• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

603: Bellvista/Little Mountain/Corbould Park hourly milk run (Caloundra local)

Started by Arnz, November 10, 2011, 21:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnz

http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/services-and-timetables/timetables/090628_603.pdf

Perhaps the 603 should be split into 2 routes?  603: Bellvista and 604: Corbould Park via Aroona.  

The Bellvista half could be extended to terminate in the Kings Beach area (about 5 mins for a round trip).  Patronage on this run is just like most other milk runs (eg 5-8 people, or the occasional 20+ spike for recurring Racecourse events).

Dead running won't matter as much on this route, this route is mainly operated by Caloundra depot buses, with the depot a few streets down from the Racecourse (Marcoola only does a few weekend 603 runs).
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

SurfRail

Really need to do something about the 609 as well.  Infrequent one-way loops don't cut the mustard.
Ride the G:

STB

Ah, the 603.  Oh I remember those days.  Back in the day, I tried to get route 603 to be 3 routes, but was knocked back and had to settle for one route.  I did get a small win by taking out a dogleg and getting Industrial Ave serviced, and keeping route 605 to service that small pocket in Little Mountain.  But, I still clearly remember that irky email from the Senior who chastised me by attempting to split route 603 into 3 clear routes behind their backs :D!

To rub extra salt in me, I did the timetable that allowed clear connections at Caloundra without any conflicts with other services, but Sunbus, in their usual fashion, changed it the timetable, taking out all that work.  Oh, I am so happy not to be in the transport industry anymore!  :-t

Arnz, if you want to know more, PM me.

In a nutshell to what you are asking, yes I support that, as you can see from what I've written above.

STB

Quote from: Simon on November 11, 2011, 12:59:34 PM
Are there really routes out there that bad!

Simon, just so you know, route 603 was a brand new route, recommended by a consultant who restructured the southern and eastern regions and is the 'Grandfather' of the modern BT network.  He did a report to restructure the Sunshine Coast network around 2007-ish, although only a small part of that was implemented.

The time I was there route 603 was going to be implemented as published by that report, but it omitted Industrial Ave and did a dogleg through Little Mountain which I thought was unattractive, hence I took it on my own (as I was one of the SC planners at the time - only a junior though) to see if I could get that route changed, and even better split into 3 distinct routes.  I failed on the 3 distinct routes but managed a few small wins as I posted earlier.

Arnz

I know old topic, but I've drawn up a revised map for the split 604 which is revelant to Route 603.    The modified Route 604 removes Currimundi Markets Shopping Centre and Beerburrum Street (Aroona) from the route (which the former is serviced by the 600 and 605, and the later serviced by 602) although the modified route 604 now goes via Sunset Drive (Caloundra West) before turning left into Sugarbag Road (servicing Caloundra West and upper Aroona areas) before proceeding to Caloundra High School and then goes per existing route.

The route has been steamironed a little bit (saving 5 mins off the existing timetable on Corbould Park-Caloundra), although it still services Little Mountain out of community reasons, due to nearby retirement villages in the area.

Considering the air parcel carried between the Racecourse and parts of Little Mountain, I am tempted however to remove the Racecourse Bit entirely and have this route terminate in Village Way (at the 'K' point in the map I've posted below), then loop back to Parklands Boulevard Bus Stop via Discovery Drive (the little loop the 605 goes in).  However, during special racecourse events, then have the 604 extended to the Racecourse during those days.

Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

🡱 🡳