• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

8.07am from Oxley to... Nambour - damn packed train

Started by Mozz, May 07, 2014, 18:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozz

Well I have started a new role and the access to 'end of trip' facilities has yet to be sorted so I have been travelling to and from the CBD from Oxley for the last few days.

Today I decided to catch the 8.07am from Oxley to the city (which is a Nambour train) ..... well my advice is to anyone ... DON'T... seriously I was immediately beset with flashbacks to circa 2006 with 1200 sardines... oops I mean paying commuters.. in a six car set...

But seriously...at Oxley all seats were occupied and half the carriages standing.. by Toowong, completely full,,,, all subsequent stations saw people running between doors trying to squeeze in ..

Probably not 1200 in the train ... but I would say 1000 - 1100 ... which is well over what it should be.

Disclaimer: I have never travelled on this service before so don't know if this is the norm or indeed if there were issues on the line previous which caused this situation.

ozbob

Not aware of any issues this morning that might have impacted.  I have caught a few services from Oxley around that time over the last year or so and overloading has not been a problem.  Be interesting to see if it is constant.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Mozz

Same here Bob ... agreed... all other services I have used are good.... well with the exception of the 3 carriage trains which are used because we don't have enough rolling stock infrastructure

dancingmongoose

Fairly normal. When I had 9AM starts I would catch the Nambour train from Oxley, always packed, rarely get a seat. It's at a prime time for school kids and workers alike.

James

Looks to be a combination of a few factors, going by timetable alone:
1. The sole train in the 24-minute period between the 7:55am train and the 8:19am train (all other 24-minute windows during peak have at least three trains during them).
2. The main service children going to CBD schools starting at 9am would be catching (and quite possibly other schools along the corridor).
3. As stated by dancingmongoose, prime time for school kids/workers alike.

There are multiple services like this on the network - in the end, the only way to solve the problem is to add more services (difficult when rolling stock are stretched to capacity).
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

aldonius

Quote from: James on May 07, 2014, 23:28:15 PM
There are multiple services like this on the network - in the end, the only way to solve the problem is to add more services (difficult when rolling stock are stretched to capacity).

In several cases the gap lies at the peak of the peak... FG PM being another example. Then there's the classic headscratcher of the Cleveland expresses.

STB

Quote from: aldonius on May 08, 2014, 08:35:31 AM

In several cases the gap lies at the peak of the peak... FG PM being another example. Then there's the classic headscratcher of the Cleveland expresses.

What's the matter with the Cleveland expresses?

petey3801

Quote from: STB on May 08, 2014, 13:00:26 PM
Quote from: aldonius on May 08, 2014, 08:35:31 AM

What's the matter with the Cleveland expresses?

I suspect he means the start/finish times of the PM peak express services out of the City ;)
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

aldonius

Yeah, that CL-PM express pattern really should start and finish 2 cycles or so later than it does.

🡱 🡳