• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Statement: Queensland Rail appoint acting CEO

Started by ozbob, January 10, 2014, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2014/1/10/queensland-rail-appoint-acting-ceo

Acting Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Lawrence Springborg
Friday, January 10, 2014

Queensland Rail appoint acting CEO

Former Queensland Under Treasurer Helen Gluer has been appointed as acting CEO of Queensland Rail.

Acting Transport and Main Roads Minister Lawrence Springborg said Ms Gluer, who broke new ground as the first female Under Treasurer and is a former TransLink board member, will replace Glen Dawe who has stood down to attend to personal matters.

"Helen is one of the most respected senior managers in Queensland and I look forward to her continuing the improvements we've seen in Queensland Rail since coming to government," Mr Springborg said.

"Queensland Rail is now a more efficient organisation, finding much needed savings to allow the Newman Government to deliver its promise to halve Labor's fare hikes and save regular passengers hundreds of dollars a year.

"From January 20 we will be fulfilling our promise to improve frequency with an additional 200 daily services.

"In a short space of time Queensland Rail has also gone from being one of the worst performing passenger networks in Australia to the best in terms of on-time running."

Under Labor on-time running fell to a three-year low of 86 per cent, compared to the 10-year high of 96 per cent in 2013.

Queensland Rail chairman Michael Klug said Ms Gluer would fill the role for four months while a full-time CEO was found.

"I'd also like to thank Glen for his service, both as Queensland Rail chair from July 2012 to June 2013 and as CEO since August last year," Mr Klug said.

[ENDS] 10 January 2014
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

http://annastaciapalaszczukmp.com.au/2014/01/10/newman-government-must-explain-chaos-at-qr/

NEWMAN GOVERNMENT MUST EXPLAIN CHAOS AT QR

Post on 10 January 2014 by Jackie Trad

Shadow Transport Minister, Jackie Trad, says the Newman Government needs to fully explain today's exit and re-entry to government service of two hand-picked senior bureaucrats.

"The Newman Government has announced the need to find the fourth Queensland Rail CEO in less than two years," Ms Trad said.

"This senior and pivotal position in government should not be the subject of a game of musical chairs but that's what it has become under the LNP.

"Queenslanders deserve to know why the LNP's hand-picked CEO Glen Dawe has vacated the CEO's job just five months after being appointed and after serving as QR board chair.

"Mr Dawe was parachuted into the CEO's job and paid more than $600,000 a year despite being ranked at least third on the preferred list of four candidates by an independent selection panel.

"The Newman Government threw proper process out the window and made a blatant political appointment in choosing Mr Dawe when the panel wanted an experienced overseas applicant.

"That's why we deserve to be told why he has now gone and what is the size of any severance package he will receive."

Ms Trad said there were also questions hanging over Mr Dawe's replacement as Acting CEO of QR, former Queensland Under-Treasurer Helen Gluer.

"Ms Gluer left the Under-Treasurer's job in November 2013 citing personal reasons for leaving government service," she said.

"Now by again accepting a senior government role Ms Gluer has re-focussed attention on why she left Queensland Treasury. Did she depart willingly or was she pushed and if so why, and could the government have accommodated her circumstances late last year through leave arrangements?

"As it stands Ms Gluer has returned to government within eight weeks of leaving which naturally raises questions.

"Far from being open and accountable the Newman Government is arrogant, secretive and deceptive.

"It is time taxpayers were given answers, after all they are the ones footing the bill for the appointment of LNP mates like Glen Dawe and others.

"They deserve to know why the Newman Government decisions in the Transport portfolio, including the original appointment of Michael Caltabiano as Director-General, always seem to end in disaster," Ms Trad said.

ozbob

ozbob

My own theory is this.  Just pure conjecture, no association with reality of course ..

Mr Dawe, a fine railway man has declared that Queensland Rail will succeed!  Lets expand the the network, buy a few locomotives, get freight back on the trains that matter ...  He perhaps suggested that 'privatistation/franchise' is not the best thing ' moving forwards ' ..

LNP moles get p%ssed  off.  Because, this is not in there perceived self interest, stuff the community.

So Ms. Gluer is the new CEO of QR.  Hold on folks,  I have no issue with Ms Gluer in terms of management expertise, but really? CEO of an operational railway?  The Fat Controller is more qualified.

I hope you have booked on the Westlander and Inlander.  They will not last long ...

Stillwater

Coming on top of the Caltabiano affair, this is serious stuff.  QR staff must be left wandering around looking for direction.  Unfortunately, it seems to be coming from politicians.  QR is accountable to the government through Mr Emerson -- he doesn't run the shop.  Obviously, there is an agenda being hatched in the background.  So much for transparent and open government.

ozbob

Quote from: Stillwater on January 10, 2014, 19:18:21 PM
Coming on top of the Caltabiano affair, this is serious stuff.  QR staff must be left wandering around looking for direction.  Unfortunately, it seems to be coming from politicians.  QR is accountable to the government through Mr Emerson -- he doesn't run the shop.  Obviously, there is an agenda being hatched in the background.  So much for transparent and open government.

It is without doubt, very very odd. From the Premier down bizzare political bullsh%t, Queenslanders deserve a proper and accurate explanation of what in the f**** has actually  been going on ...

Emerson is a Segway show pony, clearly ... the facts speak for themselves ... cannot even sort the fare system, which is a no-brainer in actuality ..

Stillwater

The normal course of action to follow is for an employer to allow sick or compassionate leave for an employee having to deal with personal matters.  After all, they don't want to lose a good operator.  It serves the business well to allow the person time to deal with a sudden bereavement, or round of medical tests, or whatever, so they can devout energies to that matter rather than be distracted at work.

Not so with Mr Dawe.  Ms Glaur is not keeping the seat warm.  She is there while a permanent replacement is found in four months time.  Exit Mr Dawe.

Interesting also that the government timed this announcement for a Friday, traditionally a day of tight deadlines for media.  The government would appear to be banking on the fact that the print media won't have time to dig into this story -- merely print the facts as the government present them.

The cynical calculation is that this story will become 'old news' quickly and the media circus will move on next week.  Hopefully, the Brisbane media is smarter than that.

ozbob

STB

Hmm, why do I get the feeling that the Premier and moreso the Transport Minister are not the ones in charge of Qld...?

Stillwater

First, LNP, loped the genitalia of Translink and brought it under the department (then headed by Mr Caltibiano, a personal friend of the Premier and a political operative) -- a department responsible to the minister.  Then is took away QR's independence, as a stand-alone state-owned corporation and made it a statutory authority, also directly answerable to the minister.  Clearly, the government (read politicians) wants to keep QR on a short leash.  Mr Emerson is not winning out in the Ministry -- he takes his orders from Tim Nicholls, Mr Seeney and the Premier.

ozbob

Now tell me, is there a problem with the fares in SEQ?

Stillwater

LOL, is Mr Emerson really a crash test dummy?

ozbob

Quote from: STB on January 10, 2014, 20:26:27 PM
Hmm, why do I get the feeling that the Premier and moreso the Transport Minister are not the ones in charge of Qld...?

Because, perhaps they are not?

James

My two cents. LNP is trying to get the person it wants in the job, not the best person for the job (in other words, someone who will say yes to service cuts). I agree with the ALP's press release (goodness, me agreeing with something the ALP is saying). The CEO position at QR should not be a revolving door position, and really we should be told why all these people are coming and going.

Transparency has never been a strong point in Queensland for either government though, not even a million segways will change that.

Quote from: STB on January 10, 2014, 20:26:27 PM

Scott Emerson has never been in charge. I thought that was apparent when the bus review got shot to pieces by Transport Minister Graham Quirk.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

#Metro

QuoteMy two cents. LNP is trying to get the person it wants in the job, not the best person for the job (in other words, someone who will say yes to service cuts). I agree with the ALP's press release (goodness, me agreeing with something the ALP is saying). The CEO position at QR should not be a revolving door position, and really we should be told why all these people are coming and going.

Transparency has never been a strong point in Queensland for either government though, not even a million segways will change that.

Disagree here. Your claim is in direct contradiction to the largest ever service upgrade in QR's history on Jan 20th. I think something is going on and there perhaps is some ill will about Dawe being chosen and the process being overridden to get him in? This is pure speculation on my part.

If QR Passenger were to be privatized as a train operating company then the CEO would be chosen by the company and there would be none of this musical chairs or nepotism nonsense. Private companies are under profit, not political, control and are there to maximise shareholder return rather than maximise marginal votes and pay off political / nepot interests. Putting inexperienced people in top jobs would be a huge cost/risk for any company, it would not happen.

Maybe someone Ex-BCC is going to be parachuted into the seat? Would not surprise me!!
Tim Quinn? Sallyanne Atkinson?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

James

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on January 10, 2014, 22:50:43 PMDisagree here. Your claim is in direct contradiction to the largest ever service upgrade in QR's history on Jan 20th. I think something is going on and there perhaps is some ill will about Dawe being chosen and the process being overridden to get him in? This is pure speculation on my part.

If QR Passenger were to be privatized as a train operating company then the CEO would be chosen by the company and there would be none of this musical chairs or nepotism nonsense. Private companies are under profit, not political, control and are there to maximise shareholder return rather than maximise marginal votes and pay off political / nepot interests. Putting inexperienced people in top jobs would be a huge cost/risk for any company, it would not happen.

Outback service cuts - cuts to the TravelTrain division (where the carriages are due for replacement, the service is getting worn and very rarely turning a profit) were a big one of note.

Given the way the government seems to run things, I really doubt anybody who is truly a 'world class' CEO would want to come anywhere near the current government.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

STB

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on January 10, 2014, 22:50:43 PM
QuoteMy two cents. LNP is trying to get the person it wants in the job, not the best person for the job (in other words, someone who will say yes to service cuts). I agree with the ALP's press release (goodness, me agreeing with something the ALP is saying). The CEO position at QR should not be a revolving door position, and really we should be told why all these people are coming and going.

Disagree here. Your claim is in direct contradiction to the largest ever service upgrade in QR's history on Jan 20th. I think something is going on and there perhaps is some ill will about Dawe being chosen and the process being overridden to get him in? This is pure speculation on my part.

Maybe someone Ex-BCC is going to be parachuted into the seat? Would not surprise me!!
Tim Quinn? Sallyanne Atkinson?

The thing is though, it was never LNP policy to implement a 15min frequency (aka Sector II) and in fact nor was it their policy to  consult on the timetable.  QR themselves said that.  The 15min frequency was an ALP initiated thing, along with the NGR units and Springfield, and I suspect pressure was put on the LNP at high levels to go ahead with the Sector II timetables.

I suppose that the LNP felt that they were boxed into a corner at least in terms of the railway network, and I suppose that this is a statement that they want more yes men within QR for their own political purposes.

#Metro

QuoteThe thing is though, it was never LNP policy to implement a 15min frequency

Disagree.

Quotehttps://lnp.org.au/revitalise-front-line-services/improved-train-frequency/

LNP Policy Commitments:

• $18 million to double daytime off-peak services on the Ferny Grove line on weekdays

• If this two year trial is successful expand to other lines

• Deliver a public transport system that is reliable, frequent, safe and affordable for passengers

• Provide real fare relief for regular commuters by reintroducing discounted weekly fares on go cards

I'm not interested in apportioning credit, I think that is a useless exercise in splitting hairs retrospectively. They did get on top of the bus fiasco until BCC came in and torpedoed the entire process.

It irritates me to no end to see all the stupid game playing in PT. Just run the damn thing properly!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

STB

Quote from: Lapdog Transit on January 11, 2014, 00:13:07 AM
QuoteThe thing is though, it was never LNP policy to implement a 15min frequency

Disagree.

Quotehttps://lnp.org.au/revitalise-front-line-services/improved-train-frequency/

LNP Policy Commitments:

• $18 million to double daytime off-peak services on the Ferny Grove line on weekdays

• Deliver a public transport system that is reliable, frequent, safe and affordable for passengers

• Provide real fare relief for regular commuters by reintroducing discounted weekly fares on go cards

I'm not interested in apportioning credit, I think that is a useless exercise in splitting hairs retrospectively. They did get on top of the bus fiasco until BCC came in and torpedoed the entire process.

It irritates me to no end to see all the stupid game playing in PT. Just run the damn thing properly!

You were not in the high level meetings though with QR.  QR has contradicted this.

Also I can confirm that this was initiated way back in 2008/09, not when the LNP got elected.

ozbob

One wonders why Mr Benstead, who was the acting CEO from December 2011 to August 2013, was not simply put back into an acting role until a new CEO appointed.

I think this confirms that some political shenanigans are going on ..

Stillwater

Benstead is competent.   Bizarrely, they have replaced someone supposedly coping with 'personal matters' with someone who a couple of months ago resigned to better cope with personal matters of their own.  Makes you wonder about stress levels in the public service when senior staff have to go against their own better judgement to implement crazy thinking coming from the Minister's office.  Ministerial offices set broad policy.  Day-to-day operational matters are the province of public service professionals.

Derwan

Quote from: Stillwater on January 11, 2014, 08:15:05 AM
Ministerial offices set broad policy.  Day-to-day operational matters are the province of public service professionals.

We wish!!
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

longboi

Here's something to think about...

The State Government have made it clear they want to introduce more competitive tendering for contracts.

With that in mind, why do you think the Government would so readily allow BT to continue operating non-competitively? Have you ever heard of the saying "give the dog a bone"?

Secondly, why would the Government be so intent on increasing their control over Queensland Rail (which they own)?

Finally, considering high-profile union opposition to decisions made by the previous Government, why would this Government want to keep a tight lid on their intentions and reasoning behind these decisions?

These are only personal speculations, of course. However to me there is a clear direction where things are heading.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: STB on January 11, 2014, 01:39:03 AM
Quote from: Lapdog Transit on January 11, 2014, 00:13:07 AM

Disagree.

LNP Policy Commitments:

You were not in the high level meetings though with QR.  QR has contradicted this.

Also I can confirm that this was initiated way back in 2008/09, not when the LNP got elected.

Smoke and mirrors really. I think you are also a year or two to late. IIRC 15 mins initially got momentum somewhere back in 2007-2008 during the initial Springfield Line plans/Beenleigh and Gold Coast line/Nambour line mods and additional rollingstock acquisition but got "delayed" or "postponed" along with several other key considerations that were being considered around the same time such as signaling upgrades, new stabling facilities and station mods to help facilitate improvement in the existing network at that time.  Translink had its hands tied. QR was in the same boat with Translink. Massive amounts was wasted on infrastructure - both for the rail and bus network that could have been spent on providing services/network mods. A lot of the time that was because of the politics involved. They sat on their hands for so long that the LNP deserving took advantage. It's just a shame that politics is having such a massive effect on our PT network.

#Metro

With that in mind, why do you think the Government would so readily allow BT to continue operating non-competitively? Have you ever heard of the saying "give the dog a bone"?

Careful work is needed in getting the bus contracts right because you only get one chance to get it right. When you buy something from a Monopoly (BT) of course the price is going to go high...

Stillwater

Perhaps Mr Dawe had 'personal problems' with plans along these lines:

Shut down the Westlander and Inlander trains and canibalise their rolling stock to keep the SOHO going

Put the SOHO on notice that it will go too unless passenger numbers improve, possibly with a view to selling the train and a train path to Great Southern Rail, or similar

Sell Kuranda tourist rail to the highest bidder

Focus on Tilt Train services, maybe also selling off those operations under a decreasing subsidy arrangement to a private sector operator employing staff under an enterprise bargaining agreement, or rationalising frequency.

#Metro

This.is.so.predictable.

Earlier comment...
QuoteMaybe someone Ex-BCC is going to be parachuted into the seat? Would not surprise me!!

And what do I see when I look on the profile....

Helen Gluer - A/ Chief Executive Officer
Helen has an extensive and diverse career, with more than 28 years experience gained in the banking, financial, transport and infrastructure industries.

Helen served as Under Treasurer for the Queensland Government and as Director-General of Health Corporate Services (HSCA). Prior roles include Chief Executive Officer of Stanwell Corporation and Tarong Energy – where she maintained a strong focus on safety - and as Chief Financial Officer for Brisbane City Council.

During her career, Helen has held numerous Board positions and directorships including Director of Brisbane Airport Corporation Pty, TransLink Transit Authority and as Chair of the Central Queensland Ports Authority.

Helen is an Adjunct Professor at the Queensland University of Technology with a previous appointment as Deputy Chancellor and Council member for the Queensland University of Technology. She has also been involved in community issues as a Trustee of the Lord Mayor's Community Disaster Relief Appeal Fund and a member of the Local Government Remuneration Tribunal.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

13th January 2014

Call for state government to end transport meddling

The short-term tenure of Mr Michael Caltabiano, a former politician and personal friend of the Premier to the position of Director-General of the Department of Transport and Main Roads, and the more recent sudden departure of Mr Glen Dawe as CEO of Queensland Rail are perhaps signs of a government determined to ensure direct political control of the transport sector and to eliminate those who stand in the way of that objective.

The best outcome is not being reached for commuters and the QR workforce by having continually changing CEOs and the Newman Government should provide an in-depth explanation as to why Mr Dawe has resigned as CEO so quickly.

Has the government an agenda to rationalise Queensland Travel Train services to regional Queensland, with severe consequences for the communities served?  This is at a time when the government is seeking to advance a policy of population decentralisation.

It is time for the mayors of Queensland communities and bodies representing the transport sector to call on the government to spell out is agenda, priorities and funding intentions for major transport infrastructure, but most especially rail and passenger rail.

In SEQ, the level and structure of fares is clearly failing, with a drop in patronage under way.  Failure to release up-to-date patronage data would suggest the government has something to hide.

Queenslanders are only just coming to grips with the implications of the Queensland Rail Transit Authority Bill 2013, which ended Queensland Rail's autonomy as a government-owned corporation and made it a statutory authority under direct ministerial control.  Board members of Queensland Rail, as an Authority controlled by the government, are beholden to the government for their appointments.

We call on industry to seek clarification, and changes if necessary, around sweeping provisions of the bill that allows ministers to interfere directly in QR operational matters.

Clause 14 provides that: the Authority must have a board, but that the board does not constitute the Authority.

Clause 12 provides that: the responsible Ministers (being the Treasurer and the Minister administering the Act) can give the Authority written directions in relation to the Authority and its subsidiaries. The Authority must comply with the direction and, as far as practicable, the Board must ensure the Authority and subsidiary comply with a direction.

Clause 54 provides that: responsible Ministers may, at any time, give the Authority a written direction about the payment or transfer of an asset or liability to, or withdrawal or transfer of an asset or liability from, the Authority's equity. The Authority must comply with the direction.

This last provision represents a direct threat to the continuation of the Westlander and Inlander passenger rail services, we believe.

As the government goes about planning its 2014-15 state Budget, it is clear that the Newman Government wants a tight rein on the QR Board and senior managers and wants to direct those people, even against their professional judgement, in order to achieve its political ends.

This has led to uncertainty and instability at the top at a crucial time for the organisation.  Queensland's urban and long-haul railways are vital to the state's economic, industrial and social well-being.

Mayors and industry should seek a transport sector summit with the Newman Government to restore confidence in the institutions that plan, fund and operate rail and the provision of transport infrastructure generally.

Coming on top of the Caltabiano affair and the sudden departure of Mr Dawe, a true railway man, we can only wonder about the behind-the-scene machinations where the government and politicians have absolute power.

Clearly, this must end.

More information:
https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/Bills/54PDF/2013/QldRailTransAuthorityB13E.pdf

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Stillwater

Interesting that Campbell Newman has not ruled out a Cabinet reshuffle while stating that an election will be held in 2015, not 2014.

Clearly, Mr Emerson will have to tread carefully, particularly since he will have to manage news of the government's long-distance passenger review:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and-transport/qconnect/Review-of-long-distance-passenger-services.aspx

An outcome is expected shortly.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on January 10, 2014, 10:42:19 AM
http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2014/1/10/queensland-rail-appoint-acting-ceo

Acting Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Lawrence Springborg
Friday, January 10, 2014

Queensland Rail appoint acting CEO

Former Queensland Under Treasurer Helen Gluer has been appointed as acting CEO of Queensland Rail.

Acting Transport and Main Roads Minister Lawrence Springborg said Ms Gluer, who broke new ground as the first female Under Treasurer and is a former TransLink board member, will replace Glen Dawe who has stood down to attend to personal matters.

"Helen is one of the most respected senior managers in Queensland and I look forward to her continuing the improvements we've seen in Queensland Rail since coming to government," Mr Springborg said.

"Queensland Rail is now a more efficient organisation, finding much needed savings to allow the Newman Government to deliver its promise to halve Labor's fare hikes and save regular passengers hundreds of dollars a year.

"From January 20 we will be fulfilling our promise to improve frequency with an additional 200 daily services.

"In a short space of time Queensland Rail has also gone from being one of the worst performing passenger networks in Australia to the best in terms of on-time running."

Under Labor on-time running fell to a three-year low of 86 per cent, compared to the 10-year high of 96 per cent in 2013.

Queensland Rail chairman Michael Klug said Ms Gluer would fill the role for four months while a full-time CEO was found.

"I'd also like to thank Glen for his service, both as Queensland Rail chair from July 2012 to June 2013 and as CEO since August last year," Mr Klug said.

[ENDS] 10 January 2014

Forgetting all speculation re: Mr Glen Dawe (former CEO of Queensland Rail), I just hope and pray that he and his family are well.

The Sunshine Coast commuter has a lot to be grateful for, from Mr Dawe.

During his tenure - rail reliability on our line reached an all time high and he was quick to respond to concerns whether they be dirty ICE train upholstery, broken seats, toilets on trains or dilapidated and dangerous temporary platforms which were repaired, literally almost overnight.

On behalf of Sunshine Coast commuters, thank you Mr Dawe.
We wish you all the very best for the future.

Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Second your comments FF.  Mr Dawe constructively engaged, understood railway operations and the results speak for themselves.  Thank you Mr Dawe.

It is a very sad fact of life that petty polyticks is the main determinate of public transport policy in Queensland and elsewhere in Australia.  It is high time that the proper agencies were allowed to just get on with it without constant political interference.

I hope the ambitious plans for celebrating 150 years of Queensland Rail are not derailed by Mr Dawe's departure.

ozbob

Twitter

Spencer Howson ‏@SpencerHowson 1m

This is becoming a farce. We may need you back in Brisbane @PDScurrah! http://twitpic.com/dvk2ds

ozbob

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson

Queensland Rail appoints CEO

Former Under Treasurer Helen Gluer will extend her role as CEO of Queensland Rail for a further one year, after accepting an offer from the board.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said Ms Gluer was one of the most respected executives in the state and welcomed her on-going role leading the important reforms at Queensland Rail.

"It's great news for Queenslanders that Helen has accepted the board's offer to extend her time in charge of Queensland Rail for at least another year," Mr Emerson said.

"During the past two years Queensland Rail has made significant improvement in key areas such as reliability and frequency with 1000 additional weekly services and some of the best on time running in its history.

"We recognise the need for on-going improvements for Queensland Rail to become the best performing railway in Australia.

"Helen has demonstrated her ability to guide the organisation through change with strong leadership."

Ms Gluer said she was pleased to accept the role.

"I am hugely impressed by what I have seen so far and am excited to continue working toward more successes in the future," she said.

The total remuneration package for the CEO contract is $700,000.

🡱 🡳