• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

590 and 232 bus routes

Started by Cazza, May 14, 2019, 15:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cazza

Quote from: achiruel on May 14, 2019, 10:55:11 AM
Also required: extend southern line short working to Altandi (increased bus/rail interchange opportunities).
Investigate feasibility of Cleveland branch short workings to Murrarie (for the same reason). I understand there is something to do with crossovers etc that makes this difficult, but it really needs to be looked at, 590 is an important cross-town route that really needs better bus/rail interchange.

Agree with both but it's the 598/599 that stop at Murarrie Station. Route 590 runs straight down Creek Rd which doesn't really have any sort of railway connection unfortunately. I wouldn't mind seeing Route 590 travel via Murarrie too, then having another route cover the Creek Rd section (Re-routing the 232 this way instead of running through the area to the south of Wynnum Rd perhaps?).

achiruel

You're absolutely right re: the 590. Not sure how I missed that as I used to catch it all the time a couple of years ago  :fp:

I also agree that it should have a train connection. I think the bit going into Metroplex is a pain too, and should be given to a "coverage" route instead. Alternatively the 590 could go via Cannon Hill Station, but that still leaves Creek Rd with no service.

Unfortunately I can't quite work out how to have the 232 service Creek Rd, and Metroplex, AND have a train connection (at either Cannon Hill or Murrarie), although I think a bus stop in the northern carpark at Cannon Hill would help.

590 via Murarrie

590 via Cannon Hill

232 (eastern end only) via Cannon Hill Station and Metroplex (imagine the Armstrong Rd part goes through Cannon Hill carpark with a bus stop inside; I couldn't draw it that way on Google Maps).

Cazza

I know this belongs in another thread (you can move it if you want Bob) so I'll keep it short but I think the 590 should run via Murarrie along with the 598/9 and have Route 232 run something like this (outbound): http://tiny.cc/10po6y

Obviously, you would have to allow buses to turn right from Barrack Rd into Armstrong Rd for the inbound but this is hypothetical anyway.

I don't think Metroplex needs a full time service. Just extend a bus terminating at Cannon Hill straight up Creek Rd during peaks if required (and possibly off-peak too).

🡱 🡳