perceived-conflicts/news-story/ead9061f31e8eca437667920beb74809

Exclusive: Transport Minister Mark Bailey calls on LNP to dump MP Michael Hart from light rail planning
BURLEIGH MP Michael Hart has been asked to step away from light rail planning because he has two perceived conflicts —

Full article elsewhere?

You cant make this up. LNP claims that Boggo Rd station was built to benefit Jackie Trad and they ignored the expert advice, conveniently ignoring that boggo rd has been planned for a decade.

Meanwhile, Michael Hart wants to ignore expert advice with his pet Varsity Lakes route, for the benefit of two properties (His high rise apartment in Palm Beach, and his brewery in West Burleigh), and says that hes’s had the idea since 2012.
These are existing businesses and properties the MP has owned and had interest in for a long time in the area. A lot of business and property owners are likely to benefit from.future infrastructure in the area. He is only a local MP contributing ideas. He is not in control of signing off on the project. He has just as much say as any other person in the area. The Jackie Trad thing was different.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan