Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Gold Coast Airport 2017 Master Plan  (Read 2469 times)

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
Gold Coast Airport 2017 Master Plan
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
http://www.goldcoastairport.com.au/regulatory/gold-coast-airport-2017-master-plan/

There is a fair amount of detail about ground transport proposals, including public transport (bus tram and train).
Ride the G:

Offline blake_brisbane

Re: Gold Coast Airport 2017 Master Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
Any plans in the pipeline to improve gold coast line rail alignment to improve speeds from beenleigh to park road (in particular the loganlea to kuraby area and coopers plains to to park road sections?)

Speeds beenleigh to varsity are great but it still takes longer in the train from varsity to park road than it does to drive. If government really wants to improve patronage (which i have my doubts about), then public transport journeys need to be made faster / easier than driving.

Imagine a 140kmh service all the way from varsity to the cbd. Would knock off the trip in 40 minutes and really be a big boost to the logan area as well. With the population growth its going to be necessary at one time another in any case.

Offline #Metro

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
Any plans in the pipeline to improve gold coast line rail alignment to improve speeds from beenleigh to park road (in particular the loganlea to kuraby area and coopers plains to to park road sections?)

Speeds beenleigh to varsity are great but it still takes longer in the train from varsity to park road than it does to drive. If government really wants to improve patronage (which i have my doubts about), then public transport journeys need to be made faster / easier than driving.

Imagine a 140kmh service all the way from varsity to the cbd. Would knock off the trip in 40 minutes and really be a big boost to the logan area as well. With the population growth its going to be necessary at one time another in any case.

Welcome blake_brisbane!

Western Australia is the way to go. Joondalup and Mandurah lines are really fast.

Cross River Rail will cut travel times by about 10 minutes. Further travel time cuts are possible by running more trains on the line (say every 15 mins - not sure if that is possible on current infra) and straightening.

Unfortunately, the $$ required to do this instead went into "M1 Pacific Motorway Upgrades".

That motorway is always being "upgraded" it has never been completed and probably never will. They just add more lanes or bigger interchanges each election.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »

Short answers are:

1. No plans in the public arena to my knowledge; and

2. Governments at various levels have been looking at the issue, partly for the Commonwealth Games and partly for what happens in future irrespective of the Games, but no firm plans for anything at all.

Any proposed rail infrastructure that is not actively being built or funded in any way can be ignored (eg any references to extending triplication south of Kuraby).  Not only is there no commitment to it, it won't improve travel time at all.

The only way to get anywhere is to build a new alignment for Gold Coast trains.  That can only realistically be via the M1 corridor so it also solves the peak hour bus issue for the whole M1 and busway catchment from Beenleigh to the CBD.

The only thing I would bother spending money on at the moment apart from Cross River Rail and enabling works from Dutton Park to Salisbury would be:
- Level crossing grade separations at Coopers Plains, Fruitgrove and Kuraby
- Realigning from Trinder Park to Compton Road (which potentially might involve a new station at Compton Rd itself)

I don't think there is anything in the rest of the alignment worth upgrading that couldn't be done more effectively through a new alignment altogether.  The Beenleigh line is going to be slow forever, and in reality that is because it shouldn't even exist.  We need to focus on it being for local access, not as a thoroughfare for trains from the outer suburbs or the Gold Coast.
Ride the G:

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
Skybus takes over Airport transfer business from Surfside Buslines

Melbourne-based SkyBus buys Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle from Surfside Buslines

Alister Thomson, Gold Coast Bulletin

November 14, 2017 5:42pm

A MELBOURNE-based airport transfer service has snapped up the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle (GCTS) as part of an aggressive expansion plan.

SkyBus, which was founded in 1978 and transports five million passengers in Victoria and New Zealand each year, will rebrand GCTS to SkyBus Gold Coast from early next month.

It will compete with Gold Coast bus company Con-X-ion among others in the heavily contested airport transfer service market.

SkyBus co-chief executive Adam Begg said the acquisition was part of a plan to grow the company in Australia.

THE COAST'S NEXT BIG SHOPPING MECCA

“Our move into Gold Coast is an exciting elevation of the SkyBus brand, providing a vital and world class service to one of Australasia’s most popular destinations,” he said.

“With Gold Coast Airport showing strong, continual year-on-year growth, increasingly from its long-haul and domestic passengers, we are optimistic that SkyBus Gold Coast will be the way to go for many travelling to and from this popular destination.” More here

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan