• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Rail Traffic on Rosewood Line.

Started by elwood p dowd, January 10, 2010, 15:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elwood p dowd

Hi Bob and all other members, Would anyone Know how many Trains per Day use the Rail Line West from Rosewood through the Lockyer valley.

Apart from the Passenger Service which runs once a week in each direction , I believe that there are about 17 Freight train which use this Line per Day.

Any Help here would be Appreciated.

Thanks to all,

David

ozbob

Howdy,

The WestLander runs twice a week.

17 trains seems about right to me.  We have more coalies passing through Oxley/Darra at times but not all make it out past Rosewood.

Approximately

6 grain trains per week

3 stock trains per week

3 freight trains per week

14 coal trains per day

Cheers
Bob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

elwood p dowd

Thanks Bob,

About the Number I thought, Are you aware that there are surveys going on in the Lockyer valley for Coal, I suspect it will be Open cut and that leaves the Question of How do they shift the Cola to the Port from here.
There are two alternatives, one is by Truck [ large] down the Ipswich Motorway and the other is by Rail via Grantham or some close Station on the Line.

This will add Traffic to a Line that is well used already , though at least they would not be trying to go UP the Hill to Toowoomba.

Regards

David.

somebody

Quote from: elwood p dowd on January 10, 2010, 15:25:39 PM
Thanks Bob,

About the Number I thought, Are you aware that there are surveys going on in the Lockyer valley for Coal, I suspect it will be Open cut and that leaves the Question of How do they shift the Cola to the Port from here.
There are two alternatives, one is by Truck [ large] down the Ipswich Motorway and the other is by Rail via Grantham or some close Station on the Line.

This will add Traffic to a Line that is well used already , though at least they would not be trying to go UP the Hill to Toowoomba.

Regards

David.

Pretty sure I've read 177/week.  But getting from the Lockyer Valley to port is hardly going to be a problem for rail.  I would presume that they will do it that way, unless the coal will be used domestically.

mufreight

More coal traffic would make the construction of the new line through the Little Liverpool Range an imperative, the present single track section between Grandchester and Laidly through the range is heavily graded with severe curvature, the construction of a new tunnel on an improved alignment, even as a single track would have many advantages from shorter transit times, improved clearances which would allow for electrification to be extended to Gatton or Helidon for passenger services.
The extra coal trains would strengthen the argument for the construction of a third track from Darra to Ipswich and more to the point the increased revenue would pay for it.

🡱 🡳