• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

RBOT Hi Quality Bus Network Route Maps- Can YOU Help!?

Started by #Metro, November 15, 2014, 23:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aldonius

Quote from: Whistling Nixie on November 23, 2014, 15:01:49 PM
[Edited:] On second thoughts, the image quality of that attachment was horrendous! Here's a link to a decent copy of the PDF:
http://fav.me/d87clwx

Much better (yay for vectors). I think part of the reason why it's so large is that you've converted text to paths.
I did a quick test with 15 & 30 text objects (170 and 340 printing characters respectively, some stretched and rotated; for the 340, just duplicated and nudged across a bit). the PDFs were 5kB for both left as text, but 38 and 75 kB respectively when converted.

LD, what d'you want next? 359 and friends?

#Metro

The maps are fantastic! Thank you both again!!

- Route 380 (because it's Ashgrove)
- Route 359

- Route 192 (there are actually two mini-black holes, one in West End (boundary st) and New Farm (James St))
- Route 902
- Route 909

I'll leave it to Whistling Nixie and yourself to work out a division of labor :)

If this goes to the election, it will be the biggest RBOT victory EVER!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

aldonius

I've been thinking about the 359, so I'll take that.

As always I'll be showing the lesser routes alongside - which way do the loops go for the 338 and 357?

#Metro

338 to Strathpine: Queen Elizabeth Drive first, then Saraband and exit

357 to City: Keong Rd, then Albany Creek Rd then Old Northern Road

:-t :is-
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

QuoteOK, here 'tis:  :fo:

Looks great! The 374 finishes at Park Road station :)

There is a link to the .kml file for the network in Aldonius' signature line. You can view a single route at a time with the others turned off.

:mu:

MaxHeadway

Quote from: aldonius on November 23, 2014, 21:12:41 PMI think part of the reason why it's so large is that you've converted text to paths.

Most of the reason was the underlying scale map (a screenshot of Go Ogle Earth)! Removing that layer, then saving as a different file, makes for much less of a bandwidth-hog.

Now corrected, with the 374 going to Park Rd:

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

aldonius

Quote from: Whistling Nixie on November 24, 2014, 03:30:30 AM
Most of the reason was the underlying scale map (a screenshot of Go Ogle Earth)! Removing that layer, then saving as a different file, makes for much less of a bandwidth-hog.
Of course. Inkscape seems to be excluding hidden layers from the PDF; I would imagine that Illustrator includes them.

Meanwhile, the 359 is essentially finished. We need a catchy name for the BUZ equivalents, similar to 'cityconnector' or 'superbus' (that empty space in the top-right heading makes me sad).

(quick edit: fixed the Saraband/Q-Liz direction).

#Metro

QuoteMeanwhile, the 359 is essentially finished. We need a catchy name for the BUZ equivalents, similar to 'cityconnector' or 'superbus' (that empty space in the top-right heading makes me sad).

BUZ is a trademark of Brisbane City Council, so you can be sure they will not be sharing it with their competitors or anywhere else in Australia. 'Hi' is the proposed regional replacement, following a US model. So you would see buses like "Hi West End" or "Hi The Gap"
or "Hi City" which I think is a really cool play on words :)

CLICK TO ENLARGE

http://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites/1/media/maps_schedules/hi-frequencymap2.png

aldonius

380 is done and only minimal modification will be required for the 385.

(Edit: snipped, link here.)

I can feel the improvement! (Of course, this took me ~4x as long as the original 911 map.)

#Metro

This is great and will probs go into a release.

Just a tip: There is a small deviation in The Gap (Devonhill and Grenoble St) for the 362, it doesn't always stick to payne rd.

aldonius

True that. There's a couple of minor things I've spotted too (place to add a '380' label, 911 tweaks, a 'P' for the 386).

BTW, you didn't specify where in the CBD the 386 goes, so I set it as Ann St. Not changing that now  :co3

Hold off on a release until I have the companion 385 map.

#Metro

It (P386) continues to Riverside, but would be complex to show. Google used to permit one to click each route separately and see it but in the latest Google Maps upgrade they removed this for 'viewing mode'.  :frs: I don't know why Google did this but it is a small annoyance.

.kml file is the best to use as a reference, one can turn off all other routes.

aldonius

Fix fix fix fix fixy fix, fixy fiiix!
Edit: more fix, and then again

I'll have the 385 version up in not more than 24h.

MaxHeadway

Proposed Route 200:

techblitz

Very nice work :-t I think you guys should have a crack at the gold coast bus/light rail network maps down the track ;)

MaxHeadway

Quote from: techblitz on November 25, 2014, 16:55:40 PMI think you guys should have a crack at the gold coast bus/light rail network maps down the track ;)

Already done such a map, though I've stripped things down, concentrating on the main interchange points and trip generators:

http://bit.ly/1nIdEH1

A more detailed "frequent service" map for the Gold Coast may be in order though (if only to provide a colour-blind-friendly alternative to the official offering!).

aldonius

385 is done (didn't take much, just a few tweaks from the 380...)

I think I'll take a break for a couple of days.

#Metro

Is there a place where all these can go at RBOT? Seems logical to have them all in one place.

Arnz

Would be nice for someone to draw up the Route 600 along with a upgraded 616 and 620 routes to represent the SC's Hi Frequent network. 

616 and 620 are currently half-hourly, well patronised at certain times of the day (School pick-up hours has standees due to students using the services) and have trip generators of their own (Sunshine Coast University via Alex Headlands & Buderim and the 620 to Coolum Beach & Noosa).  There has been calls at certain times in the local SC media (district M'Dore/Noosa rags) to upgrade the 620 from every 30 mins to every 15 minutes.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

#Metro

QuoteThis thread?

:yikes:  :fo:

I was thinking of a gallery. The routes are quite beautiful in and of themselves!

ozbob

There is a gallery here --> http://railbotforum.org/cm

It is integrated with the forum, any member can use it.  More > http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=3166.0

Only members can post images etc.  anyone can view though.

#Metro

aldonius

I'll give it a crack on Sunday. What colour do you want the key route? It's not a Hi Frequency service, and I've been using black to represent other HF services.

#Metro

Yes, black should be fine as the thickness of the line should be enough (hopefully) to distinguish the services. If not, experiment :)

achiruel

Hey I just wondering what software you guys use for these drawings?

And is there any trial versions or whatever I could get for free and have a crack at?

Not that I expect to upload any of them here, I just want to play for my own curiosity.

Gazza

#Metro

QuoteHey I just wondering what software you guys use for these drawings?

And is there any trial versions or whatever I could get for free and have a crack at?

Not that I expect to upload any of them here, I just want to play for my own curiosity.

I think Inkscape (FREE) is used. There is also illustrator by Adobe but that is $.

#Metro

Anyone want to have a graphic design crack at a Better Bus Network pledge which we can pressure MPs to sign? Just needs to be an image like a contract. I guess we would put a bus where the image of a person is here, and numbered network reforms on the right list:

Would be voluntary.

MaxHeadway

Quote from: LD Transit on November 29, 2014, 18:44:09 PMI think Inkscape (FREE) is used. There is also illustrator by Adobe but that is $.

For $30 a month, you can get Illustrator on a monthly plan (or $20/month on a yearly plan)—less than cable TV. However, Adopey Irritator seems to be at least as crash-prone as Inkscape, if not more so ("Insufficient memory was available to complete the operation"?), so I'd say Inkscape gives a lot more value for money. ;D (If you're a Mac user, there is some mumbo-jumbo to go through to get Inkscape working, as the program requires the X11 windowing environment. Worth it once that's out of the way, though!)

aldonius

I use Inkscape, FWIW. There is indeed a bunch of Mac-side mumbo jumbo, but it's really not that big a deal - an additional d/l and install for XQuartz, then a couple of settings tweaks to get a non-broken clipboard and the alt-key shortcuts working.

Gazza

MaxHeadway

Quote from: Gazza on November 30, 2014, 00:28:09 AM
Corel Draw is good, and cheaper than Illustrator.

...And hopefully more stable! Illustrator's more bug-ridden than the Ganges.

aldonius

Back on the horse. Here's route 192. I had to make a couple of inferences about one way streets.

Incidentally, you have the 66 as running on Stanley St rather than the busway, and the 196 and 77 running through the pedestrianised section of Brunswick St. I'm working on the assumption that the 196 and 77 should go via Warner St instead.

ozbob

#Metro

Thank You

Just a thank you to all the RBOT volunteers who contributed their time and expertise to creating the very professional mapping for the RBOT New Bus Network Proposal. It is great to see that most of the material is now out there in the public domain before the election period. Hopefully it will have some impact now.

Thank you all.

:bo

aldonius

Fair warning - I can't get any new maps until the 14th at a minimum. Will start working on one of them (902 or 909) on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#Metro

🡱 🡳