• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Airtrain

Started by #Metro, August 05, 2008, 00:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Some photographs from Airtrain announcement

Photographs R Dow 6th October 2011
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

I'll be very very surprised if this results in improved service on the Gold Coast line.  That would require the stabling upgrade to be finished, additional evening northbound services (or empties) or faster trips allowing faster turnarounds.  See this thread for what I am referring to with the latter: http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=6740.0

dwb

Quote from: Simon on October 06, 2011, 18:45:50 PM
I'll be very very surprised if this results in improved service on the Gold Coast line.  That would require the stabling upgrade to be finished, additional evening northbound services (or empties) or faster trips allowing faster turnarounds.  See this thread for what I am referring to with the latter: http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=6740.0

Interesting point Simon however I'm sure a large number of customers aren't travelling right through to the Gold Coast, so this is a pretty substantial step in the right direction. Now if we could get the timing gap down from 30mins that would be great.

Also, I wonder what they plan in the future with Gold Coast services when the Airport line is tied to Ipswich Line not Gold Coast line... or did I not read that in the CRR EIS??

somebody

Quote from: dwb on October 09, 2011, 18:53:14 PM
this is a pretty substantial step in the right direction. Now if we could get the timing gap down from 30mins that would be great.
Of course.

Not sure what is to happen in the future, but for the next 7 years or so it seems that Airport and Gold Coast will remain paired.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on October 09, 2011, 19:02:53 PM
this is a pretty substantial step in the right direction. Now if we could get the timing gap down from 30mins that would be great.
Of course.

Not sure what is to happen in the future, but for the next 7 years or so it seems that Airport and Gold Coast will remain paired.

Yes of course... I sort of meant contractually? Is there anything in the agreement that will cause issues later on? Not that we'd find out...

somebody

I've wondered that too.

Arnz

Also, I wonder what they plan in the future with Gold Coast services when the Airport line is tied to Ipswich Line not Gold Coast line... or did I not read that in the CRR EIS??

I find this highly unlikely.  As per previous reports said, Ipswich will remain paired with Caboolture for sectorisation reasons. 

p.s I do recall the Gold Coast line being paired with Sunshine Coast (The CAMCOS corridor, not the NCL) if the Trouts Road corridor does happen to proceed.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

somebody

Did you not see in the CRR plans that CRR will connect to the "mains".  Seems logical that what is now the "mains" at Bowen Hills will then connect to what is now the suburbans at Albion if that plan is proceeded with.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on October 09, 2011, 19:36:41 PM
Did you not see in the CRR plans that CRR will connect to the "mains".  Seems logical that what is now the "mains" at Bowen Hills will then connect to what is now the suburbans at Albion if that plan is proceeded with.

That was always my understanding.  Trains from 5/6 at Central (3/4 at Bowen Hills) would go through 1/2 at Albion, and would be joined by Doomben trains, with everything else either going along the Ferny Grove flyover or joining up to the mains from CRR.  CRR will have a flyover taking it around and over the other track pairs.
Ride the G:

somebody

The whole Doomben bit was a bit daft though.  Why not have the Doomben trains run through Central 5/6?  I was assuming they would realise the folly of these ways before they actually implemented it, with a conflicting move.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on October 10, 2011, 16:19:44 PM
The whole Doomben bit was a bit daft though.  Why not have the Doomben trains run through Central 5/6?  I was assuming they would realise the folly of these ways before they actually implemented it, with a conflicting move.
Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. I think it was because they didn't see the point of giving the FG line the suburbans all to itself (particularly with the arrangements at Central), but yes I can see a number of issues, not least being having the slots in the FG timetable line up with other slots in the Shorncliffe/Doomben/Airport line timetables.

Though, don't the Mains through the CBD have a capacity of 18/19tph while the suburbans can manage 24/25tph? perhaps thats the reason for making Doomben merge?
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on October 10, 2011, 23:16:52 PM
Though, don't the Mains through the CBD have a capacity of 18/19tph while the suburbans can manage 24/25tph? perhaps thats the reason for making Doomben merge?
If that's the reason it's a very poor trade.

Set in train

I have a plane to catch one Monday morning at 6am. I need to check-in 30 mins prior. The first train arrives 3 mins to check in. That's not enough time. Also, flights begin 5am from what I can see.

somebody

Quote from: Set in train on October 26, 2011, 13:58:25 PM
I have a plane to catch one Monday morning at 6am. I need to check-in 30 mins prior. The first train arrives 3 mins to check in. That's not enough time. Also, flights begin 5am from what I can see.
Domestic flights begin 6am Sydney time.  Daylight savings causes that one.

While the first train arrives at 5:27am, you cannot connect on to it, so any earlier services would mainly be useful to city-valley dwellers.

I'm very happy that later services are being added rather than earlier services.

Cam

Quote from: Simon on October 26, 2011, 14:08:06 PM
Domestic flights begin 6am Sydney time.  Daylight savings causes that one.

I'll correct Simon's statement to "SE Qld not having daylight saving time causes that one." We'll blame the premier & "Can Do" for that problem - even though they both personally support it & know it will significantly benefit SE Qld in many ways. The governments own research even shows that the vast majority of the voters in their electorates also support it.

We had a great long weekend away in northern NSW & my son slept in to about 7am both days! Now that we are back, the birds are waking him between 5 & 6am. The block out curtains in his room may block out almost all light in the morning but it's a shame that they don't black out more of the bird noise. I'm dreading the 4am wake ups in late December when the sun rises at 4.40am.

OK, my (common sense) DS rants are over for the day.

Gazza

Problem is, no other PT runs at that time anyway. Even the first Airtrain service has no connecting trains...I had to be driven to 'Romastraße' to use it once.

skippy

Quote from: ozbob on October 06, 2011, 13:55:24 PM
Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
06/10/2011

Late night Airtrain services announced

Thursday, October 6, 2011

People will be getting more evening trains to and from the Airport from Monday 12 December, in time for the Christmas holidays.

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said a new agreement with Airtrain meant services would run until 10pm instead of 8pm...

For more information visit www.airtrain.com.au or www.translink.com.au

Why publicise visiting translink.com.au when the journey planner for 12 December still shows no services departing the airport after 8pm. Translink should be encouraging the use of public transport, especially for the up coming school holiday period when many visitors are making travel plans.

david

New services are supposed to start tomorrow, yet no sign of the new timetable?

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/services-and-timetables/trains/airport-line

Where is it ???

ozbob

Airtrain Media Release

9 December 2011

Late night Airtrain services commence on 12 December

Tourists and travellers alike will be getting more evening trains to and from the Airport from Monday 12 December, just in time for the Christmas holidays.
Chairman of Airtrain, Mike Pelly is pleased to announce that services will run until10pm instead of stopping at 8pm.

"People have been asking about whether we could get the trains to run beyond 8pm and I'm here to say that we can," Mr Pelly said.

"This is great news for people wanting to use the Airtrain to and from the Airport.

"Trains will run every half hour from 8pm to 10pm, extending current services by two hours, giving people another eight services a day.

"With more people flying in and out of our great city than ever before, and using our domestic and international airports, our Airtrain services are growing to meet the demand.

"Airtrain is a private company which sets their own fares and service levels, and I'm pleased that we are able to deliver a range of better outcomes for people, starting with the extended services.

"This is a great Christmas gift for the residents, tourists and the business community who use Airtrain to travel to and from Brisbane Airport," Mr Pelly said.

"The increased services will result in Airtrain meeting up to 95 per cent of flights to and from the Brisbane Airport and reflects our policy of continually reviewing service requirements.

"The Airtrain is a great way to get to the airport, for $15 you can sit back and relax on an easy 25 minute trip between Brisbane City and the Airport," Mr Pelly said.

Airtrain operations started in May 2001 with a license from Queensland Transport that allowed Airtrain to build, own and operate and transfer (BOOT scheme) the Brisbane Airport rail link for 35 years.

For more information visit www.airtrain.com.au

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323057640

New late night Airtrain services

From Monday 12 December, travelling to and from the Airport will be easier with the introduction of late night Airtrain services, running every 30 minutes until 10pm.

The last service from Varsity Lakes (7.48pm) and the City (Central station at 9.11pm) will arrive at the International Airport station at 9.30pm and the Domestic Airport station at 9.34pm.

The last service to Varsity Lakes and the City will depart from the Domestic Airport at 9.59pm and the International Airport at 10.02pm.

The new timetable will be available soon.

For more information please visit the Airtrain website.

ozbob

Media release 11 December 2011

SEQ: Extended hours on train means you can catch that plane!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers enthusiastically welcomes extended Airtrain operating hours which begin tomorrow!

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"There has been plenty of controversy in the media over the years about Airtrain service operating hours and the billions mis-spent on unsustainable high-pollution and high-cost road upgrades and other car-centric infrastructure in and around Brisbane Airport."

"RAIL Back On Track therefore is glad that tomorrow, Airtrain operating hours will be expanded until 10 pm daily. We, on behalf of Brisbane commuters applaud Airtrain for this service improvement. In conjunction with complementary improvements to the high frequency BUZ network earlier this year, much of Brisbane can now get a train from the Brisbane Airport and get home on public transport, even during the late hours of the night."

"The last rail service to Varsity Lakes and the City will depart from the Domestic Airport at 9.59 pm and the International Airport at 10.02pm. With extended hours, people can catch a late night train and make the plane!"

References:

1. http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323057640

2. http://www.airtrain.com.au/pressreleases.php

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Set in train

Quote from: david on December 11, 2011, 14:05:07 PM
New services are supposed to start tomorrow, yet no sign of the new timetable?

Still not there.

ozbob

Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow
@TransLinkSEQ New Airtrain timetables?? --> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323057640 services extend today ... @QueenslandRail

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on December 12, 2011, 07:33:01 AM
Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow
@TransLinkSEQ New Airtrain timetables?? --> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323057640 services extend today ... @QueenslandRail

Updated timetables are needed for Doomben, Ipswich & Sunshine Coast lines also due to the minor changes made over the last few weeks.

Golliwog

Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow

There is an updated timetable available on the Airtrain website: http://www.airtrain.com.au/timetable.php
It however isn't the Translink/QR .pdf file.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Quote from: Golliwog on December 12, 2011, 09:38:00 AM
Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow

There is an updated timetable available on the Airtrain website: http://www.airtrain.com.au/timetable.php

Yes, I checked the Airtrain site yesterday still the old one, has been updated overnight.  TL should have theirs up as well ..

Golliwog

Quote from: ozbob on December 12, 2011, 09:48:58 AM
Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow

Yes, I checked the Airtrain site yesterday still the old one, has been updated overnight.  TL should have theirs up as well ..
So much for the Translink website being the "one stop shop" for PT in SEQ.

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Moving with the times: Airtrain extends services into the night

QuoteMoving with the times: Airtrain extends services into the night
Bridie Jabour
December 12, 2011 - 8:24AM

The Brisbane Airtrain will run for an extra two hours from today in a move labelled an "early Christmas present" for commuters.

Much to the chagrin of commuters the Airtrain previously ran until 8pm but the service has been extended until 10pm.

Airtrain chairman Mike Pelly said the company has listened to the needs of commuters and the Airtrain would now meet more than 95 per cent of flights in to Brisbane.

"With more people flying in and out of our great city than ever before, and using our domestic and international airports, our Airtrain services are growing to meet the demand," he said.

"Airtrain is a private company which sets their own fares and service levels, and I'm pleased that we are able to deliver a range of better outcomes for people, starting with the extended services.

"This is a great Christmas gift for the residents, tourists and the business community who use Airtrain to travel to and from Brisbane Airport."

The Airtrain will run ever half an hour from 5.42am until 10pm from Monday.

Mr Pelly first flagged the changes in September before making the official announcement in October with Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/moving-with-the-times-airtrain-extends-services-into-the-night-20111209-1omei.html#ixzz1gH2mRezE

ozbob

Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
12/12/2011

Planes, trains and go card facilities @ Brisbane airports

New Airtrain and go card services will greet visitors to Brisbane's international and domestic airports from today.

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said new equipment offering commuters a full range of go card services had been installed at the domestic and international terminals and Airtrain stations.

"This means visitors to Brisbane can easily buy, top up, renew or get a refund-all before leaving the airport." Ms Palaszczuk said.

"The eight new go card machines, situated at both airports, are all staff-operated so there is someone on hand to complete the transaction for you."

Ms Palaszczuk said full go card services at Airtrain stations were in place ahead of extended Airtrain services starting today.

She said Airtrain would run to 10pm each night and meet 95 per cent of flights into Brisbane airports.

"Having go card facilities at both the domestic and international terminals, combined with the new extended hours of Airtrain, provides tourists and locals with greater convenience when taking public transport to and from the airport," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"We are continuing to expand the go card retail network, which has more than doubled in two years, with go card facilities now available in more than 570 locations throughout South East Queensland."

Ms Palaszczuk said additional features were also available for customers who registered their go card online.

"Registered go card users can check their card balance and transaction history, top up their card online or over the phone, transfer their balance from lost, stolen or faulty cards and register for auto top up," Ms Palaszczuk said.

The new go card equipment is located at the ticket windows at both the domestic and international Airtrain stations, as well as in handy locations inside terminals.

In the domestic terminal, go card transactions can be completed at both of the Airtrain information and ticket counters which are adjacent to the Qantas or Virgin baggage claim areas respectively. In the international terminal, transactions can be completed at the information desk on the arrivals level.

Customers can find more information about the go card and search for retailers nearest to them on the TransLink website: www.translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/go-card/locations or phone the call centre on 13 12 30.

ozbob

Quote from: Golliwog on December 12, 2011, 09:53:16 AM
Quote from: ozbob on December 12, 2011, 09:48:58 AM
Twitter

Robert_Dow Robert Dow

Yes, I checked the Airtrain site yesterday still the old one, has been updated overnight.  TL should have theirs up as well ..
So much for the Translink website being the "one stop shop" for PT in SEQ.

It is a tad embarrassing I would have thought, still no sign at TransLink of the new timetable.

Set in train

A most interesting timetable, trip duration is longer than on the QR timetable.

Golliwog

The new go card facilities at the Airport is a real plus for tourists and visitors. :-t

somebody

Quote from: Set in train on December 12, 2011, 16:58:41 PM

A most interesting timetable, trip duration is longer than on the QR timetable.
I think the problem is sometimes the "Central arrive" time is used, but usually the "Central depart".

Jonno

My Airtrain iPhone app updated this morning!

SurfRail

Slightly disappointing that although the half-hourly frequency is maintained later into the evening, there are no additional Gold Coast services.  Some Bowen Hills originators have just been converted into Airport originators, and extra Roma Street terminators have been slotted in. 

I am aware of the constraints though, and I expect the new timetable will at least preserve the option for more runs when trains and stabling space are available.
Ride the G:

Set in train

Quote from: SurfRail on December 12, 2011, 21:25:37 PM
Slightly disappointing that although the half-hourly frequency is maintained later into the evening, there are no additional Gold Coast services.  Some Bowen Hills originators have just been converted into Airport originators, and extra Roma Street terminators have been slotted in. 

I am aware of the constraints though, and I expect the new timetable will at least preserve the option for more runs when trains and stabling space are available.

Here, here; second that. Thirds anyone?

ozbob

Quote from: Golliwog on December 12, 2011, 17:40:24 PM
The new go card facilities at the Airport is a real plus for tourists and visitors. :-t

I will be at BNE International tomorrow evening, see what the deal is then ...

HappyTrainGuy

People from other lines do use the airport service and not just the Gold Coast line.

colinw

From what I have seen when using Airtrain, at least half the passengers using it are to/from Central, and quite a few from Roma St. Many would be transfers from other lines, or from the busway at Roma St.  It is also not uncommon to see people with baggage at the busway stations, and I assume they are changing to airtrain, or long distance rail, or long distance buses at Roma St.

Would I be correct in assuming that not all the new evening Airtrain services run through to Gold Coast due to the stabling limitation at Robina? (Gold Coast service is hourly at that time of night -  :( )

🡱 🡳