• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Richlands-Ferny Grove via Tennyson off peak

Started by somebody, April 01, 2010, 11:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Is there a case for a Richlands-Ferny Grove via Tennyson off peak service?  Done right, that would give Richlands and Ferny Grove a 15 minute frequency, Tennyson a full time service and a 15 minute service as far as Yeerongpilly without slowing Gold Coast trains.  The conflicting moves don't seem to be much of a problem to me, except the slight problem of the southbound train needing to cross the northbound track.  Seems to make sense for the Coasties to return to stopping at Yeerongpilly off peak rather than Coopers Plains.

stephenk

Quote from: somebody on April 01, 2010, 11:55:51 AM
Is there a case for a Richlands-Ferny Grove via Tennyson off peak service?  Done right, that would give Richlands and Ferny Grove a 15 minute frequency, Tennyson a full time service and a 15 minute service as far as Yeerongpilly without slowing Gold Coast trains.  The conflicting moves don't seem to be much of a problem to me, except the slight problem of the southbound train needing to cross the northbound track.  Seems to make sense for the Coasties to return to stopping at Yeerongpilly off peak rather than Coopers Plains.

As track capacity is a known issue with running 15mins off-peak services to Kuraby, then running alternate ex-Ferny Grove trains to Corinda via Tennyson is an option. Running to Richlands would probably not fit in with the Ipswich/Richlands timetables due the effectively single track section between Corinda and Darra. Otherwise delays on one line grouping would knock onto another line grouping.

However, when we eventually get 15min timetables, I think we will just see the Gold Coast services slowed instead to allow for 15mins off-peak to Kuraby. This is surely more justifiable in passenger numbers than running via Tennyson.
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

somebody

Quote from: stephenk on April 03, 2010, 17:29:54 PM
Running to Richlands would probably not fit in with the Ipswich/Richlands timetables due the effectively single track section between Corinda and Darra. Otherwise delays on one line grouping would knock onto another line grouping.
That's true.  It would be very fortunate if the times between the line groupings make it easy to get a 15 minute frequency on both the Yeerongpilly-Ferny Grove and Richlands parts.  I really don't know why they pinched the pennies on the Corinda-Darra, not to mention the Keperra-Ferny Grove duplication.  It seems to be the way it's done in Qld, on the road networks too, but to a lesser degree.

However, when we eventually get 15min timetables, I think we will just see the Gold Coast services slowed instead to allow for 15mins off-peak to Kuraby. This is surely more justifiable in passenger numbers than running via Tennyson.
I hate this possibility.  If you are going to slow the trains, at least you could make them serve a few more stations.  Perhaps all stops Kuraby-Varsity Lakes.  Then listen to the squeal of the Coast residents.

The main problem with running via Tennyson would be that the Morooka-Kuraby people don't get a 15 minute service.

stephenk

Quote from: somebody on April 03, 2010, 17:54:09 PM
I hate this possibility.  If you are going to slow the trains, at least you could make them serve a few more stations.  Perhaps all stops Kuraby-Varsity Lakes.  Then listen to the squeal of the Coast residents.

The main problem with running via Tennyson would be that the Morooka-Kuraby people don't get a 15 minute service.

If the Gold Coast trains have to be slowed by 4 mins between Kuraby and Park Rd to allow for 15mins off-peak to Kuraby, then at which extra station(s) should they stop at? Maybe Yerongpilly again, Altandi for it's Buz connections, Yeronga or Sunnybank due to their patronage?

O_128

Quote from: stephenk on April 03, 2010, 19:07:17 PM

If the Gold Coast trains have to be slowed by 4 mins between Kuraby and Park Rd to allow for 15mins off-peak to Kuraby, then at which extra station(s) should they stop at? Maybe Yerongpilly again, Altandi for it's Buz connections, Yeronga or Sunnybank due to their patronage?

once cross rail is complete that 4 minute loss would be regained anyway wouldn't it?
"Where else but Queensland?"

stephenk

Quote from: O_128 on April 03, 2010, 19:54:10 PM

once cross rail is complete that 4 minute loss would be regained anyway wouldn't it?

Yes, the faster journey time from Central/Roma St to Park Rd would make up for the slower running between Park Rd and Kuraby.

Hopefully by the time the 1st new tunnel is complete, the tracks to Banoon will be quadrupled which would mean that 15min Gold Coast trains could overtake 15min Beenleigh trains anyway.

somebody

Oh yeah, it needs to be north of Kuraby.  Definitely Altandi, but it's not that obvious what other stations it should stop at.  But even with the Altandi stop, it wouldn't be that attractive to change there unless you are actually going to the Airport or the Gold Coast.  Perhaps to the Valley.  The Yeerongpilly stop appearred to be mostly to allow connections to the Tennyson line.  Not particularly logical.

🡱 🡳