Media release 18th June 2016 re-released 24th June 2016Brisbane: Time to abandon the Metro pipe-dream Lord Mayor
RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org
) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has said the Quirk Metro proposal for Brisbane is seriously flawed and needs to be halted before more ratepayers funds are squandered (1).
Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:
"The fundamental flaw with the Quirk Metro proposal is that it only delivers 9,000 passengers/hour/direction (pphpd). The busways deliver around 15,000 pphpd (1)."
"Team Quirk has misrepresented the capacity of the proposed metro to the citizens of Brisbane as being 30,000 per hour. This is a fraudulent misrepresentation in our opinion. Using data supplied by Team Quirk (2) we have definitely shown that the peak capacity is only 9,000 pphpd."
"Other transport experts have shown that the route alignment and network effects are very adverse and the proposed metro will actually wreck inner Brisbane public transport (3, 4, 5)."
"We call on Lord Mayor Quirk to abandon this nonsensical project and commence bus network reform. Continue to work in coordination with TMR and develop a real metro proposal with the passenger capacity (at least 30,000 pphpd) that Brisbane will need down the track."
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org
1. Lord Mayor Graham Quirk's Metro vs Mathematics > http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=11952.msg174616#msg174616
2. Team Quirk ' Metro ' Information Request > http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=11952.msg175060#msg175060
3. Will Graham Quirk’s Brisbane Metro become a reality? 7news.com.au #bnetraffic #7News http://snpy.tv/1rrPNhy
4. Four key reasons metro plan is flawed > http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/news-story/270fcb35a4e60b5379e47ff73893763d
5. Brisbane Metro Subway System - Propaganda Response > http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/brisbane-metro-subway-system-cut-crap.html