• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Tram conductors won't return

Started by ozbob, January 23, 2011, 07:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From the Herald Sun click here!

Tram conductors won't return

QuoteTram conductors won't return

* Mitchell Toy
    * January 23, 2011 12:00AM

OVERSEAS tram conductors have rallied behind their Melbourne counterparts as the Baillieu Government has ruled out bringing back the famous connies.

Despite an $8 million pledge to restore and bolster Melbourne's W-Class trams, Transport Minister Terry Mulder said on-board ticket staff would not be reintroduced, putting the final nail in the coffin for the connies, axed in 1998.

It comes as conductors in Amsterdam, who were sacked then brought back because of public demand, get behind their Melbourne brethren. "Learn something from Amsterdam - bring them back," one Dutch conductor said.

Mr Mulder said Metcard and myki were the easiest ways for customers to get tickets.

"We will not be reintroducing conductors to Melbourne's trams," he said.

"Passengers are able to purchase most types of Metcards on trams, at railway stations, 7-Elevens and other retail outlets, the Met Shop or by placing an order online for delivery by mail."

Former conductor Roberto D'Andrea said connies still had a role on City Circle trams to help tourists or passengers with prams and to discourage vandals.

"Ripped seats and graffiti are now common, and people are constantly unsure which ticket to buy, especially if they are not from Melbourne," Mr D'Andrea said.

"It's odd Adelaide and Sydney have conductors, but the one city known for its trams has let them go."

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Gazza

QuoteAnd people are constantly unsure which ticket to buy, especially if they are not from Melbourne
Sorry, but this attitude really annoys me. If they are not from Melbourne, they should have done this prior to visiting: http://tinyurl.com/5sz8rwq
In 2010 there is absolutely no excuse for adults not being able to find information on what they need to.
I remember when they were eliminating toll booths on the motorways in Brisbane people were making the same sort of complaints, saying "What will the the people from outside SEQ do?", and I'm thinking to myself, "well, they can either look it up on Google beforehand, or they can ring the number posted on the signs on the motorways themselves!"

somebody

I don't know, eliminating the toll boths is OK for locals who can relatively easily get an go-via tag, but it is pretty nasty if you are in a rental car, which it isn't that practical to have such a tag.  It annoys me that these have been removed from roads which already have such as the Gateway and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, as there isn't much of a reasonable alternative for those roads.  You have to pay something like a $5 admin fee on top of the toll if you want to use them now without a tag, and also ring up to pay which is quite annoying really.

🡱 🡳