Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Gold Coast: Public Transport Plan 2018-2028  (Read 2112 times)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Gold Coast: Public Transport Plan 2018-2028
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »
Gold Coast Bulletin --> Gold Coast transport plan shows more buses and trams needed but not water ferries

WATER ferries and water taxis have been ruled out of the Gold Coast City Council’s push to improve the city’s public transport system.

Instead the council’s 10-year traffic plan focuses on extending the light rail and pushing the state government for more high frequency bus services.

The draft Public Transport Plan 2018-2028 was presented to the council’s Infrastructure Committee yesterday ahead of going out for public consultation later this month.

The council’s Infrastructure Director Alton Twine told the committee yesterday any water service would be too slow.

“The capacity is small and by the time you load 40 people on and off the ferry and get to the destination, it would have been quicker to put them on the bus,” he said.

Hampering the efforts has been the six knot speed limit in force across Gold Coast waterways.

The plan instead sets out a desire to build the light rail extension to Burleigh in the next five years and extend the track south to Coolangatta within the next five to ten years.

A part of the plan is an aim to get 12 per cent of the population on public transport by 2031.

In 2016 4.8 per cent of Gold Coasters used public transport.

The council is also planning to lobby the next state government for high frequency bus services on the northern Gold Coast.

“The state government suggests the demand is not strong enough for high frequency services,” Pimpama councillor Donna Gates said.

“My point of view is build it and they will come.

“Deliver the service and it will be used. They can’t use what’s not there.”

The council operates the service but the state government is in charge of deciding the frequency of bus routes and where they go.

Infrastructure committee chairwoman Dawn Crichlow said more public transport services were needed.

“More buses and pick up services, that’s what we need,” she said.

“Let’s go to the public and ask the people what they want.”

The committee voted to have the report returned in a fortnight to give them time to consider the community consultation questions.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: Gold Coast: Public Transport Plan 2018-2028
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:17:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/Robert_Dow/status/926186322322112512
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

Offline techblitz

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »
A part of the plan is an aim to get 12 per cent of the population on public transport by 2031.In 2016 4.8 per cent of Gold Coasters used public transport.
start with your timetabling first

Had yet another nightmare day down there yesterday thanks to QR/Translink......late getting to varsity by train and late getting into varsity via that ridiculously clockfaced timetabled 765 which struggles under its 7 minute gap.....look....you can increase frequency all you want(765)....if you don't account for road congestion at varying times of the day & extend your timetables accordingly then its all for nothing and people will just drive to the station if they miss even one connection.

I find myself consistently having to sprint between bus and train on both gold and sunshine coasts due to either school or beachgoer traffic congestion slowing the buses down.The bus-rail gaps are not coping...

You wanna know something?? I never find myself having to sprint from any Brisbane transport bus service......because they don't operate on daft clockface theory....timetables are adjusted according to traffic levels....ever since the new timetable extensions last year my late arrival rate has decreased at least 2/3rds.And I use a lot of routes...
Case in point the 590

used to be clockface when it was introduced and copped a ridiculous amount of complaints.....
new timetabled duration ex garden city:

7am: 70 minutes
11am: 62 minutes
3pm: 70 minutes
5pm: 68 minutes

now virtually zero complaints on the route....likewise the GCL...
they even up the friggin frequency at the correct times as well...

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
The new timetables due in a few months will no longer be oriented around rigid clockface, in order to deal with those issues.
Ride the G:

Offline techblitz

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
great to hear :clp:
reviews at least every couple of years wouldn't go astray.
534 is yet another one suffering from this stupidity....for the second time in a row...Friday this time....im leaving forest lake 17 minutes late.....driver has given the same excuse....usual pm congestion.....felt like saying back 'yeah and usual poor timetabling'....went easy on him as I'm not going to miss a train  ;)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan