• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Maroon CityGlider ext to Coorparoo Junction

Started by ozbob, January 19, 2018, 13:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Fattious

Updates say it services Holdsworth Street, but the journey planner says Coorparoo Junction in Old Cleveland Road.

Ideally all services should serve a common stop.

ozbob

https://translink.com.au/service-updates/159211

Maroon CityGlider route 61 - route extended

From Monday 22 January, the Maroon CityGlider route 61 will be extended beyond Langlands Park station, to start and terminate at Holdsworth Street, providing you with more travel options and direct access to the nearby Coorparoo shopping and restaurant precinct.

Paul B

Lucky for some I suppose. I'd thought 8 buses per hour + 209 was already enough. Balmoral/Bulimba commuters must be happy to hear of this  :conf

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> CityGlider bus service to extend to Coorparoo

QuotePopulation growth has prompted a $150,000 a year expansion of a popular, high-frequency Brisbane bus service.

On Friday, Brisbane City Council's public transport chairman Adrian Schrinner announced the Maroon CityGlider, which carries more than 1.2 million passengers a year, would be extended to service the hundreds of residents and visitors to the Coorparoo Junction development hub.

Residents have already started moving into the first stage of the $252 million Coorparoo Square development, with hundreds more to move in as it nears completion.

Currently, commuters wanting a quick trip across the city would have to walk 13 minutes to catch the Maroon CityGlider from Langlands Park.

The high-frequency bus, which was introduced in 2013, runs from Ashgrove to Stones Corner, passing through several stops including Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane City, Cultural Centre, South Bank and The Gabba.

The extension will be jointly funded by the council and Translink and will extend the service to Stop 23 at Coorparoo Junction, at Coorparoo Square.

The bus service costs the council about $6 million a year to deliver, and the expansion of the service from Stones Corner to Coorparoo Junction will cost an extra $144,000 a year.

The council and TransLink will equally fund this additional cost.

Cr Schrinner said the extension would mean fewer cars on the road and trips that get people home quickly and safely.

State Labor MP Joe Kelly said the extension would improve access to the Coorparoo Square entertainment precinct.

"Reliable bus services are an essential part of the transport mix for any community centre, and expanding the Maroon CityGlider will provide passengers with even more travel options," he said.

"Coorparoo is undergoing a boom at the moment, so it's great to see new options being provided to commuters."

Coorparoo Square is currently serviced by routes 200, 203, 204, 209 and 222 as well as other peak-hour routes.

Cazza

Any reason for no intermediate stop at St Leonards St? Will definitely relieve pressure on the 204, especially in peak times.

Also, the inbound stop needs to be located on Old Cleveland Rd, NOT Holdsworth St. As Fattious said, a common stop is necessary as the CityGlider will carry nobody inbound from Coorparoo as commuters will continue to go to the OCR stop. I'm assuming this is due to holding space but layover space could be done like so: https://www.google.com.au/maps/d/edit?mid=1sQIvsT4SJFtv-WnX4NnGppWa4JgfGP4o&ll=-27.49412286971908%2C153.05933492364125&z=18

Something else too, on Google Maps there is a MGLD holding on Cavendish Rd back in April: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27.4939458,153.058857,3a,80.9y,167.59h,77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sejmlTSCGJ2rWPtcybA2z6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

tazzer9

If they are going to extend the maroon glider on that end, why can't they make it a decent extension so it will be used.  It currently is, and even with this new extension one of the biggest PT wastes in brisbane.  Would much rather see it truncated to wollongabba or routed towards uq or garden city. 

#Metro

Really tired at how BCC still hasn't reformed the bus network.

Yes, it's "not their responsibility" but then here we are with them announcing new bus routes and services.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Cazza

Quote from: tazzer9 on January 19, 2018, 22:06:47 PM
If they are going to extend the maroon glider on that end, why can't they make it a decent extension so it will be used.  It currently is, and even with this new extension one of the biggest PT wastes in brisbane.  Would much rather see it truncated to wollongabba or routed towards uq or garden city.

If anything, it should be extended out to Carindale and replace the 222

#Metro

Unfortunately, basic consultation has gone out of the window.

None of this should happen until there is a proposal put out to the public, and then feedback on it.

TransLink should not have agreed to the proposal without first placing a notice and asking for feedback.

Of course, TransLink does not have hire and fire contractor powers (ridiculous for a so-called "regulator") which mean the farce continues.

This specific proposal is probably harmless, but there are many others that have been pure, incredulous, waste. Example

Brisbane City Council keeps repeating the convenient line that "it's not responsible for bus network planning, TransLink is", but we all

know that in practice to be false.

QuoteLNP candidate Melina Morgan committed, if elected, to delivering a "Bulimba Bullet" service, which would be an express bus service departing Teneriffe to the city that would be timed with the arrival of the cross-river ferry.

More rockets to be fired around the city, hey?

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/commuters-told-to-cross-the-river-to-escape-congestion-20180119-p4yynu.html
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Cazza

What's more, is that she said it would follow the same allignment as the current CityGlider anyway.

"...that it was an additional service to run alongside the Blue CityGlider."

:clp: :clp:

James

If you have a proper look at the journey planner (which I take to be the authority on the matter), the route will terminate at the same stop as the 200/222 etc. buses, but it will start from Holdsworth St, a stop separate from the 200 and 222 stop!!!

A Coorparoo Junction extension was very logical, but no, BCC has managed to stuff up even the most basic introduction. A simple change to the route of (going from Eastbound terminator to Westbound starter) would be OCR to Coorparoo Junction Stop (L) Cavendish Rd (R) Kitchener St (R) French St (R) OCR Westbound (at traffic lights) (S) Coorparoo Junction stop inbound. It adds an extra 500m of out-of-service running for a lot more amenity.

Oh. Fuking. Dear.  :frs: :frs: :frs: :fp: :fp: :fp:
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

techblitz

QuoteIf you have a proper look at the journey planner (which I take to be the authority on the matter), the route will terminate at the same stop as the 200/222 etc. buses, but it will start from Holdsworth St, a stop separate from the 200 and 222 stop!!!
why wouldnt they do this?? This way if terminating MG`s buses have to get back to the depot there is less stuffing around....its not all about what commuters want...its also about how best to get to/from the depot.
I see absolutely no issue with this arrangement......I do however have an issue with the ongoing OCR duplication and would like BT/BCC to address it asap...

James

Quote from: techblitz on January 20, 2018, 11:29:46 AMwhy wouldnt they do this?? This way if terminating MG`s buses have to get back to the depot there is less stuffing around....its not all about what commuters want...its also about how best to get to/from the depot.
I see absolutely no issue with this arrangement......I do however have an issue with the ongoing OCR duplication and would like BT/BCC to address it asap...

You totally missed the point. I'm not outraged over the bus terminating on Old Cleveland Road. I'm outraged over the fact the new route starts in some back street and away from the common 200/222/all other routes bus stop.

On the note of 'depot access'... it is much easier for 61 buses from Carina depot to access the stop on OCR vs. the stop in Holdsworth St. But they're using Holdsworth St. So there you go.

techblitz

it aint just some random back st.....holdsworth st is about as central to the precinct as you can get.

Did you ever consider the fact that BT/BCC have chosen the termination point on OCR so its better access for the passengers who live on the opposite side who decide to use the outbound glider instead of the 222/200??.
The chosen termination point for the glider is spot on......and there is a ton of space to handle all the routes.

And the starting point for the glider is just as good because the inbound OCR stop wont have the capacity to deal with extra gliders as well as all the other routes..
Holdsworth st is also a closer walk for passengers who reside just to the north of CJ...instead of dealing with OCR.
The benefits of the proposed arrangement outweigh the cons GLAD to say...

SurfRail

In other words, it better suits BCC's institutional incompetence, as usual.
Ride the G:

techblitz

^ still dwarfed by translinks incompetence......you know....the ones who negotiated the deal without consultation,without any sort of pressure on BCC/BT to reform OCR.....and last but not least....when we have routes on the gold coast finishing early or Kallangur/Dakabin routes carrying 5 people on average due to poor frequency....they can still manage to find funds to throw towards glider extensions.

James

Quote from: techblitz on January 20, 2018, 15:35:09 PM
it aint just some random back st.....holdsworth st is about as central to the precinct as you can get.

<snip>

And the starting point for the glider is just as good because the inbound OCR stop wont have the capacity to deal with extra gliders as well as all the other routes..
Holdsworth st is also a closer walk for passengers who reside just to the north of CJ...instead of dealing with OCR.
The benefits of the proposed arrangement outweigh the cons GLAD to say...

I've snipped part of this comment because you've decided to argue with me on a point we agree on (terminating on OCR). ???

Bus stops on Coro Drive get something like 30bph, yet we're worried about a stop on OCR inbound with its own lane (not just a pull in bay) getting less than that? Oh no, someone has to walk an extra 100m, given how long it'll take to get out of Harries Rd with a lights change, that will all but negate any time savings by 'not having to cross the road'. What about the people from the south of OCR, it's an extra 100m to the 61 for them.

Quote from: techblitz on January 21, 2018, 11:48:13 AM
^ still dwarfed by translinks incompetence......you know....the ones who negotiated the deal without consultation,without any sort of pressure on BCC/BT to reform OCR.....and last but not least....when we have routes on the gold coast finishing early or Kallangur/Dakabin routes carrying 5 people on average due to poor frequency....they can still manage to find funds to throw towards glider extensions.

Don't blame TransLink for a situation which is entirely caused by Brisbane people being puerile infants who are solely interested in themselves & think themselves to be experts on everything & protest over the removal of a bus route they never use.

I was starting to regain faith in BCC after two years of non-stupid changes. The most recent two changes (61 and P228) have merely shown that BCC is going back to the good old fashioned days of rearranging deck chairs on the titanic...

techblitz

^ must I keep reminding you that you signed a petition for the 411? You've technically got no right to 'name call' other Brisbane residents for being 'selfish,pedantic' or puratile infants or whatever.....unless you can take your name off the petition then stop venting your frustrations at other bus users....
How about venting some of that frustration at QR who have given us squat for the last 2 and soon to be 3 years.....at least BT/BCC have given a little something for the fare increases that we have to wear from tomorrow...

James

Quote from: techblitz on January 21, 2018, 12:07:04 PM
^ must I keep reminding you that you signed a petition for the 411? You've technically got no right to 'name call' other Brisbane residents for being 'selfish,pedantic' or puratile infants or whatever.....unless you can take your name off the petition then stop venting your frustrations at other bus users....
How about venting some of that frustration at QR who have given us squat for the last 2 and soon to be 3 years.....at least BT/BCC have given a little something for the fare increases that we have to wear from tomorrow...

Yes, I'm a "whinger" for signing a petition because the bus which connects me to my nearest shopping centre & closest CBD connection point (Toowong) was going to be totally removed. Many others on the forum agreed that total removal of the 411 was a step backwards. To draw any parallels with the 61 extension is bizarre and requires some mind-bending logic.

You are insufferable in your support of a broken network. Just because QR is incompetent, doesn't mean BT should be getting a free pass for being "only a bit incompetent".

techblitz

well apart from a whinger....your also a hypocrite.....for having a go at commuters in other suburbs for signing petitions,knitting bus stops or whatever else they did......when you admitted to signing the 'save the 411 bus' petition.
That instantly nullifies your case against other bus users.....doesn't matter if you drew up a flash alternative plan for your local area.
I have no objection with other rbot members calling out passengers but you..i do.......difference between me and you is I didn't sign a petition against the bus review.

QuoteYou are insufferable in your support of a broken network. Just because QR is incompetent, doesn't mean BT should be getting a free pass for being "only a bit incompetent".
given the state of the train network and how it is panned out since 2013....i think I am perfectly entitled to step it up and go full bull pro for BT/BCC because its clear that QR are failing to meet their obligations as a reliable operator...so imho...the more BT services the better......and ive been stating for years that they could unravel a lot more if they worked on certain corridor duplication and direct it elsewhere.So to sit there and say that I'm happy with the network makes you look foolish...

ozbob

Just stick to the arguments for and against please.

Please refrain from personal slams.

We all differ in points of view from time to time.

Thanks.

techblitz

No worries ozbob....
Back onto the topic....
BT have chosen holdsworth st strategically imo......so as to induce locals to be less reliant on the OCR routes on the inbound.....this way if the locals do end up warming to the glider(even though they do lose several minutes as opposed to using the 222)...it should then pave the way for reform on the other duplicating routes or turning one or two of those routes to full express (330 style)

#Metro

<broken record begins>

The entire bus network needs to be reviewed. Everything.

</broken record ends>

🡱 🡳