• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

21 July 2011: SEQ: Richlands to Springfield bus - Ride the Rocket!

Started by ozbob, July 21, 2011, 03:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Media release 21 July 2011

SEQ: Richlands to Springfield bus - Ride the Rocket!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers welcomes the news that TransLink will be introducing a Richlands-Springfield Rail 'Rocket' bus (1,2,3).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"RAIL Back On Track members are very pleased at the news that TransLink intends to put on a Richlands-Springfield Rail Rocket bus while the residents of greater Springfield wait for the planned completion of the railway line in 2013. We hope that decent frequency - meeting every train at Richlands, and a wide scope of service hours is implemented."

"RAIL Back On Track thanks TransLink for running consultation on the service, the Minister for Transport and the residents of Springfield who raised the issue with RAIL Back On Track and our members who developed the idea further."

"There is still much needed to be done on the Ipswich line however. Train Upgrade Zones (TUZ) consisting of frequent all day express train services to Ipswich station (every 15 minutes all day and evening) fed by high frequency bus rapid transit (BRT) is something that can be done now without spending billions on infrastructure or waiting for years."

"We look forward to the formal announcement of the Richlands - Springfield bus route and timetable. Ride the Richlands Rocket Bus!"

References:

1. http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5226.0

2. http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_07_14_Estimates.pdf

3. http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5226.msg63807#msg63807

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Eagle1

What I have been trying to highlight for a long time is the hidden truth that the WHOLE Darra to Springfield link was intended to have been Completed by this year 2011!!!!!

I have included below a complete unedited quote IN CONTEXT from HANSARD 9 JUNE 2005 Page 1995
The speech is attributed to :-"Mrs MILLER (Bundamba—ALP) (5.00 pm): This budget, once again, delivers for the people in
the electorate of Bundamba."

"Woodcrest College, a Queensland government state school, has
had dollars allocated for repainting works. Springfield Anglican College and Woodcrest College will
receive an increase in school-aged care allocations.
Money has been allocated to purchasing homes for public housing, and three houses have
already been purchased by the Department of Housing in the Springfield area. An allocation of
$2 million to buy five dwellings and $1 million to buy land for further public housing in Ipswich have been
allocated, although the locations have not yet been determined. Forward estimates indicate an
allocation of $574 million for the Darra-Springfield rail link, as outlined in the South East Queensland
Infrastructure Plan and Program 2005-2026. This rail link is anticipated to be completed by around 2011.
The Department of Health's support for women's health initiatives at Springfield Lakes community
centre will continue."

The member for Inala,  Anastacia Palaszczuk, chose to ignore this fact when promoting the building of the Richlands Railway Station in "her" electorate.

Now that she is also Transport Minister, I am certain that this embarrassing FACT will be ignored yet again.

There are other references in Hansard and on the internet to be found proving the 2011 intended completion date - a QLD Rail Web site once had it on too but was conveniently changed.

Just like Ms. Gillard and her "no Carbon tax"  - this government also rewrites history.

Do not praise them for their bus route - Damn them for their lies!!!

SurfRail

Only 2 years late is fairly decent given the current economic climate TBH.  Be more concerned for the lack of funding for Cross River Rail.
Ride the G:

ozbob

G'day Eagle1.  Yes, completely understand the frustration.  Agree the timetables now are very different from the initial timelines, this is the case with most infrastructure in Queensland over the past generation. Other examples include CAMCOS,  busways, track amplifications on the Sunshine Coast line.  More effort is put into glossy brochures and plans than actual commencements it seems at times.  We have pushed hard for a bus Springfield <--> Richlands and it is worthwhile to acknowledge the gains.  The fact that this bus was not in place from the commencement of regular rail services ex Richlands is unacceptable from a long term planning point of view, but as I said, better late than never.

8)

O_128

Quote from: SurfRail on July 21, 2011, 21:56:47 PM
Only 2 years late is fairly decent given the current economic climate TBH.  Be more concerned for the lack of funding for Cross River Rail.

Well at least it got pulled back from 2015, Ive hear though that it was originally due in 2002 then 2005 then 2009, Though with this governments track record its not surprising.

If springfield opens and it is only half hour off peak I would very much consider just going and knocking the whole thing down.
"Where else but Queensland?"

ozbob

Joint Statement:

Premier and Minister for Reconstruction
The Honourable Anna Bligh

Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
23/10/2011

WORK UNDERWAY ON SPRINGFIELD RAIL LINK

Premier Anna Bligh today turned the first sod on a new 9.5 km rail line that will link Brisbane with one of the fastest growing regions in Australia.

The $475 million Richlands to Springfield project officially starts construction this week.

The Premier said that through a competitive tendering process for the delivery of the project the taxpayer gained $171 million in cost savings and a new station at Springfield near the Springfield Link Bridge.

"We fast tracked this project and it is great to see work underway on another vital piece of rail infrastructure for South East Queensland," said the Premier.

"This is a major transport initiative of the Queensland Government to support one of the fastest growing areas in Australia, with more than 21,000 people currently living in greater Springfield.

"The area's population is expected to reach 105,000 during the next twenty years, and we're building the transport infrastructure to meet this growing region's needs."

The Government opened Richlands station, which was part of the $800 million stage one of the Darra to Springfield project, early to help after the floods and already 2,500 trips are made every weekday on the line.

"The new 9.5km rail line is expected to take two million work hours and will create about 3,200 jobs during construction," said the Premier.

"This investment will provide residents with a clean, green alternative to car travel.

"It'll encourage people to use public transport as their preferred way to travel, ultimately reducing reliance on local roads.

"During morning peak the new rail line could potentially take up to 2,500 cars off the Centenary Highway, with the train trip from Springfield Central to Brisbane expected to take about 40 minutes."

Transport Minister Ms Palaszczuk said the Springfield community would benefit from the two new stations being built as part of the project - Springfield Central Station near the Orion Shopping Centre and Springfield Station near Woodcrest College.

"By the time the project is finished in 2013, two years ahead of our original estimates, this will be part of an integrated public transport alternative," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"Both new stations will link with buses and the South East Queensland cycle path network."

Ms Palaszczuk said a new interim bus service - Route 535 (from Orion Springfield to Richlands train station) - would start in February next year.

Ms Palaszczuk said the $850,000 a year bus service, delivered by Westside, would run half-hourly every morning and afternoon, Monday-Friday, between 5.08am-8.20am and 4.33pm-7.05pm.

"The interim buses will run 145 times a week and offering 6800 weekly seats.

'This is about giving people options and delivering an effective public transport alternative," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"It will serve emerging developments in Springfield Lakes including Education City and gives residents another option to the park 'n' rides at Goodna and Richlands train stations.

"Sixteen bus stops will be installed for the new bus route and four new buses added to the network."

"As part of the project, we're also building a 5.1km cycle path connecting Springfield Central and Springfield to Richlands Station and the South East Queensland cycle network as part of the project.

"There will also be about 2.1km of shared-use pedestrian and cycle paths around the stations at Springfield Central and Springfield and both stations will have secure bike storage facilities."

Member for Bundamba Jo-Ann Miller said local people would benefit from two new stations being built as part of the project.

"We'll be getting two stations, Springfield Central Station near the Orion Shopping Centre and Springfield Station near Woodcrest College," she said.

"It's great that work is now underway on this vital piece of infrastructure for local area."

Springfield Land Corporation Chairman Maha Sinnathamby said this is a great announcement for the entire Western Corridor.

"This is long term planning at its best. These twin rail stations will open up new opportunities for Australia's fastest growing area," Mr Sinnathamby said.

"I know the people of Greater Springfield will support and use this vital piece of infrastructure."

ozbob

Note Springfield Lakes station is now to be named Springfield.

ozbob

SurfRail

Half-hourly and peak only?  Come on.

Better than nothing I suppose.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Quote from: SurfRail on October 23, 2011, 06:27:35 AM
Half-hourly and peak only?  Come on.

I went past Richlands on Friday, parked out.  It is a start and I expect the bus services will need to be ramped up quickly ....

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on October 23, 2011, 06:15:07 AM
Not a fan.  I'd rather Springfield Central and Springfield Lakes.  I've got the same problem with Wynnum.

Quote from: SurfRail on October 23, 2011, 06:27:35 AM
Half-hourly and peak only?  Come on.

Indeed.  If you miss the last O/B bus @19:05, then what?  If the train is late, will the bus wait?  I guess you can use the 530, but not so good if you are at Richlands already.

#Metro

QuoteHalf-hourly and peak only?  Come on.

Yes, that's a bit of a shocker.... I guess it will be popular though so maybe that will be extended.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

AnonymouslyBad

Quote from: Simon on October 23, 2011, 08:30:56 AM
Quote from: ozbob on October 23, 2011, 06:15:07 AM
Not a fan.  I'd rather Springfield Central and Springfield Lakes.  I've got the same problem with Wynnum.

I guess, technically, the station won't be in Springfield Lakes because it's on the wrong side of the highway. (The middle of nowhere. :P)

Quote from: Eagle1 on July 21, 2011, 21:25:16 PM
What I have been trying to highlight for a long time is the hidden truth that the WHOLE Darra to Springfield link was intended to have been Completed by this year 2011!!!!!

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be uncommon. Projects will be "planned", but as the money and interest goes elsewhere the plans are quietly redrawn - pushing it back by years, greatly reducing its scale, splitting it into eight different stages, or any combination of the above. This will happen as many times as is necessary to keep the project on the "look what we're going to do" list while making exactly zero progress on actually doing it. Then when work actually starts, there's a new glossy media release and much fanfare, to make it sound like they thought of it last week and it's been "fast-tracked" to ensure we have a "world class" transport system.

This is why I couldn't help but laugh when they called the Eastern Busway to Coorparoo (for example) completed ahead of schedule. All this means is that final construction work took a little less time than expected, because outside of that they can revise the "plan" whenever they feel like it, and they did.

🡱 🡳