• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Tour 14th APRIL 2009 Caboolture - Beerburrum

Started by ozbob, March 27, 2009, 15:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://www.qr.com.au/SEQIP/Images/CAB_BEERBURRUMConstructionUpdateFeb09_tcm30-26456.pdf  Thanks for the link Arnz.

New duplication in use from 4am 14th April for QR Citytrain services.

Plan for the day Tuesday  14th  April  2009 - modified.

Central 8am Nambour Service  (Caboolture 8.45am)  Car 1

Arrive Elimbah 8.57am  Detrain  check out the new station etc.

Depart Elimbah 9.54am,  Arrive Beerburrum 9.59am, detrain. Check out the new station etc.

Depart Beerburrum rail bus 11.32am (alternate  rail 12.07pm)  Arrive Landsborough 11.57am (alternate  rail 12.24pm).  Lunch etc.

------------------

Depart Landsborough 2.37pm, Arrive Caboolture 3.08pm. Arrive Central 3.56pm.

------------------

Anyone interested?  Realise normal work day for many ..

The new Elimbah Station as it was on the 31st Dec 2008

Photograph mufreight 31st December 2008
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

bladesplace

Pencil me in for this one, Bob!

I'm trying to work out how the public will get from the carparks at Elimbah and Beerburrum to the station platforms itself. At both stations, the current track divides the car park (eastern side of the track) from the new station itself (on the western side).   :-w

Then, one would have to climb up the fence around the edges of the platform to get onto the platform itself - so what exactly is going on there? I'm assuming this will be rectified before the opening of the line?   ???
TransStink - because your guess is as good as ours! ;)

Arnz

It says on the pdf link that "temporary" bridges will be put in place from the old platforms to the new ones in time for the comissioning.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

Great MJ!   Be nice to catch up with you again.

The new duplication is a very impressive project.

:)

Fridge

you can see at the bottom of the stairs on the western platforms that there is a small section that is fenced with wooden sleepers and shadecloth and there are piles of steel beams and such in the new Elimbah carpark and at the site office at Beerburrum, so they reckon they will build the bridges when the line is shut down over Easter.  Are they also going to transfer the GoCard facilities over as well? Currently there isn't any on the new platforms and in the link provided above they are looking to remove the old track and platforms in the very near future.

ozbob

We will find out on the 14th Fridge!  I will be using go card ...

:D

bladesplace

Hey cool, thanks for that link arnz, and for that info Fridge. I never even noticed that fenced off area.  :P

Quote from: Fridgelink provided above they are looking to remove the old track and platforms

The platforms are being removed, but the track isn't. It's going to be kept, mainly for freight trains to bypass passenger train congestion.

Arnz

I believe only the Caboolture - Elimbah old track will be kept (untill it hits the 60km/h curve).  The rest of the track will be removed from what I have read and will be returned as bushland.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

rob2144

Went past the new line today and noticed at Beerburrum there was 140 speedboards in place, last time i saw it it was only 120.

Otto

Pity the opening was'nt a week later, then I'd be on holidays and could come..  :(
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

ozbob

Beerburrum Station

Track vehicle ... munster

Photographs mufreight 1st March 2009

Derwan

Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

ozbob

ozbob

QR Media Release
30 March, 2009

Caboolture to Beerburrum rail upgrade progressing

Passengers using the North Coast rail line will benefit from new stations and an extra track, with work
progressing on the Caboolture to Beerburrum track duplication project.

To minimise impact on the community and Citytrain passengers, QR will close the track between Petrie
and Nambour/Gympie North over the Easter weekend (9 ? 13 April 2009) for infrastructure and
maintenance works in the rail corridor.

QR Passenger Executive General Manager Paul Scurrah said the $298 million project involved
straightening and duplicating two new tracks from Caboolture to Beerburrum and construction of new
stations at Elimbah and Beerburrum.

?This project demonstrates QR?s commitment to providing better, safer services and facilities for our
customers,? Mr Scurrah said.

?Two new 13.7 kilometre rail lines will replace the single winding track which at the moment slows trains
down and also eliminates the need to wait for other trains to pass.

?The new stations boast new lifts, footbridges, shelters, CCTV security cameras and other features to
improve customer safety and accessibility.

?We have also lengthened the platform at Beerburrum to accommodate six-car trains.
?I would like to thank local communities for their patience and understanding during construction of this
landmark project, which will increase rail capacity and improve services for the region when completed
later this year.?

During the track closure, buses will replace trains on all inbound and outbound services between Petrie
and Nambour/Gympie North stations from 7.30pm on Thursday 9 April 2009 until the last train on
Monday 13 April 2009.

?No time is a good time to close a rail line, however, it is necessary to close the line for four days in
order to complete vital signalling work that could not be done in a shorter timeframe,? Mr Scurrah said.

?This work has been scheduled for a traditionally quiet time over the Easter holiday period to ensure
minimal impact on QR passengers and customers.

?Buses will convey Citytrain passengers between Petrie and Nambour/Gympie stations, stopping at all
stations.?

Mr Scurrah urged customers affected by the closure to plan their journeys by allowing an extra 30
minutes to reach their destination.

?We are concerned that there will be extra traffic on the roads over the Easter holidays which could
cause some delays,? he said.

?We have organised ample buses on the route to replace rail services in a bid to minimise disruptions.
Customer service officers will also be on hand to assist people with their journeys.?

Buses will also replace all Traveltrain services between Roma Street and Nambour, with the exception
of four services. Passengers travelling to Rockhampton on the Spirit of the Outback on Saturday 11
April and the Cairns Tilt Train on Monday 13 and 15 April will travel by bus for the whole journey.
Passengers travelling on the Sunlander on Sunday 12 April will be transported by bus from Roma
Street station to connect with the train at Gympie North.

QR has contacted Traveltrain customers to advise them of the changes.

For more information on Traveltrain service changes, people can visit www.traveltrain.com.au or call
1800 627 655.

ozbob

http://www.citytrain.com.au/plan_your_trip/service_alterations/service_alterations.asp

QuoteMajor Track Work from Petrie to Gympie North: Thursday 9 Apr - Monday 13 Apr

From 7.30pm Thursday 9 April to last train on Monday 13 April 2009, all QR Citytrain services between Petrie and Gympie North stations will be replaced by bus services.

Buses will stop all station between Petrie and Gympie North stations with a connecting train service to Brisbane City.

This track work is part of the Caboolture to Beerburrum Track Duplication project, constructing a second track from Caboolture to Beerburrum to provide more trains on the North Coast line in the future.

Along with the new track, Elimbah and Beerburrum stations will be upgraded with new facilities, security, accessibility and extra parking.

Buses will run instead of trains to connect services.

Delays of up to 30 minutes may be experienced. Guardian Train services may be affected during t his track closure.

For more information call TransLink on 13 12 30 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

ozbob

Extra bonus.  The first leg of the Q150 Steam Train (Brisbane to Gympie) will be passing through Beerburrum at 11.08am on April 14th.  Make a nice contrast, steam and the new Beerburrum station.

:-c

rob2144

Will anyone here catch the last Nambour service on Thursday night? Dep Roma St 22:57 Arr Nambour 00:45

ozbob

Arnz

Quote from: rob2144 on April 05, 2009, 20:30:58 PM
Will anyone here catch the last Nambour service on Thursday night? Dep Roma St 22:57 Arr Nambour 00:45

The North Coast Line north of Petrie station will be closed after 7:30pm tonight, so technically the last service will be the 5:44pm Gympie North service, terminating Nambour at 7:30pm (assumably with buses substituting at Nambour for Gympie, if the 7:30pm closedown applies to all services in the entire Petrie-Gympie North section).
Rgds,
Arnz

WTN

Hi there,

I'm new here, but I've travelled a lot on public transport.  I'm thinking about joining in for this trip - I've never travelled the Nambour Line before (only to Petrie). 

I was originally thinking about travelling all the way to Nambour and the Big Pineapple, but I guess that could be a bit far.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

ozbob

G'day and Welcome WTN,

You are most welcome to come along with us, I will be only going to Landsborough.  Nothing stopping you going on if you wish.

We won't be hard to recognise  :-c

Regards
Bob

bladesplace

Bob,

I'll probably be boarding at Northgate. Will you all be in the first car again?

Save me a seat, will you!  :-r

Arnz

Drove to Caboolture via Steve Irwin Way and Beerburrum this morning.  The new line is already connected to the NCL, seems workers were at it overnight.
Rgds,
Arnz

WTN

Sounds like the new track will be ready for Tuesday.

If it all goes to plan, I'll use my go card and join Bob at Central.  I'll also try to source a GPS receiver so we'll (hopefully) see the train's speed as we travel.  Could be interesting.

Bob, are we all bringing our own lunch or buying from the shops?
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

ozbob

Great!  Normally have lunch at Landsborough.  Meals at the hotel across the road from the station, or there are other shops as well.

Regards
Bob

WTN

Lunch looks good.  Looking forward to seeing something new.

I got the GPS receiver.  It does need to be "tethered" to my (beefy) laptop to be useful though.  Come Easter Monday and I may take it for a test run down one of the lines.

rob2144

Quote from: WTN on April 10, 2009, 20:22:19 PM
Sounds like the new track will be ready for Tuesday.

Its already in use, a few freights rumbled through last night.

ozbob

rob2144

Quote from: ozbob on April 12, 2009, 07:01:21 AM
Thanks for the update rob!

;) :-t

No probs

Went past the sites yesterday and it looks as tho the main part of the overhead had been installed and they were fine tuning, also a few sections of the old line had been lifted, most noticeably at at the new Mansfield Rd intersection. The retained section which forms the 3 track stretch a few culverts had been excavated and renewed. The temporary access to the platforms has been put in place using scaffold, entrance to the new stations is via the old entrance.

Sunlander and CTT were stabled at Palmwoods yesterday with the CTT inundated with security!

rob2144

also sounded like one of the 3 6car IMUs stabled at nambour left around 1200-1230 possibly for testing/driver training on the new line

Arnz

The entrance to the new platforms are now in place.  It is temporary scafolding via the old Platforms.  I've sighted one go card machine on the new platforms at Beerburrum, but not sure if theres a second.  The go card readers were still at the old entrance when I visited this morning.
Rgds,
Arnz

ozbob

The following erail alert has just been received. This suggests some minor delays in the resumption of services.  I am still heading north as planned.   There has been a lot of heavy rain in the general area, no surprise that there might be some minor delays.

Quote14 Apr 2009

Services on Nambour Line are cancelled between Landsborough and Caboolture due to signalling fault. Service to resume by 7:00 AM.

Alt. transport operating between Landsborough and Caboolture.

From http://www.citytrain.com.au/  Nothing on the TTA site as at 3.40am ...  ::)

Thanks for the timely updates QR Citytrain!

QuoteNambour Line : Cancelled between Landsborough and Caboolture
14 Apr 2009

Services on Nambour Line are cancelled between Landsborough and Caboolture due to signalling fault. Service to resume by 7:00 AM.

Alt. transport operating between Landsborough and Caboolture.

For further enquiries or timetable information please contact TransLink on 13 12 30 or www.translink.com.au.

We regret this change to your regular service and we appreciate your patience as we work to minimise this delay.

Also

QuoteCaboolture Line : Cancelled between Caboolture and Narangba
14 Apr 2009

Services on Caboolture Line are cancelled between Caboolture and Narangba due to signalling fault. Service to resume by 5:20 AM.
Alt. transport operating between Caboolture and Narangba.

For further enquiries or timetable information please contact TransLink on 13 12 30 or www.translink.com.au.

We regret this change to your regular service and we appreciate your patience as we work to minimise this delay.

ozbob

Just checked the BOM radar --> http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR661.loop.shtml#skip

Looks like it will be clearing for a while.

Forecast http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ10095.shtml

QuoteForecast for Tuesday
Rain periods, gradually easing to a few showers during the day with a possible
late thunderstorm. Moderate SE to SW winds, tending light to moderate SW to NW
during the afternoon. 

Take an umbrella   :P

ozbob

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
14/04/2009

Trains start using new Caboolture to Beerburrum tracks

Passenger and freight trains will this morning start using the new tracks
between Caboolture and Beerburrum.

The final construction works and testing of the new track, overhead and
signalling systems were successfully completed over Easter from 10-13 April.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said the completion of the work represented
a major milestone for the Government's $298 million Caboolture to Beerburrum
Track Duplication Project.

"This project is an important step towards improving rail services for the
North Coast region.

"The two new 13.7km bi-directional tracks replace a single winding track and
eliminate the need for trains to wait to pass each other, making for a
smoother, quicker trip," she said.

Ms Nolan said 40,000 concrete rail sleepers had been laid, 118,000 tonnes of
ballast had been deposited on the new track, more than 500 new masts had
been erected, and 95 kilometres of overhead electrica l wiring had been
installed in the construction of the new tracks.

"The project has delivered major benefits to the region through the creation
of more than 1,500 new jobs as well as supporting local industries and
injecting money into the local economy," she said.

"This is a great outcome for QR's freight and passenger customers. We now
have low maintenance railway tracks with much great operational flexibility.

"The project also includes the construction of five new bridges, with four
rail bridges and one road-over-rail bridge, and two new architecturally
designed stations at Elimbah and Beerburrum

"The new stations are a key part of improving rail facilities for the
Sunshine Coast region, creating a legacy for the community. Both stations
feature glazed glass lift shafts that are striking icons against the
picturesque north coast scenery.

"The new stations feature lifts to provide easy access, parking for people
with disabilities, upgraded car parks, new platforms, footbridges, shelters,
walkways, lighting and security.

"Now the old track can be removed, allowing construction of permanent access
ramps to the new platforms and the extension of Mansfield Road to Beerburrum
Road. These works are expected to take around three months.

"I would like to thank local communities for their patience and
understanding during construction of this landmark project for the Sunshine
Coast region," Ms Nolan said.

The project is on target to be completed by mid 2009.

For more information about the Caboolture to Beerburrum Track Duplication
Project, please contact the project team on 1800 243 982 (freecall) or email
C2B@trackstar.incite.com.au.

==============================================================

:-t

ozbob

Seven of us made the trip up north today for the opening of the new section Caboolture to Beerburrum. 

A very interesting day.  I will post some photographs in due course. 

Normal services resumed on the new section at about 9.30am.  There were some delays from the scheduled opening (4am) due to the heavy rain over the break.

Once running everything went well track wise. Still some work to do on the stations to finish.  Overall, a job well done.

:)

brad C

Saw your down Nambour SMU service at Petriethis morning and wondered if you would get through. I was on a very crowded Roma Street service which had filled at Caboolture from bussed passengers off the stranded Gympie North service and late running Bribie Isalnd co-ordinateds.

This duplication is the 'sleeping giant' as it represents 21st century standards for main line passenger and freight construction, previously only seen on the new mineral lines in CQ. Whilst new lines have been/are being constructed around the suburbs to similar standards, the ability to resume property in order to realign the tracks thus ensuring the attainment of faster sectional running has given this project the advantage over other recent upgrades (apart from the GC line, which is solely passenger).

Imagine this standard of tracks all the way to Gympie North or Toowoomba and the potential for greater commuter and freight haulage.

Congratulations must go the all the teams from Trackstar and QR for a job well done.

Unfortunately the Minister does not mention a further commitment to the next section to be duplicated (Beerburrum to Landsborough)
Government must continue to direct funds to this important infrastructure, not only as a catalyst to the promised Sunshine Coast spur, but also in the interests of reducing the dependence on road for freight hualage.

Let us hope that some bright spark in QR can persuade management to reintroduce electric haualed freight back to the NCL (particularly with a slump in coal exports) so that we can see this duplication operating to its full potential.

Look forward to the photos!!

ozbob

Media Release 14 April 2009

SEQ:   Caboolture to Beerburrum Track Duplication opens with style!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport has congratulated TRACKSTAR Alliance on the successful commissioning of the new double mainline between Caboolture and Beerburrum today.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for  RAIL Back On Track said:

"Stage one of the duplication between Caboolture and Landsborough is now in use.  RAIL Back On Track Members travelled by QR Citytrain and QR Rail bus to check out this important project first hand today."

"Due to heavy rain over Easter in the area, there was a minor delay for the resumption of normal rail services this morning.  Once all systems were in place trains promptly commenced running over this 'state of the art' high speed double mainline."

"It was most appropriate that one of the first trains heading north over the new section was the Q150 Steam Train. Locomotive BB18? 4-6-2 No. 1079 provided a great visual experience and physical contrast with the blend of living Queensland railway history and modern railroad practice, as it passed through the newest railway stations in Queensland and travelled on the the new high speed railway line."

"This new section of railway will allow for increased numbers of trains and shorter travelling times for passengers and freight trains. It is an essential upgrade."

"It is important that this momentum is maintained and stage two of the project, the Beerburrum to Landsborough track duplication be started as soon as possible to further position Queensland for a sustainable transport future."

"To all who have contributed to this project, well done!  Today's successful commissioning was a very significant milestone."

See below for photographs

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

For all RAIL Back On Track Media Releases please visit http://backontrack.org/mbs/index.php?board=19.0

The Q150 Steam Train approaching and passing through the new Beerburrum Station.
Photographs R Dow 14th April 2009

ozbob

Beerburrum

Tilt Up (south)

Sunlander Up (south)

First Citytrain Down (north)

Where the old meets the new track, just immediately north of Beerburrum

Old station track formation

Bus we travelled on from Elimbah to Beerburrum

Photographs R Dow 14th April 2009

WTN

I thought I'd share my experiences from today (a very mixed bag).  Unfortunately, I didn't quite make the meet and went on my own journey.

I wasn't able to make the 8am Nambour service, so I ended up with the 8:43 (from Roma St) Caboolture service, with connecting train.  There were also PA announcements regarding the Q150 steam train on platform 10, but I couldn't see it from platform 9.  Anyway, on my approach to Caboolture, the guard announced that the connecting service to Nambour will be a bus, not a train.  I did see a train saying "Nambour", but it was empty and slowly going the "wrong" way, so I guessed it wasn't really in service.  So I got on a Railbus (go card reader off) after telling the driver I was going to Landsborough.  What a mistake!  He didn't stop until there, despite being "all-stations". 

On arriving at Landsborough, I decided to have a look around the station and wait until the others arrive.  Lots of people were on platform 1.  I waited with them thinking they were destined for Nambour.  Wrong!  They got on a Roma St train.  I should've used this to get to Beerburrum, but that didn't come to mind.  Another "Nambour" train pulled up on platform 2, but completely empty.  By then (~10:30am), I was getting quite confused about the supposed track work.  I wasn't going to wait another hour or so for other members to arrive (and not knowing if they will arrive as planned), so I gave up and got on the next Railbus (express) to Nambour.  This bus had a working go card reader, but the driver just let me on when I told him I already touched on at the station (I touched back on at Caboolture).

I touched off at Nambour station then ran towards bus 610 (waiting) on my way to the Big Pineapple for lunch.  When I touched on, it didn't transfer!  I only had 2 transfers so far, so I wondered why.  Then I realised because I was touching on more than 3.5hrs after starting my journey.  That was something to be aware of!  It's not 3.5hrs between individual touch-ons, it 3.5hrs between the first and all touch-ons. 

I eventually found my way to the Big Pineapple, after getting off far too early, grossly underestimating the walking distance, and finally finding a stop serviced by the 610, and reboarding.  I learned the hard way that one should read the route map and timetables of the route before travelling.  Fortunately, my 1-stop trip was a transfer! 

My return journey went a little more smoothly.  I was a bit surprised that the Nambour-bound Big Pineapple stop was just a signpost, complete with narrow gravel shoulder, no seats, no shelter, having an overgrown-grass, maze-like walkway, and in 90km/h traffic!  Just when I reached the stop, the 636 pulled past.  My jaw dropped.  The driver wasn't happy and drove on.  Understandably, it was impossible to stop in such a situation.  I was just unlucky.  I spent the next 35-40min sitting by the roadside for the next service (2:45pm 610), hoping that I could make the 3:08pm train back to Brissie.  With the huge volume of cars passing me, I felt like a lonely hitch-hiker.  Public transport users deserved better.

Upon arrival at Nambour station, the SMU236 (no HS) bound for Roma St was already there.  I desperately ran, touched-on (transferred) and got on.  I rode in the front car.  I was astonished to experience how narrow and "slow" (though not quite), the old, winding, single track in the northern stations are.  Sure, it was faster in some sections, but it didn't compare to the new track.  All the comments in this thread were true.  The track was very straight and the ride quality was very fast and smooth.  There were 140/160km/h speed boards almost throughout.  Stations looked very clean and well built, although I didn't detrain to check them out.  I found this stretch of railway an impressive testament to modern engineering and design.  Some track had been lifted around Beerburrum station and the old overhead wiring was a bit of a mess in random places.  The old stations seemed somewhat partially demolished.  I can also confirm that temporary bridges were placed to bridge the old platform to the new.

The new track was so good I began feeling some differences when travelling express past Caboolture.  I'd like to imagine if ALL our tracks were built to this high standard.  But that would be a dream!

As I continued my journey towards Central, the guard stopped announcing that the destination was Roma St.  It changed to Rosewood all-stations.  Go figure!  Wasn't useful to me as I arrived safely at Central and soon went home.  My go card went into the red and needed topping up. 

-----------------------------------------------------

As for the GPS data, I couldn't get any reception inside the carriage.  It didn't work whether it was a window seat, front carriage or rear set. GPS worked okay on the Railbus, but not what I was really after.

And finally, I'd like to give a big thanks to Bob for getting us all out there to see the real world, and for taking so many wonderful photos.  I really wished I was there to see the Q150 train and all the rare sights with you all, but I got caught up in a muddle! 

ozbob

Sorry we missed you WTN!  Glad you had a great day too by the sound of things.  Thanks for your comments and observations.

Some photographs from mufreight of trains around Beerburrum shortly after opening of the new section.

Photographs mufreight 14th April 2009

🡱 🡳