• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Started by ozbob, February 29, 2020, 10:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STB

I've decided to not renew my ALP membership over this, this has been the tipping point, forcing people to vote under the threat of a fine during a pandemic.  It's idiotic and I cannot support a politcal party that allows this.

ozbob

Sunshine Coast Daily --> 'You f-----g bastards': Voters rage over election go-ahead

QuoteVOTERS have vented their fury at being forced to make the decision between their health, and their hip pockets, in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

"My family would disown me if they knew I was here," a masked woman said as tears began to well in her eyes minutes after voting in the Local Government election at Nambour.

She stopped again, this time in her car outside Nambour State College, her gloved hands on the steering wheel. She did not wish to be named for fear her sick family members would find out she had voted, despite extreme social distancing measures in response to CoVID-19.

"This is terrible I don't want to be here, I rang (the ECQ) last week and couldn't get through. I am immune-compromised," she said.

Nambour local Lauren Miles said: "We are being bullied to be here, we all feel bullied."

Darren Potts of Nambour said he feared he would lose his two jobs due to coronavirus shutdowns, and the only reason he came out to vote was because he couldn't afford the fine.

He said he did not give a "rats" about the election and shared his feelings on the ballot.

"I wrote on it 'this should have been cancelled you f-----g bastards'," Mr Potts said.

Gina Sweeney of Cooran said forcing people to vote sent a mixed message about rules and regulations to combat coronavirus, and made it impossible to take any advice seriously.

Joy Willis and her carer William Livingstone have stayed indoors for two weeks. Joy has COPD disease, a hardening of the lungs that will eventually kill her.

She said she was denied the opportunity to vote over the phone.

Dave and Michelle Clark of Ninderry said they did not have a problem having to vote, but were concerned that they used the same pencils and surfaces and could not see hand sanitiser readily available.

They said they didn't want to be fined so made the decision to vote this morning.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Quote from: STB on March 28, 2020, 13:21:48 PM
I've decided to not renew my ALP membership over this, this has been the tipping point, forcing people to vote under the threat of a fine during a pandemic.  It's idiotic and I cannot support a politcal party that allows this.

I don't think you are a lone ranger STB.  This has been a major policy failure.  The election could have gone ahead converted to a postal and phone vote weeks ago.  They would have got the confidence of the wider community.  All I see now is serious community contempt, if not anger for the Government at a time when social cohesion is needed.  I have seen Lance Corporals with better leadership skills.

red dragin

They'd better make a call on the State Government Election pretty soon, to try and regain some confidence.

ozbob

Couriermail --> Comment: Nice work, Premier. Voting shouldn't be hazardous to our health

QuoteAny respect for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has now vanished with the decision to wimp out for political gains and send Queenslanders to the polls in the midst of a virus pandemic.

WERE hand sanitisers offered at polling booths when you risked your health to vote today?

No? Not at mine either.

I'd have brought my own, except I haven't been able to find any since panic buying became the new black.

Yet around 1 million voters who didn't do postal or pre-poll voting are still being told they need to turn out to vote in local elections or face a $133 fine.

Nice work, Premier.

Annastacia Palaszczuk has been closing the borders, chastising the media over social distancing, and begging people to "stay inside" yet she also has urged us to get out into our communities today.

Why? It's not so much about trying to get Labor hacks elected in local government, but there are two state by-elections, at Bundamba (Ipswich) and Currumbin (Gold Coast), to consider.

The hypocrisy is high, even for a state government which has shattered the public's trust with integrity scandals and more.

As one of my left-leaning friends said today, "What little respect I had for the Premier is gone, how dare she?"

Even the chief medical officer Dr Jeanette Young - who is on the public purse - has been sending mixed messages, saying we should all turn out to vote but we should be more concerned about going to Dan Murphy's.

Well, I've been to Dan Murphy's, today in fact, and there were a lot fewer people there than at Ascot State School where I cast my vote – and there were trolleys at the bottle shop to help with social distancing.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere at the school was orderly and pleasant enough.

But Ascot State School is also where a parent tested positive for COVID-19 last week, prompting principal Gayle Coleman to notify the school community on Monday morning.

More than half of the student cohort – roughly 400 kids – have been kept home ever since.

Sure, I could have gone to another polling station, but who's to say I wouldn't have been within spitting distance of someone infected with the potentially deadly virus?

What we need, deserve and must demand is a clear and uniform message around coronavirus, not politicians wimping out for potential political gain.

Complete policy failure ... no brainer to have converted this to a postal  and phone poll weeks ago.  That would have kept the messaging consistent, been much safer, and kept the community on side. 

I think the advice the Premier has been getting is so wrong it is frankly scary. The CHO is trapped into a policy paradigm - needs to listen to her colleagues a lot more.

FAIL ANNA!

ozbob

red dragin

Actual community transmission in Queensland is still very low, only about 30 people with undetermined sources. Confirmed local transmission includes family of overseas returnees and cases like the Noosa restaurant.

Graph on the page below breaks down the states.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

Once the borders close and we can then focus testing on the general population, we'll get a better idea.

ozbob

Quote from: red dragin on March 29, 2020, 09:00:46 AM
Actual community transmission in Queensland is still very low, only about 30 people with undetermined sources. Confirmed local transmission includes family of overseas returnees and cases like the Noosa restaurant.

Graph on the page below breaks down the states.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

Once the borders close and we can then focus testing on the general population, we'll get a better idea.

" ... Once the borders close and we can then focus testing on the general population, we'll get a better idea. ... "

Spot on.  The testing so far has been a highly targeted group, studies elsewhere have shown that a lot more people are infected than is first apparent.  No surprise there.

One of the things that will be really interesting from a medical science perspective down the track will be large antibody screening programs to see what the real rate of infection was, and correlate that with what PCR etc. that has been done.  Projects and research papers will be in great abundance once we all get through this.  :is-  The conference industry will boom again!

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Couriermail --> Annastacia Palaszczuk slams ECQ over election tech fail

QuotePremier Annastacia Palaszczuk has slammed the Electoral Commission over technical issues that slowed down the release of results from yesterday's elections, saying she would order a review.

PREMIER Annastacia Palaszczuk has slammed the Electoral Commission of Queensland, claiming "they've got one job" following last night's technical issues.

"I'm disappointed frankly, I mean they've got one job and their job is to make sure that they can actually run an election so I'll be ordering a review of that as to why it happened," she said.

"I understand there was technical issues with the computer system, I'll get a full brief from the Attorney (General) tomorrow but there will be a full review into it."

Local Government Association of Queensland said there were always lessons to be learnt and this had been an extraordinary time.

"We would support any review but the priority right now has to be on ensuring the swift determination of the results so we can get local leaders in place to ensure councils can continue to function at a time when their communities need them the most," he said.

On the Labor candidate for Brisbane Mayor, Patrick Condren, Ms Palaszczuk said the results were yet to be finalised.

"Anybody that puts their hand up for public office, they want to do something good for the community and I thank everybody who puts their hand up because they don't do it lightly, no one does it lightly."

The Premier said she would leave the Attorney-General to look at whether only postal votes could be used at the state election in October this year.

ozbob

Couriermail --> Editorial: ECQ had one job and stuffed it up

QuoteAfter we were forced to go to the polls during the coronavirus pandemic, it beggars belief that the Electoral Commission of Queensland fell short when it came to count. The Premier was right to order a review into this farce, writes The Editor.

QUEENSLANDERS did their part these past two weeks to ensure democracy ran its course as we elected our state's councillors and mayors.

In truly unprecedented times, it is estimated over three-quarters of us cast our vote at the ballot box, arranged a postal vote or had our say with a vote over the phone.

And we undertook our democratic duties, despite the fears many of us had about the risks of coronavirus.

Some probably voted because they also feared the $133 fine they could have potentially copped if they didn't turn out without a valid reason.

But when it came time for the Electoral Commission of Queensland to do its job – to update the public about the very votes we had cast – it fell well short.

Instead of the results coming through steadily, some were barely updated as we sat on the edge of our seats wondering who was going to lead our communities over the next four years.

The ECQ has blamed the delayed publication of the results on a "technical issue" with the data feed from polling booths to the ECQ's website.

It insists this did not impact the count process or the recording of the results, but it admits the publication of the preliminary count results was delayed.

It says all results in the preliminary count were published on its website by 11.45pm – probably after many of us had switched off or gone to bed.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is right to order a review into this mess.

We have a state election right around the corner in October (assuming it goes ahead), and the last thing we need in these difficult times is uncertainty in the community about who we have elected.

No one is denying that the ECQ has a tough job.

It should be commended for its efforts these past two weeks to try to make the voting process as smooth as possible in these unsettled times.

But we also pay for this service and we rightly expect it to be properly updated about who we have voted for.

Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner pointed out yesterday that Brisbane ratepayers contributed about $7 million to the ECQ for this election – up from about $4 million at the 2016 election.

If we are paying more for this service, surely we should be getting more in return.

ozbob

https://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/health/australian-hospitals-about-to-shut-100000-staff-under-threat-as-coronavirus-numbers-rise/news-story/868ad5ff6cdd2827167a697dc1de5918

NEW PUBLIC GATHERING RULES

All public gatherings limited to two people (or entire households can gather together)

All people aged 70 or over must stay home. They may go outdoors for exercise or fresh air but should avoid populated public areas.

Everyone must stay home except for:

Shopping for essential needs, which must be kept short and not too frequent
Work or school that cannot be done remotely
Seeking medical services or compassionate grounds
Exercising with no more than one other person
Bootcamps restricted to just two people including trainer

Weddings remain at five people and funerals at 10, states and territories reserve right to amend this for compassionate reasons

All outdoor gyms and skate parks will be closed from Monday. Public playgrounds will also be closed, but not the entire park.

ozbob

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/3/29/queensland-planning-for-temporary-emergency-hospitals-for-covid19-victims

Media Statements

Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Queensland planning for temporary emergency hospitals for Covid-19 victims

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has confirmed the Department of Health is proactively exploring options for setting up plans for temporary hospitals state-wide in vacant hotels, convention centres and possibly mining camps to treat Covid-19 patients if there is an overflow from hospitals.

In Brisbane, the RNA Convention Centre could quickly be transformed to take Covid-19 patients and it would be a case of history repeating - the RNA showground was used as a treatment centre for patients during the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.

Some hotels, particularly near Queensland's major hospitals throughout the state have also been approached about providing bed space.

"I hope it doesn't come to this – I really do – but the Coronavirus pandemic is upon us now and our hospitals and medical staff over the coming months could be under enormous strain," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"Preparations to set-up extra facilities and off-site hospitals are simply a necessity.

"They would contain and treat people who have contracted the Covid-19 virus and who may have minor difficulties but don't require intensive care.

"It is imperative we prevent our hospitals from being overwhelmed all at once.

"Washing your hands with soap, staying in and close to home and social distancing are crucial.

"If people are told to self-isolate, there is no option but to follow those instructions.

"People who defy the need to self-isolate face fines of up to $13,345 and police won't hesitate to act.

"Once again, I appeal to Queenslanders to stay home and take every precaution to ensure that our health facilities are not overwhelmed."

Since the 2015 election, the Palaszczuk Government has hired 2,012 more doctors, 6,252 more nurses and midwives, 511 more paramedics and 1,806 more health professionals.

This financial year the government is anticipating hiring nearly 800 more nurses, 200 more doctors, 250 more health professionals and 200 more ambulance officers.

The Palaszczuk Government has opened 888 additional hospital beds across the State over the four years to June this year and over the next four years, will deliver a further 756 additional beds.

But If high volumes of cases requiring hospitalisation present, the Premier said Queensland may have to open temporary hospital accommodation and options being investigated include vacant hotels, convention centres and mining camps.

Queensland Health has been planning scenarios for mild, moderate and high volume of COVID-19 cases since a Public Health Emergency was declared on 29 January.

The Palaszczuk Government has committed an additional $1.2 Billion to the health budget to expand capacity in public hospitals and to access beds in the private sector.

One of the options being explored is the RNA Showgrounds which was converted into a temporary medical facility to care for patients affected by the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.

"This is what happened 102 years ago but we are now a lot more sophisticated than having to put people in tents at the showgrounds.

"We can quickly convert this site into a functioning hospital.

"But if Queenslanders do the right thing and self-isolate and we are able to flatten the curve it will not come to this.

"At the same time I want Queenslanders to be fully aware that my government is preparing for the worst case scenario."

Health Minister Steven Miles said the first priority was to prevent using these plans.

"My plea to Queenslanders is to please stay home as much as possible, keep your distance from others and wash your hands.

"We have a chance to stop history repeating itself if we all do the right thing today."

The severity of the COVID-19 pandemic echoes the 'Spanish Flu' epidemic of 1918-19 when returning servicemen from the First World War rapidly spread influenza around the world.

At the time there was no vaccine and medical treatment was of limited effectiveness.

The RNA site at Bowen Hills was converted to take patients and the Queensland Heritage Register shows:

"During the influenza epidemic which swept Australia in 1919 ... army huts were erected at the exhibition grounds as isolation wards for the nearby Brisbane General Hospital, and dining rooms were set up to feed and house the expected influx of seriously ill patients. Due to the threat of crowd contagion, and to save disturbing patients in the isolation wards, the Exhibition was cancelled that year."

The National Library of Australia provides detail of the number of beds that were located at the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds during the time it was used as an isolation hospital:

"Hospitals overflowed and 400 temporary beds were set up in huts at the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds. St Laurence's Christian Brothers School in South Brisbane catered for the overflow from the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, while shire and church halls provided temporary accommodation throughout Queensland.

"The annual show, which eventually came to be called the "Ekka" by Brisbane locals, was called off for the first time, after running uninterrupted all through WWI. The usual fun of the annual show was replaced by the showgrounds quarantine site, which was the epicentre of the city's flu crisis."

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

New 2021 dates for Tokyo Olympics

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/olympics/coronavirus-new-2021-dates-for-tokyo-olympics/news-story/f1a5b59fec558a1bfdccf95fbf1a890e

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will be postponed exactly a year, after the International Olympic Committee decided the opening ceremony will be held on July 23, 2021.

The new dates of the Games will be from July 23 to August 8, 2021, with the IOC president Thomas Bach proclaiming: "Humankind currently finds itself in a dark tunnel. These Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (in 2021) can be a light at the end of this tunnel."

The Paralympic Games will be held from August 24 to September 5, 2021.

ozbob

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/3/31/special-team-to-boost-tracking-and-enforcement-in-bid-to-halt-coronavirus

Media Statements

JOINT STATEMENT

Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Attorney-General and Minister for Justice
The Honourable Yvette D'Ath

Minister for Health and Minister for Ambulance Services
The Honourable Steven Miles

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Special team to boost tracking and enforcement in bid to halt coronavirus

In an Australian first, the Palaszczuk Government will establish a dedicated team to boost tracking in the government's fight against coronavirus.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the enforcement team would form an important part of the Queensland Health's efforts to tackle the pandemic.

"My government is throwing everything we have got at Covid-19," the Premier said.

"Law enforcement officials will now be able to assist the Public Health Units with contact tracing people who have come into contact with a known coronavirus case.

"They will also lead the enforcement of people who have been ordered to quarantine, making sure they stay inside their homes, to protect others and slow the spread of coronavirus.

"The enforcement team will also assist with ensuring the self-isolation of people diagnosed with coronavirus.

"The vast majority are doing the right thing and following the rules, but we need to ensure there's 100 per cent compliance."

Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Yvette D'Ath said the new unit would form an important part of Queensland Health's coronavirus contact tracing and monitoring efforts.

"This new enforcement unit has one purpose, and that's to protect public health - it will have strong powers and won't hesitate to use them," Ms D'Ath said.

Health Minister Steven Miles said Queensland's Public Health Units, under the leadership of the Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young, have done an outstanding job in contact tracing and keeping in touch with those who have been diagnosed with coronavirus but are being treated at home.

"We have quadrupled the number of staff members working for our Public Health Units already and this announcement will significantly increase resources,"  Mr Miles said.

"Self-isolation and quarantine means you can't go out for a walk, you can't pop down to the shops or get a takeaway coffee from your local café.

"While most people are following the rules, there are some people putting the public at risk.

"This new enforcement team will help ensure all Queenslanders are doing the right thing.

"We all need to work together to tackle this virus."

ENDS

ozbob

ABC News --> Private hospital coronavirus agreement to expand bed numbers to tackle pandemic

QuoteThe Federal Government has struck a deal with the country's 657 private hospitals, expanding hospital bed numbers by 34,000 to tackle the coronavirus crisis.

The deal also opens up access to private hospital staffing and equipment, such as ventilators.

One third of Australia's intensive care capacity is in the private sector.

In exchange, the Commonwealth will guarantee the survival of private hospitals during the period while elective surgery, which is their main form of income, is cancelled.

"It will bring over 105,000 full and part-time hospital staff, including 57,000 of our amazing nurses and midwives," Health Minister Greg Hunt said.

"It guarantees them their future ... but most importantly it brings their resources to the fight against coronavirus, COVID-19, in Australia."

ozbob

Couriermail --> We want you for the Care Army

QuoteAN ARMY of volunteers and professionals will be deployed to protect the state's senior citizens from the coronavirus pandemic, with new recruits urged to join up now.

Dubbed the Care Army, the major community endeavour will be launched by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk today to guard the health of one million seniors who have been asked to stay home to stay safe.

"Queensland's community spirit always shines through in times of crisis, as it did when the Mud Army went into action after the 2011 floods," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"The Care Army may operate differently because of health and safety restrictions, but the spirit and effect remain the same.

"Many seniors will of course be supported by family, but others will need volunteers and community service organisations to help them stay home and stay safe and with things such as food or medicine drops.

"Even something as simple as a daily telephone call can make a huge difference."

Those willing to pitch in have been asked to register by calling the government's Community Recovery Hotline – on 1800 173 349 – which links seniors and other vulnerable people to essential services and support.

And those eager to volunteer are being reminded that one of the best ways to get started is by reaching out to the family, friends and community around them.

Older people, particularly those with a pre-existing medical condition like asthma, diabetes, heart disease or weakened immunity, are most at risk of serious infection and have been asked to stay at home by authorities to limit their exposure.

Senior Palaszczuk Government Minister Kate Jones will lead the new COVID-19 Seniors Panel that will co-ordinate the Care Army and manage a community awareness campaign.

"When the Premier asked me to do this job I jumped at the chance because it's so critical," Ms Jones said.

She said support would be given to Queenslanders over 65 with underlying health issues, all Queenslanders aged over 70, and indigenous Queenslanders aged over 50 with chronic disease.

"The best place for seniors to be right now is in their own home," Ms Jones said.

"Seniors should not be out and about doing errands that someone else can do for them.

"It is now up to every single Queenslander to show we care.

"Whether it's your mother, your grandfather, your next-door neighbour or a friend – we all know a senior in our community who will need us so they can stay safe from infection."

She said officials would give clear advice to people about how they could safety support older family and friends while still limiting the older person's exposure to them through the program.

"We are urging Queenslanders to immediately work out a plan with their families and loved ones to ensure seniors have access to essentials without leaving their homes," she said.

"Being isolated from loved ones can be stressful for all of us.

"Switching to a chat over the phone, video call or email rather than visits face-to-face are recommended to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

"Grandchildren should not be visiting grandparents who are in the at-risk aged group.

"Instead of driving your grandparent to the shops, get their list and do the grocery shop for them."

TO JOIN THE CARE ARMY CALL 1800 173 349

ozbob

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Trad says Queenslanders should not be fined for not voting in council elections

QuoteQueensland Deputy Premier Jackie Trad says she will "advocate strongly" on behalf of those who chose not to head to a polling booth last weekend out of health concerns.

During a Facebook Live Q&A session for members of her South Brisbane electorate, Ms Trad addressed the question of why the local government elections went ahead and conceded the government "could have done things better" in the unprecedented circumstances.

ozbob

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1245365631739817993

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1245366193562824705

This is a major issue for many.   If they proceed with fining people I am sure they will be pummelled and will have no chance in the state poll whenever that it is. 

ozbob

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1245369251491221509

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/coronavirus/three-hundred-aussie-health-workers-have-been-given-a-vaccine-that-could-protect-against-covid19/news-story/ac1b365a4e0bdabf9bfc8d80d596249e

QuoteThree hundred health care workers have already received a tuberculosis vaccine to protect them against COVID-19 in a trial being run by The Murdoch Children's Research Institute.

The mass vaccination campaign was announced only a week ago and already hundreds of staff have received what is hoped will be protection against the virus.

Sarah and Lachlan Murdoch have donated $700 000 to the trial which is designed to test whether the tuberculosis vaccine can boosts humans' 'frontline' immunity and protect healthcare workers exposed to COVID-19 from developing severe symptoms.

The Royal Children's Hospital Foundation has also provided a $400 000 grant towards the research.

Previous studies have found the vaccine reduces the viral load and reduces symptoms when people are infected with respiratory viruses similar to COVID-19.

Four thousand health care workers will take part in the trial with half being given the vaccine and the rest receiving a dummy vaccine to test whether the vaccine works.

There is as yet no vaccine for COVID-19 and it could be 18 months before the many vaccines in development around the world complete clinical trials.

They will have to be found to be effective, cause few side effects and then be produced on mass to vaccinate populations around the world.

The beauty of the Murdoch trial is it is repurposing an existing vaccine that has already been tested as safe for use against another disease.

I have had that vaccine in days past.

ozbob

ozbob

Gazza

Why didn't people worried about exposure pre-poll or apply for a postal vote a bit earlier?

ozbob

Quote from: Gazza on April 02, 2020, 15:56:50 PM
Why didn't people worried about exposure pre-poll or apply for a postal vote a bit earlier?

The situation was escalating rapidly.  Many mixed messages.  Deadline for postal votes was 16th March so that was no longer option.  Many didn't feel comfortable with pre-poll.  Telephone voting was very restrictive and very difficult to get through.  In my own case, postal ballots didn't arrive for the state by-election, but council ones did.

Gazza

When I did my prepoll the weekend before there were a couple of people there....i see more at the supermarket.

ozbob

Quote from: Gazza on April 02, 2020, 16:28:46 PM
When I did my prepoll the weekend before there were a couple of people there....i see more at the supermarket.

There are many people for various reasons not going to supermarkets, let alone pre-polling.

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/4/1/stronger-border-controls-imminent

Media Statements

Minister for Police and Minister for Corrective Services
The Honourable Mark Ryan

Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Stronger border controls imminent

Queensland border restrictions will be tightened across the state from Friday to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Anyone who is not a Queensland resident or considered exempt from the restrictions will not be able to enter Queensland from 12.01am Friday, April 3, 2020.

The restrictions do not apply to residents of Queensland or those with an exemption.  If you want to streamline your border crossing get a border pass.

Freight transport services are exempt and will be allowed through without a border pass permit.

The restrictions will replace the current arrangements which enable people to cross the border provided they self-quarantine for 14 days.

Additional barriers will be erected in the streets of Coolangatta to further enforce border controls.

Police Minister Mark Ryan said strengthening border crossings and reducing the number of people travelling to Queensland would assist in minimising the spread of the virus.

"Now is not the time to be travelling interstate unnecessarily," Minister Ryan said.

"Unless you are a Queensland resident or have an exemption such as you work here or are required to travel for medical reasons, or are involved in freight transportation, you will be turned away.

"We are giving people plenty of warning about the stronger border controls that are being put in place.

"We are doing this in the interests of community safety."

Since Queensland implemented border restrictions on Wednesday, 25 March, 19,760 vehicles have been intercepted and police have issued 1,451 quarantine orders to people crossing the border.

Commissioner Katarina Carroll said police were appreciative of the cooperation shown by the majority of motorists during the border crossing process.

"We know the border controls have caused some delays on the roads, however, we are very grateful for the majority of drivers who have been cooperative and followed police directions," Commissioner Carroll said.

"The stronger measures will reduce the need for police to conduct follow-up quarantine checks for those who are directed to self-isolate when crossing the border.

"Importantly, penalties may apply to any non-Queensland resident without an exemption who enters the state."

For more information about border restrictions and exemptions visit: https://www.qld.gov.au/about/newsroom/queensland-border-restrictions.

Ends

ozbob

Scott Morrison has announced parents who need to send their children to childcare will receive the service for free, as two more infected Australians died and global infections pushed one million.

QuoteChildcare will be free for all Australians in a major relief package expected to help one million families and keep the sector alive during the coronavirus crisis.

With childcare centres on the brink of collapse, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has intervened to keep the sector open and provide crucial care for families that need it.

From Sunday night, care will be free, with the existing rebate and subsidy system switched off during the pandemic.

Under the plan, the government will pay half of the sector's fee revenue up to existing hourly caps, based on their operations before parents started withdrawing their children as Australians were forced to work from home.

The childcare sector is also expected to receive more than $1 billion in wage subsidy payments through the government's $130 billion JobKeeper scheme. ...

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/4/2/popular-areas-in-national-parks-close-due-to-covid19

Media Statements

Minister for Environment and the Great Barrier Reef, Minister for Science and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Leeanne Enoch

Thursday, April 02, 2020

Popular areas in national parks close due to COVID-19

The Palaszczuk Government today announced the closure of a number of locations such as picnic areas, toilet facilities, lookouts, popular walking tracks, swimming areas and four-wheel drive beach recreation areas in National Parks across Queensland.

This follows the closure of National Park campgrounds last week in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak.

Minister for Environment and the Great Barrier Reef Leeanne Enoch said these targeted closures in Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) managed areas were necessary to help contain the spread of COVID-19 and align with actions already taken by other states and territories.

The closure of these popular day-use picnic areas, toilet facilities, swimming holes, and lookouts also includes four-wheel drive beach recreation areas like Bribie Island, Teewah Beach and Rainbow Beach.

It also includes high visitation areas in Springbrook National Park and the Cedar Creek Falls section of Tamborine National Park.

"This is not a decision we have made lightly," the Minister said.

"We need to ensure the safety of Queenslanders during this time and this decision aligns with the expert medical advice from the state's Chief Health Officer.

"We have carefully considered the number of people currently accessing National Parks and recreation areas and have taken the decision to close these specific areas which are still attracting a high number of people."

Minister Enoch said that while the government was trusting Queenslanders to do the right thing, unfortunately some members of the community continue to ignore the public health advice to stay at home and travel only when it's essential, and are journeying into national parks in substantial numbers.

"The Chief Health Officer has made a direction which bans outdoor activities of more than two people, or more than a household," Minister Enoch said.

"Queensland Police now have the option to issue on the spot fines for breaches of the Chief Health Officer's directions.

"Today's decision will also help to ensure community wellbeing, as well as protect the health and safety of QPWS rangers including those rangers with close links to high risk indigenous communities, and the general public."

Increased signage will be in place to inform the public of closures, but locals should check Park Alerts online for the most up-to-date information about closures.

There will be some exemptions for entry into these areas for essential services or work by authorised personnel. A full list of exemptions will be available at https://parks.des.qld.gov.au

"The message is clear – the more we stay at home and away from other people, the more we save lives and if we need to do more, we will," Ms Enoch said.

Queenslanders should only be using National Parks and forests which are close to their own home and they should observe all social distancing guidelines. If we continue to see breaches of the Chief Health Officers' directions, we will be forced to close more park areas.

The closure of these areas will start to roll out from 3 April 2020.

A full list of closures is available at https://www.des.qld.gov.au

ENDS

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

đŸĄ± 🡳