• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Planned closures - discussion

Started by ozbob, November 16, 2009, 19:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Quote from: brissypete on June 26, 2018, 07:10:05 AM
The rail replacement during comm games worked with full timetables, route numbers, real time info in apps and better signage than weekend closures. So why can't this be replicated for weekend closures.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Indeed.  The excuses for not doing rail replacement bus timetables are very feeble.  When you think about it, once a set of rail replacement timetables are prepared they would be used over and over again as track closures tend to follow very standard closure patterns. Only minor maintenance of the timetables would be required.

Other jurisdictions can manage to produce them, it is time TransLink lifted their game.  It is really embarrassing how far behind TransLink is  from the other states public transport authorities and agencies these days.  Stale culture and ' we know best thinking'  that needs a major shake up.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

7th July 2018

Time rail replacement bus for SEQ was done properly

Good Morning,

I spent last week in Melbourne.  On Thursday last I travelled to Altona for an tour of the Kororoit Creek Road Level Crossing Removal project.

The rail service from Newport to Altona is temporarily suspended due to the works and rail replacement bus is operating.   As is the normal situation in Melbourne when there are track closures rail replacement bus timetables are published.  This is something that is needed for track closures in SEQ.  TransLink managed to produce rail replacement bus timetables for the Beenleigh line alterations for the recent Commonwealth Games.   As there was a rail replacement bus timetable planning my journey to Altona was easily done.

In SEQ, the situation for track closures is that there are no rail replacement bus timetables.  It is then unknown as to the times for the first and last scheduled services and what the frequency of the bus service will be.  It is time that TransLink and Queensland Rail acted to ensure there is a proper focussed effort on improving rail replacement bus for planned closures.

Key points:

1. Publish rail replacement bus timetables for all planned closures, at least two weeks prior.
2. Publish the bus service patterns, e.g. express and stopping patterns, at least two weeks prior.
3. Have numerous, clear adequate signs during the closures.
4. Ensure there are well placed, properly informed staff to assist and direct at key interchange points and stations. Too often passengers are given incorrect information from ' staff '.
5. Ensure that the bus replacement service frequency is better than the replaced rail frequency as this makes for better connections and shorter overall journey times.  A source of constant frustration for passengers.

It is time a rocket was put through under-performing TransLink and Queensland Rail.
We have had enough of the mediocrity that is spun as ' customer focussed service '.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track https://backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on June 25, 2018, 01:54:23 AM
Sent to all outlets:

25th June 2018

Strong FB response to TransLink need to publish rail replacement bus timetables

Good Morning,

Strong response to our Facebook post on the need for proper rail replacement bus timetables.

See > https://www.facebook.com/RAILBackOnTrack/posts/2098361713511338

This is yet another example of the public transport failure endemic in SEQ.

It is time that TransLink was dragged kicking and screaming from their '  customer remote comfort zone ' in DTMR and we formed a stand alone authority -  Public Transport Queensland, a real champion for public transport.

TransLink under the auspices of DTMR has delivered failure.  Our public transport network is a disconnected, low-frequency shambles, that is forcing people away and onto congested roads.

Time to get cracking with the essential reform.

Any leaders around?  Or do we continue with the sycophantic clowns of bumble!

Have a nice day.

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on June 24, 2018, 02:54:16 AM
Sent to all outlets:

24th June 2018

TransLink need to publish rail  replacement bus timetables

Good Morning,

It is well overdue.  TransLink should be publishing rail replacement bus timetables during track closures.  TransLink track closure notices include the generic " Please plan your journey in advance and allow approximately 60 minutes extra travel time. " ( e.g. https://translink.com.au/service-updates/179626 ).  How can intending passengers plan when it is up to the transport ' gods ' when buses will come and go, no timetables and there is no indication in the journey planner other than a disruption to normal service?

A recent post on Facebook demonstrates how the lack of rail replacement timetables impact:
https://translink.com.au/service-updates/179626

Both Melbourne and Sydney publish rail replacement bus timetables. It is time it was done in SEQ, particularly as track closures seem to be a constant these days. Melbourne does rail replacement schematics well too ( https://www.metrotrains.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/June-30-8-July-DL-WEB-FINAL-1.pdf ). These explain in a simple to grasp manner the patterns of service rail replacement buses will be operating (express and stopping patterns).

Again TransLink is left floundering doing the mediocre thing, which might suit them but certainly not passengers.  Time for a proper public transport authority, with the clout and resources to turn public transport around. TransLink is dominated by a roads focussed organisation (DTMR), and which together, have managed to turn public transport in SEQ into a right royal mess of missed connections and poor service frequency!

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

brissypete

I'm fortunate living near Fairfield Station that I can use the 196 or Ipswich Rd buses during trackwork, at least one knows when they are coming unlike the rail buses.

And as per normal during trackwork the signage at the station either confuses people or is ignored given the people waiting on the platform. The Commonwealth Games replacement was an excellent example of how it can be done with detailed signage showing bus stop locations and directions and timetabled replacement buses which also appeared on real time apps.

Having clearer signage and automated announcements at affected stations could be done easily and I've suggested it to QR before but nothing changes.

ozbob

22nd July 2018

Rail replacement buses off the rails yet again!

Good Morning,

More issues with rail replacement buses yesterday.  This weekend there are track closures:
buses are replacing trains Roma Street to Corinda, Yeerongpilly & Murarrie.

A disturbing mess at the Cultural Centre yesterday afternoon was highlighted on social media

https://twitter.com/TransFixSEQ/status/1020560958970769408

Cultural Centre 21st July 2018

I have previously posted what needs to occur.  Rail replacement bus procedures need urgent review and improvement.

https://www.facebook.com/RAILBackOnTrack/posts/2098361713511338?comment_id=2120490591298450

Quote7th July 2018

Good Morning,

I spent last week in Melbourne. On Thursday last I travelled to Altona for a tour of the Kororoit Creek Road Level Crossing Removal project.

The rail service from Newport to Altona is temporarily suspended due to the works and rail replacement bus is operating. As is the normal situation in Melbourne when there are track closures rail replacement bus timetables are published. This is something that is needed for track closures in SEQ. TransLink managed to produce rail replacement bus timetables for the Beenleigh line alterations for the recent Commonwealth Games. As there was a rail replacement bus timetable planning my journey to Altona was easily done.

In SEQ, the situation for track closures is that there are no rail replacement bus timetables. It is then unknown as to the times for the first and last scheduled services and what the frequency of the bus service will be. It is time that TransLink and Queensland Rail acted to ensure there is a proper focussed effort on improving rail replacement bus for planned closures.

Key points:

1. Publish rail replacement bus timetables for all planned closures, at least two weeks prior.
2. Publish the bus service patterns, e.g. express and stopping patterns, at least two weeks prior.
4. Ensure there are well placed, properly informed staff to assist and direct at key interchange points and stations. Too often passengers are given incorrect information from ' staff '.
5. Ensure that the bus replacement service frequency is better than the replaced rail frequency as this makes for better connections and shorter overall journey times. A source of constant frustration for passengers.

It is time a rocket was put through under-performing TransLink and Queensland Rail.
We have had enough of the mediocrity that is spun as ' customer focussed service '. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Another example of the failure that is the transport portfolio.  It is time TransLink was cleaned out of bumblers and turned into a proper public transport customer focussed  and responsive outfit.  The constant failure is not acceptable any more.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

ozbob

Quote from: brissypete on July 21, 2018, 17:55:27 PM
I'm fortunate living near Fairfield Station that I can use the 196 or Ipswich Rd buses during trackwork, at least one knows when they are coming unlike the rail buses.

And as per normal during trackwork the signage at the station either confuses people or is ignored given the people waiting on the platform. The Commonwealth Games replacement was an excellent example of how it can be done with detailed signage showing bus stop locations and directions and timetabled replacement buses which also appeared on real time apps.

Having clearer signage and automated announcements at affected stations could be done easily and I've suggested it to QR before but nothing changes.

Thanks for your comments brissypete.  I have too suggested many times over the years that announcements be made on closed platforms so waiting passengers can be alerted.  The signage is better than what it once was, but still people don't notice it for whatever reason.  Voice would help.  The excuse has always been too hard to configure the system so that they can do it on only the closed stations.  I reckon that might be right as I understand the system is quite ancient.  But I will try to follow up again.

Really is time for a major overhaul of all aspects of rail replacement bus for track closures.

The last big improvements were when one Sunday I wandered down to Goodna rail during a closure and there were around 30 people waiting for a train.  I said to myself enough, so I immediately rang the then Transport Minister Ms. Palaszczuk and informed her of the situation and lack of proper signage etc.  She did take action which resulted in some improvements.  I used to drive up and down the Ippy line during closures  too once, finding people on stations and directing them to the rail replacement buses.  It was that bad.

brissypete

Just saw some comments on Facebook about rail buses asking who organises them, Translink says it's QR and QR says it's Translink. Which one is it??

ozbob

TransLink ...   :fp:

Queensland Rail used to do it once.  Been a number of years now that TransLink has been bumbling along ...

ozbob

ozbob

James

The rail closure seemed to come on a bad weekend - there seemed to be a lot more traffic on the transport network than usual.

I had two people comment to me that it is totally ridiculous that no timetables are provided for rail replacement buses. Combined with passengers being told to "allow an extra 60 minutes", it makes the services unusable, especially if travelling short distances.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

Cazza

TSXPO was on at the RNA which seemed to be pretty busy from what I saw/hear. Definitely some extra patronage there.

Plus the lions game on Sat night would have made it that bit more crazy.

ozbob

I had an interview earlier this afternoon (before the NGR Inquiry storm hit) on rail replacement bus issues, plus a little on the NGR ' power issue ' on the 7 July 2018.

I think I made a good case for rail replacement bus timetables and general improvements.

Interview with Steve Austin ABC Brisbane Drive --> https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcbrisbane23jul18.mp3 18.2MB

https://twitter.com/Robert_Dow/status/1021333719162937345

ozbob

Sent to all outlets 24th July 2018

Re: Rail replacement buses off the rails yet again!

Good Morning,

I had an interview earlier yesterday afternoon (before the NGR Inquiry storm hit) on rail replacement bus issues, plus a little on the NGR ' power issue ' on the 7 July 2018.

I think I made a good case for rail replacement bus timetables and general improvements.

Interview with Steve Austin ABC Brisbane Drive --> https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcbrisbane23jul18.mp3 18.2MB

Will anyone listen?

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on July 22, 2018, 02:44:13 AM
22nd July 2018

Rail replacement buses off the rails yet again!

Good Morning,

More issues with rail replacement buses yesterday.  This weekend there are track closures:
buses are replacing trains Roma Street to Corinda, Yeerongpilly & Murarrie.

A disturbing mess at the Cultural Centre yesterday afternoon was highlighted on social media

https://twitter.com/TransFixSEQ/status/1020560958970769408

Cultural Centre 21st July 2018

I have previously posted what needs to occur.  Rail replacement bus procedures need urgent review and improvement.

https://www.facebook.com/RAILBackOnTrack/posts/2098361713511338?comment_id=2120490591298450

Quote7th July 2018

Good Morning,

I spent last week in Melbourne. On Thursday last I travelled to Altona for a tour of the Kororoit Creek Road Level Crossing Removal project.

The rail service from Newport to Altona is temporarily suspended due to the works and rail replacement bus is operating. As is the normal situation in Melbourne when there are track closures rail replacement bus timetables are published. This is something that is needed for track closures in SEQ. TransLink managed to produce rail replacement bus timetables for the Beenleigh line alterations for the recent Commonwealth Games. As there was a rail replacement bus timetable planning my journey to Altona was easily done.

In SEQ, the situation for track closures is that there are no rail replacement bus timetables. It is then unknown as to the times for the first and last scheduled services and what the frequency of the bus service will be. It is time that TransLink and Queensland Rail acted to ensure there is a proper focussed effort on improving rail replacement bus for planned closures.

Key points:

5. Ensure that the bus replacement service frequency is better than the replaced rail frequency as this makes for better connections and shorter overall journey times. A source of constant frustration for passengers.

We have had enough of the mediocrity that is spun as ' customer focussed service '. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Another example of the failure that is the transport portfolio.  It is time TransLink was cleaned out of bumblers and turned into a proper public transport customer focussed  and responsive outfit.  The constant failure is not acceptable any more.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

ozbob

Hey brissypete ... managed to work in voice announcements into the interview on ABC Radio yesterday

Interview > https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcbrisbane23jul18.mp3

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

3rd August 2018

Good Morning,

I spent a week in Melbourne early July. When I was in Melbourne I travelled to Altona for a tour of the Kororoit Creek Road Level Crossing Removal project.

The rail service from Newport to Altona was temporarily suspended due to the works and rail replacement bus was operating. As is the normal situation in Melbourne when there are track closures rail replacement bus timetables are published. As there was a rail replacement bus timetable planning my journey to Altona was easily done. This is something that is needed for track closures in SEQ. TransLink managed to produce rail replacement bus timetables for the Beenleigh line alterations for the recent Commonwealth Games, so they can achieve it.

There is yet another track closure this coming weekend from Corinda to Rosewood and Springfield Central ( https://translink.com.au/service-updates/182636 ). No rail replacement bus timetables, it is all hit and miss!

In SEQ, the situation for track closures is that generally there are no rail replacement bus timetables. It is then unknown as to the times for the first and last scheduled services and what the frequency of the bus service will be, and the bus operating patterns eg. all stations, express and so forth. It is time that TransLink and Queensland Rail acted to ensure there is a proper focussed effort on improving rail replacement bus for planned closures.

Key points:

4. Ensure there are well placed, properly informed staff to assist and direct at key interchange points and stations.
Too often passengers are given incorrect information from ' staff '.
5. Ensure that the bus replacement service frequency is better than the replaced rail frequency as this makes
for better connections and shorter overall journey times. A source of constant frustration for passengers.

I expanded on the need for this important adjunct for track closures with an interview with Steve Austin
on 23rd July 2018  ABC Radio Brisbane on rail replacement bus issues.
Listen here --> https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcbrisbane23jul18.mp3

We have had enough of the mediocrity that is spun as ' customer focussed service '.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

ozbob

https://twitter.com/Robert_Dow/status/1025420590146977793

ozbob

Letter to the Editor Queensland Times 6th August 2018 page 13

Let's get rail network sorted out now

ozbob

PoliticalFootball

Here's a big one for you.

Have been told over Christmas week 22nd-29th Dec they are planning to replace the Breaky Creek bridge. Assume this is for CRR? This will mean no trains north of Bowen Hills (except Ferny Grove).

ozbob

Quote from: PoliticalFootball on August 30, 2018, 05:59:53 AM

Have been told over Christmas week 22nd-29th Dec they are planning to replace the Breaky Creek bridge. Assume this is for CRR? This will mean no trains north of Bowen Hills (except Ferny Grove).

Thanks for the heads up!   8)

PoliticalFootball

Quote from: ozbob on August 30, 2018, 06:05:23 AM
Quote from: PoliticalFootball on August 30, 2018, 05:59:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up!   8)

Think they want to finally finish the signalling upgrade out to Corinda as well. That will mean basically the whole network shut down if they do both projects!

red dragin

All of the Breakfast Creek bridges, or just the older eastern one? There is at least two, possibly three.

bretto82

Doubt they will have the staff to undertake 2 10 day shuts in 2 different locations over Xmas with business as usual works on top bud

PoliticalFootball

Quote from: red dragin on August 30, 2018, 06:36:06 AM
All of the Breakfast Creek bridges, or just the older eastern one? There is at least two, possibly three.

Unsure. All the CRR traffic will be funnelled through there though.

PoliticalFootball

Quote from: bretto82 on August 30, 2018, 06:39:10 AM
Doubt they will have the staff to undertake 2 10 day shuts in 2 different locations over Xmas with business as usual works on top bud

Who knows. Contracts maybe? Bridge replacement not something QR usually does.

🡱 🡳