• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

New SMU 260 - 280 / IMU 160 - 180 series sightings

Started by yobborobbo21, October 05, 2008, 19:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Just goes to show how unimportant coastal shipping has become in this country.

I'd think that road freighting to Parkes would make some sense - avoids the break of gauge and the virtual need to go around via Goulburn, but I am surprised that rail transport to Perth from there doesn't stack up.

mufreight

The facilities that were being used to transfer the sets from their standard gauge transfer bogies to their ng bogies at the old Midland Workshops is the reason that any sets built now will be transfered to the west by road.

Stillwater

Double stacking possible on the line west of Parkes -- better economy of scale.

somebody

Quote from: mufreight on September 17, 2011, 14:52:51 PM
The facilities that were being used to transfer the sets from their standard gauge transfer bogies to their ng bogies at the old Midland Workshops is the reason that any sets built now will be transfered to the west by road.
But what has changed on this point?  I thought earlier sets went by rail.

ozbob

I understand the old Midland Wokshops have closed, which means no facility to effect the bogie transfer.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Derwan

Trip to Maryborough this weekend.  There were 2 cars of a set outside EDI Rail.  I couldn't see the number.  187 was in the finishing area in Kent St.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Arnz

IMU186 is now out on the tracks, sighted last night leading IMU166 on a evening Nambour service at Beerwah.  Seen headed back down to Brisbane this morning.

Only IMU187 and IMU188 to go before the order is completed.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Fares_Fair

Regards,
Fares_Fair

Arnz

IMU187 is now in service with the "new car smell" throughout the train.  Was lucky to board this train this morning, as it was operating service #U986 (8:14am from Landsborough to Roma Street) this morning, and was noted turning back at Roma Street forming service #UL07 back to Nambour (10:00am Roma Street to Nambour).  

Only IMU188 to go before the order is completed.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Stillwater

Cops intercepted 4 people on Wednesday night thought to be about to spray paint and tags over trains at Nambour.  Lucky save.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/10/21/cops-hit-was-write-on/

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Arnz on October 21, 2011, 17:19:17 PM

Which is a bit concerning with a forthcoming new timetable, and not many trains sitting in Mayne in the am peak.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: BrizCommuter on October 21, 2011, 19:21:39 PM
Quote from: Arnz on October 21, 2011, 17:19:17 PM

Which is a bit concerning with a forthcoming new timetable, and not many trains sitting in Mayne in the am peak.

Selected services on all lines will become 3 car units (popular/over crowded being 6 car sets) before being modified to 6 car sets again when NGR comes online.

somebody

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on October 21, 2011, 23:31:29 PM
Selected services on all lines will become 3 car units (popular/over crowded being 6 car sets) before being modified to 6 car sets again when NGR comes online.
Seems to be the case.  Which is scary.

Arnz

Quote from: Simon on October 22, 2011, 09:19:28 AM
Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on October 21, 2011, 23:31:29 PM
Seems to be the case.  Which is scary.

My guess it would be various shoulder peak services on all lines (eg before 4pm and on/after 6pm).
Rgds,
Arnz

🡱 🡳