• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Outer circle railway - documentary

Started by ozbob, December 04, 2014, 08:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

From a visit October 2012 ...

Quote from: ozbob on November 01, 2012, 15:44:40 PM
Went out to Alamein today.  Interesting line with a history as part of the Outer Circle line.

There has been a replacement of wooden sleepers with concrete, last few being done.  Lot of works going on at various stations.  Noted a lot of opportunity park and ride cars around the stations.

There is tram/rail crossing at Riversdale on this line.  Line is double to Ashburton, single line then to Alamein.  Outbound line crosses the main line by flyover at Camberwell East.  Inbound joins the main line at grade at Camberwell.

Photographs R Dow 1st November 2012

ozbob

There has been the odd idea floated from time to time to do that RTT.   It is still achievable, but not sure if there is really the will.

SurfRail

One of the better ideas I have seen is to connect the stopping trains from south of Oakleigh to the Glen Waverley line, leaving Oakleigh to Caulfield on the current route for Cranbourne and Pakenham only.
Ride the G:

pandmaster

Quote from: SurfRail on December 05, 2014, 13:17:11 PM
One of the better ideas I have seen is to connect the stopping trains from south of Oakleigh to the Glen Waverley line, leaving Oakleigh to Caulfield on the current route for Cranbourne and Pakenham only.

This would have the huge benefit of adding a station at Chadstone Shopping Centre, a major activity centre. It would help to alleviate congestion on the Caulfield group too which would be a huge plus. If that were done it would not be too much more work to link  Alamein with the Glen Waverley line either, especially since most of the corridor is still there.

SurfRail

Alamein is a bit more marginal - probably nothing more than extending to Oakleigh or maybe towards Monash (not to Rowville though), but retaining the northern terminus at Camberwell and getting people to transfer onto a service originating east of Box Hill.
Ride the G:

pandmaster

Quote from: SurfRail on December 09, 2014, 23:57:52 PM
Alamein is a bit more marginal - probably nothing more than extending to Oakleigh or maybe towards Monash (not to Rowville though), but retaining the northern terminus at Camberwell and getting people to transfer onto a service originating east of Box Hill.

I suppose it would depend on Alamein being developed into higher density housing. Presently it is very suburban and lots of green spaces, quite a nice area. The only time I have ever not been able to get on a train in Australia due to being full was at Glenferrie Station in the morning peak, so I think there is scope to run Alamein trains from Camberwell to the City via the Glen Waverley line to relieve the Ringwood line.

Monash desperately needs a rail service. Clayton is the largest campus of the largest university in Australia (by enrolments) and at times there is a bus every four minutes from Huntingdale Station. Oakleigh to East Malvern would be a good way to boost capacity to enable Monash trains.

ozbob

Received my copies of the Outer Circle Railway documentary today.  Marvellous production.

Well worth obtaining.

> http://outercircleline.com.au/index.html

🡱 🡳