• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Light rail

Started by ozbob, December 12, 2010, 03:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

The Gold Coast light rail project will be transforming.  A demonstration of the superb utility of modern light rail.

--> http://www.goldcoastrapidtransit.qld.gov.au/

There is little doubt that Brisbane proper needs to start seriously planning for light rail on high capacity routes now.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Melbourne, one of the worlds best tram and emerging light rail networks.

-->  http://www.yarratrams.com.au/desktopdefault.aspx  operational

Trams in Melbourne

-->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Melbourne

ozbob

ozbob

Gold Coast Light Rail - Southport Queensland Government

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9grQFThsfM

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Brisbane

Some photographs of the tram tracks still visible on Old Cleveland Road Carina.  These will go when the Eastern Busway is constructed.

Photographs R Dow 17th October 2009

Cultural Centre around 5pm

Photographs R Dow 6th December 2010

#Metro

Some photographs of the tram tracks still visible on Old Cleveland Road Carina. 
These will go when the Eastern Busway is constructed.

Sigh. Put in busway... so that it can be upgraded to... light rail... I mean
the tracks are already there!!! :is-
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

13th December 2010

Greetings,

Moving forward with the times a forum area for Light Rail has been set up, see -->  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?board=62.0

The Gold Coast Light Rail will demonstrate the superb utility of a modern, safe, high capacity sustainable mass transit system.

Brisbane needs to start actively planning and implementing light rail on high capacity inner suburban routes today.  The busway system is already approaching capacity.

Chronic bus congestion, chaos, over loading and no shows is now a regular feature of the bus system.  Buses are not the ideal line transport solution, light and heavy rail is.

Cultural Centre around 5pm

Photograph R Dow 6th December 2010

The 88 bus to be introduced today is just adding to the bus congestion particularly on the western leg as it is on Coronation Drive in part.  There are many better options for the bus than the route 88 (see --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=4920.0 )

Much work needs to be done with the heavy rail network as well, viz., Cross River Rail, triplication Petrie to Lawnton, Moreton Bay Rail Link, Springfield with stations at Ellen Grove and Springfield Lakes, duplication of Beerburrum to Landsborough, with further passing loops north of Landsborough.  Proper train stabling needs to be established at Yandina to allow Nambour station to be upgraded with additional platforms, and train stabling at Wulkaraka.

It is clearly time that transport planners actually started to engage with the community and reality.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

==================

Media release 6 December 2010

SEQ: Light Rail and Bus Rapid Transit the way forward

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport commuters welcomes the announcement that the CityGlider service has surpassed the 1 million passenger mark.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"Previously there was extremely poor public transport patronage down Montague Road West End, hardly anyone would make a journey down that road on public transport. The increase from effectively zero to over one million passenger journeys confirms our long-held views that the thing holding back public transport patronage in Brisbane is not a lack of density, but simply a lack of supply of convenient, all-day, frequent public transport."

"Given the rapid increase in patronage over such a short period of time, RAIL Back on Track believes that moves towards the introduction of Light Rail Transit(LRT) in the West End-CBD-New Farm corridor must begin. In peak hour, bus services such as the 199 BUZ are heavily loaded, particularly on Brunswick street, New Farm with services every 5 minutes or less."

"Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide have all constructed LRT systems since Brisbane's last serious LRT proposal was floated, and now the Gold Coast is getting it. Light Rail is a superb people mover with great scope for increased capacity (1). In its own lane an LRT vehicle carrying 352 people every 2 minutes would give an ability to move over 10 000 people in one direction on surface streets in one hour, and more if a larger vehicles are used."

"The roll out of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) must of course also continue. RAIL Back on Track has suggests 'BUZ-ification' of key routes, which includes those carrying 1 million or more passengers currently.  For example,

- a BUZ 450 to the Western Suburbs of Jindalee, Middle Park, Riverhills and Darra
- a BUZ 100 to Inala and beyond via Ipswich Road
- a BUZ 196 New Farm to Fairfield Gardens with possible extension to Yeronga
- frequency and extended service hours on the Great Circle Line."

Reference:

1. Siemens Avenio
http://transportation.siemens.com/en/data/pdf/ts_internet/ts_tr/avenio_a19100-v520-b452-x-7600.pdf

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on December 12, 2010, 03:49:56 AM
There is little doubt that Brisbane proper needs to start seriously planning for light rail on high capacity routes now.
I doubt it.  I do not see where light rail would go.  The most obvious corridor is for the 199, but I would question if there is enough room on Adelaide St for protected stops.  It is also unclear how you would get from Adelaide St/Queen St to Brunswick St.  I expect you would also need a new bridge over the river to avoid the Cultural Centre and Melbourne St portal.  In short, it's a very expensive option on any possibility that I can see.

ozbob

Easy, other places are doing it.  Combination of surface, cut and cover, and elevation.  Plenty of plans around.

The bus system cannot do much more, time for  light rail to take up the inner city loads.

--> http://www.premiers.qld.gov.au/community-issues/smart-state-council/council-reports/assets/smart-cities.pdf

QuoteThe principal recommendations of the Master Plan with respect
to the 'city frame' are concerned with connections and transport,
including:
• a mass transit (light rail) corridor from Newstead-Teneriffe
through the CBD to South Brisbane.
• a separate bridge from Victoria Bridge which links buses and
light rail to South Bank and the south-east busway system.
• an underground heavy rail line which links Spring Hill through
the existing Central Station to Dutton Park and Woolloongabba,
simultaneously providing new stations in CBD areas currently
inaccessible to rail.
• transfer of through-traffic movement away from the CBD into
the surrounding frame area with strategies including developing
the Hale Street Bridge, locating carparking stations outside the
CBD, and decreasing carriageways in the CBD as part of a
one-way loop system.

somebody

Well, if a relatively simple bridge like the Go Between Bridge still cost over $200m, AIUI, that is more than many of the LRT/tram proposals entire budget.  I suppose the Green Bridge was more like $50m.  That latter price tag is still a large slice of most proposals' budget, and then you have to actual lay tracks, buy vehicles and electrify.  I think that the Wickham St/Ann St combination could be problem too.  Would the trams travel in a single direction on each one way street?  Would they stick in the left lane, lane 2 or somewhere else?  They might have to share the lane with buses and left turning cars if they lay the tram tracks in the left lane.  Wouldn't be popular with the tram lobby!

I would say bus could easily do more, but may require an increase in the number of buses using the Captain Cook Bridge.

#Metro

It might be expensive, but what is the alternative?
Bus and car and train can be expensive too. $ 770 million of public money sunk into Clem 7, $465 million for 1km of busway at Buranda, $8.5 billion for CRR1
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

QuoteI think that the Wickham St/Ann St combination could be problem too.  Would the trams travel in a single direction on each one way street?  Would they stick in the left lane, lane 2 or somewhere else?  They might have to share the lane with buses and left turning cars if they lay the tram tracks in the left lane.  Wouldn't be popular with the tram lobby!

I see this area as being similar to the Gold Coast Highway where the highway is split into two and there are buildings in the median. The LRT IMHO took one road, and the other road was to be converted to 2-way operation. I'm sure there are solutions, they need pen to paper though.

longboi

Two tracks in the median of Wickham would probably be the most sensible option through the Valley. Also, depending on the route I wouldn't mind seeing reclamation of some inner-suburban side streets for LRT/one way traffic or LRT/pedestrian+cycle.

somebody

Quote from: nikko on December 14, 2010, 18:32:24 PM
Two tracks in the median of Wickham would probably be the most sensible option through the Valley. Also, depending on the route I wouldn't mind seeing reclamation of some inner-suburban side streets for LRT/one way traffic or LRT/pedestrian+cycle.
Makes it challenging to get to New Farm though.  Maybe run through the mall?

But what is this median on Wickham you are referring to?  There is no median AFAIK.

longboi

I meant median like the way the GC light rail is setup, with one traffic lane either side and LR down the middle.

Quote from: somebody on December 15, 2010, 11:19:14 AMMakes it challenging to get to New Farm though.  Maybe run through the mall?

Commercial Rd/James St would be a viable option. Although I had KSD and Hamilton as the initial destination (Could co-incide with the big upgrade).

ozbob

#Metro

Streetcars don't seem to have the same appeal as LRT, and its probably because they are slower than LRT (due to more stops) and operate in mixed traffic (the visual of a PT vehicle holding you up enrages motorists, even if it carries 100 times the amount of people compared to what would be in a single occupant vehicle).

So you could use bigger buses. And I think that would be easier. However, these projects are being built as urban stimulation and renewal projects, and they are having their intended effect, even if I find that it is a bit odd. Streetcars can also have higher capacity than a bus when you need it- I don't know about long term operating costs vs bus. So there might be a place for a high capacity, short distance service. Streetcars are also cheaper AIUI to construct.

Two cities show that it can be done- both Melbourne and Toronto have reasonably sized streetcar networks, and they are not heritage things or curiosities, but dead serious PT that continue to move huge numbers of people. Eventually these will be upgraded to LRT by removing stops and getting larger LRT vehicles.

IMHO I doubt the streetcar will take off as much as LRT and BRT will. LRT and BRT can get further out of the city, has higher capacity and is more rapid.

ozbob

Twitter

BombardierRail Bombardier
Video of the #FLEXITY 2 launch in Blackpool (posted by BlackpoolCouncil) http://ow.ly/6voL6
1 hour ago

johnnigh

A lovely looking vehicle! What is the GCLR getting?

ozbob

Similar as I understand it.  SurfRail will know ...

O_128

Quote from: ozbob on September 16, 2011, 06:19:31 AM
Similar as I understand it.  SurfRail will know ...

GC is getting Flexity as well, though the front is modified for different markets.
"Where else but Queensland?"

SurfRail

Quote from: johnnigh on September 16, 2011, 06:12:19 AM
A lovely looking vehicle! What is the GCLR getting?

Flexity 2s as well.  Ours will be 45m 7-section vehicles, and there will be 14 of them.  The Blackpool ones are 5 car 35-m vehicles and I think they are getting 16.  The GCRT order actually appears in the delivery pages of this month's Railway Digest.

(I had thought that we were going to be getting the world's first Flexity 2s, but it looks like we may be getting the first 7-car units.)
Ride the G:

ozbob

Twitter

BombardierRail Bombardier
We have supplied >3,500 light rail vehicles to nearly 100 cities in >20 countries. Find out more at @#APTAEXPO or http://ow.ly/6GcWh
5 hours ago

verbatim9

That would make sense as they are supplying Adelaide's HRT rollout and Future LRT

ozbob

Some interesting photographs from the QPS

Click --> here!

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Twitter

RTD RTD ‏@RideRTD 52m

Inaugural light rail train breaking through the banner #WLine http://t.co/cVmN3Jsr86

ozbob

ozbob

PLANETIZEN --> If You Build It, They Will Ride - Even in Car Crazy Los Angeles

QuoteA new study finds that within six months of opening, L.A.'s newest light rail line dramatically altered the travel behavior of those living within a half-mile of a station. Among those residents, rail ridership tripled and driving declined 40% ...

More --> here!

huddo45

Quote from: ozbob on December 31, 2013, 13:03:55 PM
PLANETIZEN --> If You Build It, They Will Ride - Even in Car Crazy Los Angeles

QuoteA new study finds that within six months of opening, L.A.'s newest light rail line dramatically altered the travel behavior of those living within a half-mile of a station. Among those residents, rail ridership tripled and driving declined 40% ...

More --> here!

I'm looking forward to the same situation on the Gold Coast, being a tourist area it can't go wrong. Brisbane people will be asking, "Where's OUR light rail?". If third world countries like Nigeria and Ethiopia can do it so can we.
I support UBAT, put the buses underground for the troglodytes to ride on, making room for light rail in the street. :fo:

ozbob

ozbob

Railway Gazette --> Guangzhou supercapacitor tram unveiled

CHINA: CSR Zhuzhou has unveiled what it says is the first tram to be powered only by supercapacitors.

In June 2013 Guangzhou Metro Corp subsidiary Guangzhou Tram Co signed a contract with CSR Zhuzhou for seven 100% low-floor trams. The first two will be produced in Zhuzhou, with the subsequent five assembled in Guangzhou. The first vehicle is currently undergoing static testing before being shipped to Guangzhou for dynamic tests. The trams are due to enter passenger service in December.

Siemens is supplying propulsion and control, braking and auxiliary systems, including powered bogies, under a technical licensing and co-operation agreement.

The onboard supercapcitors will be automatically charged from a ground-level power supply at stops. This will normally take between 10 sec and 30 sec. The trams are able to run for up to 4 km between charges. According to CSR Zhuzhou, the braking energy recovery efficiency is more than 85%. Mobile charging vehicles are to be used in case of faults at the charging points.

The four-section tram is 36·5 m long with a capacity of 386 passengers. Floor height at the entrance is 325 mm. There are five sets of doors, 10 'priority seats' and two wheelchair spaces. The stainless steel bodied trams are capable of a maximum speed of 70 km/h, a maximum gradient of 60‰ and a minimum curve radius of 25 m.

The trams are to run on a circular route in the Haizhou district of Guangzhou. The first 7·7 km, 10-stop section will link Canton Tower and Wanshengwei and is due to open in late 2014.

:-w

ozbob

🡱 🡳