Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: New TransLink Journey Planner  (Read 7673 times)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
New TransLink Journey Planner
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
A new journey planner is now available.  Any issues etc. please post.

http://www.translink.com.au/

You might have to clear caches to see it.

The new journey planner has single fields for start and end

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

somebody

Re: New TransLink Journey Planner
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
My favourite trip, 80 meiers rd indro to Goodna, it now suggests catching an O/B bus before catching an I/B one.  It also suggests catching a Richlands train and transferring.

Also, the origin of the bus is far more prominent than its destination.  Do we need the origin?  I hope I didn't say that we did.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »
You searched for journeys from Storr Cct, Goodna to Central station, leaving after 12.15pm on Tuesday 29 May 2012 by bus, train or ferry

( http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/journey-planner/your-travel-options/1463984123 )

12.53pm - 1.11pm
    Walk 1184m to Stuart St near Bellevue Rd
    zoom to walk on map
    1.11pm - 1.18pm
    Catch bus 524 Redbank Plains, Bellbird Park, Goodna station to St Ives Shopping Centre
    show travel details
    Route 524 status
    zoom to trip on map
    1.18pm - 1.24pm
    Walk 381m to Goodna station, platform 2
    zoom to walk on map
    1.27pm - 2.05pm
    Catch train IPCA Ipswich via Brisbane City to Caboolture to Central station

=============

Issues here.

I would actually walk to Curnow St to catch the 524 (300 metres compared to 1.1km as suggested).

The 524 bus goes to Goodna Rail, I would not get off at St Ives and Walk.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:48:12 PM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

Offline Golliwog

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
I like it. Only suggestion I could have is as well as having the 'zoom to trip on map' button, have a 'zoom to interchange' button. While if it's telling you to walk you can do it for that which usually shows the two stops well, for places where it's a same stop change and you're not familiar with the area it can be useful.

That said though, the transfer point is marked on the map and you can easily zoom in on it yourself so not a real problem at all, just a ease of use thing.

==============
Is it just that it has walking those distances taking less time than the bus does?
There is no silver bullet… but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
Total travel time:3 hours 20 minutes Option 2 was 3 hours 27 minutes.
Total walking: 681m
Number of transfers: 2
go card adult fare: $14.02 (show all fares)

It suggests I catch a local bus to Nambour (away from my destination) then a Rail Bus to back Caboolture and so on... impractical, but that's what Public Transport is like on the Sunshine Coast.

You searched for journeys from (Address removed) Palmwoods (Sunshine Coast Regional) to Central station, leaving after 10.00am on Tuesday 29 May 2012 by bus, train or ferry
 10.36am - 10.40am
 Walk 208m to Woombye Palmwoods Rd near Holly Green Cr

10.40am - 10.56am
 Catch bus 639 Nambour Loop to Currie St at Nambour Library

Route 639 status

10.56am - 11.02am
 Walk 369m to Nambour station

11.31am - 12.44pm
 Catch bus 649 Nambour, Palmwoods, Mooloolah, Beerwah, Elimbah, Caboolture to Caboolture Station A

Route 649 status

12.44pm - 12.46pm
 Walk 104m to Caboolture station, platform 1

12.52pm - 1.56pm
 Catch train CAIP Caboolture via Brisbane City to Ipswich to Central station

Caboolture line status
Ipswich/Rosewood line status
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:41:37 PM by Fares_Fair »
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »

==============
Is it just that it has walking those distances taking less time than the bus does?

No definitely not in my example.

See --> http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/journey-planner/your-travel-options/1463984123

Inbound the 524 runs down Howard, left into Curnow.  My stop is up towards the top of Curnow before the right hand turn. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:06:58 PM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

Offline Golliwog

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »

==============

No definitely not in my example.
Yes, maybe not in reality, but it may be what their program thinks.

Just noted as well that they've also changed what shows up when you search for an individual route. What used to just show up with the .pdf timetable now also includes a Google Map of the route with stops marked. EG: I just went to look at the 524 example Ozbob was talking about and this is what they have now: http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/buses/524
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
This is cool, my stop (inbound).

--> http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/stops-and-stations/stop/317815
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:55:20 PM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/details/1338258542

The new journey planner is here!

Last updated: 12.34pm Tuesday 29 May 2012

Now there's a new way to plan your journey with TransLink!

We've changed how we present your travel options and, for the first time, you’re able to plan your journey with the aid of Google Maps.

Please note: the mobile website will update over the course of the day.

So what's changed?

Maps

Every journey is mapped by Google Maps, including each bus, train and ferry route and service.
    You are able to see stops near you, stop locations and go card locations on a map.

Journey planning

You are able to plan your journey by filtering based on service or fare type, e.g. regular, express, NightLink, school, standard prepaid or free.
    Each journey result is shown in tabbed options to make it easier to select the right journey for you.
    Tabbed travel results include all the details (like your travel time and fare) up front.
    You are able to change journey parameters (date, time etc) on the same page as journey results.
    The journey planner is able to pre-empt what you are typing with predictive text and give you suggested options.
    Your last five searches are saved for convenience.

Route information

Route pages show all route information including:
        the timetable
        the map
        any service updates
        all bus stops along the bus route.

Stops and stations

When you search for a stop or station you are able to see:
        where the stop is on a map
        nearby go card locations
        any nearby landmarks
        the stop timetable.
    You are able to search for stops near you and display them on a map with the ability to view the stop using Street View.

go card locations

You are able to search for go card locations by suburb to see all retailers near to you.
    View go card locations on a map.

My Links

Because information has been changed on the website due to changes to the journey planner, any "My Links" you might have saved on your mobile will no longer work and will need to be reset.

Help --> http://translink.com.au/site-information/contact-us-and-help/journey-planner-help

Need some help planning our journey? Have a look through our journey planner help pages.

Want to provide feedback?

We value all feedback you might have. If you have comments or suggestions regarding the new journey planner, please make use of our online feedback form, and provide as much detail as possible so we can direct your query as quickly as possible.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:01:13 PM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

Offline HappyTrainGuy

• My train... My people... My money!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
This doesn't look right....

Surely there are still a few bugs in the journey planner?

Fare costs.... Travel times.... Option 2... lolwut?

What's going on....oh wait... Translinks world class network planning.  :-t Translink.
"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

Offline paulg

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
It is good to finally see maps on the Translink JP site, but a bit disappointing that they didn't just use the standard Google Transit integration (like Adelaide and Perth).
I'm sure their implementation has cost them far more, and it would have been convenient to be able to do public transport searches directly from Google Maps.

Cheers, Paul

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
Seems legit :P

"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »
 8)  New Journey planner might be useful to work out our plan of attack for all stations/all lines/one day tour ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »
It does not seem to have the Surfside NSW routes loaded in anymore.

Personal observations:

- I think all the school routes should be identified with an "S" in front.

- Plenty of missing stops, which is a function of the cartographic data TL uses which is full of holes (for instance the bus stop down the street from me is missing even though it is a timing point).

- The "express" feature is pointless because it just brings up an assortment of (BT-only) services, which may or may not run outside the peak.  No mention of other routes (like the 601 on the Sunshine Coast, the TX routes, the Logan/Veolia services, the P546 etc).

- The data is obviously now Google compatible, but a quick visit to Google Maps does not indicate that the stops are plotted on a transit layer.  (Interestingly all the qconnect bus stops are, so I am hopeful that this won't be too far off).

- Northern Busway changes have been loaded up, if you set the date to a point after the commencement (so you can have a look at the 369 for instance).  The Aviation Precinct is now about as heavily serviced as Mains Road in the off-peak!
Gold Coast Light Rail

Offline Lapdog Transit

• Lapdog Transit - Top Dog in Transit
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
Gripes:

1. The word transfer! CUT!! It's a connection.
2. Where is the CFN map? With google maps this can be projected on
3. The whole journey planner is based around an 'exact value' idea where you catch a very specific bus, journey at a specific time. There is an alternative way that is more flexible - use the more frequent CFN routes for a 'fuzzy' match, so that no matter what time it is it doesn't have to be exactly that bus.

“New ideas pass through three periods: 1) It can’t be done. 2) It probably can be done, but it’s not worth doing. 3) I knew it was a good idea all along!” — Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Posts are my independent commuter view- not RailBOT's or other party.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson
29/05/2012

Changes improve TransLink's journey planner

Maps and detailed bus stop information are among the new features in a major revamp, which has made the Queensland Government's busiest website even better.

Minister for Transport and Main Roads Scott Emerson said visitors to translink.com.au would notice a number of new features from today, including detailed route, stop and transfer information all mapped on the new journey planner.

"The new journey planner has some fantastic features making it easier for regular commuters, as well as visitors, to navigate South East Queensland's large public transport network," Mr Emerson said.

"Tourists and irregular travellers can sometimes find public transport daunting as it can be difficult to know which routes go where, or where certain stops are located.

"TransLink's new journey planner uses Google Maps, with easy-to-follow directions, clearly defined routes and multiple options for travel, including the nearest go card outlet.

"It can map out all of TransLink's bus, train and ferry routes, almost 15,000 bus stops and all of TransLink's 573 go card locations."

The TransLink website records more than 31 million hits a year, with more than half of those visiting to view the journey planner.

"Our customers have told us that they wanted it to be easier to find routes and other services that were close and relevant to them. The new journey planner delivers this," Mr Emerson said.

"The 'Stops and Stations' feature has also been improved to show the stops near your current location, which is an ideal tool for people using mobile phone or iPads to plan their journey while on the go.

"All customers are encouraged to log on and review the new journey planner and provide feedback and suggestions on ways we can improve services for customers. That will also help to iron out any teething problems."

To start using the new TransLink journey planner, visit the TransLink website at translink.com.au. Journey planning information is also available by phoning 13 12 30, anytime.

[ENDS] 29 May 2012
  Bob's Blog

somebody

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
1. The word transfer! CUT!! It's a connection.
You've got a bit of a thing for semantics!

Connection does sound a little better than transfer though.  Gives the whole thing a positive vibe.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
Certainly a lot better than the previous one.  Welcome improvement.
  Bob's Blog

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »
You searched for journeys from Storr Cct, Goodna to Central station, leaving after 12.15pm on Tuesday 29 May 2012 by bus, train or ferry

( http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/journey-planner/your-travel-options/1463984123 )

12.53pm - 1.11pm
    Walk 1184m to Stuart St near Bellevue Rd
    zoom to walk on map
    1.11pm - 1.18pm
    Catch bus 524 Redbank Plains, Bellbird Park, Goodna station to St Ives Shopping Centre
    show travel details
    Route 524 status
    zoom to trip on map
    1.18pm - 1.24pm
    Walk 381m to Goodna station, platform 2
    zoom to walk on map
    1.27pm - 2.05pm
    Catch train IPCA Ipswich via Brisbane City to Caboolture to Central station

=============

Issues here.

I would actually walk to Curnow St to catch the 524 (300 metres compared to 1.1km as suggested).

The 524 bus goes to Goodna Rail, I would not get off at St Ives and Walk.

Fixed, although still has me getting off at St Ives (the bus actually goes to the rail station).

--> http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/journey-planner/your-travel-options/1463984123

:-t
  Bob's Blog

Offline Otto

• Here, There, Everywhere
    • Kirri Ku Japanese Spitz
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »
Just tried it with trips starting from Redland Bay... Think I'll stick to using my own knowledge of routes and connections..
In 2012, SNO's boarded 18 times. No funds free ride = 89
In 2013, SNO's boarded 13 times. No funds free ride = 157
In 2014, SNO's boarded 3 times. No funds free ride = 44

Offline Stillwater

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
Journey Planner just threw a wobbly when I asked for transport options after 7am weekdays between Noosa 5 Cinemas and Bribie Island.  It doesn't seem to want to recognise Bribie Island.

Offline Otto

• Here, There, Everywhere
    • Kirri Ku Japanese Spitz
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
At least the old planner recognised my home address.. My home does not exist on the new planner !  :o
In 2012, SNO's boarded 18 times. No funds free ride = 89
In 2013, SNO's boarded 13 times. No funds free ride = 157
In 2014, SNO's boarded 3 times. No funds free ride = 44

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
- Northern Busway changes have been loaded up,

Ferny Grove 15 min off-peak hasn't been loaded up yet  :(

somebody

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »

Whinge whinge!

I'm sure it's happening, and soon.

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
I expect there will be issues that need tweaking, an improvement with the addition of Google maps is good.
Service inadequacies to/from the Sunshine Coast are highlighted by the planner.

3 and 1/2 hours from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane is why people drive instead of using the train (and rail bus) services.
People won't flock to using rail if the service and line capacity limit its effectiveness as a sensible alternative.

That's the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane and return in a nutshell.
A public transport backwater.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:21:44 PM by Fares_Fair »
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline Mr X

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »

Dude it hasn't officially been announced for implementation yet, so demanding a timetable is a little premature, don't you think?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
3 and 1/2 hours from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane is why people drive instead of using the train (and rail bus) services.

Meh. Nothing to complain about. Try putting up with PT on the outskirts of Brisbane when you don't want to go to the city. You Sunshine Coast buggers have it made :P

Can our PT network go any futher down the crapper?  :-r

Offline Golliwog

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
Generally, I am quite happy with the new JP. Though would have thought it may have been slightly more appropriate for the media release to have perhaps mentioned that there could be some teething issues as everyone starts to use it and some of the previously unknown issues come to light. Though I suppose you're never going to get someone coming out and saying, "This big new thing we're doing, yeah, we think it should work good but it might not."

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »
Good improvement but google transit on google maps still not activated? Unless it becomes activated when officially released? Be interesting if the retrieve or fetch real time data or download a data packet twice a day similar to Adelaide metro at the moment?

Offline triplethree

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »
Quite impressed. Not perfect, there are teething problems and little quirks that remain to be ironed out, but still ... better than a kick in the teeth. Much better, in fact.

I'm impressed because TransLink now recognises that it's not good enough just to provide a text/narrative description of one's journey. People need to know the topology of their journey as well (e.g., the overall route, where routes intersect, how to walk from one stop to another, etc.) As Jarrett Walker has talked about over on Human Transit, some people are naturally spatial navigators who have greater intuition with maps than with lines of text. (http://www.humantransit.org/2009/10/global-impositioning-systems.html)

I'm definitely a spatial navigator rather than a narrative navigator, so I found the old journey planner outputs completely useless and incomprehensible without having to look at things in my Brisway or on Google Street View.

And I've already memorised my stop IDs (funny, I never knew they existed in SEQ). "010181" and "001357" are far easier to remember and far easier to type than a street address.

Once again, well done, TransLink. May you continue to give me reasons to *clap clap clap*! (I believe any improvement, even if not perfect, ought to be applauded.)
This is the Night Mail, crossing the border
Bringing the cheque and the postal order
Letters for the rich, letters for the poor
The shop at the corner and the girl next door
--"Night Mail", W.H. Auden

Offline Golliwog

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
Interesting how it's showing route 369 running and which stops it serves. Running east bound, it starts at McConaghy St at Mitchelton Rail station (005012) with it's location described as: "McConaghy Street, Mitchelton between Mitchelton Rail Station Pedestrian Access Path and Mitchelton Station Bus Access Road, approximately 24m from Mitchelton Rail Station Pedestrian Access Path "

This is rather than Mitchelton Rail Station (005011) which is the interchange currently served by the 396, 397, 398 and also (apparently) the 390? As far as I am aware, there is no stop there, other than the interchange. There is however a cab rank/passenger drop off.

Ok, checked the 390 .pdf, there is one service in the morning which starts there rather than Brookside, which is also what the new planner had when you looked closer, though the route isn't shown correctly. I would query why the stop ID tag thing would suggest that all 390's stop there, when it has things listed like 397 and 397a for the stop as well. According to the .pdf it leaves the interchange and runs via Osbourne and Sussex but the new planner has it running McConaghy and Sussex (ie: turning left when it leaves the interchange, which the markings viewable from nearmap show isn't possible). I think some of the issues with the routes and how they show up in the new planner is that Translink must have added in new links for Google to run their lines down, and only put in the routes as running between stops or various points, leaving Google to plot the route. This could also explain the somewhat bizare routing of the 369 when it gets to the busway at Kedron Brook... This is something that I assume will be fixed up over time as things like this are picked up.

======================================================================

I'd also suggest they double check their stop locations. For example, on the 369 again Brookside Interchange C (002101) is rightly shown as being on Osbourne Rd, but is depicted as being much closer to the road through the carpark that the buses use, rather than the Sussex St intersection where I'm pretty sure it actually is. Pretty sure there is a blade style sign there now much closer to the Sussex St, but where Translink has it (Translink also has a Google Streetview button!) is a 'Brookside C - Set down only' J pole. This is a Streetview image from 2009 though. If I remember I'll wander over and check.

Something else that has come out is some of the non-timetabled but timetabled services that run. The .pdf timetable has nothing about this service, but the new planner has a 3.17pm outbound service, starting at Kelvin Grove State College on Lestrange Tce, and running to Enoggera Interchange. This is obviously a school run (and I do recall seeing a TL update about them changing how/when this one ran a little while ago). I only noted this as when I was looking at the route 390 'home screen' (http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/buses/390) it had a funny looking dog leg at Kelvin Grove on the map on the home page that shows the route. I must admit I'm not a fan of that map: it's too narrow vertically for my liking. Also, if it's going to be for the whole route, it should show the route that is typically taken, not showing all minor deviations that are only taken by 1 or 2 services, or if these are shown, they should be marked differently.

====================================

Onto trains now. I sort of understand why they bothered to give each platform at rail stations their own ID (eg: Mitchelton 1 - 600381 and Mitchelton 2 - 600382). For stations like Central, knowing whether to go to platform 6 for the mains or 3/4 for the subs is important (though info that would be relayed by the PID's at the station anyway) but for suburban stations I see no point. And it can lead to interesting stop timetables like this one: http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/stops-and-stations/stop/600382/timetable for Mitchelton Platform 2 which has both inbound and outbound services listed. This would therefore infer the what one would use as the inbound timetable (ie: the one for platform 1) wouldn't list all inbound services as there are a couple that start from platform 2. It's technically correct, but not overly useful for pax who only care about inbound vs outbound.

Trains are now listed as 'upward' or 'downward' but there are still issues with how services are named. For example, the 7:17am Mitchelton - Y'pilly service has all the correct stations listed (including that it starts on platform 2 at Mitchelton) but the top title is "7.17am FGBN service - Ferny Grove via Brisbane City to Beenleigh" which is obviously not correct.

STB

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/network-information/buses/262  umm, route 262 certainly doesn't do that!  :-w :hg

Also a suggestion for TransLink, perhaps adding an inbound and outbound route to the bus routes as some bus routes vary on the inbound and outbound, one solid blue line splitting and going in two directions, you can't tell which way it's going in which direction (although you can check the PDF timetable for that).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:47:11 AM by STB »

STB

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 12:52:56 AM »
Seems legit :P

WTF....ookay, evidently the JP hasn't figured out that you can get a Gympie Nth train to Central, transfer to a Gold Coast train to Varsity Lakes and then transfer to route 761 getting there at approximately 11:09am.

STB

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 01:00:04 AM »

Meh. Nothing to complain about. Try putting up with PT on the outskirts of Brisbane when you don't want to go to the city. You Sunshine Coast buggers have it made :P

<snip>

Can our PT network go any futher down the crapper?  :-r

Just thinking outside the box (which the JP is yet to do), couldn't you simply just get a 680 to Aspley and change to route 350 to at least get you to Albany Creek where you can get someone to pick you up or get a 359?  And probably will be easier when the new BUZ 340 comes online.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »
A mate sent me this. I had a good lol.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »
Just thinking outside the box (which the JP is yet to do), couldn't you simply just get a 680 to Aspley and change to route 350 to at least get you to Albany Creek where you can get someone to pick you up or get a 359?  And probably will be easier when the new BUZ 340 comes online.

Doesn't work out exactly. Problem is that the 680 stops on Gympie Road and its a good distance to the interchange where the 350 departs. The 680 stops at the Aspley shops stop before the 350 departs the Aspley interchange but the distance can't be covered on foot before the 350 departs leaving a 58 minute wait till the next 350 (Something around 3-4 minutes if the 680 is on time - Gympie road traffic lights is what kills a large chunk of the time). The 359 outbound connection with the inbound 350 is out by about 15 mins. In the end the same 359 the JP says ends up being caught. If someone is able to pick me up at Albany Creek Village then they might aswell drive the extra 2 minutes in the opposite direction and pick me up 120 minutes earlier from Strathpine (Which is what usually happens if I don't drive).

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 06:33:23 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

30th May 2012

Greetings,

Congratulations to TransLink on the successful roll-out of the new Journey Planner on the online web site yesterday ( details: http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/details/1338258542 ) .

The new journey planner is a significant improvement, particularly with the link up with Google Maps, with the capability for street views of bus stops and so forth.

Minor tweaks will be needed, but already public feedback has been positive.

The new journey planner can be accessed here -->  http://translink.com.au/

Mobile journey planner for smart phones and the like here --> http://mobile.translink.com.au/

Making public transport easy to catch is important.

Well done to all involved with the development of the new journey planner.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org
  Bob's Blog

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »

Dude it hasn't officially been announced for implementation yet, so demanding a timetable is a little premature, don't you think?

I know, its related to Ozbob's comment in another thread.  ;)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
From the Couriermail Quest click here!

Commuter advocates say use of Google Maps and mobile integration on TransLink Journey Planner a major improvement

Commuter advocates say use of Google Maps and mobile integration on TransLink Journey Planner a major improvement

by: Sherine Conyers
    May 30, 2012 9:23AM

TRANSLINK has released a new Journey planner integrating Google maps, detailed bus stop information and mobile capabilities.

The revamp has been hailed as a major improvement by commuter advocacy group Rail Back on Track, which has been lobbying for better transport navigation.

Minister for Transport and Main Roads Scott Emerson said visitors to translink.com.au would notice a number of new features including detailed route, stop and transfer information all mapped on the planner.

"Tourists and irregular travellers can sometimes find public transport daunting as it can be difficult to know which routes go where, or where certain stops are located.

"TransLink's new journey planner uses Google Maps, with easy-to-follow directions, clearly defined routes and multiple options for travel, including the nearest go card outlet.

"It can map out all of TransLink's bus, train and ferry routes, almost 15,000 bus stops and all of TransLink's 573 go card locations.''

Rail Back on Track spokesman Robert Dow said the planner was a significant improvement and much simpler and quicker to use.

"It is a welcome improvement

"You can see where you're going and also look at the street view and see what your bus stop is in actuality

"You can also use bus stop identification numbers to find where the buses go. A lot of people get to know their own bus stop," he said.

Mr Dow said with more people using mobile devices it was a great asset, but more still needed to be done on the ground.

"We still think there's a fair bit to be done in terms of network maps, I think at times it can be a bit hard to work out where you are going.

"It is important to have those traditional maps," he said.
  Bob's Blog

Offline p858snake

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
They have seemed to rename the stations (or its just getting stupid), I swear "Toombul Railway Station" used to work, now it chucks up "Did you mean" and need to select "Toombul (Station)" (iirc).

Some of the trip identifers are a bit darf. For example "Catch train [SHBR] Shorncliffe to Brisbane City to Central station" doesn't actually mention at all that it is a Roma Street Station service although most people probably don't care about that detail since you can look up the service via the time on the timetables at the local station.

Is the platform number data it gives real time?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan