Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Slow "Express" Service  (Read 2009 times)

achiruel

Slow "Express" Service
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »
Anyone have any idea as to why the 6:59am ex Beenleigh (express from Kuraby to Salisbury) takes 1hr 12min vs the 7:18am all stations 1hr 8min for the 7:18am all stops.

One odd thing I did notice is 6min from Edens Landing to Bethania, which normally takes 2min. Crossing a Gold Coast service perhaps, or maybe one passes it here?

Also, travel time from Kuraby to Salisbury is identical (16 minutes) on both journeys. Why bother having an express service? Is it just to distribute passenger loadings more evenly?

Offline James

Re: Slow "Express" Service
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Anyone have any idea as to why the 6:59am ex Beenleigh (express from Kuraby to Salisbury) takes 1hr 12min vs the 7:18am all stations 1hr 8min for the 7:18am all stops.

One odd thing I did notice is 6min from Edens Landing to Bethania, which normally takes 2min. Crossing a Gold Coast service perhaps, or maybe one passes it here?

Also, travel time from Kuraby to Salisbury is identical (16 minutes) on both journeys. Why bother having an express service? Is it just to distribute passenger loadings more evenly?

On the first point - what happens is the all-stops train pulls into P3 at Bethania, while the GC train runs express and overtakes it, and then the all-stops train continues on its merry way. This allows GC trains to run every 7.5 minutes in this period.

On the second point - the only rational reason I can think of is to prevent overcrowding on that service. Chances are it can't go any faster anyway as the slot before it across the Merivle is probably occupied by another train.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan