• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

TransLink Access Pass

Started by ozbob, April 29, 2010, 11:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://www.translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/other-tickets/special-access-passes/translink-access-pass

This pass is for the use of folks who are unable to use a go card.

Full details click here!

QuoteWho is the TransLink Access Pass for?

The TransLink Access Pass is for people with a permanent disability who can travel independently on TransLink services, and have been assessed by a qualified health care professional as being unable to touch on or touch off with a go card.

This includes people who are in a wheelchair and have limited fine hand movement, as well people who have an intellectual disability.

The TransLink Access Pass is not issued to every person who has a disability. People with a disability who require a constant companion/guide/carer to assist them are not eligible for a TransLink Access Pass.

This is a very welcome initiative.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

WTN

Some time ago I witnessed a woman in a wheelchair unable to use her hands, but still managing to touch on and off a bus.  She had her card dangling off the end of a stick, which she used her mouth to pick it up and swing it to the reader.  This was on a low floor bus, but I imagine she would have difficulty at a gated station.  An access pass would remove all this hassle.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

p858snake

Quote from: WTN on April 30, 2010, 00:11:20 AM
Some time ago I witnessed a woman in a wheelchair unable to use her hands, but still managing to touch on and off a bus.  She had her card dangling off the end of a stick, which she used her mouth to pick it up and swing it to the reader.  This was on a low floor bus, but I imagine she would have difficulty at a gated station.  An access pass would remove all this hassle.
For the gated station part, There would still need to be a staff member around.

Although for Roma Street (only experience w/ gated stations) I guess if there wasn't a staff member around the gates (QR or Translink Officer), one could go up to the paper ticket counter to request assistance.

justanotheruser

Thanks Bob for mentioning this. I work in the disability sector and this information could come in very useful for clients.

ozbob

8)

A good move by TransLink and Government.  Glad you have found it useful, please spread the word folks.

STB

I wonder if there is any benefit for flood victims to have access to the TransLink Access Pass at a discounted price, for them to have for at least six months, a one off, while they get back on their feet?

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

6th September 2011

TransLink Access Pass - suitable for some Seniors

Greetings,

There are some Seniors in the Community who have had to restrict travel because they are not confident with the go card technology, and if they elect to travel using 2 hour paper single tickets the costs become unmanageable.

The TransLink Access Pass ( http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/other-tickets/special-access-passes/translink-access-pass ) is available for users who are not able to use a go card because a significant permanent physical or intellectual disability.

It would make a lot of sense to allow persons over a certain age to also apply for a TransLink Access Pass as an alternative.  Other states simply give Seniors free travel.

A bit of commonsense here will return much in terms of improved health and well being as 'house-bound' Seniors can once again get out and about without the considerable personal stress and financial penalty for some now.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

O_128

For gods sake it really is not hard to use a go card, these people seem to reach a certain age and just give up, the easiest solution is to buy the myki equipment.
"Where else but Queensland?"

ozbob

Quote from: O_128 on September 06, 2011, 11:03:01 AM
For gods sake it really is not hard to use a go card, these people seem to reach a certain age and just give up, the easiest solution is to buy the myki equipment.

There are a number of aged frail folk that are having problems.  It would help them to have an access pass.  They also have problems with the AVVMs.

Take the blinkers off.

mufreight

With the junk card readers that Cubic and Translink has inflicted upon the traveling public there are many who can not read the card readers, have audio impairment and as a consequence are getting continualy pinged with fixed fares to the point that many are effectively house bound because of the fear of fixed fares which they can not afford and which could well leave them stranded for their return journey home.
0_128 you yourself will age and hopefully will not be aflicted with these problems or perhaps by that time both Cubic and Translink will have dissapered into the sands of time and the equipment and fare system might be more equatible and reliable.
In the mean time it would be be benefical not only to these disadvantaged people but to the community at large to make change to the system such as the access card which would provide unlimited travel on the payment of $50 or $60 for a six month period. foul ups with touching on and off would then no longer matter and the fare revenue would see little change as most would only be making one or two zone journies on average twice per week and in most cases these are off peak.

p858snake

Just because people are old, doesn't mean they give up... I'm not old (i'm younger than 30) and even I have had issues with using AVMs, so much I've actually had to give up trying to use them some times and had to go to the window.

If I can't manage to use the screens on some of the AVMs there is no way I expect any elderly person to be able to.

The touch screen AVMs should have never of been chosen from the usability/accessibility point of view, They should of went with one of the machines with the buttons to the edge of the screen (ATM style) to give tactile feedback to the end user (also because they are much easier to use than trying to touch a screen). (Oh and yes, Cubric does have machines in this style as well, so its not a matter of they weren't possible)

Golliwog

Don't know if its just me but I find I have to touch just off the buttons on those touch screens. And I have to stoop to read what comes up on the eftpos screen when it comes to actually paying. Gotta love being taller than average...

My point is though they are definitely not one size fits all.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

In the October-November 2011 edition of ONECOTA, the magazine  of the Council on the Aging (COTA), COTA QLD has added their support (page 23) for our call for consideration of TransLink Access Pass being made available to Seniors as needed.

mufreight

Quote from: ozbob on October 05, 2011, 07:10:38 AM
In the October-November 2011 edition of ONECOTA, the magazine  of the Council on the Aging (COTA), COTA QLD has added their support (page 23) for our call for consideration of TransLink Access Pass being made available to Seniors as needed.

How much loss of revenue (other than fixed fares) would there be if Seniors were all issued an access pass for which thhey would be charged a $50 fee for six months?

ozbob

Quote from: mufreight on October 07, 2011, 07:28:37 AM

How much loss of revenue (other than fixed fares) would there be if Seniors were all issued an access pass for which thhey would be charged a $50 fee for six months?

I think over a certain age threshold, seniors who do NOT qualify under the existing TAP (TransLink Access Pass) requirements, be allowed to apply and obtain one on application.  That age threshold is probably around 70 years I think.  Motor vehicle licence requirements are being revisited at the moment and early advice suggests that after 70 years ability to drive a motor vehicle does become a problem for some.  So linking that with new requirements for motor vehicle licensing makes some sense.  Many folks over 70 are quite happy to use a go card, but for others they might be better off with the TAP.

This is generally an important issue as the population ages and becomes more mobility impaired.  There are significant ramifications for public transport.

O_128

Quote from: ozbob on October 07, 2011, 13:52:33 PM
Quote from: mufreight on October 07, 2011, 07:28:37 AM

Lets follow japans example, hand in your licence over and you get a TAP for the cost of your licence

I think over a certain age threshold, seniors who do NOT qualify under the existing TAP (TransLink Access Pass) requirements, be allowed to apply and obtain one on application.  That age threshold is probably around 70 years I think.  Motor vehicle licence requirements are being revisited at the moment and early advice suggests that after 70 years ability to drive a motor vehicle does become a problem for some.  So linking that with new requirements for motor vehicle licensing makes some sense.  Many folks over 70 are quitE happy to use a go card, but for others they might be better ofF with the TAP.

This is generally an important issue as the population ages and becomes more mobility impaired.  There are significant ramifications for public transport.
"Where else but Queensland?"

ozbob

If high cost paper single tickets are making life miserable, and you cannot use a go card ..

The TransLink Access Pass might be the answer for you or your friends and family etc.

See --> http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/translink-access-pass

Thomas Magor

When I lived in Germany, this is what everyone used! There was a yearly fee which equated to something like making 5 return journeys a week for the whole year, at a cost 33% less than buying paper tickets.

Our buses had three doors and you could board at any door, so loading/unloading was incredibly fast as the pass did not need to be validated. Fare evasion was rare because the consequences of getting caught were so dire. First strike 40,- euro, second strike 40,- euro again..... third strike and you would be ineligible to ever apply for/receive an "access pass" FOR LIFE :/ and spot checks, or "controls" as we called them, were quite common.
I am the continuator.

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/translink-access-pass

From Monday 6 January 2014, the fee for a new or renewal TransLink Access Pass was increased to $62.90, and $14.15 for a replacement of lost, stolen or damaged pass.

ozbob

Media release 17th June 2014

SEQ: Cannot use a go card?  Consider a TransLink Access Pass

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has said there appears to be a general lack of community awareness concerning the option to a go card for those unable to use a go card - the TransLink Access Pass.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"A number of years ago, TransLink to their credit introduced the TransLink Access Pass (1). This pass is for people who are not able to use a go card for significant permanent physical or intellectual disability. "

"Recent events suggest that community awareness of the TransLink Access Pass is low (2, 3)."

"We call on TransLink to conduct a community education campaign on the TransLink Access Pass, concentrating on those organisations most likely to benefit their constituencies as well as the general public."

References:

1. TransLink Access Pass  http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/translink-access-pass

2. He is going nowhere  http://www.thesatellite.com.au/news/hes-going-nowhere-disabled-man-left-behind/2283619/

3. http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=432.msg143166#msg143166

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Media release 17th June 2014 re-released 15th August 2014

SEQ: Cannot use a go card?  Consider a TransLink Access Pass

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has said there appears to be a general lack of community awareness concerning the option to a go card for those unable to use a go card - the TransLink Access Pass.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"A number of years ago, TransLink to their credit introduced the TransLink Access Pass (1). This pass is for people who are not able to use a go card for significant permanent physical or intellectual disability. "

"Events over a long period suggest that community awareness of the TransLink Access Pass is low (2, 3)."

"We call on TransLink to conduct a community education campaign on the TransLink Access Pass, concentrating on those organisations most likely to benefit their constituencies as well as the general public."

References:

1. TransLink Access Pass  http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/translink-access-pass

2. He is going nowhere  http://www.thesatellite.com.au/news/hes-going-nowhere-disabled-man-left-behind/2283619/

3. http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=432.msg143166#msg143166

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Letter to the editor Queensland Times 20th August 2014 page 15

Call for campaign to raise aw3areness of Access Pass

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2018/7/27/fees-cut-for-passengers-with-a-disability

JOINT STATEMENT
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey

Minister for Communities and Minister for Disability Services and Seniors
The Honourable Coralee O'Rourke

Friday, July 27, 2018

Fees cut for passengers with a disability

People with a disability using the TransLink Access Pass (TAP) will no longer pay for replacement card charges from August 1.

Card expiry dates will be extended from one to five years too, meaning eligible travellers with a permanent disability won't need to pay for annual renewals.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said dropping the fees was about removing barriers to people using public transport.

"Previously, TAP users had to pay $72 each year to renew their card," Mr Bailey said.

"These cards are specifically for people with a significant permanent physical or intellectual disability who can travel independently but may have trouble touching on or off with a go card.

"We all have costs to manage in our daily lives so getting rid of these fees means one less thing for TAP holders to budget for."

Disability Services Minister Coralee O'Rourke said every person should be able to participate in and enjoy what Queensland has to offer.

"Removing annual and replacement card fees is a small step, but it's one that demonstrates the Palaszczuk Government's commitment to building a transport network that is accessible to every person," Ms O'Rourke said.

The TransLink Access Pass provides free travel for people who are able to travel independently on the public transport network but may experience difficulty using TransLink's ticketing system.

An expiry date for the TAP has been retained to ensure eligible cardholders can be confirmed as Queensland residents every five years.

For further information on TransLink ticketing concessions and passes can be found at translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/disability (external site)  or by calling 13 12 30.

ENDS

🡱 🡳