• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Queensland Parliament - Hansard. items of interest

Started by ozbob, October 25, 2011, 17:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

QuoteLooking forward to the return of Redbank starters

When do you think this might happen?
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

somebody

Presumably the Darra-Redbank triple will only happen after CRR.  Otherwise there would need to be a frequency reduction at Ipswich.  You never know though.

ozbob

Yes.   The third line from Darra West - Redbank will not serve platforms at Wacol or Goodna I'd expect.  Gailes (Dingo Hill) will probably go post Springfield is my bet.

Goodna is a very busy station, busiest west of Darra including Ipswich.  Redbank starters will have plenty of room when arriving at Goodna.  Goodna is planned to be rebuilt complete with periscopes,  but I don't think a third platform would be done, and in any case with the highway and the electrical comms gear on stilts means not much room for another platform other than offset, which would be kind of silly.

somebody

Third track will have no platforms?  Doesn't that mean some compromises in operation will have to be made?  What side will it be?

colinw

Quote from: Fares_Fair on October 30, 2011, 16:23:40 PM
Imagine how many would make use of 15 minute frequency services where no timeatable was required.
A sign (PID) at every station that says there are train services every 15 minutes.
It'd absolutely be a boon.

Proper rail systems don't display a timetable on stations at all, they display a COUNTDOWN CLOCK.

Like this one:

O_128

Quote from: colinw on October 30, 2011, 20:24:22 PM
Imagine how many would make use of 15 minute frequency services where no timeatable was required.
A sign (PID) at every station that says there are train services every 15 minutes.

Proper rail systems don't display a timetable on stations at all, they display a COUNTDOWN CLOCK.

Like this one:

I got the weirdest look when I asked if they had any printed timetables for the piccadilly line in london  ;D
"Where else but Queensland?"

Fares_Fair

Quote from: colinw on October 30, 2011, 20:24:22 PM

Like this one:

:-t

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Questions without Notice 15th November 2011
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_11_15_DAILY.pdf

Public Transport, Safety

Mr EMERSON: My question is to the Minister for Transport and Multicultural Affairs. Given that
the most recent quarterly TransLink Tracker shows that commuters believe that train travel has become
less safe, why is the minister making people feel even less safe by scrapping staff at stations?
Ms PALASZCZUK: I would like to thank the member very much for the question. These issues
are the subject of negotiations at the moment, but let me make it very clear to this House that at no
stage will this government ever compromise the security of patrons on stations—not ever, not ever.
There has been no decision made in relation to this issue. However, these stations are some of our least
patronised stations. The idea of reducing employees at some of these least patronised stations would
mean that each of these employees would be redeployed to busier stations. The simple fact is that, as
commuters embrace go cards, the need for certain stations to remain staffed around the clock becomes
less and less. Twelve of these 16 stations—and this is where you are misleading the public, and you
listen to this—
Mr SPEAKER: Order! The honourable minister will direct her comments through the chair.
Ms PALASZCZUK: The member for Indooroopilly. The simple fact is that 12 of these 16 stations
are currently open on weekdays only for the morning peak, between 6 am and 9 am. The other four are
staffed until lunchtime on weekdays. So these stations are not staffed in the afternoon. They are not
staffed all day. They are not staffed in the evening. But every station on our network has security
cameras that protect the security of the patrons. This is our fundamental commitment. There are also
police transit officers and mobile dog patrols.
These are early negotiations. These are issues that the unions will raise with Queensland Rail
and which Queensland Rail will discuss with the unions. There has been no decision made and
discussions will continue.
Whilst I am on my feet talking about transport, I cannot let this opportunity go. Recently the Acting
Premier—the Treasurer—and I announced an incentive for people who regularly use go cards. That is,
after 10 trips people who regularly use our system will be able to travel free on weekends. We have
been waiting weeks and months for a credible transport policy from the opposition. What do they
reveal? What was the stunning revelation of transport policy that the shadow minister has been working
on for months and months? Well, we promised 10. What did they do? They promised nine. This is
'Copycat' Campbell. They could not even explain to the public where the money was coming from. You
are a disgrace. You cannot even explain where the money is coming from.
Mr SPEAKER: Order! Honourable the minister, direct your comments through the chair.
Ms PALASZCZUK: Ours is budgeted for and we will continue to invest and grow our public
transport network.
Mr SPEAKER: Order! Honourable the minister, the question was about safety. Come back to the
question.
Ms PALASZCZUK: All you do is cut and slash.
Mr SPEAKER: Order! Come back to the question.
Ms PALASZCZUK: You have no idea when it comes to public transport.

Stillwater

Yesterday in parliamentary question time, the Premier was asked about how her government would fund major infrastructure connected with the staging of the Commonwealth Games in 2018.  During her reply, Ms Bligh said:

Mr Speaker. What is contained in this question—and make no mistake about it—is an attempt to undermine our ability as Queenslanders to deliver a big international event, the Commonwealth Games. Well, let the people of the Gold Coast know this: if they want a government that believes in them, that wants to take their city forward, vote Labor because those opposite oppose every single piece of infrastructure. They opposed rapid transit, they opposed Metricon Stadium, and now they are opposing the Commonwealth Games.

As with the Gold Coast, the people of the Sunshine Coast believe in the future of their city and want to take it forward through construction of major infrastructure.  Ms Bligh tells us that in order to do that, we must vote Labor.

ozbob

Questions without notice 16th November 2011
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_11_16_DAILY.pdf

Public Transport, Safety

Mr EMERSON: My question is to the Minister for Transport. Yesterday the minister defended the
decision to remove staff from train stations and leave them unmanned, saying that those stations were
being monitored by CCTV. How can she defend this statement when only 10 cameras, out of the more
than 6,000, are being monitored live at any one time?
Ms PALASZCZUK: I thank the honourable member for the question, which I think I answered
very comprehensively yesterday. I made it very clear to this House that security on our train stations will
never, at any time, be compromised. I also made it very clear to the member yesterday that this is part of
early-stage negotiations and absolutely no decision has been made. In fact, the member was given a
briefing just yesterday by the CEO of Queensland Rail and also by the chairman of the Queensland Rail
Board, Stephen Gregg, in which he had many opportunities to raise any issues with them, and broad
issues about rail were actually canvassed with him. We have given him full and frank advice in relation
to this issue. As I said—and I will say it again in this House time and time again—I will never at any
stage compromise the safety and security of passengers travelling on our network.
While I am on my feet, I want to address some issues that were raised yesterday by the Lord
Mayor. The Lord Mayor was talking about public transport patronage across our network, especially in
relation to buses. I say to Lord Mayor: if you have concerns about the numbers of people using buses,
why do you continually come to me and have meetings with me demanding that we fund up to 80 new
buses? You need to get the facts on the table. Why does the Lord Mayor continue to reduce his
percentage of contribution to public transport?
Ms Jones: It started under Newman.
Ms PALASZCZUK: That is right. Let us go back to 2004-05. In 2004-05, the Brisbane City
Council's contribution to public transport was basically matched with ours: 50 per cent Brisbane City
Council and 50 per cent state government. What was council's contribution in 2007-08? It went down to
42 per cent. In 2009-10, how much was it? It was 39 per cent. In 2011-12, how much is it? It is 33 per
cent. It started under Newman and continued under Quirk. It is the same old LNP—reduction, reduction,
reduction.
Then I had the Lord Mayor come to me about funding the CityCats. He came to me asking me to
fund CityCat 17 and CityCat 18. Yes, I agreed to that. Then he asked me to fund CityCat 19. The Lord
Mayor has already launched CityCat 19 on the Brisbane River. I am going to say to the Lord Mayor—
and let me make it very clear: if you want a partnership, you sit down at the table, you put your facts and
figures on the table and you put some money on the table. And don't go criticising if you want money
from the state government.

Stillwater

Minister Palaszczuk: Don't go criticising if you want money from the state government.
The message: A vote against government is criticism by the electorate towards that government.  No money for you.

Good ole Sir Joh used to be more blunt, telling people if they wanted a new school or bit of government largess, they had to vote for the local National Party candidate come election time.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

#Metro

Obviously the election is coming up and the usual circus will come to town.
Don't read too much into it.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Ministerial Statements
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_11_17_DAILY.pdf

Infrastructure Plan

Hon. AM BLIGH (South Brisbane—ALP) (Premier and Minister for Reconstruction) (9.35 am):
Earlier this month I launched our finalised Queensland Infrastructure Plan. To build anything you must
start with a plan, and our 20-year plan is a blueprint that maps out nearly 1,000 projects crucial to the
future of our state. Sixty-five per cent of these projects are outside South-East Queensland. The
document is an Australian first. No other state or territory has such a comprehensive state-wide
infrastructure plan. It gives the construction industry a clear line of sight for investment and
development. These are projects that will help cater for population growth, improve people's lives and
drive our regions forward. Among them are nationally significant infrastructure projects and, as such,
they require a national contribution as well as commitments from our state. The Queensland
Infrastructure Plan helps us argue our case and that work is well underway.
To pursue that, the Queensland government has recently made its submission to Infrastructure
Australia in relation to the priority projects that require federal funding. Topping the list are the Cross
River Rail project, three Bruce Highway upgrade projects including the Mackay ring-road and the
Yeppen flood plain upgrade, a second Toowoomba range crossing and the Eastern Busway. The Cross
River Rail is again our No. 1 priority. It will deliver a world-class inner urban transport system for our
capital city.

Our other top four projects are all vital arteries for the movement of freight—national highways
that deserve national funding. New projects in the submission are an upgrade of the Warrego Highway
from Helidon to Morven and the north Brisbane cycleway. Rounding out the submission is the Gateway
Motorway upgrade north, the Mount Isa to Townsville rail corridor including the Townsville eastern
access corridor, Pacific Motorway upgrades, the Abbot Point multipurpose cargo facility and the Gold
Coast heavy rail extension. It is Labor that has done the hard work to pull together this comprehensive
plan, one of the most comprehensive in the nation. It is only Labor that has delivered a blueprint for
Queensland that will deliver a bright future for us all.

colinw

Quote from: Stillwater on November 17, 2011, 07:58:49 AM

Minister Palaszczuk: Don't go criticising if you want money from the state government.
The message: A vote against government is criticism by the electorate towards that government.  No money for you.

Yes, we saw that policy play out up in Glasshouse.  ALP member voted out, duplication to Landsborough goes from "ready to roll" to "by 2020 if you're lucky" within a matter of days.

Just like in Joh's day, except the boot is on the left foot now.

ozbob

Final sitting days for Parliament for this year are 29th, 30th November and 1st December.

Jonno

Quote from: Stillwater on November 17, 2011, 07:58:49 AM

The message: A vote against government is criticism by the electorate towards that government.  No money for you.

Good ole Sir Joh used to be more blunt, telling people if they wanted a new school or bit of government largess, they had to vote for the local National Party candidate come election time.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Whilst this is true in the instance the context is different. BCC is stripping PT funding to pay for tunnels, asking the State Govt to buy buses/ferries, then claim browny points for buying them and criticizing the price rises. I think I would have said the same thing!

Gazza

I think Bligh should be asked how we are paying for GC 2018..... It obviously strikes a raw nerve and makes her go mental if anybody questions it.
I think she secretly knows it perhaps was a bit of an indulgence for her home town at this point re the budget and other community needs, and hence is very self concious and defensive.

Stillwater

Got it in one, Gazza.  In ancient Rome, when the Caesar of the day felt his popularity waning, he would fire up the Colosseum and toss a few more Christians to the lions to amuse the masses and distract them from affairs of state.  The Commonwealth/Olympic Games are the modern-day equivalent.

I bet those enjoying the bread and circuses in ancient times thought Caesar was paying for the party, only to realise subsequently that their taxes were involved.  Back then, a broke Rome could send the army to conquer another hapless people or country to bring back more wealth to replenish state coffers.

Perhaps Queensland should subjugate NSW.  Oh wait, we do that with State of Origin.   :-X

colinw

Gazza

That said, Im not gonna be a spoilsport and say they should be cancelled or whatever.
But the bid sort of begun when the asset sales begun, so why bid in the first place?

And yes, it will generate econmic benefits, but I reckon the 2 bil spent on education or transport would have generated even more economic benefits.

And why is a 2 week event used as justification for delivering infrastructure. Why not deliver it because it's the right thing to do for the 500000k people that live every day of their life there.
It's  cheaper to Just build the supporting transport infrastructure etc, but leave out the useless stadiums and arenas.

Plus, I secretly wanted to see what happened when Hamitoba hosted, but they lost. FML.

SurfRail

Quote from: Gazza on November 18, 2011, 09:45:13 AMAnd why is a 2 week event used as justification for delivering infrastructure. Why not deliver it because it's the right thing to do for the 500000k people that live every day of their life there.
It's  cheaper to Just build the supporting transport infrastructure etc, but leave out the useless stadiums and arenas.

Commonwealth funding.  Gives us higher priority in a limited pool (notionally anyway, which is still better than not at all).

To think otherwise is to assume that the people running this country know how to plan and build infrastructure based on need and utility, which would not be borne out by observation over the past 40 years.
Ride the G:

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on November 17, 2011, 17:27:48 PM
Ministerial Statements
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_11_17_DAILY.pdf

Infrastructure Plan

Hon. AM BLIGH (South Brisbane—ALP) (Premier and Minister for Reconstruction) (9.35 am):
Earlier this month I launched our finalised Queensland Infrastructure Plan. To build anything you must
start with a plan, and our 20-year plan is a blueprint that maps out nearly 1,000 projects crucial to the
future of our state. Sixty-five per cent of these projects are outside South-East Queensland. The
document is an Australian first. No other state or territory has such a comprehensive state-wide
infrastructure plan. It gives the construction industry a clear line of sight for investment and
development. These are projects that will help cater for population growth, improve people's lives and
drive our regions forward. Among them are nationally significant infrastructure projects and, as such,
they require a national contribution as well as commitments from our state. The Queensland
Infrastructure Plan helps us argue our case and that work is well underway.
To pursue that, the Queensland government has recently made its submission to Infrastructure
Australia in relation to the priority projects that require federal funding. Topping the list are the Cross
River Rail project, three Bruce Highway upgrade projects including the Mackay ring-road and the
Yeppen flood plain upgrade, a second Toowoomba range crossing and the Eastern Busway. The Cross
River Rail is again our No. 1 priority. It will deliver a world-class inner urban transport system for our
capital city.

Our other top four projects are all vital arteries for the movement of freight—national highways
that deserve national funding. New projects in the submission are an upgrade of the Warrego Highway
from Helidon to Morven and the north Brisbane cycleway. Rounding out the submission is the Gateway
Motorway upgrade north, the Mount Isa to Townsville rail corridor including the Townsville eastern
access corridor, Pacific Motorway upgrades, the Abbot Point multipurpose cargo facility and the Gold
Coast heavy rail extension. It is Labor that has done the hard work to pull together this comprehensive
plan, one of the most comprehensive in the nation. It is only Labor that has delivered a blueprint for

Wrong, NOT for the Sunshine Coast, Premier.
This is deplorable.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

colinw

So the Bruce Highway is deserving of massive upgrades, but the NCL / Sunshine Coast line get nothing?

Or is the plan to create passenger capacity on the existing single track by killing off the freight traffic and moving it onto road?

SteelPan

Can I ask a really simple question please.  

Why, does the Qld Govt have such an opposition to increasing train frequencies?  To be honest, the costs of increasing network frequency by say 50% over the next two years would not be that great.  [Remember, this is the group of politicans who recently admitted to "ONLY" losing $109m of taxpayers money on a failed coal gasification project recently -surely, spending not losing say a hundred and nine million dollars on more train services might be a smarter investment!]   :conf
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

#Metro

QuoteIt is only Labor that has delivered a blueprint for

Of course, this statement is actually true. I mean, is it possible for the opposition to deliver on their plans while in opposition... ???

LOL.

More useless hot air from the spin machine... other side isn't much better either.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Quote from: SteelPan on November 18, 2011, 18:33:44 PM
Can I ask a really simple question please.  

Why, does the Qld Govt have such an opposition to increasing train frequencies?  To be honest, the costs of increasing network frequency by say 50% over the next two years would not be that great.  [Remember, this is the group of politicans who recently admitted to "ONLY" losing $109m of taxpayers money on a failed coal gasification project recently -surely, spending not losing say a hundred and nine million dollars on more train services might be a smarter investment!]   :conf
I believe they look at the total cost per service at present and its patronage and assume that a 10% increase in services would increase costs by 10%.  Which is incorrect.  I believe NSW is the same.

SteelPan

I believe they look at the total cost per service at present and its patronage and assume that a 10% increase in services would increase costs by 10%.  Which is incorrect.  I believe NSW is the same.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.
I would have thought the secret to a good rail service was build the hard infrastructure (corridor etc) and work the thing as hard as you reasonably can (train services).

The real net cost of 50% increase in train services on a corridor cannot be that great - I DO acknowledge a cost rise, but I say again, not that great.  A driver, train unit, (guard??), security is already 24/7, signalling already 24/7, cleaning already 24/7, maintance already has, is and will be performed!  Indeed, is there not an argument that INCREASING unit frequency LOWERS fixed operational costs???

The above does not factor in increased community acceptence of PT knowing services are more frequent - ie, greater fare revenue.
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

somebody

Lowers cost per service.  There is evidence, based on the experience across the world that it may lower cost per trip.

HappyTrainGuy

Don't forget its Translink that decides on the services and not the provider.

Gazza

Something funny I was thinking about.
I've always found the average question time pretty weak.

How do you reckon they would go, against people like us who regularly argue and debate online (Or anyone else out there on the internets)

Personally I think the average online forum user would absolutley demolish any pollie in a debate, but that's just me.

Maybe that's something the CM could do in the lead up to the election...'Community question time.' Would be hilarious.

ozbob

Ministerial Statement 17 May 2012

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2012/2012_05_17_DAILY.pdf

QuotePublic Transport

Hon. SA EMERSON (Indooroopilly—LNP) (Minister for Transport and Main Roads) (2.21 pm):
The Newman LNP government has moved to deliver real cost-of-living relief for Queensland families
who use their car or public transport in South-East Queensland. In the final months of her time as
transport minister, the Leader of the Opposition delivered the worst levels of customer satisfaction for
affordability ever for public transport users in South-East Queensland while at the same time she was
expecting passengers to pay an extra 15 per cent each year, leading to some of the highest public
transport fares in the world. Is it any wonder that passengers were walking away from public transport
and getting back in their cars?

The LNP has a clear plan to make go card travel in South-East Queensland more affordable by
delivering free trips after nine journeys in a Monday to Sunday week from 25 June. For a regular
Monday to Friday commuter, that may mean free travel home on a Friday afternoon and a potential
saving of $150 to $220 for most commuters who travel in one, two or three zones. For people coming
from the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, this could mean a potential saving of up to $500 a year.
On top of this, we will halve the Leader of the Opposition and Labor's planned fare hikes in 2013 and
2014. For those who travel by car, we will also deliver real cost-of-living relief by freezing family car
registration. From 1 July 2012, 2013 and 2014 Queensland families will pay the same registration fee as
they did in the current financial year. Let us contrast this to paying registration fees under Labor—a
$107.55 increase in four years since 2008 for a standard six-cylinder car, or more than 30 per cent. The
LNP understands the pressure that Labor's relentless hikes in public transport fares and car registration
fees put on the family budget, and that is why we are committed to cost-of-living relief for families.

Today I spoke to Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and Ipswich Show organisers about a track closure
on the Ipswich and Rosewood lines this weekend at the same time as the Ipswich Show. I let them know
that I was disappointed that this maintenance work was clashing with such an important event. As
someone who was born in Ipswich, I understand how important the Ipswich Show is to the community
and it is extraordinary that the former transport minister allowed this to occur. The track work was
scheduled in January 2012—before I became transport minister—under the previous Labor government
and under the previous transport minister and now Leader of the Opposition. That was several months
before the show date was announced. Unfortunately, because of this erroneous decision by the now
Leader of the Opposition, I have been advised that the cost to the taxpayer to reschedule these
substantial works at this late stage after the now Leader of the Opposition made the decision in January
would be approximately $370,000. Given this cost, I believe the maintenance work should proceed.

Madam SPEAKER: Order! I ask the minister to start to wind up.

Mr EMERSON: Thank you, Madam Speaker. I have been advised by Queensland Rail that all
routes are to be adequately covered by buses to assist showgoers.
The Newman government has also taken its first steps to solving a major rail congestion problem
through the heart of Brisbane. I recently appointed an expert panel tasked to review the Cross River Rail
project and to assist to deliver a realistic solution to this rail capacity crisis after seven years of inaction.
The former Labor government had known about the looming crisis in 2016 with regard to capacity on the
Merivale Bridge since 2005 and delivered nothing in seven years. Before the election, Labor had an
$8 billion proposal it could not afford. Three weeks out from the election, the now Leader of the
Opposition said it was a $7 billion proposal it could not afford. Just two weeks out from the election,
Labor then had a $6.4 billion proposal it could not afford.

The LNP government needs to be sure that the numbers stack up and that the next major
investment in rail is affordable before committing to a multibillion-dollar project. I welcome the comments
in the media today by Infrastructure Australia's Michael Deegan backing this approach, saying—
I think it is sensible for a new government to come and do a short, sharp review just to check our view ... I think that is a very
positive thing.

The panel will deliver a report on 13 June 2012 that will properly analyse and confirm the problems
facing the public transport rail system, consider the options available, assess the business case—

Madam SPEAKER: Order! I ask the minister to start to wind up so we can do other government
business.

Mr EMERSON: Yes, Madam Speaker. The panel will assess the business case already prepared
for the project and provide recommendations for consideration by the Newman government. The
Newman government will be a passenger-focused government improving frequency,reliability and
affordability for passengers and it will restore confidence in our public transport network.

Fares_Fair

6 Notice Paper for Thursday, 31 May 2012

PANEL OF TEMPORARY SPEAKERS

Mrs Cunningham, Mr Berry, Mr Ruthenberg, Mr Watts

QUESTIONS ON NOTICE
Only those relevant to transport issues shown (FF addition in italic)

The following questions were asked on Wednesday, 30 May 2012. In accordance with the Standing Orders, answers are required by email to TableOffice@parliament.qld.gov.au by Friday, 29 June 2012.

MR KATTER ASKED THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS (MR EMERSON)—
Will the Minister continue to allow the use of sleeper trains for train drivers operating on old, windy and unsafe sections of rail between Townsville and Cloncurry and commit to investigating the impact on regional communities such as Cloncurry if sleeper trains are allowed and maintenance staff and drivers are based out of centralised locations such as Townsville?

MR RICKUSS ASKED THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS (MR EMERSON)—
Will the Minister advise the number of trips taken (including return trips) on the Translink service from Gatton to Rosewood between 1 September and 30 September for the years 2009, 2010 and 2011?

MRS CUNNINGHAM ASKED THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS (MR EMERSON)—
Following the Minister's visit last week to Gladstone, will the Minister commit to urgent investment in arterial roads in Gladstone, such as Kin Kora roundabout, Pt Curtis Way and Benaraby Road?

DR ROBINSON ASKED THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS (MR EMERSON)—
Will the Minister advise on plans to reduce the risk of failure on the Cleveland line?
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

Notice Paper for Wednesday, 6 June 2012  7

MS   TRAD   ASKED   THE   MINISTER   FOR   TRANSPORT   AND   MAIN   ROADS   (MR EMERSON)—
Will the Minister advise details of the planned extra services on the Translink network for the
remainder of the 2012 calendar year?
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

That means the question was placed on notice today (not due for an answer by today)?

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Simon on June 06, 2012, 13:05:36 PM
That means the question was placed on notice today (not due for an answer by today)?

Correct, was asked yesterday. Answer due:
QUESTIONS ON NOTICE
The  following  questions  were  asked  on  Tuesday,  5  June  2012.  In  accordance  with  the  Standing
Orders, answers are required by email to TableOffice@parliament.qld.gov.au by Thursday, 5 July
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2012/2012_08_01_DAILY.pdf

Ministerial Statements

QuoteInfrastructure Australia, Queensland Submission
Hon. CKT NEWMAN (Ashgrove—LNP) (Premier) (2.04 pm): My government came into office
with a promise of delivering better infrastructure and better planning. Immediate action has been taken
to deliver on this commitment. This government is getting Queensland back on track through, firstly, the
creation of a new department dedicated to delivering better infrastructure and better planning under the
leadership of the Deputy Premier; secondly, the formation of Infrastructure Queensland to provide the
government with advice on infrastructure planning and development; and, thirdly, the establishment of
Projects Queensland within Treasury to identify new and innovative ways of funding and delivering
infrastructure projects. I pause for a moment to remark on how delighted we are that Mr David Stewart
has taken on the role of heading up Projects Queensland.
I am pleased to advise the House that we are taking further action to deal with the major
infrastructure challenges facing the state. In Queensland's 2012 submission to Infrastructure Australia,
to be lodged this Friday, 3 August, my government is pursuing federal funding commitments, with the
top 3 priorities identified as, firstly, fixing the Bruce Highway; secondly, delivering a Brisbane inner-city
rail solution package—
Ms Palaszczuk: Cross River Rail?
Mr NEWMAN:—and, thirdly, delivering a second Toowoomba range crossing. I take the
interjection. I think they first spoke about Cross River Rail in 2005 or 2006. Where is it? It is a nowhere
project to date.
The Bruce Highway is the main artery of Queensland's transport network and it is critical for the
efficient, reliable and safe movement of people and freight. Fixing the Bruce Highway is my
government's top priority, and Queensland's submission to Infrastructure Australia seeks funding to
progressively upgrade this highway.
The government has also committed to providing $1 billion towards fixing the Bruce Highway on
the condition that the Commonwealth government urgently brings forward expenditure to fix this link
within 10 years. The Bruce Highway Crisis Management Group has been established and has been
given six months to deliver an engineering based, 10-year Bruce Highway crisis action plan.
During the election my government committed to reviewing the previous government's plan for
the multimillion dollar Cross River Rail project. An independent expert panel was appointed to undertake
this review.
Ms Palaszczuk: What about your Cleveland solution?
Mr NEWMAN: In response, the Brisbane inner-city rail solution package has been developed
based on the key findings of this review. This package includes, firstly, early capacity works comprising
short- to medium-term initiatives valued at around $300 million to make the best use of existing
infrastructure and services to facilitate increased rail capacity. I will stop for a second because that is
what those opposite interjecting right now would never do because they simply did not get it and would
not work hard enough.
The package also includes core work comprising the Cross River Rail north-south core project
between Yeerongpilly and Victoria Park. We are going to do everything we can to value engineer that
down from the current estimate of approximately $4.4 billion. There are still savings to be made. Work is
currently underway to get on with the whole project.
Inclusion of the Toowoomba range second crossing as a top priority project reflects my
government's commitment to deliver on the infrastructure needs of rural and regional Queensland. The
new route is proposed between Helidon Spa and the Warrego Highway interchange at Charlton and will
play a pivotal role in the national transport network and the developing energy sector of the Surat Basin.
The Warrego Highway is a nationally significant freight route, and allowing heavy vehicles to bypass
Toowoomba will significantly improve the livability of this major regional city.
The government's priority projects need significant federal funding to be delivered, and my
government

ozbob

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2012/2012_08_01_DAILY.pdf

Questions without notice

QuotePublic Transport
Mr DAVIES: My question without notice is to the Minister for Transport and Main Roads. Could
the minister please outline to the House actions he has taken to revitalise public transport and make it
more affordable, frequent and reliable?
Mr EMERSON: I thank the honourable member for his question. I know that he is committed to
improving public transport. Let me just remind colleagues of the situation we inherited coming into office
in terms of public transport. What we saw was record low affordability after endless 15 per cent
increases by Labor in fares; according to the TransLink tracker less than 50 per cent in terms of
affordability for trains and just over 50 per cent for buses and ferries. We also saw people walking away
from public transport. There were 4 million fewer trips being taken in the last six months of 2011
compared to the same period in the previous year. Record low affordability and fewer people taking
public transport is what we inherited.
One of the key initiatives from the LNP that we put in place on 25 June was our free trips after
nine journeys. What a great success that has been. What a wonderful success that has been in terms of
combating cost-of-living pressures and making public transport more affordable. Just in the first month
we have seen more than 500,000 free trips being taken under that policy—more than half a million trips
being taken. Just last week we saw a record 75,000 passengers taking up that policy of free trips after
nine journeys. It is a magnificent result, a runaway success.
Ms Trad: But you have to sack 2,000 people to pay for it.
Mr EMERSON: I take the interjection from the member for South Brisbane. I did see her
comments recently in the media and today she is again attacking that policy of free trips after nine
journeys. She is very negative about the great success of a cost-of-living initiative that makes public
transport more affordable. But, colleagues, let me say that not everyone on Labor's side is negative
about that policy. There is someone who says it is a great policy.
Mr Newman: Who?
Mr EMERSON: Yes, Premier, who would say that? Well, it is the Leader of the Opposition.
Mr Newman: Hang on, which Leader of the Opposition?
Mr EMERSON: Premier, I will get to that in a second. The Leader of the Opposition told ABC
Radio, on the issue of government successes, that she welcomed this policy and she felt that
commuters would welcome it as well. But what do we see? We see the member for South Brisbane
bagging the policy after she knows the Leader of the Opposition has supported it. What we see is the
member for South Brisbane right behind the back of the Leader of the Opposition, just sitting there right
behind her back, just waiting, bagging her leader. Colleagues, we all know what is coming.

ozbob

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2012/2012_07_31_DAILY.pdf

Questions without notice

QuoteDepartment of Transport and Main Roads
Mr JUDGE: My question without notice is to the Minister for Transport and Main Roads. Can the
minister outline how forward planning and responsible budgeting is helping to fix the foundations of the
state's finances and what this means for the Department of Transport and Main Roads?
Mr EMERSON: I thank the honourable member for his question. The Newman government is
making the tough decisions now to tackle the cost-of-living pressures on Queensland families. In the
Department of Transport and Main Roads and TransLink, that will mean a restructure to deliver more
efficient infrastructure and more affordable services. It is under this new structure that the Newman
government will deliver the major reforms in the transport industry, along with the cost-of-living savings
required to get Queensland back on track.
All Queensland government passenger transport services will be integrated for the first time
under the TransLink banner. No longer will there be two separate government agencies, as there was
under Labor, doing the same task in different areas of the state. These were the types of additional costs
which Labor was passing on to passengers in the form of five consecutive 15 per cent fare increases
which resulted in the lowest public transport affordability ever. TransLink will no longer operate as a
statutory authority confined to the state's south-east. It will become part of the department to oversee
the qconnect bus network, travel train services and school bus services, along with subsidised regional
airline, coach and ferry services. The TransLink board will be removed and the department will remain in
five divisions with the number of senior executives almost halved from 37 to 21.
When the Leader of the Opposition was transport minister, she handed out 818 voluntary
redundancies valued at $76 million and at the same time added 918 new positions. In order to clean up
her mess, there will be targeted staff reductions in corporate, support and RoadTek roles within the
department and TransLink of 18 per cent, or 1,970 full-time equivalents, saving $287 million over the
next four years. This includes a restructure of RoadTek, which is also underway, to provide more
affordable transport projects by reducing the cost of delivering infrastructure back below the national
average. This will mean a reduction of 600 full-time equivalent positions due to the work being tendered
to the private industry in mature markets such as South-East Queensland.
These decisions are not easy but the alternative is the Labor way—a state plunging towards a
projected $100 billion debt and a state where cost-of-living items, such as fares and registration,
continue to skyrocket. This structure will deliver improved outcomes for Queenslanders, whether you
are a business tendering for work, whether you are travelling across the state or whether you are using
any of the hundreds of services offered by the department.

ozbob

Questions without notice

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2012/2012_08_02_DAILY.pdf

QuoteTransLink Board
Ms TRAD: My question without notice is to the Minister for Transport and Main Roads. Will the
minister explain why he chose to sack the TransLink board and convert an independent statutory
authority into a unit reporting to Michael Caltabiano rather than allow public transport services to be
delivered by one independent organisation free from political influence?
Mr EMERSON: I am feeling the love today. I am feeling the love today!
Ms Trad: You've been so starved in your life!
Government members interjected.
Madam SPEAKER: Order! I can feel the love in the chamber here today, but I will ask members
to cease the interjections. I call the Minister for Transport and Main Roads.
Mr EMERSON: Thank you, Madam Speaker. I do appreciate that pledge of undying love from the
member for South Brisbane. If only the Leader of the Opposition had that same feeling about her!
Madam SPEAKER: Order! We have had some levity, but I would ask for the minister to answer
the question and stay relevant to the question.
Mr EMERSON: Thank you, Madam Speaker, and I will answer the question of course. As I
announced in this chamber a short time ago—and obviously Labor was not listening, again—we have
made this decision to ensure that we have a more efficient and effective public transport system. When
TransLink was formed in 2008, there were concerns raised. While there was some support for it, there
were concerns raised across the LNP as to whether it was being done properly. While there were those
who saw some benefits from it, there were underlying concerns raised by members about TransLink and
how it was being set up.
The reality is that we are looking to make a more efficient, effective and affordable system—the
kinds of things that Labor failed to do year in and year out. I will go through the figures again, because I
know the Leader of the Opposition loves to hear those figures being mentioned in terms of her record as
transport minister—record low affordability, rail reliability at a three-year low and passengers walking
away. We are trying to get people back on to buses, back on to trains and back on to ferries—the exact
opposite of what was happening under Labor. Members should not forget what Labor's single policy
was on public transport. What was its single policy?
Mr Nicholls: Increase fares!
Mr EMERSON: I take the interjection from the Treasurer, because that was Labor's single
policy—15 per cent increases year in and year out. What was the result of that? It drove people away.
What is the LNP doing as we look at cost of living? We are halving Labor's planned increases and giving
free travel after nine journeys. That is what we are doing. They are the kinds of things that we are doing.
I welcome question after question from Labor, because when I look over there I see the seven
members. Do members know who they remind me of? The New South Wales State of Origin team: zero
for seven. They are the New South Wales State of Origin team. If they keep asking the questions I will
keep coming back to them, because their record on public transport is appalling. That is what it is.

🡱 🡳