Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Gold Coast heavy rail extensions, new stations etc.  (Read 21720 times)

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
Re: Gold Coast heavy rail extensions, new stations etc.
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »
I'm not too fussed about express tracks.  The better arrangement in my view is for all Gold Coast trains to stop at all Gold Coast stations - even with the proliferation the journey time increase isn't excessive.  It's also way, way out of scope to be trying to factor in anything beyond just faster QR services (eg a proper east coast HSR). 

The real issue is north of Beenleigh.

I wonder how much input TransLink and Kinetic have had on bus operations.  All these stations getting built (not just CRR related) with one way loops and diversions when the template for success is over on the Mandurah line - especially at stations like Bull Creek.
Ride the G:

Offline kram0

« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
My main issue is still lack of provision for express/bypass tracks. There looks like there *might* be room to squeeze one in between the station and the Coomera connector, but it's tight, and would require a total rebuild of the station. West of the station is no problem though I suppose

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

The cost would be extremely high relative to the benefit. I would expect once the line is extended to GC Airport, you are likely to see two sets of stopping patterns, with key change over stations/interchange with light rail.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2021, 12:46:02 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Ridiculously few car parks in plans for Hope Island train station $

THE Gold Coast has a problem with public transport.

And no, I’m not talking about the light rail.

The 2016 census showed that just 4.1 per cent of Gold Coasters took some form of public transport to work, compared to the 73.7 per cent who used a private car.

The equivalent number for Greater Brisbane was 11.4 per cent, which matched the national average.

The state government is pouring billions into extending the tram system and building new heavy rail stations at Pimpama, Hope Island and Merrimac in a bid to try and move that dismal statistic. Will it work? The repetition of two basic mistakes suggest it will not.

The first mistake, a Transport and Main Roads favourite, was clear as day in the detailed plans for the new Hope Island Station unveiled this week. Remarkably, they show the provision of only 179 carparks. ...
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

Offline Gazza

« Reply #203 on: September 01, 2021, 12:32:59 PM »
I think with hope island, they need to come out and say that yes it will only have 179 initially, but we will build more underneath the Coomera connector.
Because it would be silly to open with 600 spaces then have to take them out of use for construction of the bridge.

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »
What is the time delay (generally) caused by waiting for GC express trains?
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2021, 08:27:40 AM »
Merrimac Station

Cross River Rail will transform the way we travel across all of South East Queensland and as part of its works, the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority will deliver three new rail stations on the Gold Coast Line to help connect South East Queensland’s growing population. These stations will be located at Pimpama, Hope Island and Merrimac.

Following consultation undertaken on the concept design in October 2019, a detailed design of Merrimac station has been prepared and we are now seeking your feedback.

Feedback on the detailed design will be used to inform a final design for construction.

>>> https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/stations-routes/gold-coast-line/merrimac-station/

Online survey

> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MXLS95H

====

The new Merrimac station will include the following features:

1. Approximately 275 car parks
2. Lighting and CCTV throughout car park and station
3. Eight accessible car parks
4. Through-lifts on each platform
5. Accessible kiss ‘n’ ride bays
6. Accessible taxi bays
7. Bus stops
8. Bus parking
9. Undercover lock-up for 40 bicycles
10. Planned connection to local pedestrian and cycle paths
11. Cycle path
12. Provision for pedestrian connection
13. Existing pedestrian connections
14. Station building and ticketing
15. Stairs connecting entry level to platforms
16. Pedestrian overpass
17. New signalised intersection
18. Balancing pond

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2021, 08:45:12 AM »
Fortunately they have done away with the third lift connecting the entrance area to Gooding Dr - that could have seen access to the inbound platform being via 3 separate lifts.

Still not a fan of point 12 - that should be a connection from day 1, not "FFBNW".
Ride the G:

Offline Gazza

« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
What was the reason for not building it closer to Gooding Drive?

Offline Jonno

« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2021, 02:04:38 PM »
This is seriously a worst practice design.  It is car-centric, not integrated to the surrounding developments, requires the bus to wonder off the main road and the bike parking is really just a token.   It creates an unsafe, no casual observation from surround developments and access for people living with a disability is indirect at best.  It is stuck in the 1970's.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »
All the Gold Coast stations have mega park n rides including the nearly opened one at Varsity Lakes,

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2021, 05:53:52 PM »
This is seriously a worst practice design.  It is car-centric, not integrated to the surrounding developments, requires the bus to wonder off the main road and the bike parking is really just a token.   It creates an unsafe, no casual observation from surround developments and access for people living with a disability is indirect at best.  It is stuck in the 1970's.

I agree, but I challenge you to do better with this one.  It's not as easy as snapping your fingers to change the policy settings that created the surrounding built environment in a way that would make this work more effectively - it's built out and will always be a lower density location.  "Car-centric" is exactly what this is because the station is being delivered decades after everything around it.

The bus network isn't an issue in my mind.  The number of services through here is small, which is a reflection of the local population density.  There's no way to get a bus to this station without deviating off Gooding Drive or having a long walk from there.  There clearly isn't room north of the bridge for anything and building in and around the bridge is going to drive up the cost.  I expect what would happen in practice is you'd split the local network up a bit so this would be a terminus, especially once the new estate at Worongary starts getting built up.  There aren't many through bus services at Gold Coast line stations even now - Robina is the major exception because the big trip generator at the Town Centre is just on the other side of it.  (Another planning failure since the station and town centre are not co-located.)

The biggest problem by far is lack of pedestrian access from the west, and even then where are you going to put it?  There's not exactly a lot of rights of way where you could put connections in short of resuming homes.
Ride the G:

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast railway: Train and light rail extension to Gold Coast Airport for 2032 Olympic Games $

THE Gold Coast heavy rail line can be extended from Varsity Lakes to Gold Coast Airport in time for the 2032 Olympic Games.

But only if the council, state and federal governments reach an extraordinary funding deal.

Political leaders say they are increasingly confident both light and heavy rail connections to the airport can be achieved within 11 years, but the cost for both will each top several billion dollars.

A business case is being developed for light rail Stage 4, to run between Burleigh Heads and the border.

Meanwhile, an $8m study on the proposed heavy rail extension is due to be completed in early 2022.

McPherson MP and Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews said the extension of the railway was key to the vision of the city’s future.

“By 2032 I would like to see the southern Gold Coast connected to the rest of the city and Brisbane via heavy rail,” she said.

“I remain a strong advocate for heavy rail and know that local residents want this transport option. ...

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2021, 11:50:05 AM »
^^Great

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
Taken the other day at Nerang Station

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:34:14 AM by ozbob »

Offline Jonno

« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2021, 11:10:00 PM »

I agree, but I challenge you to do better with this one.  It's not as easy as snapping your fingers to change the policy settings that created the surrounding built environment in a way that would make this work more effectively - it's built out and will always be a lower density location.  "Car-centric" is exactly what this is because the station is being delivered decades after everything around it.

The bus network isn't an issue in my mind.  The number of services through here is small, which is a reflection of the local population density.  There's no way to get a bus to this station without deviating off Gooding Drive or having a long walk from there.  There clearly isn't room north of the bridge for anything and building in and around the bridge is going to drive up the cost.  I expect what would happen in practice is you'd split the local network up a bit so this would be a terminus, especially once the new estate at Worongary starts getting built up.  There aren't many through bus services at Gold Coast line stations even now - Robina is the major exception because the big trip generator at the Town Centre is just on the other side of it.  (Another planning failure since the station and town centre are not co-located.)

The biggest problem by far is lack of pedestrian access from the west, and even then where are you going to put it?  There's not exactly a lot of rights of way where you could put connections in short of resuming homes.

I think these is a lot of opportunity to fix this.  The key is build the station under the bridge and connect the station via pedestrian links to surrounding streets.  Bus stops added to the bridge with lifts to station adjacent.  Pedestrian crossing lights at the top of the bridge for bus stops.   The density can be addressed over time to increase density around the station.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194479288@N08/51683933426
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:33:14 AM by ozbob »

Offline OzGamer

« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2021, 04:41:58 PM »
That design looks much better, and there is at least some walkability built in, as well as the possibility of having a connection with buses that are on a useful and direct route in both directions. The problem is that in Queensland people seem to assume that the most important, or maybe only, consideration, is how to make it easier for people to drive their cars to the station.

I don't understand why a line needs a dozen stations, every one of which seems designed primarily as a park and ride. Surely one or two would do because a park and ride can be further from your destination.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan