• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Competitive tendering - bus

Started by ozbob, April 20, 2014, 06:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Very very interesting snippet in the Sunday Mail today ...

From the Sunday Mail 20th April 2014 page 15

BUSES ON ONE-WAY STREET

:-w
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Not a shock at all really, inevitable ...

ozbob

Media release 12th January 2014

SEQ: BCC Bus Cost Explosion Engulfs Community

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers highlights growing community anger with the public transport cost explosions.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"One year on, it is now possible to observe the long term effect of Brisbane City Councillors opposing the TransLink bus review. In our opinion BCC's opposition has contributed to a cost explosion on public transport affecting all of SEQ. BCC does not set fares, but it does set bus supplier costs and obviously, higher costs equals higher fares."

"In our opinion, it is extraordinary that after two bus reviews, BCC's bus monopoly continues to operate a hi-waste service paradigm that operates buses as if they were taxi-style services. Naturally, this has led to taxi-style fare levels, along with $400 per council ratepayer subsidies to prop up the inefficient bus network."

"The cosmetic changes to the bus network, the fare gimmicks and spin tactics are now not working. Anger is spreading across family dinner tables around SEQ. Ordinary passengers are being affected and disillusioned."

"We call for the Queensland Government to reverse its 1925 decision to hand BCC public transport control. By losing control of the bus route planning to BCC, the Queensland Government has lost control of service costs and let ticket prices of public transport explode. BCC did not allow Brisbane Transport to properly cooperate with the TransLink during the main bus review process, effectively sabotaging real reform."

"It is a sad irony that the councillors that went around claiming that they were concerned about representing the interests of the disadvantaged and needy are the same people now responsible for causing a massive cost explosion that is slamming low income and the disadvantaged into the ground," concluded Robert Dow.

Here are some examples from the petition ( https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/scott-emerson-minister-for-transport-and-main-roads-reduce-translink-fares ) going around:

"I would be happy to pay premium prices for a premium service. However, as it stands the BCC transport service is far from premium."

"I cannot afford on minimum wage to get to my job."

"I'm currently on a Centrelink wage while I spend my days job searching. As the prices were before the new year rise I struggled with my budget just getting to and from maybe 3-4 interviews on a weekly basis. With the new prices I would be lucky to be able to make it to 2 while still paying my rent (A meagre $100 by the way) in addition to dedicating myself to full time job hunting."

"As a student on centrelink, current rates already eat a lot of my weekly budget. I simply can't afford more expensive rates. It is cheaper to drive!"

Robert Dow continued " We think this comment on the petition sums up our consistent position neatly:

Marc Fotsch-Heatley AUSTRALIA 'We could have such better services for cheaper if the network was rationally designed.'

"As we have always said, the sooner the bus network control is removed from BCC hands, the quicker the network can be re-organised to be efficient, properly mode integrated and fares lowered."

References:

1. SEQ: Bus cost explosion - zone one paper ticket fare breaks $5 barrier http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=10447.0

2. Kangaroo Point 234 bus passengers upset over wait times and walking http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/city/kangaroo-point-234-bus-passengers-upset-over-wait-times-and-walking/story-fni9r0jy-1226749825307

3. Pensioner protest over bus route changes http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/pensioner-protest-over-bus-route-changes-20131030-2whig.html

4. Scott Emerson, Minister for Transport and Main Roads: Reduce Translink fares
https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/scott-emerson-minister-for-transport-and-main-roads-reduce-translink-fares

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

BrizCommuter

Competitive tendering doesn't solve the diabolical network unless the contract states that TransLink/TMR have control over the network design and scheduling.

ozbob

Quote from: BrizCommuter on April 20, 2014, 06:50:59 AM
Competitive tendering doesn't solve the diabolical network unless the contract states that TransLink/TMR have control over the network design and scheduling.

I am now confident that will be the case ... 

#Metro

I think contractors should be permitted to proposed new and improved anti-hi-waste routing subject to TransLink approval. BT got to 'suggest' bus routes, why be different here?

Open call to any operators who may want to implement a connected network!!

I don't see any issue with foreign bus companies - there are lots of LOCAL bus companies that would want to vy for what is on offer AND they also have operations within Australia.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Jonno

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on April 20, 2014, 06:58:27 AM
I think contractors should be permitted to proposed new and improved anti-hi-waste routing subject to TransLink approval. BT got to 'suggest' bus routes, why be different here?

I don't see any issue with foreign bus companies - there are lots of LOCAL bus companies that would want to vy for what is on offer AND they also have operations within Australia.

This is exactly what is occuring with the Trams in Melbourne. The operators are working collaboratively to improve network connectivity and high frequency services...all because it will increase patronage!

SurfRail

^ And in particular Transdev who now has the biggest individual bus contract, which includes nearly all the Smartbus and CBD routes.  They have come up with their own improved HF network concept "vision" or refining and modelling with PTV, councils, the public etc.  There is a link somewhere in the VIC subforum over on ATDB (on phone at moment, too bothersome to grab and link myself).
Ride the G:

STB

Best news so far this year.  Now the big question - will they be able to hold up against the union and BCC and go through with sorting this out?  I hope so!

ozbob

Quote from: STB on April 20, 2014, 09:56:52 AM
Best news so far this year.  Now the big question - will they be able to hold up against the union and BCC and go through with sorting this out?  I hope so!

Welcome back STB!  Excellent bus news indeed ... 

#Metro

Let's hope they don't screw this one up!!

Good luck prospective new bus operators!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

http://www.treasury.qld.gov.au/office/knowledge/docs/better-services-for-queenslanders/fact-sheet-public-transport.pdf

QuoteIn the area of public transport, the Commission's recommendations are about delivering the best value-for-money rail and bus services for
Queensland taxpayers. This means putting in place service delivery models that encourage innovation and efficiencies. Recommendations
include:
15 City passenger rail
services and network
infrastructure be opened
up to contestability, like
bus services, to allow
different providers,
including private
providers, to bid to
operate services and
maintain below-rail
assets in a particular
franchised area under
franchise and lease
arrangements.

16 Competitive tendering be
introduced for long
distance and tourist
passenger rail service
contracts, including:
• evaluating the number
of routes serviced and
frequencies,
franchisees and
franchise areas before
initiating the tender
• owning the rollingstock
required to provide the
services in a State
Government entity, and
leasing this to the
franchisee for the term
of the contract.

17 Competitive tendering be
introduced for bus service
contracts throughout
Queensland, including
evaluating the number of
routes serviced and
frequencies, franchisees
and franchise areas
before initiating the
tender.

18 Mount Isa rail freight line
be transferred to Port of
Townsville to be managed
as an integrated supply
chain, with a view to
divestment of the
integrated business.

19 Queensland Rail remain
the owner and operator of
the regional rail network,
but with the maintenance
task to be outsourced
through a competitive
tendering process.

#Metro

I want to put on public record the explicit link between the fare cost explosions of 15% and BCC:

This is from the BCC meeting minutes,
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/committees-meetings-minutes/councils-meeting-minutes

07 May 2013:

Chairman:   LORD MAYOR.

LORD MAYOR:   Yes thanks very much, Madam Chairman. Madam Chairman, I thank Councillor DICK for the question and as I said if he listened to what I said earlier I said that I stood by the comments that I made on 5 March. I went onto say at the end of the quote that Councillor DICK just provided to this Chamber, I said I just say again my position always has been clear in that I do not support the privatisation of Brisbane Transport. That remains my position, Madam Chairman, and I don't know what it is that Councillor DICK is frightened of.

What I will say though is this that we have to make sure that we provide as an efficient organisation as is possible in relation to Brisbane Transport. I say this also that there is without a shadow of a doubt, an unsustainable growth path in terms of costs by the State Government. Councillor DICK in an earlier question, Madam Chairman, made reference to the issue of the Costello Report. He made reference to it in relation to competitive tendering and particularly to do with services. Madam Chairman, on page 7, I think it was, of that report there was a graph which shows the flight path of TransLink service payments to Brisbane City Council, through Brisbane Transport.

That flight path as it stands at the moment is unsustainable and it does in a way reflect why the Labor state government were proposing 15 per cent fare increases every year through to 2014 and who knows if they were still in government what would happen beyond that. Because when you look at the growth in payments that would need to be made, Madam Chairman, to Brisbane Transport, that, Madam Chairman, shows why they were seeking those 15 per cent fare increases. Now let's be frank, 15 per cent fare increases also were not sustainable. This Chamber collectively expressed a view around that that we could not support 15 per cent increases because of the growth in public transport patronage would not be sustained if that were to occur.

I think that's been demonstrated by the fact that in the last year or two public transport growth has flat-lined. There's been a little bit of a kick this year as far as Brisbane services are concerned but it has essentially flat-lined which means that you're getting to a saturation point in terms of fares and the state government understand that. But fares can only be addressed if the costs associated with transport can be pushed down. Councillor DICK you're across the Costello Report quite clearly from your question earlier and I do refer you to page 7.

You can see there that the growth in costs go from around $260 million in
2011-12 through to what's heading towards $400 million by 2015, $400 million, how do you sustain that? How do you sustain that and keep fares down at the same time? Madam Chairman, these are the challenges that we are faced; these are the issues to which the former Labor government stuck their head in the sand, failed to acknowledge and failed to act upon. In the bus review, Madam Chairman, that was undertaken, when we undertook that, we noticed in the former Transport Minister's own electorate there were routes which clearly should not have been introduced because there is no case to introduce those new services.

They were pork barrelling at its very best, Madam Chairman, and when you look that is, after the review—

#Metro

And further to the above meeting minutes, it was also revealed that the BCC bus review resulted in no savings to the Queensland Government at all. This is why fares still went up, even after the BCC bus review.

QuoteLORD MAYOR:   Well, Madam Chairman, the question that was asked of me was how much would it save the State Government? The answer is nothing.

#Metro

Is it correct that BCC contracted Park Ridge Transit (PRT) to operate BUZ 140 services a few years ago? I have a video of this service being operated by PRT.

http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/buses/140

STB

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on April 20, 2014, 21:59:46 PM
Is it correct that BCC contracted Park Ridge Transit (PRT) to operate BUZ 140 services a few years ago? I have a video of this service being operated by PRT.

http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/buses/140

Yep, that's correct, in fact I think this has existed way back to the pre TransLink days.  Same with BCC/BT contracting Hornibrook to operate the 315.

#Metro

Thanks STB! I am looking at something else.
It appears that Brisbane Transport was actively contracting private bus companies to run buses during special events as late as May 2013, which was after BCC opposed the bus review.

You have a look at this! http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/committees-meetings-minutes/councils-meeting-minutes

Meeting Minutes 4403 Ordinary Minutes 14 May 2013: (I recommend download and saving this!)

STB

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on April 20, 2014, 22:20:01 PM
Thanks STB! I am looking at something else.
It appears that Brisbane Transport was actively contracting private bus companies to run buses during special events as late as May 2013, which was after BCC opposed the bus review.

You have a look at this! http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/committees-meetings-minutes/councils-meeting-minutes

Meeting Minutes 4403 Ordinary Minutes 14 May 2013: (I recommend download and saving this!)

That's nothing new there.  Private operators like Veolia (now TransDev) have been doing special event runs for years, although I never realised that it was for BCC/BT until now!

Basically what seems to be happening is that BCC/BT are trying to act like TransLink, going off and doing their own thing separate to the State (beyond just creating new bus routes/timetables etc).

#Metro

More from these BCC council minutes:

I don't agree with the comment about the ALP. It think it has more to do with waste (cough), duplication (cough) and anti-rail disconnectivity (cough).

QuoteCouncillor HUANG:   If we compared Brisbane's bus fares to Auckland City in New Zealand, a city of similar size, both in land mass and population—and also it's one of our sister cities—we can see our bus fares are about two to nine times more expensive than the bus link services in Auckland, which depend on the distance you are travelling.

When an Auckland resident pays a fare of 50 cents for their City LINK and we are paying $4.80 for a single trip, then I think we need to ask ourselves why. Madam Chairman, it is unfortunate that we have inherited the legacy of an incompetent and inefficient Labor State Government.

[4403 (Ordinary) meeting – 14 May 2013]

#Metro

Bus services in Brisbane have not always been operated by BCC.

BCC Council Minutes
[4406 (Ordinary) Meeting – 4 June 2013]
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/committees-meetings-minutes/councils-meeting-minutes

---
A   COMMITTEE PRESENTATION – PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN BRISBANE – PART 2: FROM TRAMS TO BUSES 1948 TO 1969
667/2012-13

1.   Alan Warren, Divisional Manager, Brisbane Transport, and Ian Lynas, Assistant Network Scheduling Officer, Brisbane Transport, attended the meeting to provide the second part of his presentation on public transport in Brisbane, covering the change from trams to buses between 1948 and 1969.

2.   The chronology of significant events over the period 1950 to 1956 included the following:

1950 –   Council replaced its 71 petrol buses with diesel buses

1951 –   first electric trolley bus service introduced and Council also purchased two private bus operators in Cannon Hill, Morningside and Bulimba areas

1952 –   Council took over private bus services in Ashgrove, Clayfield, Wavell Heights, Northgate and Banyo and acquired its first underfloor-engine diesel buses (Leyland Royal Tiger and AEC Regal IV)

1956 –   Council took over private bus services in Mitchelton, West Stafford, Newmarket and Alderley.

ozbob

Media release 21 April 2014

SEQ: TransLink bus contracting welcome!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers welcomes bus competitive tender contracting.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"This is a win for the travelling public who have been hit by multiple 7.5% and 15% fare cost explosions. The great virtue of bus contracting is that it forces operators to deliver the goods or get out. This measure will bring Brisbane into line with Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland (NZ) and Stockholm (Sweden) for example."

"Our view has always been that we care about directness, speed, frequency, decent service hours and connectivity rather than government ownership. In particular, we look forward to bus contracting within the Brisbane City Council (BCC) area."

"BCC privatised public transport by contract with its fleet of privatised CityCats floating in the Brisbane River. BCC entrusts the CityCats to private multinational corporation TransDev. TransDev operates 30% of Melbourne's bus network and could shape up to be a key competitor against BCC. Transdev's Melbourne contract requires the conduct of a bus review; we believe that all tenders should be given the opportunity or option to run a connected bus network to take advantage of recent rail service upgrades by Queensland Rail."

"Our view is that Brisbane's bus services are broken with recent annual patronage stagnating, 50% air buses during peak hour, excessive legacy routing, multiple cost explosions, major issues with buses crossing the BCC boundaries and entire suburbs such as Bulimba, Centenary, and Albany Creek completely neglected – so a major overhaul is definitely required. The unwillingness of BCC to implement Auckland-style bus reform now means that there is massive room for other operators to come in and make large efficiencies."

"Right-To-Information reveals that BCC refused to meet TransLink on six occasions during the bus review, cancelling proposed high frequency BUZ service to Yeronga, Albany Creek, Centenary Suburbs and improvements to Bulimba. In our opinion, this is the kind of behaviour that we would expect from a monopoly exercising economic regulatory capture powers."

"In conclusion, we stress that we welcome this proposal put forward by the State Government and this is good news for the travelling public."

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track
http://backontrack.org

References:

* BUSES ON ONE-WAY STREET Sunday Mail 20th April 2014 page 15

* Stockholm (Sweden) contracts out its train operations to MTR Corporation and its buses to Keolis Busslink. These two operators are the same operators that run Melbourne's trains and trams.

* TransDev http://www.brisbaneferries.com.au/ "Brisbane Ferries operates service along the Brisbane River on behalf of Brisbane City Council"

* http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/news/transdev-begins-operating-the-melbourne-metropolitan-bus-franchise/

"A requirement for the operator to conduct a comprehensive review of all services included in the franchise to identify opportunities for improvement and implement a "greenfields" timetable change by the end of April 2015."

* Brisbane City Council's "not broken" bus network http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com/2013/03/brisbane-city-council.html

* List of Current TransLink Operators

Airtrain - Private (but publicly operated by QR)
Bay Islands Transit - Private
Bribie Island Coaches - Private
Brisbane Bus Lines - Private
Brisbane City Council Ferries - Privatised to TransDev TSL, a Veolia Company
http://www.brisbaneferries.com.au/
Brisbane Transport - Public
Buslink - Private Bus
Queensland Lockyer Valley - Private
Caboolture Bus Lines - Private
Clarks Logan City Bus Service - Private
Hornibrook Bus Lines - Private
Kangaroo Bus Lines - Private
Mt Gravatt Bus Lines - Private
Park Ridge Transit - Private
Queensland Rail - Public
Southern Cross Transit - Private
Sunshine Coast Sunbus - Private
Surfside Bus Lines - Private
Thompsons's Bus Service - Private
Veolia Transport - Private
Westside Bus Company - Private

Total operators = 21
Public operators = 2 (Brisbane Transport, Queensland Rail)
Private Operators = 19

longboi

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on April 20, 2014, 06:58:27 AM

This is exactly what is occuring with the Trams in Melbourne. The operators are working collaboratively to improve network connectivity and high frequency services...all because it will increase patronage!
[/quote]

The best way to achieve this is to include contractual requirements for service planning and offering performance payments for increased patronage and decreased overhead expenses.

In fact, the "BCC review" is an example of what Operators ought to be contracted to do going forward. That is, they develop short term micro-plans to reduce overhead expenses and deal with issues such as timing and demand management.

TransLink would then hold responsibility for more strategic, long term planning for patronage growth, increased coverage and modal connectivity. TransLink would also work with Operators to ensure the Operators' short term plans fit with TransLink's long term plans.

STB

Something I've just thought of to, I hope that when the new operators come in, I hope that there'll be some sort of education given the cynicism of Brisbane people with privatization.

longboi

Quote from: STB on April 27, 2014, 22:09:58 PM
Something I've just thought of to, I hope that when the new operators come in, I hope that there'll be some sort of education given the cynicism of Brisbane people with privatization.

The main issue people will raise is service reduction and profits before people.

It will need to be clearly communicated what operators are/aren't responsible for and make it clear that TransLink is the regulator, acting on behalf of the public.

As it is, some people think that TransLink is a private company generating profit from PT. The regular Joe's understanding of PT is back-to-front.

ozbob

Report on radio 612 Brisbane this morning by Brisbane Times Journalist Kim Stephens to the effect that in BCC meeting yesterday, following a question LM Quirk acknowledged that there is now a review of the bus  & ferry network " optimisation " underway with possible privatisation implications. Insisted would not be more cuts in the forthcoming council budget ..   :-X

Hey ho ... 

STB

Quote from: ozbob on May 28, 2014, 07:28:53 AM
Report on radio 612 Brisbane this morning by Brisbane Times Journalist Kim Stephens to the effect that in BCC meeting yesterday, following a question LM Quirk acknowledged that there is now a review of the bus  & ferry network " optimisation " underway with possible privatisation implications. Insisted would not be more cuts in the forthcoming council budget ..   :-X

Hey ho ...

I like that word 'privatisation', means that BCC hopefully won't have their political mitts all over the planning of the network and hopefully give the State a proper say in developing and reviewing the network.  Is it too early yet though to celebrate with a  :mu:8)

ozbob

Not sure if the meeting minutes are available.  Might check that out.

Maybe Brisbanetimes might yet do an article.

BCC Meeting Minutes --> http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/committees-meetings-minutes/councils-meeting-minutes

Looks like they take a while to appear (probably massaged a bit first ..   :P)

ozbob

Here we go ...

Brisbanetimes --> More Brisbane public transport changes possible

QuoteBrisbane's bus and ferry commuters could face more timetable upheaval.

With the Brisbane City Council budget imminent, Lord Mayor Graham Quirk strongly indicated last year's public transport "optimisation" that saved ratepayers $16 million in its first six months could continue next financial year.

While he has previously ruled out further cuts to services, at Tuesday's council meeting he said the ongoing review of network efficiency was a priority.

"It is our task to make sure that we get Brisbane transport as efficient as it can be," he said. "It is not a case of an open cheque book and never will be.

"Brisbane transport ... has served Brisbane well for a long long time, but we will continue to forge as greater efficiency as we can, understanding it needs to be efficient because we need to provide the best value for money for the ratepayers of this city."

Five bus services were cut and nine were altered in July last year, following a review of network's efficiency.

In October, late night ferry services were cut and off-peak frequency reduced in a $2 million cost savings move.

Cr Quirk said despite the cuts, patronage figures had increased across the network following the implementation.

The Lord Mayor is due to present the 2014/15 council budget on June 18.

His comments about public transport network efficiency on Tuesday came after questioning by Opposition Leader Milton Dick about the potential future privatisation of the city's public transport system.

"Do I support the privatisation of Brisbane buses? No, I don't, that's always been my position," Qr Quirk said.

Cr Dick said there was concern there had already been discussion between the council, state government and TransLink - which operates the network - about selling off the city's bus network.

"Commuters in Brisbane have already faced $16 million in public transport cuts this year from a bus route review, cuts to CityCat services and the sell-off of key bus depots," he said.

"I'm calling on the Lord Mayor to send a clear message to the state government that Brisbane's bus services are not for sale and to rule out any more public transport cuts in the upcoming council budget."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/more-brisbane-public-transport-changes-possible-20140528-zrqa5.html#ixzz32xL6OEH3

ozbob

They are ' beating around the bush ' a bit, but I think astute observers can rationalise out what is going on ...

:P

nathandavid88

Quote"Brisbane transport ... has served Brisbane well for a long long time...

To me, this sounds like the speech a business owner makes to a long term staff member who is 'retiring' (ie: being retired).   :-t

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

28th May 2014

More Brisbane public transport changes possible? Indeed!

Greetings!

We welcome bus competitive tender contracting.

The supplier (BCC) taking overt control of the regulator's (TransLink) bus route planning was supposed to be a 'one of', but reading the latest media, one wonders. Who is actually planning the bus network, the bus planners at BCC or the bus planners at Translink?

In our opinion, BCC Councillors rejection of the TransLink bus review contributed to a cost explosion that not only cut planned BUZ services to Yeronga, Centenary Suburbs, Albany Creek and improved services to Bulimba but also contributed to slamming the needy and vulnerable - those on the minimum wage, centrelink payments, unemployed and refugees.

BCC's bus 'review' last year saved a grand total of $0.00 for the State Government.

In an embarrassing move, Brisbane's sister city Auckland, NZ is now implementing a near-identical bus plan across Auckland to the one BCC rejected, using a Brisbane based consulting firm. Many other cities are following this international trend towards connected transport networks.

Our view has always been that we care about directness, speed, frequency, decent service hours and connectivity rather than government ownership. In particular, we look forward to bus contracting within the Brisbane City Council (BCC) area.

Some BCC councillors seem completely unaware that BCC already has privatised public transport, including contracting with private bus operators. The BCC CityCat is privatised by contract to TransDev TSL (Veolia), the same company that runs 30% of Melbourne's Bus Services. BCC's own council meeting minutes show BCC contracting multiple private bus operators to run match day services and BCC has previously contracted a private bus company, Park Ridge Transit, to operate BUZ 140 services.

We call on the State Government to abolish BCC's public transport functions through amendment of the City of Brisbane Act 2010, reverse the Queensland Government's 1925 decision to hand BCC public transport control and throw the bus contracts open to full competition as is done for example in Sydney, Melbourne, London (UK) and Stockholm (Sweden).

Private operators can consider setting up competing bus depots on land at Archerfield Airport or Brisbane Airport thereby bypassing the need to buy any of BCC's encumbered bus depot assets or seek development approval from their competitor - Brisbane City Council.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

References:

BCC meeting minutes, http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/committees-meetings-minutes/councils-meeting-minutes

"That flight path as it stands at the moment is unsustainable and it does in a way reflect why the Labor state government were proposing 15 per cent fare increases every year through to 2014 and who knows if they were still in government what would happen beyond that. Because when you look at the growth in payments that would need to be made, Madam Chairman, to Brisbane Transport, that, Madam Chairman, shows why they were seeking those 15 per cent fare increases." - Lord Mayor Graham Quirk.

"LORD MAYOR:   Well, Madam Chairman, the question that was asked of me was how much would it save the State Government? The answer is nothing. "

More Brisbane public transport changes possible http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/more-brisbane-public-transport-changes-possible -20140528-zrqa5.html

SEQ: TransLink bus contracting welcome! http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=10670.msg141416#msg141416

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/tramtrain/BT_Contracts_zps99af914e.png

Video of Park Ridge Transit operating BCC BUZ 140

James

I think we still have another round of cuts to go before BT goes to tender or accepts a more connective network. BCC's bottom line is hurting, and the only way to stop the bleeding is to make further cuts. Further half-hourly secondary routes will be cut to hourly by the end of the year. Being optimistic, we may see the beginning of bus routes being cut at Indooroopilly and possibly Chermside full-time. There are no real routes to cut short at Carindale or Garden City which aren't BUZes or trashy windy welfare routes.

One thing which really struck me when I was sitting at Buranda yesterday morning (around 8:20am) is how empty some of the P-rockets were - and in fact, how empty some trunk routes were. Some buses were half-full - poor loading for peak hour. Sure, back in 2009 when the network was booming and QR couldn't get enough trains and BCC couldn't get enough buses, sure, people were probably packed in like sardines, but the fare hikes have driven demand down, but supply has not shifted with it in some areas. And unfortunately, large swathes of the network remain unchanged when compared to 2009.

That and the fact that pax at Buranda don't board P-rockets and instead tended to board the full-time routes. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, P-rocket lovers!
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

aldonius

Well of course nobody bothers boarding P-rockets inbound at Buranda.

They're commuter routes and only drivers/planners/enthusiasts would know where the city stops are for any given service.

Trunk routes (almost) all go to QSM, which everyone can remember easily.

P-rockets have solid justification in peak, but only as long as they're full.

James

Quote from: aldonius on May 28, 2014, 14:52:07 PM

They're commuter routes and only drivers/planners/enthusiasts would know where the city stops are for any given service.

I thought with the majority going to the City you'd just board whichever one turns up first. These observations indicate otherwise and that a simpler network is required. This is another example of BCC needing to beef up trunk routes to 5 minute frequency (for example) rather than have a full time route and a P-rocket going every 10 minutes each.

So many P-rockets are not full, which is the main issue. The only full bus I saw was the 111 (which was an artic, at that).
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

#Metro

I've thought about how the city could be divided up into bus contracting zones (if this approach were taken).

One of the options is below.

I've broken the city into four large suburban zones, the bus networks within these zones generally do not interact with buses in the neighboring zones. There is one central CBD zone where operators can permeate into. Contract areas would be large and perhaps have some overlapping borders (for practical reasons) but would be designed such that each area has a good slice of the services so that they're similar and hence one contractor can be in a position and size to challenge for another area.

900 Series CityConnectors could be contracted out as a package or individually and would be able to cross into any zone except for the central zone.

It would be a real shame if the current network were simply contracted out and there were no ties to network reform and redesign. This would lock in the Hi-waste mode of the network for a long time.

Where possible bus depots would be owned by TransLink and leased out contingent on holding a contract. Alternatively private ownership of the bus depots could be done however legislation may be required to effect this (i.e. similar to how a residential lease can be broken/transferred).

1. Brisbane North
2. Brisbane West and The Gap
3. Brisbane East
4. Brisbane South and Sunnybank
5. Brisbane Central

6. 900 CityConnector Series (can be a package or individual, no clear preference either way)

BrizCommuter

Quote from: James on May 28, 2014, 17:49:22 PM
Quote from: aldonius on May 28, 2014, 14:52:07 PM

I thought with the majority going to the City you'd just board whichever one turns up first. These observations indicate otherwise and that a simpler network is required. This is another example of BCC needing to beef up trunk routes to 5 minute frequency (for example) rather than have a full time route and a P-rocket going every 10 minutes each.

So many P-rockets are not full, which is the main issue. The only full bus I saw was the 111 (which was an artic, at that).

Completely agree. A good example is that 345 (and 390) pax are often left behind at stops from Newmarket to Kelvin Grove, in the am peak, yet the P343 bypasses these stops with empty seats. Just to add to the mess, the P343 has different city stops than the 345.

If the P343 was to merge with the 345, then the service would be 1) more frequent 2) better management of overcrowding.

Too logical for Quirk and co?

techblitz

as proven with the p119 into 120 qsbs.....the overcrowding on the 120`s have come down and it's now also acting as a secondary backup if any of the 10 minute peak 120`s are running a few minutes late...and as we know if a peak buz is even 5 minutes late it can mean the difference between the bus leaving qsbs completely full or 1/2 to 3/4 full before it gets to CC.
Cant say i wouldnt disagree with a few more rocket merges down the track. If the demand from the "other end" of the cbd is not good enough then merge away.

SurfRail

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on June 25, 2014, 20:21:11 PM
I've thought about how the city could be divided up into bus contracting zones (if this approach were taken).

More than anything else, it needs to be based around the depots, not so much geographical coverage or allocating each route to one operator only.  There is nothing stopping routes being shared between the contractors, it happens in Perth.

BT has 7 depots.  I would say 3 or 4 contract regions where the operator runs the depots located within them.  Examples:

3 region scenario

North - Virginia, Eagle Farm, Toowong
South West - Willawong, Sherwood
South East - Carina, Garden City

4 region scenario

North - Virginia, Eagle Farm
South - Garden City, Willawong
East - Carina
West - Sherwood, Toowong

Also quite possible the contractors would want to develop their own depots.  BT's practice of having a small number of very large depots on the urban periphery is very wasteful, whereas operators in places like Perth tend to have a larger number of smaller depots to minimise dead running.  Hornibrook is a good example of this locally.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane Transport chief to leave post after 14 years

QuoteBrisbane City Council has sacked the man who made Brisbane's buses run on time for the past 14 years, opening the door to privatising Brisbane's profitable bus runs.

The council opposition says the lord mayor is "secretly clearing the decks" for privatisation.

However Brisbane City Council last night said Brisane Transport had received an extension to run its bus services until September 2015, which would be well after the next state election.

The council runs Brisbane Transport, the state's biggest provider of bus routes and the employer of 2700 employees.

In 2011 it ran 1200 buses on 245 routes, providing 63,859 bus services a week and 1465 school runs, which dropped to about 235 routes in early 2012.

A review of the council's bus routes in 2013 cut that number of routes to 225 and resulted in major changes to about 80 routes.

The Queensland government last year let the private sector compete against Brisbane Transport for Greater Brisbane's most-profitable routes.

Alan Warren, who has headed Brisbane Transport for 14 years, offered to renew his contract in November 2014, but that has been rejected by BCC's civic cabinet ...

... "Brisbane's bus drivers and maintenance staff have been told this week that contestability is on its way in and the divisional manager of Brisbane Transport is on his way out to make room for someone with different skills ahead of privatisation of the network," Cr Abrahams said ...

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-transport-chief-to-leave-post-after-14-years-20140728-zxt7z.html

🡱 🡳