• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Direct Sunshine Coast Rail Line (was CAMCOS, North Coast Connect)

Started by Fares_Fair, March 11, 2018, 16:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

QuoteWe have a request for money to plan the need for a plan to think about when we might build this!!

Metaplanning
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Stillwater

Very interested in these words from Mark Bailey: "The CAMCOS corridor has been preserved since 2001. Track upgrading and duplication from Caboolture to Beerburrum was completed in 2009, as was the elimination of the open level crossing at Beerwah. This provides an option for a future branch line from Beerwah to the East Coast."

Note the words 'east coast'. Caloundra? Kawana? Maroochydore? Just where on the 'east coast'?

Cazza

Fares_Fair

They finished something over 12 years ago.
That's all they can say about one of the top 3 fastest growth regions in Australia.

My guess is they will only build CAMCOS to Caloundra. Hence Minister Bailey's careful wording.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Stillwater

Concur ... light rail from there to Maroochydore, with the heavy lifting finance-wise from the council and the feds. Heavy or light rail will never get to SC Airport under this scenario. Terminus at Caloundra will be a little gift to those who voted Labor into the state seat of Caloundra.

#Metro

A single station line would be a great improvement, nonetheless. :lo

Would be interesting to consider Seattle-style regional rapid light rail with high speed LRVs rather than the usual tram mode.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Stillwater on January 21, 2022, 14:09:06 PM
Concur ... light rail from there to Maroochydore, with the heavy lifting finance-wise from the council and the feds. Heavy or light rail will never get to SC Airport under this scenario. Terminus at Caloundra will be a little gift to those who voted Labor into the state seat of Caloundra.

Yep.

While the good citizens of Nicklin (centred on Nambour) who voted Labor..  get nothing.
The duplicated rail stopping 26km south of the town.

In fact, CAMCOS rail to Caloundra will almost of a certainty see a reduction in the meagre services to Nambour.
I look forward to Rob Skelton MP explaining that to his constituents before the 31 October 2024.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Arnz

Quote from: #Metro on January 21, 2022, 16:49:25 PM
A single station line would be a great improvement, nonetheless. :lo

Would be interesting to consider Seattle-style regional rapid light rail with high speed LRVs rather than the usual tram mode.

Won't be a single line station in that hypothetical scenario.  Likely be stations at Aura and Caloundra (Aerodrome).  Possibly on a 'Single Track' railway spur that branches east of Beerwah with crossing loops on the Bruce Highway Rail Bridge, Aura and Caloundra stations.  Just imagine getting stuck in a signal failure on the Bruce Highway rail bridge.  :hc
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

verbatim9

Brisbane Times---> Train to Caloundra gathers steam in new Sunshine Coast transport plan

QuotePlanning for new passenger rail from the North Coast line into Caloundra to help the Sunshine Coast handle an expected population boom will be held back until after the federal election.

With the Sunshine Coast facing the challenge to accommodate an extra 200,000 people over the next 20 years, heavy rail was "an important part of the equation", Queensland Transport Minister Mark Bailey said on Wednesday.

verbatim9

Great to see funds for the Sunshine Coast rail line to Maroochydore in this year's budget, as reported by the Courier Mail today.

timh

I'm on the mailing list for the project from Ted O'Brien. I received an email with him patting himself on the back for securing the funds. I do note this particularly interesting line in the email:

QuoteWhile this rail line will be an extension of the existing rail system, it should be designed to accommodate for Fast Rail in the future by making the track straight and wide.

The bold there is my formatting. I just think it's particularly interesting his use of the word "should". I don't know if the current iteration of the project (if there even is one) includes this provisioning. But as O'Brien says, it absolutely SHOULD include it.

I also note that all the publications I've seen only point to stations at Caloundra, Kawana and Maroochydore. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the stations on opening day, with further infill stations to be added later, or if it's just not an exhaustive list. Previous planning maps I've seen have had stations at many more locations (Mooloolaba, Aura, etc.).

This is still a big win for the project and I'm very pleased to see it on there. But like many of these recent infrastructure announcements, I'd really like to see more details!

EDIT: I note later in this email that Ted is pushing for full duplication to Nambour as well!
QuoteAs for Stage 2 of B2N, I believe the design needs to change to allow for full duplication – that's two tracks – all the way to Nambour Station. What's more, it should be designed to accommodate for Fast Rail.

kram0

That is a big funding commitment and one that the State will no doubt match.

HAS to be two tracks, no F*&ken about with cutting corners.

Fares_Fair

It's a huge and budgeted commitment for CAMCOS rail to Maroochydore.
This was originally promised (May 2007) to be to Caloundra by 2015 and to Maroochydore by 2020.
It's reliant upon the state matching the funding.

It is the single largest infrastructure project in tomorrow night's budget.
$1.6 billion for a $3.2 billion project.

It was a $1 billion project when first announced by Peter Beattie back in 2007.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

nathandavid88

Not being as familiar with CAMCOS, is this currently a shovel-ready project? Or will be have a few glossy brochures to read first before any sods are turned?

Fares_Fair

Not shovel ready whatsoever.
There is lots of design work to occur first.
Only the corridor itself is secured.
No construction designs exist.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Fares_Fair

I will be talking to Kat Feeney from ABC radio Brisbane this afternoon on the Drive program at around 4:15pm about this latest announcement.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

achiruel

Quote from: Fares_Fair on March 28, 2022, 11:01:36 AMI will be talking to Kat Feeney from ABC radio Brisbane this afternoon on the Drive program at around 4:15pm about this latest announcement.

I'm slightly confused, doesn't Kat Feeney's show end at 3:30 and Steven Austin is on drive?

ozbob

^ Steve is off for a couple of weeks I understand.  Few changes to cover.

SteelPan

:2thumbs:  Well, let's all hope something very positive comes from all of this....surely Qld T'port have a lot of the nuts-n-bolts planning for this covered, given the many years that have passed since it's been on the "to do" list....hold on, Qld T'port....probably not!

:frs:

Anyway, over to the state govt now, to get things happening on the ground...... :fp:
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

ozbob

Interview 28th March 2022 ABC Radio Brisbane Drive

Jeff Addison with Katherine Feeney
Topic  Beerwah - Maroochydore heavy rail.

Here > https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcdrivejakf28mar22.mp3 MP3 13.5 MB

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

CM Sunshine Coast --> Federal Government commits $1.6bn in 2022-23 budget for Beerwah to Maroochydore rail project $

QuoteThe federal government has pledged funds for a railway line from Beerwah to Maroochydore ahead of the 2032 Olympic Games which could unlock the region's next major infrastructure item.

The federal government has pledged $1.6bn worth of funds in the budget for a 37km rail line from Beerwah to Maroochydore which could unlock the next piece of major infrastructure in the region.

Plans to build a heavy rail line from Beerwah to Maroochydore has been given the green light by the Federal Government with a $1.6bn budget commitment for the project.

The major project would link Sunshine Coast residents to Brisbane by rail, and is set to be completed by the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics.

The new 37km passenger rail line will connect to the Maroochydore CBD, starting from the existing Beerwah station and passing through new stations at Caloundra and Kawana. ...

ozbob

Sunshine Coast News --> 'Out of cars and onto trains': the $1.6 billion bid that may finally secure rail for the Sunshine Coast

QuoteA decades-old vision for a rail network connecting the Sunshine Coast with Brisbane is finally on track after a staggering funding commitment from the Federal Government.

A whopping $1.6 billion has been allocated to advance the long-awaited CAMCOS project — which has not progressed since 1999.

Federal Member for Fairfax and Special Envoy for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Ted O'Brien, told Sunshine Coast News the government was offering the State Government a "compelling" 50-50 funding deal on the $3.2 billion venture.

Mr O'Brien said Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Transport Minister Mark Bailey both had recently indicated the plan was worth re-examining in 2022 because of the 2032 Games and population growth.

"I would be very surprised if the State Government did not see the enormous benefit of this and come to the party," he said. ...

ozbob

Couriermail --> Proposed $3.2bn Sunshine Coast rail project subject of funding dispute $

QuoteA proposed $3.2bn Sunshine Coast train project needed in part for the 2032 Olympic Games is veering off the rails already, with the state government refusing to commit to going halves claiming the price tag was "made up".

But the federal government has rubbished the claim while a Coalition MP warned there was no time to spare to build it in time for the Olympic Games.

The federal government on Monday announced a $3.9bn rail and roads funding bonanza in the election eve budget, including half the $3.2bn needed for the Beerwah to Maroochydore rail extension.

Under the usual funding arrangements, the Queensland government would chip in the other half, but Treasurer Cameron Dick and Transport Minister Mark Bailey signalled the state was not convinced.

"We have no idea on what basis this $1.6bn figure has come from," Mr Bailey said.

"There's a preliminary evaluation under way right now, a business case is due next year ... this figure seems to be plucked out of the sky." ....

ozbob

Hey Labor Lurkers ...  :lu:

If Labor promised this moolah you would be all over it like a rash hey Minister Bailey et al.

You all basically give me the sh%ts  :tdown:

Run to your leaders you jerks! Feeble !!

====

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1508455556788670467

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1508457116931362816

ozbob

ozbob

The Guardian --> 'Plucked from the sky': Queensland government questions funding for Sunshine Coast rail project

QuoteQueensland's transport minister has described the budget eve announcement of a train line from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast as being in "circus sort of territory", saying the promised money appeared "plucked out of the sky".

But commuter advocates have welcomed the promised Sunshine Coast extension as having the potential to "revolutionise" public transport from Brisbane to the beaches.

A train line between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, and faster rail to the Gold Coast, will be the big ticket items in an election eve budget splash on Queensland by the federal government. ...

... But commuter advocate Jeffrey Addison called on the state government to "get on board" for a project that he said would "revolutionise transport to and from the Sunshine Coast".

Addison previously commuted by train four hours a day from Brisbane to his Sunshine Coast hinterland home for 18 years.

"A lot of complaints are made about the north coast line being through the hinterland and too far from the coast – well this will give people access to the beaches," he said.

"It goes into the heart of Maroochydore."

ozbob

Queensland Labor State Governments have a very long history of ' sabotaging ' Sunshine Coast rail improvements ...

Well worth a listen this interview:

28th March 2022 ABC Radio Brisbane Drive

Jeff Addison with Katherine Feeney
Topic  Beerwah - Maroochydore heavy rail.

Here > https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcdrivejakf28mar22.mp3 MP3 13.5 MB

Fares_Fair

Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

^ Labor's anti-Sunshine Coast rail bias goes as deep as it is stupid.

This quote from Mr Dick just confirms it.

:tdown:

SurfRail

$1.6bn appears to be $1.6bn more than the State has committed to building it.

There needs to be proper scoping work about what infrastructure is needed to support the Maroochydore extension south of Beerwah.  Some thoughts:

1. north of Caboolture

My assumption is the Maroochydore branch junction would be grade-separated and not in some ham-fisted way like usual.  I would also cease running any hinterland services (Gympie to Landsborough) through to Brisbane.  Beerwah would have 2 island platforms - all through traffic either direction passes through the outer faces, while the inner faces are a Spanish solution set up serving a single track which would be for shuttle operations between Beerwah and Gympie North.  Half-hourly minimum Beerwah to Cooroy, with several services a day extending to Gympie North.

2. Caboolture to Petrie 

Works to separate Caboolture all-stations services from everything else (Maroochydore express services / Traveltrain / freight).

4th platform at Caboolture where the current yard is and reposition the yard further north, expand Elimbah stabling etc.  P2 and P3 would be the Caboolture terminating platforms, P1 and P4 serving Sunshine Coast / Traveltrain.  (P4 would need to be able to take southbound Traveltrain services so those can operate without fouling everything else by needing to cross over to and from P1.) 

Rebuild the corridor to 4 tracks from Caboolture to around Dakabin.  That would have a better alignment for higher speeds (aim to enable 140+), including removal of all the LXs and station rebuilds with platform faces only on the stopping tracks (the express tracks would be on the outer so this would probably involve conversion to a single island platform). 

I don't think there would be room at Dakabin so the quad would probably end around Alma Road, meaning everything would still share 2 tracks from here to Petrie.  I expect that wouldn't be too much of an issue at everything would otherwise be merging not much further south.

3. Works between Petrie and Strathpine.

I would reconstruct the inbound NCL track so it flies over the inbound MBRL track (ie so platforms 4 and 5 are swapped over between their existing lines).  Platform 1 would see no regular use, so Caboolture/Maroochydore trains would stop at P2 northbound and P5 southbound, with Kippa-Ring trains using P3 northbound and P4 southbound.  Other traffic would use P2 and P5 also.

Then, up-up-down-down quad to Strathpine, including rebuilding Lawnton and Bray Park to only have 2 platform faces serving the middle tracks, and Strathpine to have 2 islands platforms. 

All LXs to be removed.

Passive provision to be made for Trouts Rd, which would connect to the 2 outermost tracks.

4.  Strathpine to Northgate

Probably no need to amplify the track as ultimately, with NWTC operating, the only trains not stopping all stations in this section are Traveltrain or non-passenger.  The middle road would become a freight refuge/stabling/turnback corridor.  Station upgrades would be on the basis there are 2 platforms serving the 2 outer tracks.  Also remove the remaining LXs. 

5. Northgate to Mayne

I would be rebuilding Nundah, Northgate and Wooloowin to remove the western platforms and focus on building straight, accessible platforms of appropriate width serving the eastern track pair (as all trains on the western pair would be non-stop except at EJ and/or Albion).

Then, fix up whatever botches need to be corrected after CRR is built since it seems there is no chance of that prior to commissioning.

6. Strathpine to Normanby

Build NWTC and plug into Strathpine at northern end and Normanby / CRR at the southern end, with stations at Linkfield Road, Albany Creek Road, Hamilton/Rode Road (pick one or in the middle), Stafford Road, underground platforms at Alderley, possibly a station at Herston Quarter, then surfacing at the Ekka Loop and feeding into CRR.  My assumption is all trains would stop at Strathpine and Petrie.  Probably mostly elevated unless the terrain requires otherwise, but tunnelled from Stafford Road area.

Open question whether you just run all Caboolture and Sunshine Coast trains all stations along the NWTC and so only build 2 tracks, leave passive provision for 4 tracks or build 4 from day one.  At 20tph plus with a straight alignment and minimal stations, you might not really have any issues running all stations from Strathpine.

I would run all Traveltrain services via NWTC for reasons of speed - they would pop out in the same spot and just access platform 10 as normal, with no impact on passenger operations elsewhere in the CBD.  By this point, I am anticipating the only trains running this way would be bi-mode tilt trains providing various services between Brisbane and Cairns (which can run under the wires as far as Rockhampton), and the SOTO (which can be hauled by an electric loco all the way from Brisbane to Emerald), so no need for the tunnelling to be engineered to accommodate diesel traction.

No physical connection to the Ferny Grove line.

On the north-side, that would only leave:
- Ferny Grove line LXs and station rebuilds (eg you could have a skyrail type project to replace the 4 LXs around Mitchelton and give you a straight platform at Gaythorne).
- Shorncliffe line LXs and station rebuilds, plus Sandgate-Shorncliffe duplication.
- Doomben line LXs, station rebuilds and duplication and (probably never happen) Hamilton extension
- Flat crosses at Eagle Junction (Doomben trains vs Shorncliffe / Airport trains)
- Flat crosses at Airport Junction (Airport trains vs Shorncliffe trains)

I'd say all of these are lower priorities than the suite of works described further above, except I would want South Pine Road LX gone ASAP.

Ride the G:

ozbob

Thanks SurfRail.  Again it highlights just how far behind SEQ rail is in reality.

They are kidding themselves if they think they can deliver decent public transport for the 2032 Olympics.

:fo: 

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Fares_Fair

The Federal Government is paying half of the Beenleigh to Kuraby Faster rail works, that's $1.121 billion.
Transport Minister Mark (Mangocube) Bailey said the Sunshine Coast rail was viable back in November 2021.

Now they just want to play partisan politics with the people of the Sunshine Coast - even after winning two seats here (Caloundra and Nicklin) at the last election.

What a miserable bunch of puerile politicians they are.
Care nothing for integrity - in power for 27 of the past 32 years - 27 YEARS.

Edit: Figure corrected from $1.1 billion to $1.121 billion.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

kram0

Kuruby to Beenleigh no business case but Bailey has a 'build cost' for this project.

As pointed out above, Gabba rebuild. A BILLION dollars but no business case and also the $450m bus/metro stop at the Gabba. Once again NO business case.

Bailey is a cancer to Queensland.

🡱 🡳