• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

15 minutes beyond Manly to Cleveland with the single track sections?

Started by dancingmongoose, January 09, 2015, 23:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancingmongoose

Can the network support 15 minutes beyond Manly to Cleveland with the single track sections?

SurfRail

Quote from: dancingmongoose on January 09, 2015, 23:10:34 PM
Can the network support 15 minutes beyond Manly to Cleveland with the single track sections?

The current timetable has 15 minute headways in both directions between Park Road and Cleveland for a decent portion of the day - 6:00am-8:00am and 3:00pm to 7:30pm departing Park Road outbound, plus 5:09am to 8:39am and 4:09pm to 8:09pm departing Cleveland inbound.  The peakiest services are expresses but they are all running all-stations in the single-track section.

I understood the main constraints were rollingstock and freight paths (some freight traffic I understand uses the electric lines as a passing loop east of Cannon Hill).

I was on an interpeak Cannon Hill terminating train earlier this week and it was on its way back to town in around 1.5 to 2 minutes with a fresh crew.
Ride the G:

James

Current peak-hour timetable does it - there is a dwell at Wellington Point though for trains to cross (outbound train gets delayed).

I would be happy with 15 mins to Altandi and Manly. Wynnum/Manly area can then have a FUZ feeding into rail at Wynnum, Manly and Cannon Hill. Some Mains Rd rockets could then also be fed into the railway line, as well as some services terminated at Griffith Uni/Sunnybank Plaza.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

STB

Technically yes, as during peak hour the Manly to Cleveland section has a 15min frequency, however I know from previously working with QR in the Daily Train Planning section that they prefer keeping a free path during the off peak to allow departmental trains to use that section (driver/guard tuition trains, yard inspections and other non passenger train movements), and I am fairly confident that remains the case since I left QR several years ago.  Basically that spare path limits it to 2tph on the Manly to Cleveland section.

Even if you went for a 15 minute frequency full time, that kills off any redundency in the line as as soon as something goes wrong (eg: a broken down train), that pretty much shuts the full Manly to Cleveland section down due to the single line running safeworking rules.  It would certainly make a Train Planner nervous to have a single track like that operating at full capcity full time.

dancingmongoose

Quote from: James on January 10, 2015, 02:33:38 AM

Current peak-hour timetable does it - there is a dwell at Wellington Point though for trains to cross (outbound train gets delayed).

I thought that was only in peak direction, my brain must be fading in my old age

🡱 🡳