• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Transport for Brisbane (Brisbane Transport) FY 12/13 to 18/19

Started by ozbob, September 24, 2019, 08:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Gazza

-You can see the efficiency to be gained by an eastern metro, with the combined patronage on the 200, 222 and 204.

-The 66 will soon be moving 10,000 passengers per day. The metro will help, as will wider hours of operation.
2.4m p.a combined on the 111 and 160

-300 is on the cusp of greatness, were it a BUZ.

-N449 does around 100 pax per week but apparently that warrants upgrade to a 24h glider as a network wide priority :-r

-The two directions of the GCL are over 800,000, that said it is a very long route and part of it is shared.
This has potential for improvement if you really look at orbital bus needs in Brisbane.

#Metro

Restructuring the orbital routes would be a quick win IMHO.

As they don't go to the city, the usual 'Don't cut my direct city bus' phobia won't apply.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

aldonius

How is the 28 in there for 18/19? It didn't start until midway through August!

(Also 49 pax is less than what it would've achieved in its first day of operation.)

ozbob

Quote from: aldonius on September 24, 2019, 11:28:54 AM
How is the 28 in there for 18/19? It didn't start until midway through August!

(Also 49 pax is less than what it would've achieved in its first day of operation.)

It is definitely there in the spreadsheet from TransLink. It is either an error or perhaps they did a test run?  I will ask them.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

AnonymouslyBad

Quote from: #Metro on September 24, 2019, 10:41:30 AM
Restructuring the orbital routes would be a quick win IMHO.

As they don't go to the city, the usual 'Don't cut my direct city bus' phobia won't apply.

Given that it's sitting close to 1 million pax, I've made peace with the legibility of the GCL. It needs 30-60 minutes shaved off it; i.e. it needs to run more or less direct between major activity centres (including GOOD train stations). And of course, it needs to be high frequency. But "breaking it up" isn't necessarily going to lead to better outcomes, because in practice it operates in segments anyway.

(And yeah, I know the GCL is far from the only orbital. But most talk of orbital reform talks of services like Indooroopilly to Garden City - effectively just segments of the GCL, with routing tweaks that should be done anyway. With the reality of very limited resources, I can't see a new orbital 'network' being anything but low frequency, confusing rubbish.)

#Metro

QuoteGiven that it's sitting close to 1 million pax, I've made peace with the legibility of the GCL. It needs 30-60 minutes shaved off it; i.e. it needs to run more or less direct between major activity centres (including GOOD train stations). And of course, it needs to be high frequency. But "breaking it up" isn't necessarily going to lead to better outcomes, because in practice it operates in segments anyway.

(And yeah, I know the GCL is far from the only orbital. But most talk of orbital reform talks of services like Indooroopilly to Garden City - effectively just segments of the GCL, with routing tweaks that should be done anyway. With the reality of very limited resources, I can't see a new orbital 'network' being anything but low frequency, confusing rubbish.)

Guess what? Perth has an equivalent to the GCL and it is run .. wait for it ... *drumroll* every 15 minutes.

Seeing is believing:

CircleRoute 998/999
https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/timetablepdfs/CircleRoute%20Timetable%20200%2020190721.pdf

I think our GCL can be broken up into perhaps 2 - 4 more direct segments. Less prone to delay this way, and individual segments can have their frequencies amplified in a staged way.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

🡱 🡳