• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Public transport fare concessions for tertiary students

Started by ozbob, January 31, 2014, 05:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techblitz

Quote from: STB on February 02, 2014, 22:38:23 PM
A petition on change.org is now going against these changes, targeting the minimum 12 hours for face to face and how that is out of touch to how universities work and that it will cause a severe impact if the changes go ahead as worded.  Currently sitting just over 1000 signatures and growing fast.

could easily beat the 2014 fares petition....will be intersting :clp:

aldonius

As far as I can tell, you'll need to show your TTCC from July when they check your concession go card (rather than your student ID).

Golliwog

Just to question something, but if you now need this TTCC to be eligible for a Student Go card, does that mean students will have to travel on an Adult go card until they go to uni, fill out this form, get it endorsed, send it Translink, wait the expected two weeks, then take their new card down to the local go card retailer and get the student card?

If above is indeed what is going to happen then that's just complete bollocks. I mean, the whole reason as I saw it for giving students a discount is they're meant to be working hard at their studies and so have little time to fit in paid work. But now we have to assume they're rorting it so they get nothing until they have this new stupid card. Ridiculous.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

STB

Quote from: Golliwog on February 02, 2014, 23:29:11 PM
Just to question something, but if you now need this TTCC to be eligible for a Student Go card, does that mean students will have to travel on an Adult go card until they go to uni, fill out this form, get it endorsed, send it Translink, wait the expected two weeks, then take their new card down to the local go card retailer and get the student card?

If above is indeed what is going to happen then that's just complete bollocks. I mean, the whole reason as I saw it for giving students a discount is they're meant to be working hard at their studies and so have little time to fit in paid work. But now we have to assume they're rorting it so they get nothing until they have this new stupid card. Ridiculous.

With about 200 thousand students roughly all applying for the card at the same time, you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't be able to issue the cards within two weeks!  Those with 11.5hrs or less of university contact hours (say a lecture goes for 2hrs instead of 3 with no tutorial), you'll find full time students having to pay adult fares but doing the same workloads.  Absolute di%k move by TransLink and the Government.

HappyTrainGuy

Is it actually a Translink move or once again has someone higher up forced the change so operators/Translink cop the flack?

Can't they just link it all together with 1 student/translink smart card rather than go through all this trouble? If not surely some sort of process could be created during enrollment where the uni/tafe send translink these details (could be done at the same time when creating their student ID) where their student id details/institution/photograph could be printed on the card. If the student cancels their enrollment etc that info can be forwarded to translink who can suspend their concession card. That process could even be done by the institutions themselves during the same time as they make their student IDs. Send them a bunch of blank cards, they print the details on the card, give the institution a gocard activation terminal (not able to top up) and then the student could pop into any top up facility to put money on their card.

joninbrisbane

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Many tertiary students lose Translink discount

QuoteMany tertiary students lose Translink discount
Date February 3, 2014 - 12:01AM
Marissa Calligeros

Cash-strapped university students say the Queensland government is robbing them of the public transport discounts they deserve after altering the definition of a full-time student.

Queensland tertiary students will be required to apply for a Tertiary Transport Concession Card from March 3, under reforms to combat fare rorting announced by Transport Minister Scott Emerson on Friday.

But students enrolled in a course with less than 12 contact hours per week will not be eligible for the card, even if their workload is classified as full-time by their education institution and Centrelink.

"The state government has just decided to create their own definition of a full-time student," Queensland University of Technology Student Guild president Courtney Mulder said.
Advertisement

"What they don't understand is that a lot of courses that the federal government and universities deem full-time, actually have less than 12 on-campus contact hours."

Students are required to fill out an application form, have it authorised by their university and then email or mail it to the Transport Department for final approval.

Currently, students are only required to present their university-issued student ID card when purchasing a Go Card or paper ticket.

Student ID cards are often valid for five years, regardless of whether a student graduates in that time, drops out or defers their studies.

The new concession cards must be renewed every 12 months, but are not available to part-time students or those studying externally, online or via correspondence.

Many students have taken to social media and online forums to voice their frustration.

"I'm studying a full time law degree, with one of my lectures being delivered online. Due to that, I'm apparently not a full time student and will not qualify for cheaper transport," one student said.

Another wrote: "Last semester I had 14 [contact] hours, but was only on campus for three days. This semester I'm only at 11.5 hours, but my timetable is spread over four days. I'm on campus more often, travelling more often, but apparently no longer a full-time student."

Others have raised concerns about the extra administration costs.

"So, in the time between the start of semester (last week of Feb), and 3rd March, tens of thousands of uni and tafe students need to get a form processed by both the uni admins and a government organisation. And this will save money? Are they dreaming?" one student wrote.

Robert Dow of commuter lobby group Rail Back on Track said the "poorly thought through" restrictions would make life more difficult for struggling students.

"There will always be a few who are abusing, but the vast majority are in struggle street," he said.

"The standard definition of a full time student is three or more subjects per semester. This is the only way that equity will be achieved for the TTCC."

Universities were informed of the change last week, but students will be afforded a six-month fine amnesty to adjust to the new system.

Mr Emerson said the changes would bring Queensland in line with New South Wales and Victoria.

He said too many public transport users had been falsely claiming to be full-time university students in order to receive the 50 per cent discount.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/many-tertiary-students-lose-translink-discount-20140202-31v08.html
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

3 February 2014

Re: Queensland: Tertiary Transport Concession Card concerns

Greetings,

As you may know, I am a retired academic (QUT).  I spent a number of years as a course coordinator as well.  Doing that you become very familiar with the sheer struggle many students have.

My family members still participate in teaching at university.  We regularly give food eg. groceries and that to the student groups.  It all helps.

Making life even more difficult through the poorly thought out TTCC is going to seriously rebound on the authorities is my guess.

It is time that a broom was put through Transport in Queensland.  The fare fail that SEQ is being subjected too is mediocrity in the extreme.

We expect more from our elected representatives and the bureaucracy.  The TTCC as it stands is just going to cause massive hardship and even more social dislocation.   Policy blunder of the highest order!

Students who are internal full time should be given the concession.  There will always be a few who are abusing, but the vast majority are in struggle street.

The standard definition of a full time student is 3 or more subjects per semester.  This is the only way that equity will be achieved for the TTCC.

See the following links for some of the building foment and rage over this issue:

http://www.reddit.com/r/brisbane/comments/1wowur/the_new_translink_concession_card_only_available/

http://www.reddit.com/r/brisbane/comments/1wsd8o/students_angered_over_changes_to_public_transport/

http://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/1wsdml/fulltime_students_in_qld_studying_less_than_12/

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-02/students-angered-over-changes-to-travel-concessions-in-seq/5233152

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/many-tertiary-students-lose-translink-discount-20140202-31v08.html

Quote from: ozbob on February 01, 2014, 03:30:29 AM
Media release 1st February 2014

Queensland: Tertiary Transport Concession Card concerns

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has said the recently announced Tertiary Transport Concession Card (TTCC) is overly complex and restrictive.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"RAIL Back On Track is strongly supportive of all moves to address fare evasion.  Using concession ticketing on public transport when not entitled to do so is fare evasion."

"Tightening up the access to concession public transport by tertiary sector students is needed. However the present definition of what constitutes a full time student in the the context of the TTCC may actually exclude many full time students (1). Many students may be full time and not actually do a minimum 12 hours on formal campus course-work. Group work, blended learning options, study,  assignment research and preparation add on to campus hours, and are all additional to work experience, and are all things that do add to the students load."

"Universities classify students as full time if a normal semester subject load is 3 or more subjects.  This is administratively straightforward and is line with other jurisdictions (2,3). This should be the basis for the TTCC."

"For the purposes of the TTCC the students' institution should be able to verify the students' enrolment status as full time.  Any other approach is administratively overly complex, will unnecessarily penalise many full time students and further cause hardship for an already struggling demographic, particularly in SEQ with one of the worlds most expensive fare systems."

References:

1. http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/tertiary-transport-card

2. http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/content/travel-concessions-tertiary-students

3. http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/TicketsandFares/SmartRider/BuyingSmartRider/TertiarySmartRiders.aspx

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Transport Minister to be on 612ABC Radio after 7.30am this morning.

12 hours has been a rule for some time, but under the TTCC criteria as it is will exclude as this is rule is no longer valid with the way education has changed.

TMR --> http://t.co/Jc4LsATBA6

Post Graduate included in this document ...

ozbob

Minister has said if the University/Institution deems student as full time this is accepted for TTCC.  Thanks!

12 hour rule to be changed.  Minister will direct TransLink.

Victory!

ozbob

Twitter

Scott Emerson ‏@scottemersonmp

If your university deems you to be a full time student then you will receive a concession for public transport.

Arnz

Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

612 ABC Brisbane Breakfast with Spencer Howson

Transport Minister backs away from definition of full time student

03 February 2014 , 9:09 AM by Spencer Howson

On Friday the state government announced changes to student concession on public transport.

University students will have to apply for a Tertiary Transport Concession Card, that will be valid for 12 months and only for students with 12 or more contact hours each week.

Over the weekend there's been growing discontent in the student community as it's dawned on more people what these changes will mean. Scott Emerson is the Minister for Transport and Main Roads:

Click --> here!

ozbob

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions

QuoteTertiary/post-secondary full-time students

This information is currently being updated. Please check back later.

:)

STB

Excellent decision by Scott Emerson (something I never thought I'd say, but there you go).  Now can we focus on the real reason of the rorting, the extraordinary high fares and cr%p fare structure. :)

ozbob

ozbob

STB

Quote from: ozbob on February 03, 2014, 14:25:36 PM
Couriermail --> Students may need three cards to board public transport under moves to end go card rort

FFS, I swear the CM is an LNP mouthpiece when they are stating that there was confusion over the policy.  No Courier Mail, there was zero confusion, it was clear as day, people retaliated on bad policy and won.  Get it right!  ::)

Arnz

They've updated the student definition.  Now in line with the National & Centrelink standards.

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/tertiary-transport-card

Quotebe a full time student enrolled on an internal basis.
To be considered full time:

a university student must be enrolled full time, as deemed by their university; or
    students attending an institution other than a university must be enrolled in a course of study requiring at least 12 hours per week of classes for a minimum course duration of 12 weeks.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

longboi

What did I say people?
Listen to the voice of reason and you'll be fine.

@aldonius, Unfortunately it will be all three cards;

1) The TTCC "confirms" eligibility
2) Your student ID has your photo
3) Your go card...well that's straightforward.

So anyway, yes...there are actually a suite of measures being undertaken to step up revenue protection. Instigated from above, of course, in their desire to "find efficiencies" and "cut costs".
My take is that this whole TTCC thing will have a limited lifespan. There are two other things at play right now and once they're sorted out, then an integrated student/go card will be next likely incarnation.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Arnz on February 03, 2014, 19:10:18 PM
They've updated the student definition.  Now in line with the National & Centrelink standards.

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/tertiary-transport-card

Quotebe a full time student enrolled on an internal basis.
To be considered full time:

a university student must be enrolled full time, as deemed by their university; or
    students attending an institution other than a university must be enrolled in a course of study requiring at least 12 hours per week of classes for a minimum course duration of 12 weeks.

Thank you Arnz,

How will this control my colleague at work who is legitimately studying whilst full-time employed and only paying 50% fares - all while saying he will enrol in enough subjects to get the card and then defer or drop out of the course?
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

^ there will always be a few who abuse the system.  I think though the majority of legitimate full timers will be better off with these new definitions. 

The intention is that TransLink will be notified if enrolment changes from full time.  The institutions have this responsibility, and with the student IT admin systems is not hard to generate a report of enrolment status changes.

ozbob

Letter to the Editor Queensland Times 4th February 2014 page 9  NB:  this was written prior to the 12 hour reversal for university students.

Most students on ' Struggle Street'

ozbob

Reminder ..

U-Pass Sunshine Coast University

The U-Pass Sponsored go Card is an Australian-first public transport trial that ultimately aims to combine the Student ID card with the TransLink go card.

--> http://www.usc.edu.au/university/campus-and-facilities/maps-transport-and-parking/transport/public-transport/u-pass-frequently-asked-questions

bcasey

I was wondering, how much is the TTCC scheme going to cost the government, compared to the amount of money they are losing from people who are currently evading full fares via this method (about $8 million from what the minister said).

Fortunately I've completed my studies, so I won't have to deal with this, but I definitely understand the money troubles that many uni students have to go through, having dealt with it myself, and empathise with them having to deal with the expensive fares these days, amongst other things.

Derwan

I think it's important to remember that this is only required because ex students deliberately travel under a concession that they know they're not entitled to.

If everyone did the right thing, this wouldn't be necessary.

So for students who are angry about having to carry 3 cards, blame the fare evaders, not the QLD government.

At the same time it's good to highlight the extreme cost of fares and propose better solutions to manage concessions.  :)

I personally prefer the idea of a health care concession card entitling a concession.  This means that any low-income earner (student, unemployed, single parents, etc) would be entitled to a concession - while someone working a significant number of hours and also studying "full time" wouldn't be eligible.  They can afford to pay full fares!
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Arnz

As I've said before HCC(Unemployed)+Go Card should be combined with the details fowarded to CentreLink. 

That way should the recipient either obtain employment and earns over the fortnight threshold that disqualifies them from the payment, or has not been meeting their obligations (as in skipping interviews or working for the dole) CentreLink can automatically change the combined HCC/Go Card from a Concession Go Card to a Adult Go Card with a few clicks to TransLink.
Rgds,
Arnz

STB

Quote from: Derwan on February 04, 2014, 11:56:46 AM
I think it's important to remember that this is only required because ex students deliberately travel under a concession that they know they're not entitled to.

If everyone did the right thing, this wouldn't be necessary.

So for students who are angry about having to carry 3 cards, blame the fare evaders, not the QLD government.

At the same time it's good to highlight the extreme cost of fares and propose better solutions to manage concessions.  :)

I personally prefer the idea of a health care concession card entitling a concession.  This means that any low-income earner (student, unemployed, single parents, etc) would be entitled to a concession - while someone working a significant number of hours and also studying "full time" wouldn't be eligible.  They can afford to pay full fares!

I can tell you right now that students generally hold onto the concession Go Cards and student ID cards due to the high fares and that most students don't have employment as soon as they graduate.  I wouldn't call them fare evaders per se, more just exploiting the system due to them being on extremely low incomes (even lower than job seekers).  For them, it's not much of a choice, at least until the TTCC kicks in.

EDIT: Just to add, a lot of students switch to Newstart once they finish university, however Centrelink can take weeks to process the claims (last time I switched from Austudy to Newstart it took about a month), and during that time they have no income coming in whatsoever, so whatever concession they can get, they need it!

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: ozbob on February 04, 2014, 06:28:47 AM
^ there will always be a few who abuse the system.  I think though the majority of legitimate full timers will be better off with these new definitions.

An old mate told me there's a couple high school kids she sees since the school term started that constantly boards buses with "insufficient funds" displayed. Apparently on one occasion the driver had recoginsed her and called her back after it flashed red and demanded that she pay for a ticket. Which she did.

Gotta love that rort.

James

A Facebook page has been set up called Students Against the TTCC. Some of the stuff being pedalled in the page's description is pretty dumb. Only has around 200 likes though, so I don't see it taking off.

I made my own long-winded response to the page's concerns about the TTCC. The TTCC in its current form is fine, a good stop-gap between now and when go cards are eventually integrated with student cards. I look forward to that day too. There are far too many RFID cards in my wallet...
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

techblitz

Its only been up for 2 days :conf....uni yet to hit full swing and then when everything is intitiated...thats when the group explodes.....
Gotta love these facebook groups....

longboi

QUT emailed all students 2-3 days ago regarding the TTCC (including a link to the form) and has started accepting TTCC applications in person or via email.

ozbob

Assistant Minister for Public Transport
Mr Steve Minnikin

Tertiary students reminded of changes

Tertiary students who are returning to study across south east Queensland from next week are reminded to include public transport into their back-to-study planning.

Assistant Minister for Public Transport Steve Minnikin said Translink staff would be on campus at universities in the lead up to semester one to assist students.

"The Tertiary Transport Concession Card in south east Queensland will be a change for many students and I encourage them to speak to TransLink staff at their campus or visit the TransLink website for information," Mr Minnikin said.

"TransLink staff will be on site at major universities in the lead up to the start of semester with information about the new card, including details about the application process.

"There is a transitional period until June 30 when we will be educating students about the new card.

"Some students' bus and train services may also have changed this year, following the addition of 200 extra train services and changes to TransLink's bus network coming into effect in January."

Mr Minnikin reminded students that using a go card was the cheapest way to travel to and from campus and encouraged all full-time students to check the expiry dates of their concession go cards before the start of semester.

"Full-time students who travel in off-peak times, on weekends and on public holidays can save a further 20 per cent on their already half-priced go card fare, and travel becomes free after nine paid journeys from Monday to Sunday," he said.

"You can buy, top up and manage your go card at hundreds of locations across the network, including many Queensland Rail stations, some busway stations, selected newsagents and many 7-Eleven stores."

For information on the Tertiary Transport Concession Card, to plan your journey, or for more information about public transport, visit www.translink.com.au or call TransLink on 13 12 30, anytime.

TransLink staff will attending University of Queensland (St Lucia), QUT Gardens Point campus, University of Queensland (Ipswich campus), Australian Catholic University (Banyo campus), University of the Sunshine Coast, QUT (Kelvin Grove campus), Griffith University (South Bank campus), Griffith University (Gold Coast), Griffith University (Mount Gravatt campus), Griffith University (Logan campus) and Griffith University (Nathan campus).

[ENDS] 21 February 2014

tuxcomputers

Old thread but I am p%ssed  off by this stupid sh%t today.

My son starts Uni in second semester. He just got his Student ID today so it was not even possible for him to apply for the TTCC before today. We got a Tertiary card that expires at the end of the month! WTF?

A mate of mine applied on the 21st Feb, not a peep from the useless idiots at the Transport Dept since. So my son will be forced to use the full fare Adult card while attending Uni because the  Minister wanted to make a big announcement about "savings"?

How much is the cost of the TTCC against the fare evaders?

I have the ability to alter the expiry date because I am on the inside but what about the people that aren't?

There was a way to go about this that would have been 10,000% better and easier.

ozbob

dancingmongoose

Question. My Student ID expires on the 1st of July, and so my go-card will too. I have a job interview on the same day. Will I still be able to use my go-card that day? If so, I would ask if I need a TTCC but there's not much point getting it for one day and it won't even turn up on time either :P

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson

New card stamps out transport rort

As many as 65,000 people could be fined for fare evading following the introduction of the Queensland Government's Tertiary Transport Concession Card.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the new card was brought in to crack down on public transport users falsely claiming to be full-time university students in order to receive half-price fares.

"While we estimate 85,000 students are eligible for a concession in South East Queensland, almost double that number or about 150,000 people have used a Tertiary student go card this year," Mr Emerson said.

"While we have a strong plan for a brighter future, Labor has no plan and was prepared to sit back and allow this rort to continue, costing taxpayers almost $8 million a year.

"For years, passengers have raised concerns about "students in suits" where former students who are no longer enrolled in full-time courses continue to use their old ID to get cheap travel.

"That is unfair to honest passengers and rorting puts more upward pressure on fares.

"The LNP Government has ended Labor's policy of annual 15 per cent fare increases with the recent budget capping fare increases for the next three years at 2.5 per cent - below the inflation rate - and we are determined to stamp out rorting as well.

"We applaud the 65,000 students who have done the right thing and applied for a Tertiary Transport Concession Card and encourage other eligible students to apply now."

Mr Emerson said from Tuesday (July 1) anyone caught catching public transport on a concession fare without this card will be fined.

"Senior Network Officers have been handing out information to students advising them about the need to get the new cards since it was introduced earlier this year," he said.

"The grace period is now up and if you do the wrong thing on our network you will be caught and risk fines of up to $227."

Status as a full-time internal student is now determined by universities after the LNP ended Labor's policy of requiring university student's to attend at least 12 hours of contact time to be classed as full-time.

For more information on the Tertiary Transport Concession Card, visit the TransLink website www.translink.com.au/tertiarycard or phone 13 12 30.

[ENDS] 30 June 2014

🡱 🡳