• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Poll: WA Labor public transport fare policy for 2022 implementation

Started by ozbob, January 18, 2021, 08:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Poll and discussion.

WA Today --> Perth train fares to be capped at $4.90 under a re-elected Mark McGowan

QuotePublic transport users in Perth's outer suburbs will potentially save thousands of dollars a year on their daily commute to and from work under a re-elected Labor Government.

Premier Mark McGowan on Sunday committed to cap all bus, train and ferry fares to anywhere in the city at a maximum of $4.90, if he wins the March election. ...

The new fares will come into effect in January 2022 if Labor is re-elected, costing an estimated $60.9 million. ...

====

https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1350646486204235778

https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1350648142585217025
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Interesting development this. I am not sure the Premier really needed to do this but he has, so it must be considered in play.

Almost a flat fare system.  No changes to inner zones but huge benefits for the long haul. 

Will certainly drive patronage, I think there is a risk of inner zone overloading.

A fare reduction is good, but I think it might be too much to be honest.  Maybe a 3 zone cap at $5.80 rather than the 2 zone cap.
These are cash fares, smartrider has further discounts, e.g. 20% when on autoload.

timh

Quote from: ozbob on January 18, 2021, 09:32:22 AM
Interesting development this. I am not sure the Premier really needed to do this but he has, so it must be considered in play.

Almost a flat fare system.  No changes to inner zones but huge benefits for the long haul. 

Will certainly drive patronage, I think there is a risk of inner zone overloading.

A fare reduction is good, but I think it might be too much to be honest.  Maybe a 3 zone cap at $5.80 rather than the 2 zone cap.
These are cash fares, smartrider has further discounts, e.g. 20% when on autoload.
Yeah patronage from the outer edges of the rail network is gonna go through the roof, that's crazy cheap. Stations like Butler/Rockingham/Mandurah will be popular. I think another consideration in addition to inner suburb crowding is overloaded Park 'n rides. Perth already has huge park and rides at those outer stations, I can see them filling up very quickly after this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gazza

Yeah I was thinking that 3 zones would have made sense, wouldn't be such a revenue hit

achiruel

Does the WA government really think encouraging further urban sprawl is a good idea? That's basically what this policy will do.

ozbob

Quote from: achiruel on January 18, 2021, 11:04:30 AM
Does the WA government really think encouraging further urban sprawl is a good idea? That's basically what this policy will do.

Yo.  Seems a bit unbalanced to me.   Although providing WA has rejoined Oz hope to visit during 2022. 

Be cheap runs north and south to the outer reaches ...

🡱 🡳