• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Airtrain

Started by #Metro, August 05, 2008, 00:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on December 13, 2011, 12:05:12 PM
People from other lines do use the airport service and not just the Gold Coast line.

You mean the other lines which generally run half-hourly until last train, as opposed to the Gold Coast which reverts to hourly at 8:30pm?

;D
Ride the G:

HappyTrainGuy

ozbob

Presently at BNE International.  I cannot really see anything new with respect to go card etc.  The AVVM is still there, the transport desk at Arrivals is staffed, and the Airtrain PID is showing trains in 22 minutes or so ... must have the new gear inside the station office for refunds etc.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Gazza

When did International get an AVVM, and where is it?

Does domestic have one as well?

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on December 14, 2011, 20:11:02 PM
Presently at BNE International.  I cannot really see anything new with respect to go card etc.  The AVVM is still there, the transport desk at Arrivals is staffed, and the Airtrain PID is showing trains in 22 minutes or so ... must have the new gear inside the station office for refunds etc.
It is great news about this being sorted.  Looks like the Gold Coast Airport has been sorted too!

Probably media release time.  Now the only real lack is educating the tourists to buy a Go Card and that they can get a refund on departure.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on December 15, 2011, 09:58:02 AM
Quote from: ozbob on December 14, 2011, 20:11:02 PM
It is great news about this being sorted.  Looks like the Gold Coast Airport has been sorted too!

Probably media release time.  Now the only real lack is educating the tourists to buy a Go Card and that they can get a refund on departure.
And that can be fairly easily done by putting up signage at the airports, and having a little booklet targetting tourists with go card info to hand out at the airport and places like the tourist info centre in the Queen St Mall.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

dwb

Quote from: Golliwog on December 12, 2011, 17:40:24 PM
The new go card facilities at the Airport is a real plus for tourists and visitors. :-t

+1

dwb

Quote from: Golliwog on December 12, 2011, 09:53:16 AM
Quote from: ozbob on December 12, 2011, 09:48:58 AM
Quote from: Golliwog on December 12, 2011, 09:38:00 AM
Quote from: ozbob on December 12, 2011, 07:33:01 AM
Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow
@TransLinkSEQ New Airtrain timetables?? --> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323057640 services extend today ... @QueenslandRail

There is an updated timetable available on the Airtrain website: http://www.airtrain.com.au/timetable.php
It however isn't the Translink/QR .pdf file.

Yes, I checked the Airtrain site yesterday still the old one, has been updated overnight.  TL should have theirs up as well ..
So much for the Translink website being the "one stop shop" for PT in SEQ.

Perhaps it is an IT hiccup associated with the full implementation of HASTUS?

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on December 15, 2011, 10:46:51 AM
And that can be fairly easily done by putting up signage at the airports, and having a little booklet targetting tourists with go card info to hand out at the airport and places like the tourist info centre in the Queen St Mall.
First port of call would be some sort of "tourist guide" on their website.  Most people who would be using PT do a little bit of research before arriving, I would think.

somebody

PDF timetable is now up on TL's website.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on December 15, 2011, 11:07:35 AM
Quote from: Golliwog on December 15, 2011, 10:46:51 AM
First port of call would be some sort of "tourist guide" on their website.  Most people who would be using PT do a little bit of research before arriving, I would think.
Which I'm pretty sure they do have. In other languages as well. If you go to the bottom of the home page, they have a bunch of different languages you can pick and they have a bunch of info in that language. eg: http://translink.com.au/site-information/languages/french

Français

Informations sur les voyages
    Tickets et tarifs
    La go card
    Comment utiliser le bus
    Comment utiliser le train
    Comment utiliser le ferry
    A propos de TransLink
    Nous contacter
Each of those is a link to another page in that language.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

Digging a bit I found this page: http://translink.com.au/travel-information/visiting-south-east-queensland

QuoteTickets and fares

You can travel on the TransLink network using either a go card or a single paper ticket. go card is at least 30 per cent cheaper than the cost of a single paper ticket. Read more about the current fares and discounts and ways to save.

Tourists on the Gold Coast can also buy a 3, 5, 7 or 10 day Gold Cost Tourist freedom pass.

No advice like: "Getting a Go Card is easy, and unused credit as well as the deposit can be refunded when you leave Queensland at many outlets, including Brisbane domestic and international airports and the Gold Coast airport.  Those arriving or departing by bus can arrange this at Roma St transit Centre.  Search a full list of outlets(link)."

I would also say that the page isn't prominent on their home page.

Set in train

Quote from: Simon on December 15, 2011, 11:46:29 AM
No advice like: "Getting a Go Card is easy, and unused credit as well as the deposit can be refunded when you leave Queensland at many outlets, including Brisbane domestic and international airports and the Gold Coast airport.  Those arriving or departing by bus can arrange this at Roma St transit Centre.  Search a full list of outlets(link)."

I would also say that the page isn't prominent on their home page.

TL is not customer focussed, TL and the govt dept long forgotten that public transport is a service not a business to make money. This is the sentiment of the majority of commuters when talking PT with them.

#Metro

TL is not customer focussed, TL and the govt dept long forgotten that public transport is a service not a business to make money. This is the sentiment of the majority of commuters when talking PT with them.

I don't agree with this at all. Back in 2004 pre-TransLink it was very different fish.

Australian Transport systems, including TransLink receive some of the highest subsidies in the world - something like 75% - 80% of cash comes from subsidy!
When you compare major cities like Melbourne or Sydney (farebox around 30%) to Toronto (farebox around 70%) or other Canadian systems (which are comparable
to Australian systems in terms or urban form) you really have to wonder. Why are we paying so much for third rate frequency?

Most of the bus network is made up of either peak hour rockets and welfare/coverage services. The BUZ network only makes up a really small percent (something like 5-6%) of the bus route numbers in Brisbane. Hence the focus on core frequency...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

^ Federal government policies which provide an incentive to own company cars and provide parking are part of the reason for this, TT.

SurfRail

Quote from: Set in train on December 16, 2011, 10:50:39 AM

I don't think it is at all fair to say that TransLink has "profit" in mind when it only recovers less than 25% of what it spends.

It doesn't matter whether it is a public good or private enterprise - it still needs money to run properly, and in this case the vast majority comes from the government.  They have stewardship of that funding and need to stretch and supplement it as much as possible.
Ride the G:

Fares_Fair

Quote from: SurfRail on December 16, 2011, 15:38:40 PM
Quote from: Set in train on December 16, 2011, 10:50:39 AM

I don't think it is at all fair to say that TransLink has "profit" in mind when it only recovers less than 25% of what it spends.

It doesn't matter whether it is a public good or private enterprise - it still needs money to run properly, and in this case the vast majority comes from the government.  They have stewardship of that funding and need to stretch and supplement it as much as possible.

Hello SR,

I don't think SiT meant it the way you have interpreted it. Open for his correction here if need be.
I agree that TransLink are not customer focussed at all, though they have made significant improvements, there is still much to be done.
Their refusal to attend our CRG meetings on a number of occasions bears testament to that as well.

The constant subsidy line is fine and true, but what is government all about, it's about providing services to (us) the taxpayer.
It's not about them (TransLink) proclaiming how much it costs. The government needs to spend the money wisely and where it is needed not where it is politically porkable.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Twitter

Robert Dow @Robert_Dow    10 Jul
@BrisAirtrain how is patronage going since the extension of hours? Thanks

=================

Twitter

@Robert_Dow later service have been received well, with patronage increasing daily.
01:09 PM - 10 Jul 12 via web

somebody

I want figures!  :pr

Yes, I'm aware that they are under no obligation to provide them.  Perhaps I should buy some shares and ask it at the AGM.  Then it will be my business.

petey3801

From my observation when working Airtrain services, the trains are quite well patronised, especially during the day. The new nightly services are slowly getting more and more people as well. Most times (during the day especially) it is actually quite difficult walking from the entry/exit end of the platform to the International end of the platform to change ends, due to the amount of people getting off the train!
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

somebody

Be nice to have 15 minute interpeak frequency, but if that would nearly double the private operators costs then it isn't going to happen.

In case anyone is interested: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/2012/07/10/is-rail-on-track-at-sydney-airport/

Jonno

Quote from: Simon on July 18, 2012, 18:59:34 PM
Be nice to have 15 minute interpeak frequency, but if that would nearly double the private operators costs then it isn't going to happen.

In case anyone is interested: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/2012/07/10/is-rail-on-track-at-sydney-airport/

Adding additional services is not going to double the runnings cost.  AirTrain pay Queensland Rail a set amount per service but the remaining operating costs remain static. 

somebody

That's pretty much my point, it would not double the cost to QR but it would to Airtrain.

somebody

Those gaps didn't come about by any logical reason but services were added to the Gold Coast and Airtrain didn't feel like paying for the connection to the Airport.  Or at least that's my observations.

Things have been made harder now with the extension of two of the former Bowen Hills terminators/starters to Doomben and Shorncliffe.

Be nice if a deal could be struck between the govt and Airtrain to at least bring 15 minute frequency to the interpeak.  I guess there's higher priorities.

petey3801

Currently on 5165 (with 177 on the rear), about 8min before departure (2058) (when I boarded the train) there was 76 people on board, with more coming up the ramps.

somebody

Quote from: petey3801 on July 26, 2012, 21:00:03 PM
Currently on 5165 (with 177 on the rear), about 8min before departure (2058) (when I boarded the train) there was 76 people on board, with more coming up the ramps.
Sounds like a profitable service, rather than the loss leader that we expected!  Yes, I know that is just one service.

petey3801

Quote from: Simon on July 26, 2012, 22:39:07 PM
Quote from: petey3801 on July 26, 2012, 21:00:03 PM
Sounds like a profitable service, rather than the loss leader that we expected!  Yes, I know that is just one service.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at how many people were on the service. I didn't see how many got on at International though. My flight was jam packed from Sydney (1830 departure on JQ818, no spare seats).

WTN

Quote from: rtt_rules on July 29, 2012, 21:11:21 PM
On Wed as my mother in law drove us from Clayfield where we (family) dropped off the loaner car we had then to airport along the new road that parrellels the Airport line next to Toombul shopping centre (her first trip on this road). I made comment that when the Airtrain was built it had a 8pm (open to correction) curfew because of the people living in this area worried about 2 return trains per hour. Now there is a 6 lane road almost next to the line with traffic coming from the M7 tunnel, yes its not elevated but I wonder if they can even hear the train now?

East-West Arterial Rd has always been there, only that it was 4 lanes and no tunnel connection. So road traffic noise wasn't a problem, yet train noise was a worry?
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

HappyTrainGuy

Don't know if that's true or not regarding noise restrictions but when EMUs are elevated they are very loud. Enough to the effect that they can be heard over 1.5km away. Given that this was also when the loud blowers on the SMU200s (they are quieter now compared to back then) made the journey to the airport before the much quieter SMU260/IMU160s that now make up the majority of the trip it might have been a posibility. Presently late at night EMUs can be heard approaching Petrie station from the north while waiting for it at Lawnton station. EMU's can be heard at Aspley when they go through Geebung-Carseldine. EMUs can be heard at Bracken Ridge as they go through the small kink between Carseldine-Bald Hills.

ozbob

Noise associated with the airport line has always been a myth.

colinw

A myth maybe, but I'm sure the noise curfew was reported as "fact" by the Courier-Mail back when Airtrain first opened.  Of course it could have been a convenient excuse for not running loss leading night services.

I seem to remember some of the early CM reports about Airtrain were scathing about the limited operating hours, and the noise excuse was trotted out then.

The noise story never made sense 'though, as any houses impacted by Airtrain also have to put up with the East/West arterial and can probably hear the NCL as well.

ozbob

The Chairman of the Airtrain board said on 612 ABC on morning that the noise thing was a myth I recall.

It is on here somewhere, see if I can find it.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on July 30, 2012, 18:31:02 PM
The Chairman of the Airtrain board said on 612 ABC on morning that the noise thing was a myth I recall.

It is on here somewhere, see if I can find it.
My memory is that he said he negotiated it away a couple of years ago, or something to that effect.

ozbob

Found it.  There was a curfew after 9pm,   but changed 2007.  The basis was mythical, noise was never really an issue, part of an early hysterical beat up.

Listen --> http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2010/10/airtrain-answers-its-critics.html?site=brisbane&program=612_breakfast

ozbob

The fallacious noise issue is another good example of the ' Queenslander! ' principle in action ...  :P

ozbob

colinw

Quote from: ozbob on July 30, 2012, 18:37:21 PM
Found it.  There was a curfew after 9pm,   but changed 2007.  The basis was mythical, noise was never really an issue, part of an early hysterical beat up.

Listen --> http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2010/10/airtrain-answers-its-critics.html?site=brisbane&program=612_breakfast

Yeah, that's it, 9PM curfew. That was imposed right back when the original BOOT agreement with AirTrain CityLink Pty Ltd was signed by the Borbidge Government in about 1998.  Didn't make sense then, never made sense.

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on July 30, 2012, 21:41:19 PM
Quote from: ozbob on July 30, 2012, 18:47:02 PM
The fallacious noise issue is another good example of the ' Queenslander! ' principle in action ...  :P

Even with the "curfew", didn't they still stop running short by about 1hr anyway?
Almost, if measured when the last train reached Eagle Junction inbound.

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on July 31, 2012, 16:39:50 PM
Hard to complain about a Curfew if you stop 1hr before then isn't it.
Yes.  You've made the point.

#Metro

Would be good to have extra services over peak periods. Annoying how you just miss it and then there's 30 minute wait.

20 minute frequency would be possible IMHO and would probably do the job. Slot the extra in as a Roma Street starter or tack it on to the end of a Bowen Hills terminator.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

🡱 🡳