• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Brisbane: Bus Electric Rapid Transit (' Brisbane Metro ')

Started by ozbob, March 04, 2017, 00:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Quote from: Jonno on August 28, 2024, 07:34:47 AMHas the State vacated public transport planning?

Looming political oblivion does endear strange bedfellows  :eo:

" ... The Courier-Mail can reveal Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner, Premier Steven Miles and the Council of Mayors SEQ have pledged to join forces and lobby the federal government to fast-track a business case for the bold extension. ...  "

Well our LM thinks BRT = 'metro', the Council of Mayors set up the fast rail con for the 2032 games, and Steven is trying to climb 30 foot poles covered in grease!

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

verbatim9

Looks like the Doomben line from EG will be eventually converted to BRT.

ozbob

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 28, 2024, 07:43:28 AMLooks like the Doomben line from EG will be eventually converted to BRT.

No it doesn't.  It is just a line on an ideas map.  There some sensible possible extensions (e.g. Hyperdome, Capalaba and Carseldine) but I don't include Airport as one of them.

It makes no sense where there is existing rail.  Prioritise the corridors where there is real benefit and economic value IMHO. 

ozbob

ozbob

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/brisbane-news-live-new-translink-app-out-today-brisbane-s-1b-quantum-computer-under-cloud-qld-did-trumpism-first-20240827-p5k5rl.html?post=p57ika#p57ika

QuoteQld govts to lobby for federal funds to expand bus service

Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner, Premier Steven Miles and the South-east Queensland Council of Mayors have launched a plan to expand the Brisbane Metro.

Under the LNP's $1.4 billion Brisbane Metro electric mega bus plan the 60 three-car mega buses will collect bus passengers from suburban hubs and carry through the CBD with a five-minute frequency.

The two levels of government say they are joining forces to lobby the federal government for funds to expand the rapid bus service into Brisbane's suburbs.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

Bold push to extend BERT !

28th August 2024

Good Morning,

Some interesting news concerning BERT ( ' Brisbane NOT A Metro ').

As reported today by the Couriermail  Bold push to extend Metro to SEQ suburbs in time for 2032 https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qld-politics/bold-push-to-extend-metro-to-seq-suburbs-in-time-for-2032/news-story/7df9e77154a65825af84acfb03c93c82 plans to extend BERT.

Firstly, the headline should really read ' Bold push to extend BERT (bus electric rapid transit) to SEQ suburbs in time for 2032 '
Correct descriptions are important, 'Brisbane Metro' is bus rapid transit. Go to Sydney to see what a real Metro is.

BERT is good bus rapid transit, but let's not pretend it is something it is not.

Expanding BERT, the bus electric rapid transit, is something we support. It means better capacity on high frequency BERT routes, and allows more buses to be deployed to feeder, cross-suburban and new bus routes.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track https://backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on August 19, 2024, 01:51:49 AMSent to all outlets:

BERT - Bus Electric Rapid Transit

19th August 2024

Greetings,

Sydney opens up the latest section of their Metro ( a real Metro ) today.  Well done.

Sydney Metro City to open on Monday 19 August
https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/sydney-metro-city-to-open-on-monday-19-august

Brisbane continues to labour on with the grossly inaccurate name of the Brisbane Electric Bi-Articulated bus rapid transport as the " Brisbane Metro ".

We tried hard for a long time to get the authorities to name the so called "Brisbane Metro" as something in line with its true character as good bus rapid transit.

Our suggestion is BERT - Bus Electric Rapid Transit.  The bi-articulated electric buses could be named ' Berties '.  Brisbane's BERT would be a winner, it really describes what it properly is, be a great marketing tool, and would help put an end to the constant downplaying of the "Brisbane Metro" as something it is not.  It would help promote BERT for its true nature as much improved bus rapid transit.

The  embarrassing farcical juxtaposition of the Sydney Metro versus the Brisbane Metro has never been more sharply in focus.

It is never too late to sort out failure.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track https://backontrack.org

ozbob

Facebook ...

Bold push to extend BERT ! 28th August 2024 Good Morning, Some interesting news concerning BERT ( ' Brisbane NOT A...

Posted by RAIL - Back On Track on Tuesday 27 August 2024

Jonno

This means we will retain the "Worst Public Transport in Australia" title for decades to come!!

If the State supports this they have sold all of us out to the noisy Lord Mayor!!

We cannot not support this in any way!!

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on August 28, 2024, 08:27:29 AMFacebook ...

Bold push to extend BERT ! 28th August 2024 Good Morning, Some interesting news concerning BERT ( ' Brisbane NOT A...

Posted by RAIL - Back On Track on Tuesday 27 August 2024

Bold push to extend Metro BERT to SEQ Brisbane suburbs in time for 2032
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

ozbob

The Guardian --> Brisbane's bus rapid transit service to expand to outer suburbs in time for 2032 Olympics

QuoteThe city's LNP mayor and the state Labor government have agreed to work together on 22 new stations, including the airport ...

https://x.com/ozbob13/status/1828581060898390136

ozbob

Government Statement

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/101184

Brisbane better connected: Plans for major Brisbane bus expansion unveiled

28th August 2024

JOINT STATEMENT

Premier
The Honourable Steven Miles

Deputy Premier, Treasurer and Minister for Trade and Investment
The Honourable Cameron Dick

Minister for Transport and Main Roads and Minister for Digital Services
The Honourable Bart Mellish

. The Miles Government, Schrinner Council and Council of Mayors (SEQ) unveil new expansion plans for Brisbane Metro; and

. Plans include a rapid detailed business case to expand Brisbane Metro south to Springwood, east to Capalaba, north to Carseldine and connecting to DFO and the Brisbane airport ahead of 2032

The Miles Government, Schrinner Council and Council of Mayors (SEQ) have unveiled a significant future expansion plan for Brisbane Metro, including a long-term plan for 22 new stations and stops in the north, south, east and Brisbane airport.

The partnership will expand the Metro bus rapid transit ahead of Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games to deliver fully-electric, high frequency, high-capacity reliable public transport to more destinations across Brisbane and neighbouring communities.

A rapid detailed business case will determine the feasibility of expanding the Metro south to Springwood, east to Capalaba, north to Carseldine and connecting to DFO and the Brisbane airport.

The Queensland Premier and Brisbane Lord Mayor have jointly written to the Federal Government seeking support for the Metro Expansion with ongoing partnership between all levels of government essential to deliver the Metro expansion ahead of Brisbane 2032.

Additionally, subject to the findings of the business case, the Miles Government, Schrinner Council and Council of Mayors (SEQ) would seek support to deliver priority infrastructure projects including transitway and bus priority infrastructure in the Northern Metro Corridor, as well as the new Northern Metro Depot to support the M2 extension to Chermside/Carseldine.

Brisbane has grown faster than any other capital city over the past 10 years, with another 1.55 million people expected to move to Brisbane by 2041. Regions around the South East like Logan, Redland and Moreton Bay are also experiencing significant growth pressures with the south east to be home to 6 million people by 2046.

Unlike other capitals like Sydney and Melbourne, bus services across Brisbane do much of the heavy-lifting when it comes to public transport travel in and around the city.

Along with the transformative Cross River Rail project, which will unlock capacity on the SEQ train network, a network of bus rapid transitways serviced by fully-electric Metro vehicles is key to Brisbane's public transport future.

It's also vital as Brisbane prepares to host Brisbane 2032. During the Sydney 2000 and London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, overall public transport patronage increased by almost one million trips per day.

The Metro Expansion project builds on the Miles' Government's 50 cent fares initiative to help reduce living costs and get people back on public transport.

Quotes attributable to Premier Steven Miles:

"It's clear from the level of investment from my government that we back public transport.

"Connected communities are better communities.

"Now, we will work together with council to do what matters to bring Brisbane Metro to Capalaba, Springwood, Carseldine and beyond.

"I want to see more of our busy and growing suburbs connected to the public transport network, in turn taking more cars off the road.

"That's good for busting congestion, and good for our environment."

Quotes attributable to Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner:

"Brisbane is Australia's fastest growing capital city and we need a transport plan to cater for our growth backed by all three levels of government.

"This expansion to Brisbane Metro will improve public transport to more destinations across Brisbane and neighbouring communities – and it's great to see this vision backed by the Queensland Government.

"It's going to require a team effort by all three levels of government to ensure our transport network is fit for purpose to both cater for the Games, but more importantly, cater for growth.

"It's a central piece of Brisbane's transport plan that will help to deliver better connectivity between venues for the Games, and a better transport network that will keep Brisbane and neighbouring communities moving.

"Using the Games to deliver a transport legacy was why the mayors of South East Queensland first developed the Games bid and this plan will deliver on that promise.

"I have enormous hope that all three levels of government can work together to make Brisbane 2032 the best Games ever."

Quotes attributable to Deputy Premier Cameron Dick:

"Brisbane was once known as a big country town, but it is now a world city on the rise.

"Brisbane's population is booming and that is only expected to continue with another 1.55 million people forecast to move here by 2041.

"The Miles Government already has its foot to the floor to deliver the infrastructure this growing State needs.

"Our Government also knows there is a lot more to do and the Brisbane Metro expansion plan shows we are preparing for what's next.

"All Queenslanders now and into the future deserve the opportunity to make their lives better, communities better and this State better.

"By delivering the best public transport system possible, our Government is making it easier for every Queenslander to seize all the opportunities Queensland has to offer."

Quotes attributable to Minister for Transport and Main Roads, Bart Mellish

"Our 50 cent Fare initiative has been a huge success and it's great to see so many people back on public transport.

"I'm really pleased to be able to partner with Brisbane City Council to improve our network even further by introducing more stations and stops across the city and into the suburbs, including northern suburbs.

"TMR has undertaken transport demand modelling which indicates that the corridor north to Chermside and Carseldine is the priority for the high-capacity Brisbane Metro vehicles and we are investing in the short and medium term works to support this.

"Ahead of continued population growth and of course, the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic games, this is a great commitment to deliver an even better public transport network."

Quotes attributable to Brisbane City Council Civic Cabinet Chair for Transport Ryan Murphy:

"We are committed to keeping Brisbane moving and this partnership to expand Brisbane Metro will deliver more services to more stops, more often.

"The recently completed Rochedale Metro Depot had capacity built into it for rapid expansion and it will work alongside the planned new Northern Metro Depot to support the expansion of fully-electric metros.

"By working together to deliver better public transport services we're reducing congestion and making it easier for residents to leave the car at home."

Quotes attributable to Member for Springwood Mick de Brenni

"We're doing what matters for Queensland by delivering more public transport services in our outer suburbs and delivering 50 cent fares.

"We've seen a significant uptick in public transport use with 50 cent fares, adding additional services will make it even more attractive to leave the car at home.

"This will ensure more locals here in our community can choose public transport, busting congestion on our busy roads."

Quotes Attributable to Mayor Jos Mitchell, Redland City Council

"Public transport investment is vital to the economic development of the Redlands Coast. Our workforce and students need access to efficient and affordable transport options such as this.

"This project would provide an important transport hub for connectivity across our local government area. Our growth in tourism and population depends on access to transport, particularly if the Southern Thornlands Priority Development Area progresses."

Quotes attributable to Member for Capalaba Don Brown:

"Getting cars off our roads is a top priority for me because the less time spent in traffic means more time with your loved ones.

"I have called for the Metro to come out to Capalaba since 2018, the Miles Government is doing what matters for Queensland and delivering them with the metro expansion."

"Our growing suburbs need access to better public transport services and I'm proud to be part of a government delivering them."

Quotes Attributable to Mayor Jon Raven, Logan City Council

"This announcement is huge for Logan. Rapid public transport from Springwood to Brisbane would be an absolute gamechanger for both our residents and our roads."

ENDS

ozbob

Metro Expansion Map (PDF)

Metro Expansion Map - 19 August 2024.jpg

Metro Expansion Map - 19 August 2024.pdf

#Metro

^ Looks like Verbatim9 will get a Metro BRT bus to DFO after all?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Quote from: #Metro on August 28, 2024, 11:09:23 AM^ Looks like Verbatim9 will get a Metro BRT bus to DFO after all?

I think that is the least likely to happen.

#Metro

That orange line, is that an actual removal of the Doomben line and replacement with BRT?

It looks like it?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Airtrain still has the contract which is why I don't think it will happen for now.

The two options on the map.  One is suggesting the Doomben line the other via Airport Link.

The other extensions could happen and make some sense.

AnonymouslyBad

Looks like politicking on council letterhead to me.

I'm of the belief that if they're going to do this "Metro" business it should be done properly, i.e. in dedicated right of way. There's no indication busway extensions are the plan, and given nobody's brave enough to even remove a lane of traffic at Windsor, I doubt it.

verbatim9

If they replace the Doomben line with BRT in the future we likely get an a active travel path alongside the entire length, which would be good.

verbatim9

Quote from: AnonymouslyBad on August 28, 2024, 12:03:47 PMLooks like politicking on council letterhead to me.

I'm of the belief that if they're going to do this "Metro" business it should be done properly, i.e. in dedicated right of way. There's no indication busway extensions are the plan, and given nobody's brave enough to even remove a lane of traffic at Windsor, I doubt it.
I don't think it's politicking when both sides agree on the way forward RACQ have also been advocating for the same thing as a quick cheaper  solution.

Jonno

Read the comments from public!  "It's not a metro" and "we need a metro like Sydney" public gets it

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/FBPRZuhMGh29tbDV/?mibextid=WC7FNe

STB

I can see some benefits to removing the Doomben line and replacing it with BRT - you could then free up some slots on the suburban tracks, and as long as Shorncliffe got duplicated, you could run high frequency trains from Shorncliffe to the City with those freed up tracks, on top of that, the Doomben line is only technically single track currently which limits trains to every 30mins (to include turnbacks at Doomben), and theoretically, this could be extended through to the Trade Coast or Hamilton Northshore.  I don't really see any benefit to going to the airport to be honest, and it won't be happening anyway until the contract ends with Airtrain which is post Olympics at this point in time.

In regards to the rest of it, I'm more so questioning about who is running this place, Steven Miles or Adrian Schrinner, because at this point, we might as well make the Lord Mayor the defacto Premier, given the political argy bargy fluff going on with this proposal.  This honestly makes Steven Miles look weak as a leader, with Adrian calling the shots with his beloved 'Metro' project (and I use the term Metro loosely), as given the election is coming up for the State, Steven basically will have to say yes in order to maintain potentially staying as Premier, despite the BCC really overstepping their mark here with the State to the point that BCC thinks they can simply now start taking over State owned railway lines for their buses.

nathandavid88

Quote from: ozbob on August 28, 2024, 07:16:45 AMWell well, Cr Murphy is starting to recognise BRT!

Very exciting news today as we announce the official opening of the Metro BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) depot in Rochedale....

Posted by Cr Ryan Murphy on Tuesday 27 August 2024

I have noticed over the past few months that their press releases have increased references to the Metro vehicles being buses. I think the opening of the Sydney Metro has just forced them to admit the distinction.

The Guardian article about the proposed expansion really acknowledges the distinction:

"The Brisbane Metro does not meet the international definition for a metro service because it does not run on tracks."

#Metro

Quote from: STBI can see some benefits to removing the Doomben line and replacing it with BRT - you could then free up some slots on the suburban tracks, and as long as Shorncliffe got duplicated, you could run high frequency trains from Shorncliffe to the City with those freed up tracks

Agree, some of the pros are that the Metro BRT would come every 5 min or so *in the off-peak *, whereas Doomben line trains currently are 30 min.

Even with a major upgrade to Doomben line, it's doubtful that trains would be better than every 15 min off peak, so the BRT is better in this regard.

aldonius

Quote from: STB on August 28, 2024, 12:58:27 PMyou could run high frequency trains from Shorncliffe to the City with those freed up tracks,

I mean, there's still the Airport line on the subs there too. But at Doomben's current low frequency I don't think it's any real impediment to running, say, 8 tph on the Shorncliffe line.

Post CRR, you could imagine Airport and Doomben at 4tph each all day and Shorncliffe 8tph peak 4tph off.

verbatim9

Maybe the Airport line, but Doomben is not getting 15 min frequencies all day.

ozbob

Couriermail --> Why critics are wrong to call Brisbane Metro a 'glorified bus line': Professor Matthew Burke $

QuoteCritics have labelled it a glorified bus line but a top transport expert says the new Brisbane Metro will put the River City on the right track for the next 20 years.

Griffith University transport planner Professor Matthew Burke says Brisbane does not need a multibillion dollar metro system like those being built in the likes of Sydney and Melbourne.

He says the Brisbane Metro is "a great solution" which is being rolled out at a fraction of the cost of other mass people movers.  ...

verbatim9

He is right though, there won't be time  nor the money to build a world class metro by 2030-32.

Maybe just focus on this and get the rail modernised and extended to OOL, Maroochydore and Toowoomba.

I am all in favour converting the Doomben line, as you would likely get a brand new active travel corridor alongside, plus it would allow for improvement of services on the mains and airport line.

verbatim9

Quote from: STB on August 28, 2024, 12:58:27 PMI can see some benefits to removing the Doomben line and replacing it with BRT - you could then free up some slots on the suburban tracks, and as long as Shorncliffe got duplicated, you could run high frequency trains from Shorncliffe to the City with those freed up tracks, on top of that, the Doomben line is only technically single track currently which limits trains to every 30mins (to include turnbacks at Doomben), and theoretically, this could be extended through to the Trade Coast or Hamilton Northshore.  I don't really see any benefit to going to the airport to be honest, and it won't be happening anyway until the contract ends with Airtrain which is post Olympics at this point in time

It can go to DFO though, but I would prefer the Gold Glider to do that. Unfortunately, Council has gone silent on the Gold Glider.

GonzoFonzie

Quote from: ozbob on August 28, 2024, 16:18:51 PMCouriermail --> Why critics are wrong to call Brisbane Metro a 'glorified bus line': Professor Matthew Burke $

QuoteCritics have labelled it a glorified bus line but a top transport expert says the new Brisbane Metro will put the River City on the right track for the next 20 years.

Griffith University transport planner Professor Matthew Burke says Brisbane does not need a multibillion dollar metro system like those being built in the likes of Sydney and Melbourne.

He says the Brisbane Metro is "a great solution" which is being rolled out at a fraction of the cost of other mass people movers.  ...

Disagree. You do need a multi-billion dollar transport system for Brisbane, just not on buses. How many more billions will be needed for these expansions?

On track for the next 20 years - more like off the rails in 2 years.

You are not fixing CRR; your an academic that's shilling a terrible project. The BCC isn't fixing CRR; they have been undermining anything rail related. The Metro sure as hell won't fix the southside when it is confined to the busway.

Light rail expensive! - Is $1.6 billion considered cheap for a system with no unique routes, and will not deliver on its frequency and patronage promises. Your cannot get the benefits of light rail with bloody bendy buses, especially when you are spending more on a system compared, if you built light rail in the first place. Fundamentally you can only get the benefits of light rail if you have and are using light rail.

'a great system' - said no one ever about public transport in Brisbane, or about the Brisbane Metro.

GonzoFonzie

Quote from: ozbob on August 28, 2024, 09:48:45 AMThe Guardian --> Brisbane's bus rapid transit service to expand to outer suburbs in time for 2032 Olympics

I think its time to embrace light rail.

Clearly you have a basket-case proposal here by the BCC, and made even worse by its mode. You are proposing a fraudulent and wasteful venture that goes beyond rationale planning and logic. There are no busway extensions planned; painting a lane pink is also not a busway extension.

When your idea of planning is just 'car-brain' mentality, and only wheel out your 'fake-metro brain' whenever light rail is discussed or when the media hypes up some new Olympics venue proposal.

One does not simply "Just extend the metro to... <insert location>?" There is not enough HESS buses in Denmark to handle the volume for the Olympics no matter what BCC planners or the mayor say. This is gaslighting.

We really do need light rail for Brisbane. All of our transport in Brisbane is currently insufficient and its a mess. Every past Olympic host city has light rail and/or a subway system. Brisbane is looking like to be the first without either. What an achievement. :fp:

Your proposal is not feasible and nobody cares about your bespoke buses whatever airy-fairy name you give them. It would be cheaper to convert the entire bus fleet to batteries than to buy & operate those HESS LighTram vehicles. No 'BERT' or 'Metro' titles, or need for special routes based off different bus models.

Any transport mode that wrecks BCC's car-brain planning, and offers better capacity and frequency then buses on services that won't benefit from longer buses should be seized upon.  It is why light rail has a place. Is the lack of discussion about it due to gas-lighting or just our complacency? There is much public demand for trams/light rail to return to Brisbane. Using the Olympics will be the greatest motivator this city has to actually have light rail built.

Therefore this latest proposal is a bridge too far. A line in the sand must be drawn. This project to date has not produced any benefits to buses or patronage. Please stop praising the BCC every time they something about buses. Eight years now and this 'scam-metro' has not delivered one passenger yet... eight years for a bus project! three of them on 'trialling & testing'!

Also what happened to the results of the bus network that occurred two years ago? Does it take that bloody long to decide and implement changes? Any normal network review would have taken 3-5 months to implement; so why 2 years!

Jonno

Agree

Supporting this or even just being neutral means it continues and locks us into a low capacity future!!

It will be a generation before any thought of fixing the mistake.

Rail in QLD is most certainly off track!!

AJ Transport

I'm not so 100% against this as Jonno and Gonzo though I often agree on many other topics.

I think it will, if fully rolled out, likely be a poor project based on the council and state track record. However if the following conditions and adjustments are made it could be decent.

Required conditions:
 - Grade separated busway or at minimum 24/7 bus lane.
 - No lights or utilising technology to make traffic lights respond and prioritise approaching buses.
 - Off peak frequency minimum every 7.5 minutes.
 - Running hours until very late and 24/7 on Friday and Saturday.
 - Interchanges with stations where possible (at present plans Carseldine, Windsor, Gabba, Eagle Junction).

Modifications needed:
 - Extend UQ lakes to Indro with train interchange.
 - Extend Springwood west to interchange with Beenleigh line.
 - Extend Capalaba east or north to interchange with the Cleveland line.

Having said all of that they're big ifs and buts for a project that with LNP and Labor acolytes proposing it has a very good chance of being implemented to some degree. I'm not surprised to see the proposal because it's been clear for a while that all likely rail improvements to complete before 2032 are already announced and more PT improvements are necessary.

I still want to get the name changed to BERT but I'm not sure how much energy we should put into this. It matters but it's more important to push for continued momentum on rail upgrades and expansion because that's the mode with greatest potential.

ozbob

On the money AJ.  Not much point of continued whining that we need light rail and proper metros.

Get a grip everyone, that is not going to happen any time soon. Cards have been dealt.

Brisbane is very much bus centric presently, just look at the patronage figures.  BERT will drive some improvements, I suspect not as much as some ' experts ' anticipate and these short falls will become apparent over the coming years. 

I am supportive of sensible extensions of the bi-artics, basically because it will allow better deployment of regular buses into new routes, enhanced feeders, improved frequency.

The existing rail network can do a lot more.  Focus on improving what we got. 

Re BERT, I am somewhat pleased to see BERT is now popping up in the ' wild ' all over the place. Even BCC now acknowledges the ' metro ' is BRT. This has been a significant shift. 

Still more to come ...

:2thumbs: 

ozbob

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/brisbane-olympics-and-paralympics-2032/brisbane-2032-olympics-lord-mayors-warning-over-wasted-days/news-story/5fbbc2003862bd904fac59bb4e81d9ff

Quote... Mr Schrinner praised the pragmatic approach to infrastructure by Premier Steven Miles, with the pair joining forces to lobby for a bold extension to Brisbane Metro. ...

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane Metro link to airport not cleared for take-off $

QuoteThe Queensland government has poured cold water on Brisbane City Council's plan to extend the Metro bus system to the airport, just hours after the premier and lord mayor appeared together to spruik the project. ...

... Central to the plan was a major expansion of the soon-to-be-operational Brisbane Metro, with 22 new stations proposed – including to Brisbane Airport.

Schrinner joined Premier Steven Miles and Transport Minister Bart Mellish at the media conference on Wednesday morning, in a joint plea for federal support to expand the Metro by reallocating $450 million committed to the Gabba Metro station through the South East Queensland City Deal.

Mellish said the state wanted to work with all levels of government to improve transport outcomes, but by the end of the day, he was tempering expectations of a new Brisbane Metro airport link.

"The state government does not initially believe these will be viable when you consider the existence of the current rail line and infrastructure," he said in a statement.  ...

:eo:

https://x.com/ozbob13/status/1828823605003886804

ozbob

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/brisbane-metro-link-to-airport-not-cleared-for-take-off-20240828-p5k636.html

Quote... Mellish said the state wanted to work with all levels of government to improve transport outcomes, but by the end of the day, he was tempering expectations of a new Brisbane Metro airport link.

"The state government does not initially believe these will be viable when you consider the existence of the current rail line and infrastructure," he said in a statement. ...

Those of you fantasying that the Doomben line will now be given over to BERT need to swallow some reality pills.

The whole BERT plan to BNE will not happen (either option) until after 2036 unless the State buys out the Airtrain BOOT contract,
and even then very unlikely due to the existing BNE railway.  :lo

🡱 🡳