Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: MyTransLink app  (Read 3954 times)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
MyTransLink app
« on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
MyTransLink app

--> http://translink.com.au/about-translink/connect-with-translink/mytranslink

Introducing MyTransLink! Available free from the App Store and Google Play

MyTransLink puts bus, train, ferry and tram information in the palm of your hand with customisable features so you'll always get the updates that matter to you.

Easy to use features include:

My Stops – no need for a paper timetable anymore. Simply save your usual stops to My Stops for quick and easy access to service information and times.
    Alerts – just select your end stop, and you'll receive an alert around 400 metres before you get there.
    My Services – you'll know exactly when to go with the latest service or disruption information.

More >> http://translink.com.au/about-translink/connect-with-translink/mytranslink

MyTransLink app conditions of use

http://translink.com.au/about-translink/connect-with-translink/mytranslink/conditions-of-use
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: MyTransLink app
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
Acting Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Andrew Powell

Real-time technology for Sunshine Coast buses

Sunshine Coast passengers can track the next bus from the palm of their hand with the Newman LNP Government’s roll out of real-time info starting on the Sunshine Coast today.

Acting Transport and Main Roads Minister Andrew Powell said the new technology was one of the biggest changes to public transport technology since smart card ticketing in 2008.

Passengers can visit the TransLink website or the MyTransLink app to see when their bus is due to depart their stop,” Mr Powell said

“We’ve made public transport more frequent, reliable and affordable and now the Newman LNP Government is delivering 21st century travel on the Sunshine Coast.

“At the swipe of a touchscreen, passengers can now check if they’ve got time for another coffee before they head off to the bus stop.

“Our strong plan for public transport is making travel more convenient than ever before – ensuring Queenslanders can spend more time doing what they want, instead of waiting for the next bus.”

GPS technology shows up-to-the-minute departure times of exactly where the bus is, with information updated every 30 seconds or better.

Assistant Minister for Public Transport Steve Minnikin said real-time technology has the ability to transform the way people use public transport and is easy to access.

“To coincide with the launch of the new technology, TransLink developed a new app available to download free from the App Store and Google Play for iOS and Android users,” Mr Minnikin said.

“Real-time data is also available to third-party app developers as part of the Queensland Government’s Open Data initiative and I look forward to seeing what exciting and innovative apps might be developed as a result.”

Real time technology was delivered on the Sunshine Coast with the support of the local council.

Sunshine Coast Council Transport Portfolio Councillor Rick Baberowski said the new real-time system was a big change in the public transport service on the Sunshine Coast.

“We will wonder how we did without it. It’s the start of new era of seriously useful information that can make the difference between choosing to use a bus rather than your car,” he said.

Passengers travelling on Brisbane Transport buses and Brisbane City Council ferries will be the next to benefit from real-time information, with all other operators to follow by early-2015.

For more information about real-time or about the MyTransLink app, visit http://translink.com.au/ or call 13 12 30, anytime.

[ENDS] 22 December 2014
  Bob's Blog

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
  Bob's Blog

Offline dancingmongoose

• Advantages of the BaT over CRR: The puns
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
Pity no windows phone app

Offline dwb

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
The mobile website still does many of the same things... The bit that has been missing is the bus locations!

Online BrizCommuter

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
Pity no windows phone app
Well if people buy a phone with an OS that has a poor number of apps and low market coverage, then they have to expect that certain apps will not be available.

Offline dancingmongoose

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »
That's a rather obnoxious comment, less does not equal poor, and the only reason there is less is that it is newer than the others. Not providing one is just narrow minded

Offline pandmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
That's a rather obnoxious comment, less does not equal poor, and the only reason there is less is that it is newer than the others. Not providing one is just narrow minded

Perhaps it is uneconomical at this point due to the number of Windows Phone users in SEQ.

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:26:13 AM »
With all due respect DM, BrizCommuter is right. Apps would have been designed for OS's with maximum coverage. Windows phones are very uncommon - I only know one or two people who own them out of hundreds of phone users. Well behind iOS and Android.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

Online BrizCommuter

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 06:09:30 AM »
It's not obnoxious, it's a fact.

For a free app with no return on investment to TransLink, it is not cost effective to spend money on programming an app for an OS used by very few people.

Offline dancingmongoose

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:05 AM »
Its not cost effective to make a free app with no monetization period so what's your point? By that logic we should just leave out the Doomben line.

Offline Stillwater

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 07:53:52 AM »

SC Daily is asking why the SC Council paid $100,000 for the roll-out of the app first on the Sunshine Coast when it is being made available in other council areas free of charge in 3-4 weeks.  Story and video:

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/trial-of-bus-app-costs-ratepayers-100000/2493385/

Offline bcasey

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »

SC Daily is asking why the SC Council paid $100,000 for the roll-out of the app first on the Sunshine Coast when it is being made available in other council areas free of charge in 3-4 weeks.  Story and video:

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/trial-of-bus-app-costs-ratepayers-100000/2493385/

Was the $100,000 used for the real-time information, or for the development of the app? The sunshine coast buses had the real-time DCU's installed first and were the ones involved in the real-time feed beta test that was run earlier this month. From my understanding, this is what the $100,000 would have been used for, and I think it was money well spent.

The $2 million spent on this version of the real-time system is a bargain compared to what they probably would have paid to have the previous system, which was installed on the CityGlider and Logan buses, rolled out to all the buses on the network. In the current financial and political climate, it probably would never have happened, or at least taken a lot longer to be rolled out. While I still have reservations about how good the data will be from this new system, some real-time data is better than no real-time data.

If the $100,000 was solely for the development of the app, then I think Translink got ripped off. I've seen more fully-featured and better looking apps developed by students while I was working at QUT. In my opinion, Translink (and any transit agency for that matter) shouldn't be in the app development business, they should be more focused on making sure the data they provide is as accurate and timely as possible, and let 3rd party developers produce the apps that consume this data.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
It wouldn't be the app, it would be a contribution to the rollout of the new machines on buses and therefore preferential access to the data (ie before the other regions) for locals.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 03:55:28 AM »
Couriermail --> New MyTranslink app allows users to track public transport in real-time
  Bob's Blog

Online BrizCommuter

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
Not a bad app, and will be considerably better when real time info is available.
It will bump the mediocre Go Brisbane off my iPhone front screen.

Offline dwb

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 09:11:59 PM »
Go Brisbane? Lol! Try Next There, Triptastic or even vTranit

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
I thought I'd revive this thread.

The MyTransLink App is almost a year old.  (According to iTunes it was released 20 December 2014.  The original announcement was 22 December 2014.)

Since then there have been only two updates to the app:

3 March 2015:  Bug fixes
8 September 2015: Compatibility updates and bug fixes

It would appear that TransLink has the attitude that once the app was released, that would be it.  Job done... move on.  Perhaps they don't understand the very nature of a successful app.  A successful app is never "finished".

One year later and there haven't been any improvements.  We're still waiting for:
  • Journey Planner built-in to the app instead of a wrapper for the website
  • Saving journeys as well as stops and services.
  • Go Card account management
  • Native support for iPhone 6 resolution. (The iPhone 6 was release before the MyTransLink App!)
What other improvements would you like to see?
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »
  Bob's Blog

Offline hU0N

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
1. Choose whether to start on the "My Services" or "My Stops" page. I live in an area with more than one bus route within 1km walk. So I'm almost always more interested in what the next few buses (any route) through a particular stop are, than I am interested in when the next few services on a single particular route.

2. Sort the "My Stops" page based on location so that the stop I'm currently standing at is always near the top.

3. Add a "Near Me" page. Choose a direction (ib or ob) and this option displays the next five services departing from a stop within some fixed radius of my current position. Or some function like that.

Offline ezekial

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »

3. Add a "Near Me" page. Choose a direction (ib or ob) and this option displays the next five services departing from a stop within some fixed radius of my current position. Or some function like that.
  + 1

Also, instead of treating train platforms as independent stops, why can't it treat the station as the stop? You could then have the option to view by platform or line - or view everything at the station. Presently, if you want to view trains at any given station you must select a platform and then there are drop down menus to select: Upward or Downward; or view by 'Route' (BRSP / CAIP / NABR).

How can the average person on the street be expected to decipher that?!  :frs:

Same principle with Cultural Centre busway station and others having platforms as completely separate stops!

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
Map tracking on services selected.
En route ETA.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:03:14 PM by verbatim9 »

Offline #Metro

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
What other improvements would you like to see?

An RBOT App. Then we can push pro-PT messages on it from time to time!  :bg:
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline dancingmongoose

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Also, instead of treating train platforms as independent stops, why can't it treat the station as the stop? You could then have the option to view by platform or line - or view everything at the station.

Same principle with Cultural Centre busway station and others having platforms as completely separate stops!

Won't change, because that's the way GTFS works.

A Stop represents a location where a vehicle stops. Stops should model as closely as possible actual stop locations. For example, each platform in a railway station that is physically separate should be represented by a Stop with another entry that represents the station as a parent. The lat/long position of each Stop should be as accurate as possible. For bus stops, if there is a stop on both sides of a road, they should be represented by separate Stops.

I agree it's less than optimal however that is how it works. It does make sense for bus stops but stations not so much.

Not sure why you can't view a station when you can on the website: http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/stops-and-stations/stop/roma-street-station

Not sure how routes work with GTFS, but it definitely should change. A Northgate to Park Road service is called Caboolture line to Beenleigh line which is less than helpful.

Offline bcasey

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
Also, instead of treating train platforms as independent stops, why can't it treat the station as the stop? You could then have the option to view by platform or line - or view everything at the station.

Won't change, because that's the way GTFS works.

https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/reference#stops_fields

The GTFS specification allows for the differentiation between stops and platforms, via the parent_station field. However this field is optional, so it is up to the transit agencies as to whether they will go to the extra effort of adding this data to their files.

Having just double-checked the most recent GTFS files, I can verify that Translink does use this part of the specification.

Therefore, it is possible for the app developers to implement a feature like what you are suggesting, viewing it by platform or the entire station, it would just require some additional processing of the data to display all of the arrivals at the station, as well as additional UI changes to display the platform for each arrival. I wouldn't say its a trivial change, but its definitely possible.

Offline kaykayt

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »
...no major update... :pr

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 06:30:38 PM »
http://translink.com.au/travel-information/journey-planner/mytranslink

MyTransLink has a new feature – the trip announcer!

Use the trip announcer feature to track your journey in real-time. The screen will update as the trip progresses, displaying a map, the stop names and remaining trip time.  You can also set stop announcements that will announce your pre-selected stop or the next stops on the route.

There are a number of ways you can access the trip announcer:

Go to "Timetables", select your bus, train, ferry or tram route, scroll to your departure stop, select the departure stop or the time of your service.
    Go to "Find stops", find and select your stop, select your service.
    Go to "My Services", select your favourite bus, train, ferry or tram route, scroll to your departure stop, select the departure stop or the time of your service.
    Go to "My Stops", select your favourite stop, select your service.
  Bob's Blog

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
Yeah I used it today posted a post in another app thread. Uses a digital voice. Next PIDs on the new BCC busses to allow next stop info.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
Yeah I used it today posted a post in another app thread. Uses a digital voice. Next PIDs on the new BCC busses to allow next stop info.

Offline aldonius

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »
So the app can tell you when your bus stop is.

They need to be trumpeting this, it's a real worry whenever someone uses a new route for the first time.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
Yep using it right now with my headset. Go to my stops press the route number, then it loads the maps and status bar of the route. I am on the 330 now testing from Roma St to Chermside. This enhancement was on my wish list 👍☺
(Make sure GPS is enabled with mobile network location for tunnels)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:55:28 PM by verbatim9 »

Offline nathandavid88

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »
Hurrah!!! This is definitely a feature that I've been holding out for! Much easier on the eyes than following a blue dot on a Google Map (although this method does still have its uses).

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:12:50 PM »
Hurrah!!! This is definitely a feature that I've been holding out for! Much easier on the eyes than following a blue dot on a Google Map (although this method does still have its uses).

:-t :-c
  Bob's Blog

Offline DarcyReynolds36

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
What a great new feature — this is exactly what the app needed in order to be truly beneficial to passengers! I'm finding it incredibly helpful and convenient... good job TransLink :-t

Curious to know whether the next stop is truly real-time info or just estimated arrival time, as per the timetable. Haven't been on any late-running services since the update's release, so I haven't tested this out yet!
"Good quality public transport doesn’t just change the journey, it changes the whole city"
– Stirling Hinchliffe

All posts made reflect my personal views and do not reflect those of my employer.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
  Bob's Blog

Offline nathandavid88

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
I had a play with it on the bus home last night and it's good, but it's not great.

I found that along the Crestmead and Loganlea stretches of the 560 route, where the stops are fairly close to each other, it had trouble keeping up with the stops. Every second stop along that section would go green and come up with "now" just as the bus passes the actual stop (or if not, when it was too close to for the bus to be able to stop at the stop). I believe this is a result of the automatic 5 second refresh rate of the app being too slow for the close stop spacing, hence why it seems to affect every second stop.

The stop alarm is a good feature that does help make up for the lack of accuracy noted above. It uses GPS to go off when you are 400m away from the chosen stop. I only used it towards the Hyperdome, where stops are a bit further spread out, so I'm not yet sure how it will fair in Crestmead-like areas with close spacing. One feature I would like to see with the alarm, is the alarmed stop made visible on the map with a different coloured pointer.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
I was trialling it on the train home last night and it seemed quite accurate - however south of Beenleigh it just dropped "out of range" despite the phone knowing and reporting my position correctly.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »
I was trialling it on the train home last night and it seemed quite accurate - however south of Beenleigh it just dropped "out of range" despite the phone knowing and reporting my position correctly.
Was that using the train wifi or mobile networks?

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
^ I haven't used the onboard wifi for years - it's pointless as it gets swallowed up within minutes.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »
On board wifi should be metered free for Qld rail and Translink websites and Apps. I will write in as a suggestion.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan