Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: Sandgate Station Upgrade  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
Sandgate Station Upgrade
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
The Sandgate Station Upgrade is under way.

The closure this weekend (10-11 December 2011) is allowing work to be carried out.  New overheads are being installed.

No touching on for the bus ride:

(Photos taken 10 December 2011.)
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Offline BrizCommuter

Re: Sandgate Station Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
No points/signalling upgrades then?

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »

Not today at least.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
To make the station accessible, why dont they just put in a wheelchair ramp to the other platform as an interim? Sure, still a level crossing and no lifts, but hey, that's what the Melbourne network consists of.

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
An interesting thing I discovered today was that the pedestrian walkway at the level crossing isn't protected by gates.  I doubt they'd want to encourage that as place for disabled people to cross.

Of course installing gates would be cheaper than installing lifts.  :P

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
Sorry to say folks, but the DDA upgrade is not underway.  The tender was only released the other day. 

While I would rather not disclose dates, I can confirm that the intended works program will not commence until next year and most likely after the Sector II rewrite.

I can only imagine that the works above relate solely to the corridor.
Ride the G:

somebody

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »
My info is that there is no issue with points/signalling.  The problem is platform 2 is not DDA compliant.

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
While I would rather not disclose dates, I can confirm that the intended works program will not commence until next year and most likely after the Sector II rewrite.

Well that's very disappointing - and means that the frequency on the Shorncliffe line will not improve when the Sector 2 timetables are introduced - something we need to highlight as a major failure.

I'd like to believe that this weekend's work is preliminary - in preparation for the upgrade.  You don't install new masts and overheads for no reason.

Here are a few more photos from today.

No pedestrian gates at the level crossing:

Kangaroo Bus Lines doing the honours for this weekend's closure:

Offline HappyTrainGuy

• My train... My people... My money!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »
Yep, the second platform is not DDA complient due to no wheelchair access to the platform.
"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

somebody

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
Well that's very disappointing - and means that the frequency on the Shorncliffe line will not improve when the Sector 2 timetables are introduced - something we need to highlight as a major failure.
Why can't they use crew swaps at Shorncliffe?

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
Why can't they use crew swaps at Shorncliffe?

They do that in the afternoon peak.  They don't do it in the morning - presumably because it means there is no margin for error.  A late service arriving at Shorncliffe means that it will be late for the run into the city.  That doesn't matter in the afternoon peak but it'd be a big issue in the morning peak, potentially throwing even more services out.

Offline O_128

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »

Don't worry there will enough of failures in the upcoming timetable to go around  ;D
"Where else but Queensland?"

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
The car park upgrade (additional 100 bays) is now complete and opened on Monday (5 March).

The station upgrade (new overbridge with lifts, upgraded station building, etc) will commence on 19 March and is expected to take about a year (weather permitting).

The platforms will be raised, although I'm waiting for confirmation on whether the full length will be raised.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
The platforms will be raised, although I'm waiting for confirmation on whether the full length will be raised.

The tender documents say they will be - same for Alderley and Narangba.  Eagle Junction is not so clear, but I expect it will be also.
Ride the G:

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
Stopped by Sandgate Station today.  Not a lot going on.  Part of platform 2 is fenced off.  There is a sign out the front notifying asbestos removal with a commencement date originally in April, with "May 2012" stuck over the top of the April date.

Looks like things aren't happening in a hurry - and no doubt we'll have to wait until it's done before the commencement of the sector 2 timetable updates.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »
Some minor stuff should be happening soon with major works being done during the Nundah-Gympie shut down.
"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

colinw

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »
There is a sign out the front notifying asbestos removal with a commencement date originally in April, with "May 2012" stuck over the top of the April date.

Asbestos removal?  Well there goes that so-called justification for not fixing up Ascot.

somebody

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
There is a sign out the front notifying asbestos removal with a commencement date originally in April, with "May 2012" stuck over the top of the April date.

Asbestos removal?  Well there goes that so-called justification for not fixing up Ascot.
It was always absurd, and everyone knew it.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
Re Ascot - I don't think anybody has ever attempted to use that as an excuse in itself.  It's more the issue that unless the government actually intended to put some services on that would require a passing loop, the expenditure is unnecessary as it is effectively a single track line (including Doomben itself, except for the peak) and the existing platform in service is sufficient.

Asbestos doesn't really do anything if you leave it there, for the most part - its the removal and clean-up that is more risky, so unless there is a reason to spend the money then there is not a big problem.

There is no doubt plenty of asbestos all over the network as it is, not in the least because it used to be used in brakes.
Ride the G:

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
Taken on 9 June during the closure - demolishing the end of Platform 2:

Taken on 11 June, after the closure:

Offline kw

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Taken this morning (22nd January) Sandgate.

Offline Stillwater

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
People interstate must think we are crazy .... we carry on like someone who has just taken possession of their first car at the appearance of a set of stairs, a lift, a water bubbler at our station, or a working toilet on our regular train.  These things are taken for granted elsewhere, lol.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
 :bna:  <---  bus / rail connection made ...
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Bobs Blog  Instagram   Facebook  @ozbob13@mastodon.social

Offline mufreight

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »
The usual question, Sandgate is a station upgrade, have they raised the platforms to make it DDA compliant?

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
The usual question, Sandgate is a station upgrade, have they raised the platforms to make it DDA compliant?

Upgraded platform: Yes.
In use platform: No.

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »

Wow, the mediocrity continues!

Offline petey3801

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

In all fairness, the upgrade hasn't actually finished. The Up platform will have raised platforms at least, one would expect they will try and raise the Down (currently used) platform once the Up platform is complete. Not sure how exactly, as the Up road is uni-directional, but they may do something like South Brisbane and close the station to Down trains (trains will just go straight through) and have a bus shuttle from Deagon?
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »

Sort of difficult to upgrade the in use problem until the opposite platform has been upgraded without shutting down the whole station/line beyond.

In all fairness, the upgrade hasn't actually finished. The Up platform will have raised platforms at least, one would expect they will try and raise the Down (currently used) platform once the Up platform is complete. Not sure how exactly, as the Up road is uni-directional, but they may do something like South Brisbane and close the station to Down trains (trains will just go straight through) and have a bus shuttle from Deagon?

It wouldn't suprise me if they upgrade the track/signaling in the area, do work/temp work just around the stairs/elevators to the main exit or even make a temp exit where the bike lockers are to the buses and then proceed to upgrade the platform to DDA standards while passengers/trains use the newly compliant platform. They recently upgraded the park and ride on the eastern side so they could close off the other park and ride and use it to store equipment. Once done they could upgrade the pathway there aswell. It would still leave 2 of the 3 park and rides available to people to use, people can still access the drop off area/taxi rank, the interchange between bus and trains would have minimal impact, the ticket office will still be attended and people in wheelchairs shouldn't have a problem with access.

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:28:45 AM by HappyTrainGuy »

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 07:34:01 AM »

Sort of difficult to upgrade the in use problem until the opposite platform has been upgraded without shutting down the whole station/line beyond.
Weekend engineering works?

In Japan it is possible to switch tracks and power between a surface route and tunnelled route underneath in one night. Yet QR may be unable to build a hump on a platform in one weekend?  ::)

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »
Why are we complaining? 

Both platforms are being done, and there is only ever one platform in use at Sandgate because of the way the line is configured towards Shorncliffe.  Without the missing 1km or so of duplicated track there isn't much point using both platforms just for the sake of it when only one side is manned, has toilets and does not require people to use stairs. 

One will be done before the other.  Get over it folks...
Ride the G:

somebody

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong about outbound trains are not able to pass the previously used platform?

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong about outbound trains are not able to pass the previously used platform?

Yep. The crossovers aren't configured for outbound trains to access platform 2. Platform 2 can only be accessed from the Shorncliffe end points.

Offline kw

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
As shown in my photo, the supports for a temporary platform extension is being built over the UP road Platform 2. Passengers will board trains on the Down road from Platform 2 while Platform 1 is closed.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
That'll work. Better than installing a new crossover to the west :)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »
http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/details/1361144170

Sandgate station temporary platform changes

Last updated: 2.23pm Thursday 21 February 2013

As part of the Sandgate station upgrade project, Queensland Rail is undertaking improvement works to provide better facilities.
Platform one temporary closure

From Monday 11 March until the end of August, platform one will be closed due to platform raising works.

This means all inbound and outbound services will leave from a temporary platform located near platform two.

There will be no changes to your current timetable.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Bobs Blog  Instagram   Facebook  @ozbob13@mastodon.social

Offline kw

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
A couple of recent pics.

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
New estimated time of completion is "hopefully by the end of 2013". (It was supposed to be April 2013.)

Apparently there were issues with the soil under the platforms that made things more difficult - plus the atrocious weather we had over the summer and beyond.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:19:45 AM by Derwan »

somebody

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »
New estimated time of completion is "hopefully by the end of 2013".

Apparently there were issues with the soil under the platforms that made things more difficult - plus the atrocious weather we had over the summer and beyond.
Tks for sharing.  At least it's happening now.

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
New estimated time of completion is "hopefully by the end of 2013". (It was supposed to be April 2013.)

Apparently there were issues with the soil under the platforms that made things more difficult

Did QR have to buy another shovel, taking 6 months to get it signed off by 5 levels of executive?

somebody

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
Did QR have to buy another shovel, taking 6 months to get it signed off by 5 levels of executive?
You only need 5+ levels of executive if you need to cater a plate of sandwiches for a meeting.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan