Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Route 539  (Read 1644 times)

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
Route 539
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »
So I was having a look over the timetable just now.

In all seriousness - why not just extend it to Toowoomba?

It's around 75 minutes from Rosewood to Helidon (which includes the loop around Gatton).  Google gives me 67 minutes by car following more or less the same route, including diversion to the UQ campus.

Assuming it extends straight up the range to the Toowoomba Bus Station, via the most direct route (with some stops along the Warrego at say Withcott and maybe the St Vincent's Hospital), it's only another 20 minutes or so.

The only thing militating against it would be that there are only 2 trips each direction per day which go west of Gatton, but given the only stops west of Gatton are at Grantham and Helidon that is perfectly understandable.  If we were talking about connecting to the 100,000 people up the range, it would be a different story.  Helidon is only 10 minutes from Gatton.

We'd be talking about running a route with a roughly 100 minute trip time, which is around the same as the 529 to Toogoolawah.

The marginal cost versus the potential market makes it seem like a pretty simple choice to me.
Ride the G:

Offline OzGamer

Re: Route 539
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
The problem might be that that would effectively put Toowoomba into the Translink network and then they might start asking for proper services.

The existing service is just a replacement for the old railcar.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »
Well strictly speaking it is part of the TransLink network as of last year, just not the SEQ ticketing system.  That shouldn't be difficult to address though.  The NG ticketing system is meant to be able to be rolled out statewide on all urban bus services plus SEQ trains, trams and ferries, so even if the fares are not harmonised for contractual reasons that would enable you to use a go card.  It would be better than the Coolangatta/Tweed idiocy.
Ride the G:

Offline achiruel

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »
So I was having a look over the timetable just now.

In all seriousness - why not just extend it to Toowoomba?
Maybe DTMR are worried about having to compensate Greyhound for loss of income? I believe the Roma St - Toowoomba route is a real earner for Greyhound.

Although you'd have to be a pretty dedicated saver to choose a train from Roma St - Ipswich, then a train from Ipswich - Rosewood, then a bus from Rosewood to Toowoomba total travel time (by my estimate) around 3hr 20 min, vs a one-trip bus that does the journey in 1:45.

The problem might be that that would effectively put Toowoomba into the Translink network and then they might start asking for proper services.

Plenty of areas in the TL area already have rubbish services, why should Toowoomba be any different?  :bna:

Offline #Metro

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »

The existing service is just a replacement for the old railcar.

Toowoomba should be on the TL network. Plenty of people drive there from Brisbane, never understood why it wasn't properly hooked up to the network.

Doesn't require new infrastructure. Maybe hourly services or something as a trial in partnership with the Toowoomba Regional Council.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:40:07 AM »
It shouldn't be hard to do contractually speaking.  Bus Qld already operate every route service bus south and west of Wacol / Forest Lake / Browns Plains (including the 539 and the Toowoomba network) just under 4 separate contracts.  It should only be a question of funding.
Ride the G:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan