• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Queensland State Politics

Started by ozbob, March 09, 2016, 08:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathandavid88

Quote from: Arnz on December 12, 2023, 09:41:34 AM
Quote from: Stillwater on December 12, 2023, 08:52:14 AMNormally in circumstances such as this there is a reshuffle of portfolios to present a fresh face of government ... and the general practice is to reward those who's support you received with plum jobs. Reportedly, Blowout Bailey backed the wrong horse. His preferred Premier was Shannon Fentiman. Will Premier Miles keep him in the transport portfolio? We should know by the end of the week.

Can't say many would miss him if he's out of the Transport Minister's job by the end of the week by the incoming Premier's imminent cabinet reshuffle.

However, will he 'challenge' for the leadership should Labor lose government? and therefore become 'Opposition Leader Mark Bailey'
(probably the likely scenario is a LNP/Right Wing Independent minority government in that case - can't see LNP winning outright)

If Labor are turfed at the next election, I think it would be more likely that Shannon Fentiman comes in as Opposition Leader than Mark Bailey.

Stillwater

The Courier-Mail reports that Dr Miles supports the establishment of an independent Olympic Games delivery authority. Now, if only he also supported a SEQ Transit Authority.  :fx

Arnz

Mainstream Media reporting that Bailey is all but gone from the Ministry and set to be demoted to the backbench in the reshuffle.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

verbatim9

Minister Bailey didn't look too happy on 7 News this arvo.

In addition the 7 News poll was spot on regarding the prefered Premier and Deputy as per the outcome.

^^Interesting

verbatim9

I still reckon Nick de Brenni will be likely become Transport Minister in the reshuffle.

#Metro

"The government I lead will be absolutely focused on the task of helping Queenslanders. And that's why we are announcing today that we will freeze rego, freeze car rego for the next year."

::)

Free Beer anyone? 🍻

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Stillwater

Then put it up far more after October 2024 election -- recoup the 'discount'.

ozbob

Quote from: timh on December 12, 2023, 06:48:22 AMBetter the devil you know, in my opinion. Is there any other Labor MP we'd actually think would do a good job?

This is a good point Tim. I think in view of the election October 2024 timeline, having a new Minister get across all the transport issues and get set for the elections may actually back-fire. I would take away the digital services stuff and just leave Minister Bailey with transport and with the overriding message - sort it now!
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qld-politics/public-servants-mps-powerbrokers-the-winners-and-losers-in-miles-rise/news-story/89e14771f49cfde25391e919cf20515d

Quote... Mark Bailey

A hard-working minister over almost nine years, Mr Bailey was untouchable during Annastacia Palaszczuk's reign despite frequently creating damaging headlines for the government. The use of a private Mangocube email address for government communications which prompted a Crime and Corruption Commission investigation, union influence and repetitive cost blowouts and a cover-up will come back to bite Mr Bailey. When Steven Miles was asked on Tuesday whether he had confidence in Mr Bailey, he simply wouldn't answer. The reason is; he'll be the first to be kicked out of cabinet. ...

Jonno

Quote from: ozbob on December 13, 2023, 07:35:42 AMhttps://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qld-politics/public-servants-mps-powerbrokers-the-winners-and-losers-in-miles-rise/news-story/89e14771f49cfde25391e919cf20515d

Quote... Mark Bailey

A hard-working minister over almost nine years, Mr Bailey was untouchable during Annastacia Palaszczuk's reign despite frequently creating damaging headlines for the government. The use of a private Mangocube email address for government communications which prompted a Crime and Corruption Commission investigation, union influence and repetitive cost blowouts and a cover-up will come back to bite Mr Bailey. When Steven Miles was asked on Tuesday whether he had confidence in Mr Bailey, he simply wouldn't answer. The reason is; he'll be the first to be kicked out of cabinet. ...

Unfortunately, he won't be removed because he has focused almost entirely on road expansion. Whole party needs to chnnage its transport beliefs to be based on fact.

#Metro

It would be strange and risky to just put a new face on an old cabinet. Changes need to go much deeper to be convincing.

Major reset is in order IMHO.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

Fares have been frozen for PT as well... they've done this before prior elections only to then jack them up quite a bit after.

Usual playbook and old thinking. They need to create value, not just discount.

ozbob

Arnz

Quote from: Jonno on December 13, 2023, 08:09:18 AM
Quote from: ozbob on December 13, 2023, 07:35:42 AMhttps://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qld-politics/public-servants-mps-powerbrokers-the-winners-and-losers-in-miles-rise/news-story/89e14771f49cfde25391e919cf20515d

Quote... Mark Bailey

Unfortunately, he won't be removed because he has focused almost entirely on road expansion. Whole party needs to chnnage its transport beliefs to be based on fact.

Bailey and Miles iirc are on opposing factions, not to mention Bailey is reportedly disliked internally by the opposing factions, so high chance that he'd be at least out of the Transport Minister role by Friday.  Whether if he's moved elsewhere or demoted to the backbench is yet to be seen.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

nathandavid88

BREAKING NEWS: Mark Bailey has quit cabinet!

QuoteTransport Minister Mark Bailey quits cabinet
Transport Minister Mark Bailey will not feature in incoming Premier Steven Miles' cabinet, confirming in a statement he would "step aside" for new blood.

Transport Minister Mark Bailey will not feature in incoming Premier Steven Miles' cabinet, confirming in a statement he would "step aside" for new blood.

After days of speculation Mr Bailey would most likely be dislodged from the frontbench he decided to jump before he was pushed.

"It is has been the honour and privilege of my life to serve for nearly nine years as a Palaszczuk Labor Government Minister including six years as the longest serving Transport Minister since the 1980s," Mr Bailey said.

"With a new Premier looking to renew the ministry, it is time for me to step aside from Cabinet and support the promotion of one of our many talented younger Labor MP's.

"I thank Annastacia Palaszczuk and all my caucus colleagues for their tremendous support since 2015 and I look forward to having more time to work hard for my Miller constituents as their local MP."

Mr Bailey said Mr Miles would have his "100 per cent support".

Full article: https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...t/news-story/52d61d15098cc178cfdbd167798c2a2a

#Metro

Probably just tapped on the shoulder or fired but staged and framed as a voluntary resignation...

nathandavid88

^^ Or he jumped before he could be pushed.

AJ Transport

Miles will need to make a lot of changes if he is going to successfully turn the ship around and you can only bring new faces in by getting rid of old ones.

Bailey seemed the easiest one to demote but I'm not sure who the other targets will be.

I also think they need to get female members of cabinet back up towards 50% if they want to maintain the fresh modern image they need.

Arnz

Quote from: #Metro on December 13, 2023, 17:19:46 PMProbably just tapped on the shoulder or fired but staged and framed as a voluntary resignation...
Quote from: nathandavid88 on December 13, 2023, 17:26:30 PM^^ Or he jumped before he could be pushed.

On his FB/X he's states he'll be recontesting his seat, so I wouldn't be surprised if he contests for (at least) Deputy Opposition leader if Labor gets turfed next year and most of his internal factional rival/enemies loses their seats.
Rgds,
Arnz

ozbob

ozbob

Possible new Minister for Transport.

Mrs Charis Mullen

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Members/Current-Members/Member-List/Member-Details?id=634358222

" Career

Prior to entering Parliament, Ms Mullen spent 20 years in the public and private sector providing strategic advice and support in government affairs, public policy and advocacy, stakeholder engagement and communication strategy. She has worked across a number of industries including planning & development, transport, infrastructure, mining, tourism and telecommunications. Ms Mullen has previously held positions on a number of Boards including government and superannuation. "

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

In Queensland --> How Bailey the Builder suddenly decided it was time for some new blood

QuoteA new-look Queensland cabinet will not feature Mark Bailey after the long serving transport minister announced he would step aside for new blood. ...

#Metro

Steven Miles moves into Premier's Office...

ozbob

Couriermail --> Steven Miles plans leaders' forum to chart course for Qld $

QuoteA landmark Queensland Leaders' Forum to chart the state's future will be established by incoming Premier Steven Miles.

Mr Miles will become Queensland's 40th premier when he is sworn in by �Governor Jeannette Young on Friday.

He will then outline his vision for the state to an audience of Labor faithful, business and community leaders on Friday afternoon.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Mr Miles will invite a cross-section of Queenslanders to meet and develop plans for the state.

"I will create a new Queensland Leaders' Forum to bring together business, industry, community and unions in the one room to discuss Queenslands future," he said.

"That's what we did during Covid-19. It worked well. I'd like to bring it back." ...

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Couriermail --> Steven Miles to separate premier role from Olympics portfolio $

QuoteThe Premier will no longer also shoulder responsibility for the Olympic and Paralympic Games portfolio under the imminent Miles government.

Incoming Premier Steven Miles is set to shed the Olympic and Paralympic portfolio, in a sign the state's highest office will seek to distance itself from the controversy tied to the big spending event.

It's understood Games stakeholders are hoping for a single minister in charge of the Olympics and Paralympics, for less complexity than dealing with four ministers. ...

AnonymouslyBad

Quote from: AJ Transport on December 13, 2023, 18:12:23 PMMiles will need to make a lot of changes if he is going to successfully turn the ship around and you can only bring new faces in by getting rid of old ones.

Bailey seemed the easiest one to demote but I'm not sure who the other targets will be.

I also think they need to get female members of cabinet back up towards 50% if they want to maintain the fresh modern image they need.

Agree.

They must have confidence that Miles is a good leader and will make good choices in regards to who's on the ministry and high level policy etc. He's certainly not very likable in his own right.

As for transport, let's be real, probably not much will change.

verbatim9

Quote from: AnonymouslyBad on December 15, 2023, 08:19:49 AM
Quote from: AJ Transport on December 13, 2023, 18:12:23 PMMiles will need to make a lot of changes if he is going to successfully turn the ship around and you can only bring new faces in by getting rid of old ones.

Agree.

As for transport, let's be real, probably not much will change.
Exactly where is the money going to come from anyway as well as the labour for any new transport infrastructure projects. Despite this, just hope they start construction on the Beerburrum to Beerwah section of the Sunshine Coast line early next year. Plus replacing all those aging diesel buses out and about. (Not talking about the euro 6"s)

Gazza

QuoteExactly where is the money going to come from anyway as well as the labour for any new transport infrastructure projects.
Qld has a $12b Surplus.

As for labour, workers are going to be coming off CRR, which you'll want to put on DSCRL and LGCFR.

Presumably workers on GCLR3 can go to GCLR4, and then hopefully the Sunshine Coast Light Rail.

Workers on Bruce Highway Caboolture to Caloundra will shift to the bit from Pine Rivers to Northlakes.

And those on the M1 Springwood and M1 Ellanora will be going onto M1 Springwood to Loganholme / Coomera Connector.

Is that everything?

#Metro

Quote from: Verbatim9Exactly where is the money going to come from anyway as well as the labour for any new transport infrastructure projects

Good question Verbatim9.

It's a question of both appetite and capacity. In an environment where projects are returning double or triple cost blowouts, there will be little appetite to engage in more.

Bidders will likely jack their prices up accordingly. Queensland's finances are a lot better than other states like Victoria, and ministers will absolutely want to keep it that way.

Annual surpluses or deficits are about whether the books balanced or not for the financial year.

This is less interesting than the overall picture of net debt, which is about what is carrying over from prior years as well.

Net debt is forecast to be minus $16.2b for 2023-4 which is far better than Victoria at negative $135.5b for the same period.

Overall, the expectation will be that the RBA will continue to increase interest rates. The effect of this will be to make more projects less viable and the interest bill for money borrowed higher.

Both our and the government's approach will need to adapt. Likely Sunshine coast line will be 'minimum viable product' with 1-2 stations at first.

Expect to see a lot more BRT and bus reform IMO, and a lot less Priority A busway and rail.

Queensland State Budget 2023-2024 Overview

https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com/news-and-analysis/news/queensland-budget-2023-24-overview#

Jonno

Funding is not the issue Prioritisation is! Stop spending limited $ creating more congestion!!

ozbob

ABC News --> Steven Miles elected unopposed by Labor MPs as Queensland's new premier with Cameron Dick the deputy premier

QuoteLabor MPs have unanimously elected Steven Miles as Queensland's 40th premier, less than a week after Annastacia Palaszczuk announced she was retiring after almost nine years in the top job.

Mr Miles was elected unopposed by the Labor caucus in Brisbane this morning, with Treasurer Cameron Dick becoming the new deputy premier.

Speaking outside the caucus meeting, Mr Miles said there would be five new ministers in his government.

"They are younger, they are energetic, they are ready to deliver a fresh approach for Queenslanders," he said. ...

QuoteQueensland cabinet expanded

The Queensland cabinet will now be expanded from 18 ministers to 19, with Labor's right faction rewarded with an extra spot on the frontbench.

Mr Dick leads the right faction, which played a pivotal role in installing Mr Miles to the top job over Health Minister Shannon Fentiman.

Departing cabinet are Annastacia Palaszczuk and Stirling Hinchliffe from the right, as well as Craig Crawford and Mark Bailey from the left.

Pine Rivers MP Nikki Boyd and Bundamba MP Lance McCallum from the left are entering the frontbench.

Entering Cabinet from the right faction are Jordan MP Charis Mullen, Aspley MP Bart Mellish, and Cairns MP Michael Healy.

It means in there will be nine left faction ministers, seven ministers from the right, and three ministers from the so-called old guard, led by Education Minister Grace Grace.

====

We still do not know the portfolio allocation and probably won't till the Government publishes the official listing.

ABC has suggested the portfolios will be known on Monday (18th Dec). Discussions will continue over the weekend.  Not finalised yet.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

The environment was the number one hot button issue in the new premier's address | 7 News Australia

Transport?  Linked inextricably to emission reductions and that means better public transport, all modes!

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Miles appoints young minister to housing super-portfolio $

QuoteNew Queensland Premier Steven Miles has handed two of his old portfolios to Housing Minister Meaghan Scanlon, in a move he says will streamline the delivery of new stock to the market.

Scanlon will this week be sworn is as minister in the portfolios of local government and planning, which Miles – until Friday morning the holder of those titles – said would be one of the most senior roles in his cabinet. ...

🡱 🡳