Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: List of Public Transport Mobile Apps  (Read 1966 times)

Offline bcasey

List of Public Transport Mobile Apps
« on: May 08, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
This thread is dedicated to listing the mobile apps that are available to provide public transport information and features, such as route timetables, stop timetables and journey planning. They will use the following format:

App Name:
Supported Platforms:
Download Link:
Cost:
Features:
Uses Real-time Information: Yes/No
Cities/Towns supported:

If you know of an app that is not in this list, please post about it in this thread, and I will add it to the list.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:47:13 AM by bcasey »

Offline bcasey

Re: List of Public Transport Mobile Apps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
App Name: City Transit
Supported Platforms: Windows Phone
Download Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-au/store/app/city-transit/782f9f3b-222d-414d-9514-0f7f5c6f292a
Cost: $1.19 (Limited Free Version available)
Features:
  • Live Tiles: Pin your favourite route(s) to your home screen to find out when your next bus, ferry, train or tram is due. (Paid Version)
  • Offline Access: Download the timetable(s) you want and update them when you choose.
  • Multiple Location Support: Access trip data for any city of your choice.
  • Favourite Routes: Save your favourite route(s) and pin them to your home screen. (Paid Version)
  • Live Twitter Feed: Keep up to date about public transport news in your area
Uses Real-time Information: No (All timetables stored locally)
Cities/Towns supported: Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Canberra, Adelaide

App Name: Go Brisbane (Go "City" family of apps)
Supported Platforms: iPhone, iPad, Android
Download Link: https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/oak-systems-enterprise-pty/id337469733, https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=OAK+Systems+Enterprise
Cost: $3.29 - Note that this app is city-by-city, if you want to use it in another city, you have to purchase that city's version
Features:
  • Auto Route Calculation
  • Multi-segment Trips
  • Route editor lets you edit or extend a trip (e.g. change at a different station)
  • Full browsable timetable
  • Platform numbers
  • Favourites: Save your stops for quick access to departure information
  • Over the air updates: Get the most up to date timetables as they are generated
  • Location Search: Find your closest station or terminal, searching by name or GPS
  • Summary view allows you to scroll through all matching trips for the week, showing ETA and arrival/departure times
  • Reverse a trip options
  • Get directions to nearest stations using GPS
Uses Real-time Information: No (All timetables stored locally)
Cities/Towns supported: Brisbane, Perth, Canberra, Wellington, Adelaide, Auckland (Android), Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Cairns, Townsville, Auckland, Wellington, Vancouver, Toronto, Washington, Houston, Miami, Porto Alegre (iOS)

App Name: NextThere
Supported Platforms: iOS
Download Link: http://nextthere.com/
Cost: $1.29/month or $4.99/year (Limited Free Version available)
Features:
  • Apple Watch compatible
  • Add stops you use public transport from and you'll see the next services due to depart - no setting up trips required
  • Tap on a service to track your trip live
  • Alerts about distriptions and service changes automatically shown as relevant
  • All in a simple interface designed for iOS - swipe down to search, swipe horizontally to switch between stops, and hold then flick up to remove stops
  • Today screen widget to see nearby upcoming services
  • Receive push notifications about incidents and distruptions so you're always up to date (only available in Sydney)
  • Add as many stops as you like (non-subscribers are limited to three
  • See upcoming services further into the future
  • Track every vehicle on the map at once
Uses Real-time Information: Yes
Cities/Towns supported:
Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Hobart, Darwin, Alice Springs, Gold Coast, plus regional towns in Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia.
United States: San Francisco, Boston, Portland, Honolulu

App Name: TransitTimes+
Supported Platforms: iPhone, iPad, Android
Download Link: http://transittimesapp.com/
Cost: $2.99 (Limited Free Version available)
Features:
  • Journey Planner
  • View real-time vehicle positions & estimates in supported cities
  • View service alerts
  • Save favourite trips, stops and directions searches
  • View nearby stops
  • View trips on a map
  • Download timetables for offline viewing
  • Check the balance for travel card (Myki, Metrocard, Go Card, SmartRide, Green Card, Action Card)
  • View Wheelchair Accessibility at the stop or trip level (Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney)
Uses Real-time Information: Yes (Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, USA and Canada)
Cities/Towns supported: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Hobart, as well as many cities in USA, Canada and New Zealand

App Name: TripGo
Supported Platforms: iPhone, Android
Download Link: https://skedgo.com/tripgo
Cost: Free
Features:
  • Real-time information for public transport (live map): tap on stops and stations to see real-time schedules. click on a route to see positions of the vehicle, live on the map
  • Door-to-door options for easy comparison on price, time and environmental impact
  • Public transport schedules/timetabls
  • Reminders: add a reminder to your trip and the app will notify when to leave
  • Pricing for public transport, taxis, tolls and car parks
  • Sync & save trips to your calendar
  • Turn-by-turn navigation
Cities/Towns supported: Sydney, Melbourne, South East Queensland, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Auckland, Wellington, plus several cities in USA, Canada and Europe
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:23:20 AM by bcasey »

Offline bcasey

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
Reserved for additional info

Offline bcasey

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
I'm at work at the moment, so I don't really have time to add some initial apps to the list now, but I should be able to start compiling a list when I get home tonight. In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest some apps to go up on the list, please post below and I will add them asap.

Offline bcasey

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
I might add websites in a separate list on the third post that I reserved for additional info. Feel free to post the link and a description of the features. I might restrict it to just websites that provide similar features to the mobile apps, like route and stop timetables, journey planners, and ones that visualize real-time info.

At the moment for the apps list, I'm copying the features list from the app's store page, but once I've got a few apps up in the list, I might add a list of common features with yes/no, for easier comparison. I'm also open to suggestions on extra fields to add to each app's description.

Offline pangwen

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:48:22 AM »
Great work bcasey, I was going to put up a bit of a review of each of the above, but you've done a pretty good job there.

Just a note, the prices you've listed seem to be the Play Store prices. Unfortunately for us iOS users, the price is a bit higher for TransitTimes and Go Brisbane.

Some suggestions:
- Maybe note that the "Go" apps are city-by-city (i.e. you pay $3 and all you get is Go Brisbane, or Go Sydney etc.) whereas TransitTimes+ seems to give you access to all cities in the database for one payment
- Maybe add the MyTransLink app, given that it's the official TransLink one
- TransitTimes+ also supports Budapest in Hungary, apparently

Also, an app suggestion:

App Name: NextThere
Supported Platforms: iOS
Download Link:
Cost: $1.29/month or $4.99/year (Limited Free Version available)
Features:
• Apple Watch compatible
• Add stops you use public transport from and you'll see the next services due to depart - no setting up trips required
• Tap on a service to track your trip live
• Alerts about disruptions and service changes automatically shown as relevant
• All in a simple, gorgeous interface designed for iOS - swipe down to search, swipe horizontally to switch between stops, and hold then flick up to remove stops
• Today screen widget to see nearby upcoming services
• Receive push notifications about incidents and disruptions so you're always up to date (only available in Sydney)
• Add as many stops as you like (non-subscribers are limited to three)
• See upcoming services further into the future
• Track every vehicle on the map at once

Cities/Towns supported:
Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Hobart, Darwin, Alice Springs, Gold Coast, plus regional towns in Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia.
United States: San Francisco, Boston, Portland, Honolulu

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:58:19 AM by pangwen »

Offline pangwen

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
Also just found this list on the TransLink web site:

http://translink.com.au/about-translink/connect-with-translink

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:52:38 AM »
I have installed TransitTimes+ on my phone.  I think it is good value as it covers all states, and will be useful in Melbourne and Sydney when visiting.

Still evaluating but looks overall promising.  Been following the 524s around, lots of fun ... < got to get a life  :P

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:10:48 AM by ozbob »
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:22:11 AM »
I have installed TransitTimes+ on my phone.  I think it is good value as it covers all states, and will be useful in Melbourne and Sydney when visiting.

Still evaluating but looks overall promising.  Been following the 524s around, lots of fun ... < got to get a life  :P

Quentin (guy behind the app) is also pretty accessible.  He has already been in touch with me about an Android issue I raised where route number map markers only showed the first 2 digits and has now been fixed.

Offline bcasey

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
Sorry I haven't gotten around to updating the list yet with the new apps you guys have listed, I've been very busy the last couple of weeks. I'll try and find some time tonight to update it.

As I'm an Android user, and don't own an iPhone or Windows Phone, I may need people who own phones on those platforms to provide feedback on apps that are available on them. If the prices are different on those platforms, please specify it in your posts.

I'm also planning to add the transit agency specific apps that are available in each of the cities as well, maybe in a separate list.

Offline techblitz

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
https://citymapper.com/melbourne

https://citymapper.com/sydney

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »

Quentin (guy behind the app) is also pretty accessible.  He has already been in touch with me about an Android issue I raised where route number map markers only showed the first 2 digits and has now been fixed.

TransitTimes hasn't been updated for Queensland in yonks, basically unusable for anything affected by a timetable update after mid-2016 (ie new Sunshine Coast and Mackay routes are missing).  The problem with the operating model seems to be somebody has to manually update it so the app can download the relevant timetable data, rather than just being tied to a feed like Moovit.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan