• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Maldon-Dombarton rail link gets prime ministerial boost

Started by ozbob, October 19, 2011, 09:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From Transport and Logistic News click here!

Maldon-Dombarton rail link gets prime ministerial boost

QuoteMaldon-Dombarton rail link gets prime ministerial boost

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced an additional $25.5 million to advance the Maldon to Dombarton rail link project during her recent visit to the Illawarra.

The announcement follows a recent feasibility study, which concluded a new rail line would support the rapidly expanding resources sector in New South Wales by giving the mining sector more direct access to Port Kembla.

The study found the railway line would also free up capacity along the existing Illawarra Line for additional passenger services.

The final project would involve laying 35 kilometres of standard gauge track connecting the Main North-South Line directly to Port Kembla via Dombarton.

This new piece of rail infrastructure would also consist of two passing loops, bridges over the Nepean and Cordeaux Rivers and one of Australia's longest tunnels (see map).

Commencing this financial year, the pre-construction activities will include:

Preparation of detailed design work for civil, structural, geotechnical and track work necessary for the future construction of the project.
    Finalisation of a realistic construction timetable and cost estimate for the project.

Once the pre-construction activities are completed, the project will then be considered for inclusion in the next Nation Building Program.

The Maldon to Dombarton rail link was first mooted in 1979, but was cancelled in 1988 by the Greiner Government.

The full study and its findings are now available at: www.infrastructure.gov.au.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

colinw

The extra capacity into Wollongong would be welcome, given that the existing South Coast line is heavily constrained by the single track tunnel at Coalcliff.

A surprising amount of coal traffic uses the South Coast line via Waterfall. Last week, between North Wollongong & Sutherland I counted four loaded coalies running toward the 'Gong, and the train I was on also passed under one on the Metropolitan Colliery branch (which has points facing Sydney, but I assume the locos run around & the train goes to Port Kembla).

Much of this coal traffic comes from the west (Blue Mountains & past Lithgow), so diverting via Maldon Dombarton would free up some capacity closer to Sydney and on the South Coast line, but at the expense of more traffic on the Main South via Campbelltown.  I assume the coalies from the west would go around the Harris Park Y link under this scenario?

somebody

Quote from: colinw on October 19, 2011, 10:17:54 AM
I assume the coalies from the west would go around the Harris Park Y link under this scenario?
As would I.  I'd also assume that they use the SSFL from around Cabramatta.  Otherwise there wouldn't be enough capacity for the passenger trains Liverpool-Cabramatta.

If this can remove all the freight from Thirroul-Tempe, that opens up a lot of possibilities for passenger.  The line doesn't stack up for freight on its own as they can more easily upgrade Moss Vale-Unanderra - the FAQ in the link says this last bit.  If it removes 95% of the freight, I don't reckon it's worth it.

colinw

It won't be 100% removal of freight because you still have the coal loading points at Coalcliff & Metropolitan Colliery, but it should achieve a significant reduction.  Also, doesn't some steel traffic run from Port Kembla, across Sydney and thence up the NCL to Acacia Ridge?

IMHO one of the problems with the Maldon - Dombarton line was that it does duplicate an existing link, although somewhat more directly. It also fails to avoid the steepest grade on the escarpment, which is from Unanderra to Dombarton.

somebody

Quote from: colinw on October 19, 2011, 10:48:54 AM
It also fails to avoid the steepest grade on the escarpment, which is from Unanderra to Dombarton.
That is a big failing.  1 in 30 is something of a problem.  Spiral?  Or is it not as bad as first apparent due to the uphill trains being the empties?

I'd guess the steelies could use the Dombarton-Maldon link with enough motive power.

somebody

It won't be 100% removal of freight because you still have the coal loading points at Coalcliff & Metropolitan Colliery, but it should achieve a significant reduction.  
Perhaps that's not a huge problem so long as these coal loaders are heading towards Pt Kembla.  I'm more thinking about having more trains on the Illawarra to Waterfall/Cronulla.

As well as a faster alignment for the Interurbans.

EDIT: Isn't there freight down near Bombaderry?  Where's that run to?

colinw

Quote from: Simon on October 19, 2011, 11:14:46 AM
It also fails to avoid the steepest grade on the escarpment, which is from Unanderra to Dombarton.
That is a big failing.  1 in 30 is something of a problem.  Spiral?  Or is it not as bad as first apparent due to the uphill trains being the empties?

I'd guess the steelies could use the Dombarton-Maldon link with enough motive power.

That, combined with the long Avon tunnel, was the reason why this was going to be NSW's first 25KV AC line.  The stanchions from Unanderra to Dombarton are already in place.

colinw

Quote from: Simon on October 19, 2011, 11:41:51 AM

There's an active freight spur beyond Bomaderry that goes along the river. You can see it on Google maps, including what looks like a rake of wagons.  Cement works or something like that?

I think there's also some traffic from a couple of spurs around Kembla Grange.

Not sure, they may be a quarry spur down that way somewhere as well. I've not been south of Unanderra by rail.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: colinw on October 19, 2011, 12:32:58 PM
Quote from: Simon on October 19, 2011, 11:41:51 AM

There's an active freight spur beyond Bomaderry that goes along the river. You can see it on Google maps, including what looks like a rake of wagons.  Cement works or something like that?

I think there's also some traffic from a couple of spurs around Kembla Grange.

Not sure, they may be a quarry spur down that way somewhere as well. I've not been south of Unanderra by rail.

You really do get around, colinw.  :-t

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

colinw

Not as much as I'd like to. I spend far too much time chained to my computer at work.  >:(

Stillwater

Has all the CRR pre-construction activity, including the business case, been completed?  If not, Maldon-Dombarton may squeeze ahead in the priority of projects that are 'construction ready' and eligible for federal infrastructure funding.

SurfRail

Quote from: Stillwater on October 19, 2011, 15:38:09 PM
Has all the CRR pre-construction activity, including the business case, been completed?  If not, Maldon-Dombarton may squeeze ahead in the priority of projects that are 'construction ready' and eligible for federal infrastructure funding.

It's probably been construction ready since Greiner killed it off!
Ride the G:

somebody

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/bhp-rules-out-using-maldondombarton-line/2329844.aspx

QuoteBHP rules out using Maldon-Dombarton line
BY BEN LANGFORD
20 Oct, 2011 04:00 AM
The world's largest miner, BHP Billiton, would not use the Maldon-Dombarton rail line to transport coal from its Illawarra mines to the Port Kembla coal terminal.

It is a blow to the forecast demand for the proposed rail line, as BHP Billiton sends seven million tonnes of coal a year to Port Kembla for export.

The stance of BHP Billiton - and subsidiary Illawarra Coal - is revealed in consultant ACIL Tasman's feasibility study into the Maldon-Dombarton link.

The miner's submission said while it supported the rail link proposal, there was "no likelihood" it would use the line.

The feasibility study said that moving output from Illawarra Coal's Appin and West Cliff mines to the new rail line would save $21 million over 20 years in costs associated with road accidents, congestion, road degradation and pollution from road transport.

It said the two mines generated 70 per cent of the road freight considered "contestable" by the new line.

ACIL Tasman concluded new government measures may be needed to force coal onto the rails, such as making rail freight a condition of a mine's expansion.

In Wollongong on Tuesday, Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced $25.5 million to further progress the rail link, but stopped short of a full commitment to completing the project.

The feasibility study found there would be demand for more than 12 million tonnes a year of coal on the line, but it would come from mines near Lithgow rather than the Bulli seam operations.

"There is a strong local interest in reducing the number of trucks, or at least in reducing their growth, on the major arterial roads serving Port Kembla, and a view that a Maldon-Dombarton line would help do that," the study said.

"The evidence does not support this view. The owner of the colliery that is expected to provide the most significant growth of trucks, BHP, has stated that 'it is neither economically feasible nor environmentally sound to consider a rail connection to the Maldon to Dombarton rail link at this time'.

"To reduce truck numbers, other policies would be required such as restrictions on mining licences and changes to road user charges."

The main reason Illawarra Coal would not use the rail line was found to be the cost of new infrastructure to send its coal about 13km to meet the train.

"It is neither economically feasible nor environmentally sound to consider a rail connection to the Maldon-Dombarton rail link at this time," the miner's submission said.

Yesterday, Illawarra Coal head of external affairs John Brannon said the rail line would have benefits, but the company would not use it.

"Illawarra Coal remains supportive of the Maldon-Dombarton rail link proposal but cannot make a commitment to the use of such a facility as Illawarra Coal's existing operations are geographically remote from the proposed alignment of the rail link," he said.

Xstrata's Tahmoor colliery is considered a more likely candidate to use the line.

Seems a bit of a blow.  Couldn't the 13km be linked with a rail line the hard bit has been done if Maldon-Dombarton goes through.

colinw

Junction at Maldon -> click here.  The half completed bridge can be easily seen.

Line would pass under the Hume Hwy -> click here

Completed formation leading to bridge over Cordeaux River -> click here

Completed formation can then be followed all the way to the west portal of the Avon Tunnel -> click here

East portal of Avon Tunnel & junction with Unanderra - Moss Vale line at Dombarton -> click here.

Dombarton to Unanderra was duplicated as part of the project, and even has electrification masts in place.

For comparison, here's BHP's Appin Colliery -> click here

Looks to me like a line from Appin Colliery to the Maldon - Dombarton line would roughly follow Wilton Road, and would require a decent size bridge over the Cataract River.  I am comfortable with regulating such traffic onto rail, either by direct regulation or by road user charges to fully recover road infrastructure, damage & social costs.

somebody

I wouldn't be so comfortable with direct regulation, but full cost recovery seems completely fair.

colinw

Direct regulation would be a last resort, agree that a pricing mechanism is to be preferred.

ghostryder

Colin
There are a number of loaded steel WB3 services each week that run to ACR each week. The number running to ACR depends on loadING and operational requirements. Currently these trains run with between 2 or 3 locos drawn from the NR and AN class units. The WB service has a 80km/h speed limit on it due to some of the wagons within the consist which makes it a long slow run.

scott

somebody

Quote from: ghostryder on October 23, 2011, 14:36:45 PM
Colin
There are a number of loaded steel WB3 services each week that run to ACR each week. The number running to ACR depends on loadING and operational requirements. Currently these trains run with between 2 or 3 locos drawn from the NR and AN class units. The WB service has a 80km/h speed limit on it due to some of the wagons within the consist which makes it a long slow run.

scott
W = Woolloongong?
B = Brisbane

So if I am understanding you then these would need to run uphill to take advantage of the proposed link.

What other freight runs through Waterfall?

colinw

Scott,

Thanks for the details - I thought there was a Port Kembla to Brisbane steel train and you have confirmed it.  I can't see that going via the Maldon - Dombarton line, as it would have to go up the very steep grade from Unanderra to Dombarton (which is a continuous 1 in 30).

After a bit of googling I can also confirm that there is grain traffic all the way to the end of the line at Bomaderry - the Manildra group has a facility there. I presume that runs via Waterfall?

The more I think about it, the less chance I can see that completing Maldon - Dombarton will eliminate all freight from the section Tempe to Coniston.  Can't see it happening.

cheers,
Colin

somebody

Not sure where that grain traffic is coming from. Could be south of Moss Vale, which makes it irrelevant.  Even if it is currently coming through the CBD, especially from the west, then it could easily* use this link as it is downhill.

* more easy if ECP brakes are fitted.

ghostryder

Simon
yes thats what the W and B stand for. There are several other steel services that run to Whyalla and Perth they would have a similar loading to WB3 and a similar motive power requirement as WB3.
Grain comes from the southern regions western regions and from the northern regions of NSW.

Scott

somebody

Quote from: ghostryder on October 23, 2011, 21:06:39 PM
Simon
yes thats what the W and B stand for. There are several other steel services that run to Whyalla and Perth they would have a similar loading to WB3 and a similar motive power requirement as WB3.
Grain comes from the southern regions western regions and from the northern regions of NSW.

Scott
Why would grain from the north use Pt Kembla?  I can understand from the west, which could use this link.  From the west you should have the improved brakes to get down the roughly 1 in 33 grades down the Blue Mountains.

somebody

Here's the report: http://www.nationbuildingprogram.gov.au/publications/reports/pdf/Maldon_Dombarton_Freight_Rail_Line_Pre_feasibility_Study_Final_Report.pdf

172 pages

QuoteExecutive Summary
Maldon-Dombarton Rail Line Pre-Feasibility Study
H331997-00000-00-124-0003⏐7 JULY 2009 ⏐ PAGE ii
In 2008, the Commonwealth Government called for a pre-feasibility study to complete the proposed
Maldon-Dombarton rail link project on the New South Wales south coast, a project that has lain
dormant for more than two decades.
The NSW Government's Illawarra Regional Strategy (Department of Planning, 2007) includes an aim
to protect strategic transport corridors, including the existing Maldon to Dombarton rail corridor. The
strategy has a strong focus on job creation, including capturing the economic benefits of the expansion
of Port Kembla, to which the completion of the proposed rail line would be a significant contribution.
The proposed Maldon-Dombarton rail line is approximately 35 kilometres, linking the Main South rail
line (National Network) at Maldon (near Picton in south-west Sydney) to an existing 15 kilometres
section of dual track from Dombarton to Port Kembla. Construction work on the Maldon-Dombarton
rail line was started in 1983, but the project was abandoned in 1988 due to downturn in the global
economy and the closure of a number of regional coal mines.
Findings
The key findings of this pre-feasibility study are:
a) Amongst other projects of its size and potential regional impact, the Maldon-Dombarton Line
project may be rather unique. As a project that was stopped mid-construction, it is advanced in
many ways, is located immediately adjacent to the third largest city in the state, will utilise a
wide variety of local materials, blue collar labour and construction plant, offers a wide range of
potential direct and indirect and intangible benefits to primary and tertiary regional trades, has
the potential to become a catalyst for additional trade and commerce in the Illawarra region and
the ability to avoid or forestall other transport congestion issues on both road and rail.
b) Significant site construction, design and detailed research has already been completed and
would enable a fast track to completion of the line, with verification of existing designs to ensure
that they meet acceptable standards, guidelines, legislation and stakeholder expectations.
c) The base cost P50 estimate (50% probability mid-point) for completing the proposed project is
approximately $550 million. It is important that the accuracy of the estimate and confidence
level, qualifications and exclusions be acknowledged (see section 3.10 and Appendix C.
d) The potential income from current freight markets is unlikely to make the capital funding of the
project attractive to a private developer. Whilst the project is attractive from a railway operations
perspective, it has a negative return on investment when the capital cost of the rail line is
included. This negative NPV is not remarkable as the majority of the benefits arising from the
construction of the Maldon-Dombarton rail line, occur in areas external to the constructed
railway. A more detailed study would be needed to determine the value (commercial and
economic) of the benefits that this railway could provide. Indicative Net Present Value
calculations can be found in section 5.6.
However, the range of significant indirect and intangible benefits has not been considered in
this simple financial assessment. A full economic assessment of the project would be required
to accurately identify and quantify the dollar impact of these items. The project is "enabling" in
nature, potentially providing a wide array of significant benefits to other regional trade and
transport assets and businesses well beyond its own footprint.
e) A broad range of trade generation and usage scenarios have been considered and in both
optimistic and pessimistic forms. In all but the most limited and pessimistic scenarios, there
appears to be a business case for trade generation from the project. Major beneficiaries include
the Port of Port Kembla and existing and proposed coal mines in the Appin-Wilton areas, as
well as potential benefits by reducing Sydney road-rail congestion in general and coal and
container movements in particular (see section 5).
f) The potential to create jobs in the region is significant. The total base estimate of direct manhours
for the construction programme (approximately 1,200,000 hours over 39 months) would
provide a considerable stimulus to the local construction industry and positively impact on the
current Illawarra unemployment. Given the nature of the works, additional regional economic
multipliers would suggest that as many or more indirect jobs may also be created.
g) The 35 kilometres rail corridor appears not to have been compromised by any development.
Much of the earthworks and completed components of bridge construction remain in place and
in serviceable condition.
h) Further studies are required to assess the project on environmental, social and economic
criteria. These criteria are important, however they were not within the scope of this study.
i) New intermodal freight corridors serving south western Sydney industrial areas may be required
by 2020 due to road and rail congestion. An improved rail linkage to south western Sydney
would represent a freight opportunity for the port of Port Kembla by improving its cost and
service levels and giving an access advantage to potential southern and western Sydney inland
intermodal freight facilities. The Maldon-Dombarton Rail Line could become the critical link in a
Port Kembla-based container supply chain to handle forecast growth in demand for the Greater
Sydney region.
j) Considering the 2020 scenario, without the Maldon-Dombarton rail line, there will be a
significant increase in congestion on the Illawarra South Coast Line to a point where future
growth in the region may be limited. This includes possible limits to the planned increase in coal
exports via the Port Kembla Coal Terminal from 12 million tonnes per annum to almost 25
million tonnes per annum, as well as limiting the capacity to provide increased rail commuter
transport to the greater Sydney area. The effect of the anticipated capacity limitation will occur
well before 2020 and will impose limitations on the creation of wealth and employment in the
southern regions of NSW.
k) Issues associated with the long 1-in-30 grades are less now than at the time of the original
proposal for the Maldon-Dombarton rail line due to improvements in locomotive technology; and
l) The line also offers potential haulage savings by requiring lesser locomotive power per tonne of
coal and an opportunity to rationalise the maintenance liability of other sections of Illawarra rail
links.
Requirements for Delivery
One of the most unique features of this project is that, despite its size, it can be brought to fruition
relatively quickly. This results from the previous detailed research, study, design, documentation and
construction works carried out in the late 1980s. There are several elements of the original design
drawings and works that now have to be checked against the backdrop of current legislation, changed
design codes, standards and other compliance requirements. The same situation is true for the
definition of the financial and economic business case analysis for the project.
In order to gain final approval for the project and to recommence the works in the field, it will be
necessary to carry out a full feasibility study of the layout, design and cost of the remaining works
described in this report. However, the feasibility study will not represent a "start from scratch" but
rather involve:
• verification of the existing designs and documentation for conformance to current standards;
• model simulation of the transport networks under the current 2009 uses;
H331997-00000-00-124-0003⏐7 JULY 2009 ⏐ PAGE iii
• where appropriate the adoption of more modern designs and approaches to certain elements of
the works.
Hence, the feasibility study period will be considerably shorter than would be expected for a project of
this size and will mostly focus on the crystallisation and quantification of all the implicit and explicit
costs and benefits and a detailed business case analysis at both a financial and economic level.
Once the project approvals are in place, some clean-up, repair and field restitution works could be
commenced almost immediately. The works yet to be completed are described elsewhere in this
report. Fast tracking those works, as an urgent job and business creation initiative, as well as bringing
significant transport benefits to the coal and other industries as soon as possible, the works could be
packaged to maximise the number of viable work fronts, optimise tender opportunities for the
construction sector (for all size companies), promote Australian made products, streamline project
management and minimise Final Installed Costs.
The major broad construction delivery packages proposed include, but are not limited to:
a) Site clean-up and restitution;
b) Cordeaux River Rail Bridge;
c) Other Rail, Freeway and Road Bridges (carried out as several Separable Portions);
d) Avon Tunnel (including Spoil Disposal and Re-use);
e) Rail and Sleeper Supply Contract;
f) Track-works (carried out as several Separable Portions);
g) Maldon Rail Interchange;
h) Dombarton Rail Interchange;
i) Signalling and controls (carried out as several Separable Portions);
j) Services (carried out as several Separable Portions); and
k) Overall Engineering Procurement, and Construction Management.
Each of these packages will require further consideration as to the form and nature of the contract
specifications. Some of the packages will be more beneficially delivered through a "Design and
Construct" methodology, rather than the traditional "Construction" contract using the Owner's design,
while other packages will clearly benefit by having access to Owner-supplied items, where the
enormous buying power of the State or Federal Government can be optimised.
Similarly, the engineering management of the project can be streamlined by sensible consideration of
the contracting strategies for the various packages and the interface with the major government
agency stakeholders.
Indirect Benefits of the Project
Completing the Maldon-Dombarton line can still help future proof the State's transport needs by
providing capacity for anticipated growth. This study has identified many potential benefits in
completing this link in the NSW rail transport network.
The broad collection of the benefits of this project could generally be classed as non-financial or
intangible. However, their combined potential for significant regional employment, logistical
H331997-00000-00-124-0003⏐7 JULY 2009 ⏐ PAGE iv
improvement, developmental and commercial stimulus and overall economic impact should not be
overlooked, especially in the context of the current economic climate.
The benefits of the project, beyond the financial charges that could be recouped by the rail owner
through tonne-kilometre charges, have been broadly grouped into categories that reflect the major
beneficiaries. Whilst several of these benefits are likely to have impacts across a number of
beneficiaries, to avoid duplication, they have been listed under the grouping that has the most
significant benefit.
More detailed investigation of these benefits will be required and should be included with the feasibility
study to determine the full economic value of the project.
Regional Benefits
a) The current advanced status of the Maldon-Dombarton project is such that work could be quickly
restarted and benefits described in the report could be realised sooner than most other projects of
this size. In the current economic climate this attribute is of potentially major significance.
b) The Maldon-Dombarton line provides an alternative to the aging Illawarra to Moss Vale line, which
is subject to significant maintenance costs and risks associated with geotechnical liabilities.
c) The potential to create jobs in the region is significant. The total base estimate of direct man-hours
for the construction programme (approximately 1,200,000 hours over 39 months) could provide a
considerable stimulus to the local construction industry and positively impact on the current
Illawarra unemployment. Given the nature of the works, additional regional economic multipliers
would suggest that as many or more indirect jobs may also be created.
d) Use of local construction material (e.g. rock, cement, steel) and equipment for further development
of the Maldon-Dombarton project improves the sustainable development and economic multiplier
outcomes for the project.
e) Greenhouse gas savings can be achieved by constraining growth in road freight and better use of
rail network. Rail freight is up to five times more fuel-efficient per tonne-kilometre usage.
f) In the event of Port Kembla becoming a container gateway for south western Sydney (assessed in
the study as part of the "optimistic case"), there would be significant reduction in volume on major
road corridors in south western Sydney, leading to cash flow savings by delaying or obviating the
need for other infrastructure enhancements otherwise required to manage the growing freight and
passenger congestion.
g) The Maldon-Dombarton line offers a significant strategic benefit of providing passenger rail route
alternatives between Sydney and the Illawarra in the event of major incidents affecting any one
line; and
h) By attracting current and future freight to the Maldon-Dombarton line, there is potential to more
favourably separate freight and passenger traffic between Sydney and the Illawarra region,
specifically reducing congestion on the Illawarra main south coast line. This could in turn improve
passenger commute times and train timetable integrity for the growing cities of the Illawarra
region.
Freight Supply Chain Benefits
i) The Maldon-Dombarton line will generate a range of operational freight benefits that will improve
the viability of existing and proposed Southern and Western Coalfields developments (e.g. at
Tahmoor and Wilton).
H331997-00000-00-124-0003⏐7 JULY 2009 ⏐ PAGE v
j) Once the Maldon-Dombarton line is completed, the intermodal chain for container movements can
be logically connected to Port Kembla thereby reducing congestion on existing lines and cutting
overall truck movements significantly.
k) The Maldon-Dombarton line will potentially improve the operational cost for rail freight by
facilitating the move towards 24/7 operations and could further encourage a future modal shift
away from road haulage for bulk cargoes within the Sydney-Illawarra region.
l) Better rail access to Port Kembla made possible by the Maldon-Dombarton line will further support
the option for the port to be developed to supplement operations at Port Botany, as well as
providing better services for its current customers.
m) The development of the Maldon-Dombarton line to a 30 tonne wagon axle load standard would
allow companies to take advantage of lower operating costs associated with any carrying capacity
upgrades on the attached networks.
n) The Maldon-Dombarton line will enable future development of coalfields as it could provide an
alternative transport option to using roads which currently have planning restrictions on truck
movements through the Illawarra; and
o) The completion of the Maldon-Dombarton line may further stimulate the possibility for other south
western Sydney intermodal freight terminals, based on the assumption that the Moorebank
intermodal or an equivalent facility is established, thereby opening up other commercial and
industrial opportunities.
Government Agency Benefits
p) Additional revenue for Port Kembla Port Corporation generated by increased coal tonnages and
intermodal freight business arising from the use of the line.
q) There is potential to increase economic reserves of coal in NSW from lower freight transport costs
associated with the development of the Maldon-Dombarton rail line.
r) Additional revenue for City Rail from potential increase in passenger capacity on the Illawarra
Line, resulting from improvements in the timetable and service due to the removal of the majority
of freight trains from the route.
s) Reduced maintenance costs for Rail Infrastructure Corporation and ARTC due to reduced number
of heavy freight trains travelling on the City, Illawarra and Moss Vale-Unanderra lines.
t) Maldon-Dombarton line offers the potential to defer other infrastructure capacity improvement
projects. It also affords the 'regaining' of previous 'lost' capacity on networks where there is little
or no other cost effective option for further capacity enhancement (e.g. increased passenger train
paths on the Illawarra line etc.); and
u) Additional benefits are identified in the Report.
As the project is further developed in the next feasibility stage, it is likely that the list of benefits
identified above may need further adjustment. It will be essential that the impacts of all benefits can be
directly attributed to the Maldon-Dombarton line itself or the changes it facilitates in local, regional and
State freight strategies, logistics networks, optimisations made possible in other projects and
maintenance programmes, improved operational and timetable efficiencies etc.
The Maldon-Dombarton line is an enabling project for the region and as a result it is not unexpected
that many of its benefits are cross-functional and not directly attributable to the construction or direct
use of the line itself. These economic or intangible benefits will be vitally important in the full evaluation
of the overall "attractiveness" of the project.
H331997-00000-00-124-0003⏐7 JULY 2009 ⏐ PAGE vi
The study was undertaken within the constraints of the relatively short reporting time, resources and
limited access to documentation and records. Should these business cases (developed by others)
prove to be encouraging, then this study would provide the basis for a future feasibility study. A future
feasibility study would further investigate the specifics for completion of the project and identify and
analyse in more detail the financial and economic structure of the project. This study also sets out in
broad detail the major "Next Steps", required to be undertaken in any such feasibility study.

ghostryder

Simon
Ever heard of Manildra Group? Manildra have operations in North West and Western NSW they have a plant near Bomaderry and rail wheat to it several times a week. QRN currently have a contract for the haulage of wheat from southern NSW through to Port Kembla. PN are also involved in the haulage of wheat to Port Kembla. There is a lot in the rail operations that can be confusing. This line may have benefits but so would having better shunting facilities and unobstructed run through Sydney that prevents freight trains being held or delayed in Sydney for large periods of time.

Scott

somebody

Quote from: ghostryder on October 23, 2011, 23:02:24 PM
Simon
Ever heard of Manildra Group? Manildra have operations in North West and Western NSW they have a plant near Bomaderry and rail wheat to it several times a week. QRN currently have a contract for the haulage of wheat from southern NSW through to Port Kembla. PN are also involved in the haulage of wheat to Port Kembla. There is a lot in the rail operations that can be confusing. This line may have benefits but so would having better shunting facilities and unobstructed run through Sydney that prevents freight trains being held or delayed in Sydney for large periods of time.

Scott
Heard of them, but not 100% on exactly what rail operations they require on the Illawarra.

This line, combined with the SSFL would significantly reduce freight's interaction with CityRail in Sydney, however it would still apply Lithgow-Canley Vale as well as on the north.

ghostryder

Simon
Manildra groups plant at Nowra/Bomaderry processes the starch faction of wheat flour into prime grade wheat starch, modified starches, glucose syrups, ethanol and carbon dioxide. The raw material are railed in and the refined products IIRC are railed out. Manildra group own their own wheat hoppers and let out a contract for a hook and pull set up for motive power the current contract is with Pacific National. I am not sure of the frequency of these services. Manildra own facilities at Narrendera Southern NSW Gunnedah in North West NSW and Manildra in Western NSW.

scott

colinw

Ah, that explains why I saw a bunch of Manildra branded wheat hoppers in a siding at Gunnedah a couple of years ago.

Scott - you seem to know the area & freight traffic well. In your opinion would the Maldon - Dombarton line fill a useful role?  Is it a worthwhile project to resurrect, or just another dumb political idea?

ghostryder

Colin
When you have friends in the area they become a good source of information and local knowledge. The line if done right would be a good thing, things to be looked at are the Avon Tunnel if completed would be 4kms long and the longest or one of the longest in Australia. With electric traction which were originally envisaged it would not have been so much of an issue but with Diesel traction ventilation would have to be looked into as would crew safety in the case of failures and with the steelies if they were sent that way loads.

scott.

colinw

Rail Express -> Study finds insufficient demand for Maldon-Dombarton line

QuoteOct 26, 2011 11:46 AM

The Illawarra's long-awaited Maldon to Dombarton Rail Link may have received a $24.5m federal boost last week, but the fate of the project remains uncertain as the project's feasibility study found it does not make economic sense to build the line.

By Jennifer Perry

The Prime Minster last week announced $24.5m in federal funding during a visit to the Illawarra that would ensure the project was "shovel ready" if the government was to make a final investment decision on the line.

However, a feasibility study for the link, commissioned by the Federal Government, found that constructing the line would not generate "sufficient benefits" to cover the $624-677m cost to build it.

Most of the ground work for the 35km line has already been constructed, but the expensive elements – including a major bridge and tunnel – have not been built.

Professor Phillip Laird from the University of Wollongong told Rail Express that the study considered the line to be "technically feasible", however, it found there was insufficient demand to "warrant its construction in the near future".

"With a 7% discount rate, the benefit cost ration (BCR) is just 0.56," Laird said.

"The low BCR is attributed to the high cost of constructing the line and the existence of spare and expandable capacity on the Moss Vale-Unanderra line."

The potential freight link – between Maldon, near Picton on the Main South railway line south of Sydney, and Dombarton, near Port Kembla – would provide an alternative to the existing Moss Vale-Unanderra line and RailCorp's Illawarra line for the transport of freight to and from Port Kembla and would cater for projected increases in freight as well as road and rail congestion.

While the study acknowledged that bulk freight relevant to the potential line was expected to grow from 11.6 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) in 2010 to 15.5mtpa in 2030, with container freight also expected to increase, it noted that cars imported through Port Kembla are expected to continue to use road freight to avoid double handling costs.

The impact of trucks carrying freight on roads in the Illawarra, particularly the Mt Ousley Road, is one of the reasons for constructing the line.

The study acknowledged that arterial roads around Port Kembla were congested, however, it stated that, "a Maldon-Dombarton line would have little effect on the number of trucks. BHP, a major transporter of coal by truck, has advised that it would not use a Maldon-Dombarton line".

Laird beleives if the project went on to receive New South Wales Government support, it could, and should, be expedited.

"The Prime Minister's general comment on rail as follows as per her joint media release of 18 October is of note, 'Building a faster, safer and more reliable network will boost national productivity, take pressure off the nation's highways and reduce carbon pollution.'"

Laird pointed out that the study gave rise to some interesting considerations, including:

• Why is the line's BCR (0.56) appreciable less than a BCR found in the St Marys-Port Kembla Rail Link Feasibility Study by Kinhill Engineers (1995)?  This BCR  was mainly for coal traffic than on offer. Now, there are car imports through Port Kembla and the prospect of container overflow from Port Botany to Port Kembla as well.
  • Car imports were considered by the study as an "upside case" that marginally improves the BCR; but ACIL Tasman "does not expect these cars to be used by rail." Yet, the NSW Department of Planning initial consent all but required by December 2010 that 20% of car imports to leave Port Kembla by rail. This department has given the Port Kembla Port Corporation two years to outline improvements in our achievements in getting cars onto rail.
  • In considering containers, the study notes that Port Botany has a capacity "cap" of 3.2 million TEO per annum. However, the study does not appear to note that on recent growth, this cap may be reached this decade rather than sometime during the 2020s.

• ]Although the pre-feasibility study released in mid-2009 for the line noted that passenger services using diesel multiple units could operate over the new line, the terms of reference excluded passengers. It would have been interesting to see the benefits and costs of including passengers. Here, passenger trains may be better suited to the larger tunnel cross section size identified in the feasibility study.
  • Interestingly, the Illawarra line was noted by the study as "effectively operating at capacity" except for five paths between midnight and 5am.
  • Mt Ousley road issues are also noted, along with RTA support for the Maldon Dombarton as "vital in providing alternatives for future users."
  • Like the 1995 Kinhill St Marys-Port Kembla Rail Link Feasibility Study, the new study notes road use pricing. However, unrecovered road system costs from articulated trucks was not used by ACIL Tasman in their assessment of external costs. This is in contrast to the 2001 ARTC Track Audit.

🡱 🡳