• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.
 

New Public Holidays

Started by verbatim9, August 04, 2019, 14:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbatim9

Quote from: verbatim9 on November 28, 2019, 08:59:54 AM
Quote from: ozbob on November 28, 2019, 01:38:02 AM
Brisbanetimes --> 'Twas the night before Christmas, and pay went up 250 per cent

QuoteA Queensland bus driver is set to spend his first Christmas Eve with family in seven years after new laws were passed on Wednesday.

From this year, Christmas Eve will be a public holiday from 6pm until midnight.

"Christmas is a time for family. I have not spent a Christmas Eve with my family for the past seven years because I have worked driving a bus so others can go about getting ready for the festivities," the man wrote in a submission to the Parliament.

"I think anyone who works on Christmas Eve deserves to be paid extra."

If employees work, they could receive penalty rates of up to 250 per cent of regular wages.

Retail worker Cassandra Leigh wrote to a parliamentary inquiry on the law: "As someone who has worked in the retail industry for 10-plus years and was often given no choice but to work until sometimes midnight on Christmas Eve to set up for Boxing Day sales, this is a great and necessary move for workers' rights."

Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace said 71 per cent of public submissions were in favour of creating the holiday.

"It is now society's view that this is no ordinary night. For many, the night before Christmas is as important as the day itself," she said.

"It is a night that most of us get to spend at home with family and friends, at religious and community services and festive events, or travelling to be with family and friends on Christmas Day.

"Christmas Eve is the one time of the year above all that busy families make that special effort to be with one another.

But retail and industry groups - the National Retail Association, Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland, Queensland Hotels Association and the Shopping Centre Council of Australia - argued the move would hurt struggling small businesses.

They say small business owners will either pass on the extra costs to customers via higher prices, close their doors or send staff home and work themselves with no extra pay.

Opposition industrial relations spokesman Jarrod Bleijie described the new law as the "Grinch who stole Christmas from the workers and the business groups" and said the LNP would not support anything that would cost jobs or drive up prices for consumers.

"Industry group after industry group lined up to criticise the changes," he said during debate this week.

"No one disputes the fact that workers deserve to be paid for the work they do, but these changes will mean that businesses will not open or will reduce rosters, which means workers will lose out."

In September, Brisbane Times reported the cost of creating the new part-day public holiday could be up to $410 million - three times more expensive than previously estimated.

Going to be interesting what they do with the public transport timetables   ... normal up to peak, then revert to a public holiday timetable?
It's just another cost.Reduced services or extra cost in the running them.

Everything is closed on Christmas eve from 6 pm as from 2 years ago bar small business. Labor and unions  made sure that this State is closed shop on Christmas eve. The only State in Australia to do so. Any attempt to open in the future will be at huge cost to both business and the consumer.
I hope that when LNP get in and if people still want the Part Public Holiday is to start it from 9pm. At least this will allow business to trade until then without hindrance. Plus allow people to get home from work on cheap reliable Public Transport.

Gazza

The amount of bootlicking in this thread is too damn high.

achiruel

Quote from: verbatim9 on November 28, 2019, 08:59:54 AM
Everything is closed on Christmas eve from 6 pm as from 2 years ago bar small business. Labor and unions  made sure that this State is closed shop on Christmas eve. The only State in Australia to do so. Any attempt to open in the future will be at huge cost to both business and the consumer.

Rubbish, South Australia already has a Christmas Eve public holiday. So does the NT, although it isn't a State.

Gazza

Quoteabor and unions  made sure that this State is closed shop on Christmas eve.
Labors Fault ™

verbatim9

#44
Quote from: achiruel on November 28, 2019, 12:46:02 PM
Quote from: verbatim9 on November 28, 2019, 08:59:54 AM
Everything is closed on Christmas eve from 6 pm as from 2 years ago bar small business. Labor and unions  made sure that this State is closed shop on Christmas eve. The only State in Australia to do so. Any attempt to open in the future will be at huge cost to both business and the consumer.

Rubbish, South Australia already has a Christmas Eve public holiday. So does the NT, although it isn't a State.

First of all it starts later in those two jurisdictions

Secondly they still allow all retail to trade until 9pm on Christmas Eve even later in NT. Qld Labor and the unions stopped that back in 2017. All non exempt retail has to close at 6pm. They have done it descetly in stages so the Public wouldn't be aware of the subtle changes, until they realise °Why is everything shut°?

So when another Government comes to power and allows Christmas Eve trading again business will need to absorb the cost and consumers willl pay at the register one way or the other.

The only way to avoid costs is to amend the Holiday Act again, Automation at Supermarkets and Convenience stores with Scan and Go or New wage agreements via the Fair Work commission.

To reduce Public Transport costs  as well as other related transport and logostical cost, would be moving to Driver only for trains, driverless tech and automation where possible elsewhere or reduced services.

Gazza

We know you're a retail enthusiast Verbatim9, but there's more to life than how much money businesses can make.

People should do their shopping in the couple of weeks prior, so people can get home earlier on Christmas Eve.

verbatim9

#46
Quote from: Gazza on November 29, 2019, 09:01:09 AM
We know you're a retail enthusiast Verbatim9, but there's more to life than how much money businesses can make.

People should do their shopping in the couple of weeks prior, so people can get home earlier on Christmas Eve.
Yes, retail should be open on Christmas Eve and no, a Part Public Holiday on 24 Dec has no overall benefit for the community, except added costs to services and transport.

Plus people should be able to be free to shop at the time they choose even at the last minute.

Gazza

QuotePart Public Holiday on 24 Dec has no overall benefit for the community
Ummm, what about giving retail workers time to get home sooner?

The transport costs im not too fussed about, its only part of one day, and not much of the system runs after 6pm anyway

verbatim9

Quote from: Gazza on November 29, 2019, 10:49:10 AM
QuotePart Public Holiday on 24 Dec has no overall benefit for the community
Ummm, what about giving retail workers time to get home sooner?

The transport costs im not too fussed about, its only part of one day, and not much of the system runs after 6pm anyway
Christmas Eve shopping has been a part of the Queensland Christmas tradition for many years for last minute gifts and groceries. Like any service industry it gives opportunity for casuals to work. If they want it off? They could of anyway, with advanced noticed. It's never been a problem in the past, but it seems that the Union and Labor have made it a problem in Qld. No doubt it will be revised by a new incoming Government hopefully amended or abolished.

It's seems strange that all of a.sudden Christmas Eve is sacred in Qld when Christmas day always had the significance.  It's all fables and make believe stuff that Labor has tried to sell to the people, like the Saturday at Easter. No significance what so ever, but we will make it a Public holiday anyway and call it the "Day after Good Friday" to incur costs to business and the consumer.

Gazza

Quotelike the Saturday at Easter. No significance what so ever, but we will make it a Public holiday anyway and call it the "Day after Good Friday" to incur costs to business and the consumer.
Because if you didn't people would be stuck working in the middle of a 4 day weekend at normal rates.

ozbob

Couriermail --> QLD Christmas Eve public holiday: Businesses prefer to close than increase pay

QuoteQueensland's new part-time public holiday that kicked in at 6pm on Christmas Eve has had a significant impact on businesses and workers, a new survey shows, confirming the worst fears of sceptics.

MORE than a third of businesses closed on Christmas Eve rather than pay new public holiday penalty rates, a new survey has revealed.

The Suncorp Pulse Survey, conducted by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland, found a further one-in-five small business owners cut staff or worked themselves to avoid an unaffordable wage bill.

The part-time public holiday introduced late last year by the Palaszczuk Government ensured workers received penalty rates after 6pm on Christmas Eve. While it mirrors laws in South Australia and the NT, the move was condemned by business groups who insisted it would hurt Queensland's struggling retail sector.

CCIQ advocacy and policy manager Amanda Rohan told The Courier-Mail that the survey results confirmed the worst fears of business.

"Last year, four businesses per day entered into insolvency and at times Queensland's unemployment rate was the highest in the country," she said. "Business confidence leading into Christmas was the lowest since the GFC. Small business needs to be given the confidence to employ and hire staff, invest in their business and support their communities. We cannot afford policies that penalise businesses for employing people and supporting their communities."

The survey showed 35 per cent of businesses decided to close on Christmas Eve because of the holiday conditions. Owners either worked themselves or cut shifts at a further 18 per cent of businesses surveyed.

Only one in 10 businesses that did open introduced a surcharge for customers to help cover the extra wage costs.

Ms Rohan said workers would have missed out on a shift because of the Palaszczuk Government's changes.

"This decision was implemented without due consideration of the ramifications."

However, Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace said all the feedback she had received about the change was positive.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

verbatim9

#51
Couriermail.com.au---> Qld Xmas Eve public holiday hurts businesses and staff

QuoteOpinion: Qld Xmas Eve public holiday hurts businesses and staff
It's not only businesses that are suffering from the State Government's ill-advised Christmas Eve public holiday, writes Bruce Hedditch.

FOR the first time in the nine years I have owned the Larrikin Hotel in Bowen, we closed our doors on Christmas Eve.

This was due to the additional wage expense that came with the new part-day public holiday on Christmas Eve.

In years past, we have stayed open until our patrons left, enjoying the festive spirit among our small community.

Having to close on Christmas Eve 2019 meant our four employees lost out on additional hours, which was a shame for them because as casual workers they wanted the extra work.

Very little thought went into this legislation, and it has backfired.

Politicians didn't consider the impact it would have on businesses and towns like ours.

We are only a small pub, but it wasn't just us who closed.

The larger pub in town did too, as did the supermarkets in Bowen and Proserpine and Cannonvale, and when you live in a town like ours the last thing you want is less work for people.

In Bowen our unemployment is horrendously high, and as employers we want to support our staff.

But at this stage, we cannot support additional costs.

We have the high cost of insurance, especially in preparation of cyclones, increasing electricity costs, state government land tax and a sluggish local trade; for us, there is minimal margin to absorb any more.

Country retail is tough enough, support and understanding from the government are what we need, not them looking for easy votes to win.

verbatim9

#52
Quote from: ozbob on February 05, 2020, 04:56:53 AM
Couriermail --> QLD Christmas Eve public holiday: Businesses prefer to close than increase pay

QuoteQueensland's new part-time public holiday that kicked in at 6pm on Christmas Eve has had a significant impact on businesses and workers, a new survey shows, confirming the worst fears of sceptics.

MORE than a third of businesses closed on Christmas Eve rather than pay new public holiday penalty rates, a new survey has revealed.

The Suncorp Pulse Survey, conducted by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland, found a further one-in-five small business owners cut staff or worked themselves to avoid an unaffordable wage bill.

The part-time public holiday introduced late last year by the Palaszczuk Government ensured workers received penalty rates after 6pm on Christmas Eve. While it mirrors laws in South Australia and the NT, the move was condemned by business groups who insisted it would hurt Queensland's struggling retail sector.

CCIQ advocacy and policy manager Amanda Rohan told The Courier-Mail that the survey results confirmed the worst fears of business.

"Last year, four businesses per day entered into insolvency and at times Queensland's unemployment rate was the highest in the country," she said. "Business confidence leading into Christmas was the lowest since the GFC. Small business needs to be given the confidence to employ and hire staff, invest in their business and support their communities. We cannot afford policies that penalise businesses for employing people and supporting their communities."

The survey showed 35 per cent of businesses decided to close on Christmas Eve because of the holiday conditions. Owners either worked themselves or cut shifts at a further 18 per cent of businesses surveyed.

Only one in 10 businesses that did open introduced a surcharge for customers to help cover the extra wage costs.

Ms Rohan said workers would have missed out on a shift because of the Palaszczuk Government's changes.

"This decision was implemented without due consideration of the ramifications."

However, Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace said all the feedback she had received about the change was positive.
Quote from: verbatim9 on February 05, 2020, 15:56:43 PM
Couriermail.com.au---> Qld Xmas Eve public holiday hurts businesses and staff

QuoteOpinion: Qld Xmas Eve public holiday hurts businesses and staff
It's not only businesses that are suffering from the State Government's ill-advised Christmas Eve public holiday, writes Bruce Hedditch.

FOR the first time in the nine years I have owned the Larrikin Hotel in Bowen, we closed our doors on Christmas Eve.

This was due to the additional wage expense that came with the new part-day public holiday on Christmas Eve.

In years past, we have stayed open until our patrons left, enjoying the festive spirit among our small community.

Having to close on Christmas Eve 2019 meant our four employees lost out on additional hours, which was a shame for them because as casual workers they wanted the extra work.

Very little thought went into this legislation, and it has backfired.

Politicians didn't consider the impact it would have on businesses and towns like ours.

We are only a small pub, but it wasn't just us who closed.

The larger pub in town did too, as did the supermarkets in Bowen and Proserpine and Cannonvale, and when you live in a town like ours the last thing you want is less work for people.

In Bowen our unemployment is horrendously high, and as employers we want to support our staff.

But at this stage, we cannot support additional costs.

We have the high cost of insurance, especially in preparation of cyclones, increasing electricity costs, state government land tax and a sluggish local trade; for us, there is minimal margin to absorb any more.

Country retail is tough enough, support and understanding from the government are what we need, not them looking for easy votes to win.
^^This was inevitable. There is no net benefit to the overall community in regards to a part public holiday on Christmas Eve.

Just extra red tape and a burden on business.

Now businesses are closed where friends and mates use to get together to catch up on Christmas Eve prior to their family commitments on Christmas Day. It's very unfortunate that a Government doesn't take the people's wishes into account, but only their own party prerogative instead.


Even though a small sample; there is a clear indication that people do not want a Public Holiday on Christmas Eve. It's a contradiction to Grace Grace's comments on the issue. But when looking at the submissions on the topic. There were many poorly submitted with just "yes or no" as a submission that were accepted as a valid submission. This is a poor submission process and flawed in that respect, without validating the reason for yes or no for having the Public Holiday. The  discussion paper prior to submitting a reasonable submission asked for "validation of your reasoning" many submissions were not written to this effect and standard.



verbatim9

#53
Brisbanetimes---> Qld public holiday for AFL grand final to be floated with Premier

Quote
Queensland has not ruled out declaring a public holiday for the AFL grand final next month.

The game will be played at the Gabba on the night of October 24 in front of 30,000 fans – the first time in history the match has been held outside Victoria.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed his state will still enjoy a public holiday on the Friday before the match, despite being unable to host the final.

Queensland's Industrial Relations Minister, Grace Grace, who is responsible for declaring the state's public holidays, said the issue might be on the agenda when cabinet ministers meet on Monday morning.

"I think at the moment, I am not sure whether that is something that is being considered, it hasn't come across my desk," she said.

"We have cabinet tomorrow, it might be something that is on the agenda, but at this stage it is not under active consideration from my area.

"I am happy to have a discussion with others about whether or not that is something Queensland will be embarking on."

Queenslanders will enjoy – or have already – at least a dozen public holidays in 2020, including the Ekka holiday and Christmas Eve, which was declared a part-holiday last year.

"I think we have got the balance about right here in Queensland when it comes to public holidays," Ms Grace said.

"Of course, it is historic here in Queensland, we have the AFL grand final for the first time in over 120 or whatever years.

"It is historic but I haven't had that discussion with the Premier. I look forward to it and I am sure we can come to an arrangement if that is required."

verbatim9

This Government is obsessed with granting Public Holidays. I dont think we really need one as the game is held on Saturday. It will only impose more costs for business on that day making that Saturday or a day around it a Public Holiday. Bars, supermarkets, small business and other hospitality outlets... will suffer.

Gazza

I bet if was the LNPs idea you'd love it  :hg

verbatim9

Quote from: Gazza on September 13, 2020, 18:47:46 PM
I bet if was the LNPs idea you'd love it  :hg

I doubt LNP would do it under the current circumstances. It wouldnt matter who tries to implement such an idea, it's overall bad policy. We need better distribution of Public Holidays throughout the year not more and the Christmas Eve Public Holiday scrapped from the Public Hoiday calander, as it has limited benefit. 

JimmyP

Quote from: verbatim9 on September 13, 2020, 15:49:30 PM
This Government is obsessed with granting Public Holidays. I dont think we really need one as the game is held on Saturday. It will only impose more costs for business on that day making that Saturday or a day around it a Public Holiday. Bars, supermarkets, small business and other hospitality outlets... will suffer.

I think you may need to look up the definition of 'obsessed'.
The only public holiday the current gov have implemented is the quarter day Xmas Eve public holiday.
This new (once off) public holiday push was started by, and has been pushed by, the Triple M Breakfast Radio team, nothing to do with the Gov. With a fair amount of momentum being gained over the past couple weeks from the radio show, it is no surprise that the Gov may be discussing it in cabinet today. Doesn't mean it will come to fruition!

Gazza

Obsessed is constantly talking about retail projects, retail advertising and public holidays on a forum about public transport.

ozbob

Quote from: Gazza on September 14, 2020, 10:12:29 AM
Obsessed is constantly talking about retail projects, retail advertising and public holidays on a forum about public transport.

Public holiday discussion is fine under politics.  Discussion re retail stuff is in the club car is OK, and is the appropriate place for that.

The idea of another public holiday is a slap in the face for businesses that are struggling.   I don't think it will fly somehow.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Gazza

It'll be good for tourist related businesses who effectively missed out on a Easter long weekend surge this year.

achiruel

Quote from: verbatim9 on September 13, 2020, 15:49:30 PM
This Government is obsessed with granting Public Holidays. I dont think we really need one as the game is held on Saturday. It will only impose more costs for business on that day making that Saturday or a day around it a Public Holiday. Bars, supermarkets, small business and other hospitality outlets... will suffer.

So from an article that says:
Quote"I think at the moment, I am not sure whether that is something that is being considered, it hasn't come across my desk," she said.

you somehow conclude that the Government is obsessed? How exactly do you reach that conclusion?

Like Arnz said, it's disturbingly obvious you have are very pro LNP & anti Labor.

🡱 🡳