• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

National Broadband Network

Started by ozbob, May 15, 2012, 02:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

NBN --> http://www.nbn.gov.au/

QuoteWhat is the NBN?

The National Broadband Network is a next-generation broadband network designed for Australia's future needs.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Wiring for high speed

QuoteWiring for high speed

Kieran Banks | 15th May 2012 2:00 AM

THE Ipswich CBD is set to be connected to the National Broadband Network super-highway with work set to begin by year's end.

The first cables will be laid in November with work to continue until March 2014.

The work will stretch beyond the city limits, bringing the internet revolution to a wide range of Ipswich suburbs.

The NBN radar includes Redbank Plains, Brookwater and Collingwood Park to the north and Yamanto, Churchill and Coalfalls to the south.

North and Central Ipswich and Silkstone round out the areas for stage one of the roll out.

The second stage includes Brassall, Rosewood and Grandchester, due for completion in four years time.

The arrival of the information super-highway will make Ipswich a tantalising prospect for businesses, Mayor Paul Pisasale said.

"Ipswich is a major regional centre and we have built the bitumen highway and now it's time to establish the super highway," he said.

"It's fantastic. No matter where you are you can run a big corporation's head quarters and help with education.

Chamber of Commerce president Brett Kitching said murmurs from the business community indicated they were awaiting its arrival with open arms.

He believes it will only help continue the region's growth.

"It can only be a good thing really because it means the speeds of operation will increase. Whether it's a business or students, no matter what you are using it can only be good," Mr Kitching said.

Introducing the high-speed network to the CBD was a good move for business, he said.

"It's a lower cost of operating in Ipswich compared to Brisbane. If we have got the NBN out here it could give businesses more motivation."

An NBNCo spokesman said it was estimated to take 12 months from the start of construction before the service was available.

Fast facts

The total cost of the NBN project is estimated to be $27.5 billion.

3.5 million premises will be connected to the NBN by mid-2015.

The NBN rollout is due to be complete by 2020.

ozbob

ozbob

From Queensland Times click here!

NBN comes closer

QuoteNBN comes closer

Kieran Banks | 17th July 2012 6:00 AM

GOODNA residents can expect to be connected to the National Broadband Network by March next year.

Work has begun on connecting 8400 homes and businesses to the NBN already, with work to begin on another 8300 homes over the next 12 months.

Residents of Goodna, Collingwood Park, Redbank Plains and Augustine Heights passed through the Goodna Neighbourhood House to hear the latest updates on Saturday.

They heard once the NBN was up and running, downloading speeds would increase to 100MB a second, meaning it would take just minutes to download your favourite movies.

Cr Paul Tully said with connection to lightning-speed internet now on the horizon, interest in the community was starting to gain momentum.

"I've had queries on my Facebook page. People were asking me if they were in or out. There was pretty strong interest in the area now that it is getting closer," he said.

According to the map on the NBN website, a signal is available on Cunningham Rise in Goodna and Brentwood Rise in Augustine Heights.

But an NBN spokesman was unavailable for comment yesterday to confirm the signal was operational.

Cr Tully said Saturday's information session gave residents a feeling the long wait would soon be over.

"There's an air of excitement that at last we are going into the 21st century in what is the most ambitious project taken on by any country," Cr Tully said.

"The people who were there were pretty positive and on board about it.

"The flood victims who were there were pretty happy that they are going to be one of the first in the country to use it."

NBN Co manager Darren Rudd said residents received specific information about broadband in their area.

"We have found there's a real appetite for information about the NBN. People have lots of questions about the technology and how it will be used to improve the way they live and work," Mr Rudd said.

Go to www.nbnco.com.au for more information.

ozbob

red dragin

On greenfields NBN here - yes for now it is overkill, but with the possibility to feed TV etc through it, why cheapen it now!

colinw

I am against the idea of any Government mandated broadband infrastructure monopoly - building another Government infrastructure behemoth  is a complete reversal of the economic reforms of the last 25 years - but if we're going to build the darn thing we may as well do it properly.

The Liberal NBN is the broadband equivalent of building the Gold Coast line as single track.  :fp:

I would assign Turnbull far more credibility if he just said they were going to cancel the bloody thing and leave it to the private sector where it belongs.

somebody

I particularly like the write protect tabs done with sticky tape and that there are two of them - so a floppy drive which couldn't read both sides of the disk, a relic of the 1980s!  I guess that's just my geekiness showing there though.

colinw

I'm sure I've still got a few old Apple II floppies which were double sided by cutting out the 2nd notch.  Mind you my //e is long gone now, but some of my favourite old Apple games live on thanks to emulator software.

ozbob

ozbob

colinw

ozbob

Quote from: colinw on April 11, 2013, 11:33:15 AM
Fairfax (Blunt Instrument Blog) -> Free floppies a policy flop

x

[I am really starting to wonder if Tony et al are actually up to it, dummy spit and foot shooting about urban rail and now the non-NBN,  heaven help us ... ]

colinw

Nah, my prediction is they'll romp it in, Newman style.

somebody

Quote from: colinw on April 11, 2013, 12:56:26 PM
I sooo hope you're wrong.  The last thing we need Federally is a weakened opposition.  I fear that only slightly more than Mr Abbott being PM.

colinw

Quote from: Simon on April 11, 2013, 13:13:43 PM
Quote from: colinw on April 11, 2013, 12:56:26 PM
I sooo hope you're wrong.

Me too.  Ideal outcome would be a 3-5 seat majority one way or the other.  Strong opposition breeds better Government, although the current Federal term tends to go against that rule of thumb.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

First post via the NBN.  Connected today at Goodna!   :-t :-c

Faster than a speeding R711 ...   :P

Gazza

I'm still stuck on ADSL1 due to being on a sub exchange where I am :(

Otto

Quote from: ozbob on July 17, 2013, 18:10:43 PM
First post via the NBN.  Connected today at Goodna!   :-t :-c

Faster than a speeding R711 ...   :P

Well, tell us your speed...
http://www.speedtest.net/

I'm on rather shaky ADSL2+
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

ozbob

:D

I went for the middle of the road.  I don't need superfast but it is a major improvement on ADSL2+ ...

It is no exageration to say that moving from ADSL to NBN is like it was moving from dialup to ADSL ..   :-t :bna:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2842825324

Download

47.88Mb/s

Upload

15.81Mb/s

=============

My ISP [iPrimus] you can select 25, 50 or 100.  I went for 50 which is a good compromise.  When the network improves will move to super speeds, although as you can see it is like a bullet now.

ozbob

Mozz

Jealous .....stuck on 500k down 100k up at Oxley...bring on the NBN !!!

ozbob

Quote from: Mozz on July 18, 2013, 06:18:17 AM
Jealous .....stuck on 500k down 100k up at Oxley...bring on the NBN !!!

:)  Yes, the ADSL at Darra is flaky as well.  It is not ADSL as such, it is the old copper phone network that is the issue.  Abbott thinks he can still use that for connections from the node to the home.  Idiot!

red dragin

Welcome to the future  ;D

If I speedtest Internode (we have an internode account), I get 103/18 on a 50/20 plan  :fp:

When it tests the Telstra server we get 48/19.

I agree Bob, if the wingnut gets in I feel sorry for those that get NBN afterwards.

ozbob

Thanks! Telephone ported over to the NBN VoIP now .. works like a charm and is low cost relative to the old land line and ' deals ' ...

The existing telephone exchange system locally is to be phased out in 18 months or so after NBN roll out ...  if the blue mob get in I guess all those plans would have to be revisited ....  :steam:

Otto

Quote from: ozbob's Speedtest Results on July 18, 2013, 03:21:49 AM
:D

Download

47.88Mb/s

Upload

15.81Mb/s

Take the 4 from your download and take the 15 from your upload and you got my results with ADSL2+ !! (and tonight is a good night)  :hg
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

ozbob

Sadly Otto if Abbott is returned as PM, most of Australia will miss out the real gains that are the NBN done right!

Politicians are in the main, idiots ...   :o :bna:

ozbob

ozbob

The NBN is very stable compared to ADSL .. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2862963947

7/27/2013 5:34 AM GMT     47.90 Mb/s    15.86 Mb/s    58 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    
7/24/2013 12:04 AM GMT     47.68 Mb/s    18.70 Mb/s    3 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    
7/20/2013 6:58 AM GMT     47.66 Mb/s    18.68 Mb/s    4 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    
7/19/2013 8:53 AM GMT     47.73 Mb/s    15.79 Mb/s    57 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    
7/19/2013 8:48 AM GMT     47.79 Mb/s    15.80 Mb/s    57 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    
7/18/2013 7:15 AM GMT     47.90 Mb/s    15.81 Mb/s    56 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    
7/17/2013 5:23 PM GMT     47.88 Mb/s    15.81 Mb/s    56 ms    Brisbane    < 50 mi    

Had a problem with a broken connection which was resolved by NBNco.  The fibre cable has to be handled a lot more carefully than normal telephone wire.  Once installed though it is fine.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

From ABC Ballarat click here!

Broadband on V/Line fibre optic cable unveiled by Premier

Victoria's South West now has access to fast speed internet via fibre optic cabling installed on the Geelong to Warrnambool railway line. With many regional towns already housing train tracks with fibre optic cabling, will they also gain access to a broadband service the Premier describes as 'better than the NBN'?

Premier Dennis Napthine has announced access to fibre optic cabling in Victoria's South West that is 'ten times the maximum of the best NBN broadband capacity'.

This comes from the installation of a fibre optic cable along the Geelong to Warrnambool railway line with its primary use for connecting train signalling systems, but excess fibre will enable a broadband connection for South West businesses.

"Businesses can start applying now. The fibre optic cable is in place, the investment is being made by the state government that really does provide South West Victoria, its teaching institutes, research institutes and businesses the access to this broadband capacity, the best broadband in the world."

"This is one of the most important pieces of infrastructure for Warrnambool and South West Victoria for many, many decades - as important as the railways and the highways of the past. This fibre optic link from Geelong to Warrnambool puts Warrnambool right at the centre of the world in terms of ICT capacity."

George Fong, Vice-President of the Internet Society of Australia, suggests the fibre optic cabling is not exclusive to Warrnambool and the primary beneficiaries are government businesses.

"Traditionally all over the world what's happened with railways is that you connect up your signalling systems and communications systems along the tracks. All over the world, as time has gone by they have traditionally run fibre to do those things. When you pull fibre you pull a lot of it because it's easy to do. At the end of the day, VicTrack has ended up with a large amount of fibre that runs roughly parallel to the tracks and terminates at railway stations all over the state. The whole idea was not only to provide the signalling capabilities for the railways but also to provide excess fibre for other things. The state government in Victoria has for a very long time, even before the conception of the NBN has been acutely aware of the need to connect up all these areas."

"Victoria has been ahead of the game for years and years in terms of building these backhaul links, the issue has always been what comes out at the end of them. The bit between the terminating point of the backhaul to the houses, in part that's where NBN has come in to say 'well we're going to fix that bit up'."

Receiving access to the broadband is not as simple as an application to the government; the fibre optic cable usually terminates at the town's railway station in which the recipient must pay to connect their business to the cable.

"It's connecting to a terminating point in to a town, it's like a freeway that goes into the town but it's the feeder roads out that you need to build from there. And that's always been the bone of contention - who does that? So if you've got a state government organisation at the end of the line it might well be that they contract someone like Telstra or others to run the bit between the terminating point and their buildings, then it has to be done at the other end as well'" says Mr Fong.

With fibre optic cabling also installed along the Melbourne to Ballarat, Bendigo and Maryborough train lines, will the Premier fund access to world class broadband for businesses in these areas?

Premier Napthine says the ten million dollar link from Geelong to Warrnambool is now open for business and the first customer is South West TAFE.

"This provides one gigabit per second or 1000 megabits per second of capacity. That's 10 times of the maximum of the best NBN broadband capacity. It's about 20 times the capacity they currently have at South West TAFE."

The South West TAFE will be the primary beneficiary of the fibre optic installation with CEO Peter Heilburth saying it will enable better teaching and the possibility of more courses.

"Having this kind of infrastructure... is enormously important for us to enable us to get the best teachers, support and information to our students. After all, we are in the business of providing information and having the capacity to manage that information is important."

"One of the challenges of delivering courses in a region such as ours is it's not always easy to get skilled teachers in particular in niche areas. As the Premier himself said, often there might be one or two students in an area such as Warrnambool who want to do a course and to actually make that economically viable is a challenge. But together with other providers using such technology it is possible to offer those sorts of courses."

ozbob

From South West News 31st July 2013 page 11

Rail man on fast track

ozbob

NBN Co ‏@NBNCo

Find out when the #NBN is coming to you via our Rollout Map >> http://bit.ly/102hFcG

ozbob

A series of speed tests demonstrates the quality of the NBN.

Moved from 50/20 Mbits/sec to 100/40 halfway through, indicated by the jump in the speed graph.

Speed, stability of NBN is just wonderful compared to the ADSL on the back of a failing copper phone network.  It is time Oz!

http://www.speedtest.net/

🡱 🡳